As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i think it's total and complete bullshit, but hey, people bought so many CoD4 map packs that it's now standard practice and nobody cares.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    i think it's total and complete bullshit, but hey, people bought so many CoD4 map packs that it's now standard practice and nobody cares.

Cod-dammit!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I got Battlechasers for christmas and just now started playing it finished the second dungeon.

This game has some fairly obvious performance issues but it's fun enough to ignore them

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    In the NSO update that introduced January's two or three games, new translation strings have also appeared for most languages on most of that datamined SNES list. (notably starfox/2 and yoshi's island are still in japanese only.) So we may be looking at something dropped very soon.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Is...is Tropical Freeze about colonization?!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    guys. The Pro Controller is too good for this world. I'm having a hard time going back to the olde DS4. I think it even makes the Wii U controller feel bad.

My man! Nothing against the Cons, but the pro controller just feels better in my hands.
    Cantido wrote: »

Is Funky Kong a part of the military-industrial complex?!!

edzepp on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    guys. The Pro Controller is too good for this world. I'm having a hard time going back to the olde DS4. I think it even makes the Wii U controller feel bad.

My man! Nothing against the Cons, but the pro controller just feels better in my hands.

Funky Kong IS the military-industrial complex.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    In the NSO update that introduced January's two or three games, new translation strings have also appeared for most languages on most of that datamined SNES list. (notably starfox/2 and yoshi's island are still in japanese only.) So we may be looking at something dropped very soon.

It kind of annoys me for this and the NES release that they are including games that weren’t on the NES and SNES classics.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Taramoor wrote: »

Worldview=shattered

oh god, that's why his Spirit Fight in Smash Bros is just Bullet Bills! Ahhhhhhh

edzepp on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

It kind of annoys me for this and the NES release that they are including games that weren’t on the NES and SNES classics.

It's not surprising. I figured they would wait until the snes classics were all cleared out before any of this got out there.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Oh, so the physical edition of Travis Strikes Again comes with a code for the Season Pass. So I guess I'll just be getting both the Shinobu and Bad Girl DLCs at some point.

Don't think I'll have a lot of time to actually try the game today, but one never knows.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

I own the NES and SNES classics and I'd be upset if they just gave us the same games that are on those. It would make buying them feel a bit pointless, like why did I spend so much on those things when I have the same games more easily accessible/portable for $5. Great to have a mix of games on both.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

2c2spob4guys.png

2db5jhaxpec1.png

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

I own the NES and SNES classics and I'd be upset if they just gave us the same games that are on those. It would make buying them feel a bit pointless, like why did I spend so much on those things when I have the same games more easily accessible/portable for $5. Great to have a mix of games on both.

I’d feel less annoyed if the classic boxes had online support and there were a legitimate way to purchase additional games.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    My left joy con has been disconnecting so I decided to do the conductive foam fix myself since it’s out of warranty. Ordered the tri-point screwdriver but I’m hesitant on ordering a big piece of foam that I’m only going to use a bit of. Also I’ve seen reddit posts and this video where they instead move an existing piece of foam to the Bluetooth antenna. Has anyone here tried this method?

https://youtu.be/qzM1gqrRoqA

BronzeKoopa on
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    In the spirit of the thread title, I was craving a good 2-D sidescrolling platformer. After reading up on NSMBU and DK: TF, it sounds like DK is leaps and bounds better than NSMBU. Anyone who has experience with both who can confirm or deny? I'm down to order and play both if they're both good, but some comparisons say that what is lacking in NSMBU that DK has is enough to not recommend it.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Both are good.

If you plan on playing solo then I recommend DK, it is fantastic. Fun with two players too.

NSMBU really shines in multiplayer but perhaps not as good a solo experience as DK, IMHO.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I loved DKCR, but I just couldn't get into Tropical Freeze. The platforming doesn't feel good to me at all. NSMB plays pretty great IMO. and I know some folks think it has boring level design, but I've never had a problem with it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    DKC:TF has some of the most beautiful levels I've ever seen, where every level basically tells a story. It's a feast for the senses. It's also a very hard game, especially if you try to get all the collectible doodads and secret level exits and so on.

In terms of level design, it usually does a very good job of teaching you how to play the level as you're playing it; it will introduce a level feature/obstacle in a low-pressure situation before they hammer you with it, introduce visual queues for secrets and traps and so on. However, several times I ran into things that I could not have known about without experiencing them first (and subsequently dying), and it feels extra-bullshit in those cases.

I think the feel of the game is actually kind of... bad? You know how in Required By Platformer Law Ice Levels, your character kinda keeps slipping a bit even after you let go of the movement input? Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze both feel like they're in a constant half-ice-level state. DK has so much momentum that regular, basic movement feels like a struggle. I found this tremendously aggravating.

I haven't played NSMBUD, so can't quite comment on it.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    DKCTF looks better. NSMBU is better.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Counter-point: DKCTF looks better and is better.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    DKCTF looks too much like DTF and I can't take it seriously.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Well yeah, if you're gonna ignore how awful the gameplay in DKCTF is, it's clearly better.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Counter Point: DKCTF sounds a LOT better than NSMBU.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular

Well yeah, if you're gonna ignore how awful the gameplay in DKCTF is, it's clearly better.

Did they not just iterate and build-on DKCR? If they did, then I'll love the gameplay.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Both are great. I'm replaying NSMBU on the Switch now and it is still great to play. Tropical Freeze is visually impressive but the controls take some getting use to. It is fantastic though.

NSMBU won't surprise you any as it plays like every Mario game, but the level design is top notch and it controls as fantastically as every 2D Mario game. On top of that you get NSLU which is like the base game, only much more difficult.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Does NSMBUD have auto-scrollers? The Flappy Bird-style rocket auto-scroller levels in both DKCR and DKC:TF make me want to throw the controller against the wall over and over, so if NSMBUD doesn't have any of those, I might be OK giving it the win based on that alone (and I say this as someone for whom the DKC1-3 games were fundamental during childhood).

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    You guys talking 'bout Donkey Kong: Capture The Flag in here?

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    100 Donkey Kongs vine-swing onto an island.

Wait, maybe it's pluralized as "Donkeys Kong".

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

It's "Diddy's Kong", rather than "Diddy Kong's", so this checks out.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It's "Diddy's Kong", rather than "Diddy Kong's", so this checks out.

It’s diddy’s Kong quest. So it’s a play on conquest.

im surprised we didnt get a DK themed shooter.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    I was going to write an analysis of how the subtitle should be parsed, but then I was like "Wait, why am I biting the hand that's legitimizing my shitpost?"

Also I didn't notice that it's "Diddy's Kong Quest" and not "Diddy Kong's Quest" until just a few years ago, despite getting the game at launch and playing it for a billion hours.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Does NSMBUD have auto-scrollers? The Flappy Bird-style rocket auto-scroller levels in both DKCR and DKC:TF make me want to throw the controller against the wall over and over, so if NSMBUD doesn't have any of those, I might be OK giving it the win based on that alone (and I say this as someone for whom the DKC1-3 games were fundamental during childhood).

Not that I recall...but how can you hate the rocket barrel levels. They do some really clever stuff with those. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Did they not just iterate and build-on DKCR? If they did, then I'll love the gameplay.

It's kind of funny, I played DKCR on the 3DS and didn't like it very much at first. I was planning on skipping DKCTF, right up until I reached the bonus world that the 3DS version added and loved it. They pretty obviously got better at design over time.

jothki on
    fuck mine cart levels tho.

Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Not that I recall...but how can you hate the rocket barrel levels. They do some really clever stuff with those. :P
    Like what?

Not trying to bait you, genuinely curious. I spent so much time fuming at those levels (I hate forced movement) that I probably didn't notice a lot of cool stuff. If I remember correctly, at one point you're flying inside a wheel of cheese with a chunk missing? That was cool. Also, those levels routinely have the cutest enemies - bats in DKCR and rats in DKC:TF, if I recall correctly. But, my annoyance at the auto-scrolling kind of trumped all that, for me.

fuck mine cart levels tho.
    This is what I thought when I played the games as a kid, but then later I got good at them and was like "mine carts 4 lyfe".

The best mine carts are the skull carts from DKC2.