As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    What ho, hunterinos!

The wife is at an anime convention this weekend and took our darling 6.5-month-old with her*. Got some business to take care of Saturday afternoon, but at any point after like 5 or 6pm that day and all day Sunday I will be available for the transforming of Ultimate monsters into sweet, sweet carves. @entaru if you get your re-transfer done this would be a great opportunity for me (us) to help get you back to where you should be.

*I have to take care of the cat and hate people.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I am in.

I have some things to do Saturday afternoon as well but I should be able to hit about 6.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    That's perfect. I should be done at the FLGS long before then.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yeah baby!!

First we got Vaal for my final Large Crown
    7k8sgkq132km.jpg

Then in less than 5 hunts I got my Nerg mini crown for the final crown
    8vqxy5zuj039.jpg

And then I was like.. wtf, why no plat trophy... oh crap, I needed some more Arena. I wish they had a counter of how many arena I needed, but they don't, so I went in blind. When suddenly (turns out I only needed 3).
    iadpnyxzr2aq.jpg

Images spoilered for size, don't need it taking up the whole page >_<

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Oh boy, looking at the event calendar on PC, and "The Greatest Jagras" is gonna be in the upcoming festival.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    I wish they had a counter of how many arena I needed, but they don't, so I went in blind.

First page of your guild card has an 'arena quests' counter.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Well it took me a lot longer than I would have liked but I finally beat Advanced: Out of the Fry Pan. Ended up using Aerial Insect Glaive and nearly ran out of everything of the full inventory I brought in. Now to figure out how to slot this feather into my sets.

This was the last thing I really wanted to complete in Generations so I might start thinking of picking up Generations Ultimate.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I am in.

I have some things to do Saturday afternoon as well but I should be able to hit about 6.

I'm at a birthday party in afternoon so if I'm back I'll help too! I know Ogretz, Solvaal and I are working on S's armor set later (8ish) so I'll switch over by then.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
      I just realized that, after having sunk close to 200 hours into MHW, I still only have a single Attack Jewel. Additionally, I have used a Hammer for 99% of the missions I've played, and still don't have a single Hammer augmentation stone, despite having 3-6 of literally every other weapon augmentation stone.

I am, perhaps, the most unlucky Hunter who ever lived.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
      milk ducks wrote: »
      I just realized that, after having sunk close to 200 hours into MHW, I still only have a single Attack Jewel. Additionally, I have used a Hammer for 99% of the missions I've played, and still don't have a single Hammer augmentation stone, despite having 3-6 of literally every other weapon augmentation stone.

I am, perhaps, the most unlucky Hunter who ever lived.

Im in the same boat for gems, its hard to get a lot of the good ones without save scumming. And that makes me sad for you about the hammer. I built the diablos one because i had extra hammer gems laying around.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
      i have over 700 hours in and only two attack jewels

@entaru @TimFiji

Got back from FLGS later than anticipated. Having a quick meal and then gotta salt the driveway before I hop on. Should be no later than 7.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
      Nice work @Klatu!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
      I'm over 300 hrs now and still only the one attack gem, but I have a few extra gems for most weapon types, except my Anja Fire bow is only 2/3 augmented, can't get that last gem for final augment.

I guess we're in down time until the appreciation fest now, but it gives me another shot at getting my last few layered bits I need as well, so can't wait to fight the greatest jagras and AT Xeno again :D Maybe AT kulve will give me some LBGs this time around?

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
      so finally logged back in to do the behemoth. managed to SoS into a good group and killed it first try. then saw that the set is actually pretty easy to put together and tried to do a few more... that was a bad idea. like 8 failures in a row and i decided to just get off.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      edited January 2019
      Great hunts, @TimFiji @Vyolynce @ogretz

Thanks for helping me build back up.

Seidkona on
      Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
      Little man defeated pink rathian! With a bow!

He even got to stay up past regular bedtime to finish the hunt. Definite air of celebration here tonight.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
      In MHW PC, I see that squads are done though steam groups... but is there any way to do a squad lobby? Or do we always just have to send invites to get friends into a private lobby?

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
      As far as I could figure out squads don't do anything at all. If you're friends with them you can see and join their games in-game, regardless of their squad status.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
      You dont need to join through squad lobbies, theres the "Friend's lobby" option that will just show you all your friends in game. ive found that the friend lobbies almost never fill up, and even if they do its usually 1-2 randoms and usually a good amount of just friends joining on each other.

n1woEHJ.png
      CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
      Capture or Kill?

I'm firmly in the capture camp, ends quest sooner, with less chance of people randomly dying, more rewards. I think most of my hunters log shows that I've captured way more than I've killed.

Klatu wrote: »
      Capture or Kill?

I'm firmly in the capture camp, ends quest sooner, with less chance of people randomly dying, more rewards. I think most of my hunters log shows that I've captured way more than I've killed.

There are some rewards you can only get from carves, or are at least more common to get that way.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      edited January 2019
      While that seems to be true for older games, MHW seems to have all items available regardless of method used to finish the quest. Gamerant goes on about Gaijin Hunter using the Japanese companion guides which show that all loot is available.

Klatu on
    • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
      Yeah, in MHW you should pretty much always capture if the monster goes to sleep, just because it's quicker.

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
      Satsumomo wrote: »
      Yeah, in MHW you should pretty much always capture if the monster goes to sleep, just because it's quicker.

Also if you've double carted and there's a chance the angrily woken up monster will stomp your face.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      Look, sometimes I just want to swing a giant laser sword through their neck instead of cap.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
      so PC has extremoth up, does he have any differing mechanics from the regular fight or just bigger numbers?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
      Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
      Satsumomo wrote: »

Except Elder Dragons, of course, where you want to plants bombs on their face when they go to sleep instead.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    • hushhush Registered User regular
      NEO|Phyte wrote: »
      so PC has extremoth up, does he have any differing mechanics from the regular fight or just bigger numbers?

He is a much more aggressive version of himself, you can't flash him out of his tornadoes endlessly, he is way stingier with comets - you will get 1-2 at most per phase (and will frequently have to use the jump to dodge the one shot).

Basically you need a tank, and some very competent dps. I personally wouldn't want to roll into that fight w/o a full time support, but I'm still learning to deal with the changes.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
      NEO|Phyte wrote: »
      it's pretty different in practice

ecliptic meteor on phase 1, no comet in phase 3, period - it's a damage race to make him leave before he casts - last phase has three comets and three ecliptic meteors

builds flash resistance so you need to deal with the casting. regular meteor hits multiple targets and inflicts defense down.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
      logged in to do behemoth

not even extremoth, regular behemoth

out of like 9 attempts i think i died 1 time and my friend who was lance tanking died 3 times

23 out of 27 deaths were randos

i thought with the timing of behemoth people who manage to take the triple crown of fainting would have been weeded out by now but no, they're still here

• RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
      Orphane wrote: »
      logged in to do behemoth

not even extremoth, regular behemoth

out of like 9 attempts i think i died 1 time and my friend who was lance tanking died 3 times

23 out of 27 deaths were randos

i thought with the timing of behemoth people who manage to take the triple crown of fainting would have been weeded out by now but no, they're still here
      The people who were weeded out are the guys who already farmed the set. The guys who are left are joining your sos'.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
      Jesus, Kulve Taroth completely replaced by an archtempered version?

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
      I run bow mostly, with gunlance for variety.

Tonight I had a tempered Black Diablos investigation, 15 minutes, 4 tries, 3 blue rewards per.

First run got me an Artillery deco. Second run got me the Mighty Bow deco. Third got me Latent Power deco.

Dunno what I did to deserve all that, but I'm super happy about it.

Fourth got me two Pep Up and a Bolt, but I was okay with that.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
      PLA wrote: »
      Jesus, Kulve Taroth completely replaced by an archtempered version?

It's not a huge difference, but you'll want to put health boost 3 in your sets now since attacks hit harder. The majority of the changes are in there's a penalty if you leave quest, and the new attacks/behavior in phase 4 when she furies. Fury mode is from breaking her parts 15 times or more before she releases.

Ideal strat besides pursuit 1 breaks are to just farm tracks in area 1 until she retreats, if all groups in the hub do that she should be pursuit 3 or 4. Then make sure to break parts until you get the message from the Admiral that you've gotten enough gold, and she'll fury in area 4.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
      I actually dropped Health Boost entirely on AT Kulve Taroth because I felt that, unless I had a protective mantle or something equipped, I got basically one-shotted by any of her attacks in phase 3 if I wasn't able to successfully dodge them. Even with 3 Health Boost and Max HP from food, she just hits so hard. I personally found it a lot more effective to instead build for pure damage and just focus extra hard on not getting hit in the first place. Your mileage may vary, just my opinion.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
      It's cool that Kulve Taroth's resistances change, but that makes my fossil-brain say "it is impossible to bring a good element, it's not as if I can switch".

PLA wrote: »
      It's cool that Kulve Taroth's resistances change, but that makes my fossil-brain say "it is impossible to bring a good element, it's not as if I can switch".
      the suppky box has farcasters

lots of people do it

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      I'm going to just go on record and say I hope health boost doesn't come back in it's MHW incarnation, it feels too mandatory.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
      I'd never go in to AT kulve without health boost. It's saved me a bunch of times. I rarely die when running it unless I get unlucky. All the deaths I do have are my own fault for not recognising I was in a bad spot anyway. At the instant I die I may cry foul, but upon reflection I realise that yeah, I probably shouldn't have let her box me in to a corner when she hasn't spewed fire on the ground recently, or there's always 2 breath attacks back to back in phase 2-3 (the straight line ones) and I shouldn't have reloaded my weapon at that point blah blah. Health boost lets me survive a 1 shot if I get tail swiped because my superman dive was mistimed.

The only legit bullshit death I'll call is when I get tail swiped and then a gajalaka bombs me right away. Fuck them.