As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    I hope Cassie and Takeda come back. I miss the more “realistic” default outfits from MKX for Scorpion and Subbie

I liked all the new kids from MKX except for the Kung Lao guy... whathisface with the bow. Jacqui was my favorite though. Her fighting style clicked with me for some reason, and I loved her attitude. "Quit lookin' at my butt!"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Kung Jin was my jam, I loved that overhead. He was basically Green Arrow from Injustice.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    i loved pretty much all the new characters in MKX, ill miss those that arent in this one, but it gave me confidence in their ability to make good new characters again.

Also holy shit the character models are so good, Scarlet looks insane, her face is so unique and shes not some boobalicious barbie doll.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Yeah something about the head shapes in MK9 and MKX were off. Never could quite put my finger on it. Glad to hear there's been improvements.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Skarlet vs Sonya gameplay from the event:

So it looks like Xrays are now called Fatal Blows, and aren't tied to meter but rather something you can try once your health drops below a certain threshold to maybe turn the match in your favor. It also looks like certain moves during combat trigger a cinematic Xray move-ish close-up as well.

Also holy fuck, Skarlet looks really awesome!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Ronda Rousey sucks. I don't understand why they'd even waste the money on bringing her in.

The most well known female fighter on the planet in a fighting game? Boggles mind.

She's also a Sandy Hook conspiracy theory lover and an anti-trans feminist. 'Magine that.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Yeah, big new things are Fatal Blows and Crushing Blows. Fatal Blows are basically Tekken Rage Arts, super attacks that become available at 30% HP every round and don't consume any meter. Crushing Blows are like Soul Calibur Lethal Hits, specific attacks that have bonus effects/damage when used in specific circumstances. Interesting thing about both types of Blows is that each specific Blow can only be used once a match. When a Fatal Blow is blocked or whiffed, it can be used again after a cooldown, but if it hits successfully it's gone for the rest of the match.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    i loved pretty much all the new characters in MKX, ill miss those that arent in this one, but it gave me confidence in their ability to make good new characters again.
    Also holy shit the character models are so good, Scarlet looks insane, her face is so unique and shes not some boobalicious barbie doll.

Given the MKX DLC characters, it's possible (I'd go so far as to say "probable") that any characters that were in X but aren't in 11 could be added later. Provided the game sells as well as the hype seems to imply.

Re: The Skarlet vs Sonya match, I like that the two dudes wearing body armor and carrying automatic rifles just nope the fuck out before the match starts.
    Smartest dudes in the game right there.

Skarlet is giving me some Fish Mooney vibes in the appearance. I don't know if it's the short/two toned hair or if there's something in the facial features that's making the connection though.

Looks like 25 character slots on the character select screen. Unsure if that includes Shao Kahn or not. Pretty decent size for a launch roster, hopefully there's some good surprises in there. Really hoping for Kintaro, Sheeva, and Mileena. Also, the $100 "premium edition" of the game is just the game and the season pass. At least digitally, there's no additional bonuses or anything (other than Shao Kahn for preorders)

Probably going to just pick up the DLC fighters ala carte this time, instead of just prebuying them without even knowing who they're including.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'd like to preorder the Switch version but not if it's gonna be butts. Wish we would get some info about that.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    (dont preorder NRS games)

J3qcnBP.png
    Scorpion vs Baraka match
    Love the name of that Scorpion variation :lol:

That Baraka fatality is ridiculous too (in a good way)

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Yeah this looks like a carbon copy of the last mortal kombat/injustice games with a few more particle effects. hard pass.

Did you actually check any of it out? Hardly a 1:1 copy of previous games.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    Scorpion vs Baraka match
    Love the name of that Scorpion variation :lol:

That Baraka fatality is ridiculous too (in a good way)

I like the separation of the meters, one of the things that annoyed me about watching high level play in X is that the X ray moves almost never get used in favor of saving the meter for combo breaking or enhancing a normal move a bit. Breaking the meter up like that, then having the Fatal Blow be it's own separate thing seems like it could be an interesting modification on the mechanic.

I'm actually a little intimidated by how technical MK11 looks with the crushing blow system.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »

Yeah, this looks cool as hell but I'm staying well away from it for a while.

On the plus side, Skarlet looks like the most Mortal Kombat Mortal Kombat character that you could possibly have.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    As with MKX I’m going to wait for the inevitable “complete” edition. It was hard to wait but ultimately I was happier for it.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    I don't know that I'll wait much past launch for the game but what I will do is avoid a PC port/version pending reviews. The MKX was the single worst PC port of a game I've experienced, good lord. Buggier than a rainforest floor.

I’m disappointed that Sonya’s look is the same boring one from the last game. I don’t think they changed it at all. Oh well, the others look cool.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    I don't know that I'll wait much past launch for the game but what I will do is avoid a PC port/version pending reviews. The MKX was the single worst PC port of a game I've experienced, good lord. Buggier than a rainforest floor.

That's because Warner Bros didn't learn their lesson from the Arkham Knight PC fiasco and hired the same fucking company to do the MKX port.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So do these fighters spend hours practicing their fatalities on dummies?

Like, does how many time did it took Scorpion to jump through hell before he figured out at what angle and distance to open the portal through hell in order to successfully bisect a person?

Like, does how many time did it took Scorpion to jump through hell before he figured out at what angle and distance to open the portal through hell in order to successfully bisect a person?

You don’t know - could be a first timer. For all we know after the screen fades to black he’s like “Holy shit! Did you see that shit?! I saw it in my head but never thought it would work. I am such a badass!!!”

And how many times did Baraka have to practice ripping off just the face, then the skull before eating those delicious brain meats?
    I mean, that can't be easy. even peeling an orange takes some practice, especially if you want to do it all in one go. Can't imagine the orange screaming and bleeding on you would make that any easier.

edited January 2019
    Eh I've preordered the last couple of NRS games on console and it's been fine. You can't tell me what to do. Also I've always been happy with their season passes so eh, and there's no way in hell im waiting to play their awesome story mode for another year just so I'll get the dlc characters cheaper. But I'm an uber fan, Doom and MK are my childhood tag team, I'll always be up for them

As for practicing, psshh, MK is a universe in which the laws of physics, probability and gravity bend to the laws of what's the most badass

However yeah if you're on pc definitely do not preorder since I've heard their pc ports have been shit

Prohass on
    Burnage wrote: »
    fRAWRst wrote: »

Yeah, this looks cool as hell but I'm staying well away from it for a while.

On the plus side, Skarlet looks like the most Mortal Kombat Mortal Kombat character that you could possibly have.

In terms of her blood magic yeah she's ultimate MK, however her actual look, the hat and goggles and kind of 1920s explorer costume mixed with the old ninja look is unique and inspired, I love it

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Watch all of everything. I'm very pleased. Lotsa neat changes and mechanics. Really digging Crushing Blows and the two Brutalities that got shown in the London reveal, but good lord they had the commentators on-screen and taking up a ton of room. They were also obnxious as hell and I muted them almost immediately.

Speculation- The "bartender" in the background of the Black Dragon Fight CLub stage is Kano. Further speculation- The Ruins of Shang Tsung's Island has his throne in the background as well a bunch of mummified monks. Due to all the time travel shennigans I'm calling it now that SHang is in the game and there is a "past" version of the map that takes place in the MK 1 era. The dead guy you can pull the spear out of on the left side of the stage is one of Shang's Guards with the diamond masks, the monks will be alive (and applaud politely), and Shang Tsung will observe from his throne.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Kung Jin was my jam, I loved that overhead. He was basically Green Arrow from Injustice.

I remember many a fights with you vs my kitana

I feel like there's a good chance Shang Tsung is going to be in the game. Like with Baraka, they seem to be throwing a bone to the characters that were MIA in MKX. In a perfect world, MK11 would be a Smash Ultimate "everyone is here!" type situation.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    The time shenanigans mean everyone can be in the mix. Even a Shao Kahn with a bit of the Dragon King happening in his left arm.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Did they show anything indicating shao kahn is back? I was assuming he was just a random pre order kharacter.

I assume he'll fit somewhere in the story, what with the time travel shenanigans. I don't remember if Goro played a part in MKX's story mode, or if that was just some comics I read.

They could easily have flashbacks if nothing else.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm guessing they'll do a Klassic mode with Shao Kahn as the boss.

It would be nice if the Klassic skins are in by default and not DLC

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I was surprised that MKX is actually one of the most popular fighters on Steam. It's actually quite easy to find lagless matches too! I will get this for my Switch as long as the port isn't that bad. For me, MKs DLC has always been kinda bleh and I would love to have a FG on the go with tons of single player content.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    I was surprised that MKX is actually one of the most popular fighters on Steam. It's actually quite easy to find lagless matches too! I will get this for my Switch as long as the port isn't that bad. For me, MKs DLC has always been kinda bleh and I would love to have a FG on the go with tons of single player content.

The DLC fighters they added in MKX were pretty crazy. I about lost my mind when they announced Jason. Though maybe the MK character selections were a bit weak. Like, I didn't know who Tremor was. He was pretty sweet to play as, though.

Goro was totally absent from the MKX story mode and I presume Shao Khan will be absent from the MK11 story as well.

That said, I hope they bring back Smoke and Jade. Gimmie dem pallette swap ninjas!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Ok, then it was the MKX comic I read. Mileena was shacking up with Goro, trying to get him to challenge Kotal Kahn or something. Would be sweet to see a rezzed Shao Kahn trying to take the throne back from Kotal, though.

It would be an interesting flip to have Shang tsung rez shao kahn and swap the dynamic

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    What's the odds of Quan Chi making a return. My missus is still salty he died in X.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680