As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Does NSMBUD have auto-scrollers? The Flappy Bird-style rocket auto-scroller levels in both DKCR and DKC:TF make me want to throw the controller against the wall over and over, so if NSMBUD doesn't have any of those, I might be OK giving it the win based on that alone (and I say this as someone for whom the DKC1-3 games were fundamental during childhood).

Not that I recall...but how can you hate the rocket barrel levels. They do some really clever stuff with those. :P
    Like what?

Not trying to bait you, genuinely curious. I spent so much time fuming at those levels (I hate forced movement) that I probably didn't notice a lot of cool stuff. If I remember correctly, at one point you're flying inside a wheel of cheese with a chunk missing? That was cool. Also, those levels routinely have the cutest enemies - bats in DKCR and rats in DKC:TF, if I recall correctly. But, my annoyance at the auto-scrolling kind of trumped all that, for me.

Yea, the stuff that I love from those levels are all just cosmetic and the neat stuff within the level. The cheese as you said and avoiding the rat traps. Nothing mind blowing, I just loved the levels built around those sections. Plus once you get used to the controls, it isn't so bad.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Yeah honestly I would just say both games are great and worth it.

I think NSMBU offers more content when you also include the challenges and Luigi levels.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I think NSMBU offers more content when you also include the challenges and Luigi levels.
    I dunno, I mean you're gonna put 1000 hours into Bopopolis alone.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I've mentioned this quite a few times, but I hated Tropical Freeze and thought its jumping mechanics were garbage... until I realized what the hell they were doing. In order to get the high bounce off of enemies, instead of hitting and holding jump the moment you make contact, you have to instead hit and hold before you make contact. It's exactly the same mechanic as making Cranky do his pogo cane move.

It's something that makes complete sense once you figure it out, and you can argue that it makes doing high bounces easier. At the same time I've never had this problem in most any other platformer. And until I found this out, pressing jump when hitting an enemy had something like a 50% miss rate, which lead to the initial conclusion that the platforming in the game was complete shit.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I understood for some time that DKCTF has depth to the mechanics but they should have done a better job communicating it. A platformer should be immediately intuitive, not something to learn through trial and error. Advanced techniques shouldn’t be necessary to enjoy the game. I don’t care to play the Dark Souls of platformers.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options

Not me! It took a little while but I got it, and now it's like riding a bike, I can basically go back and play it for fun anytime, and sometimes I do, because I love the flow of that level so much. It's designed perfectly.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    im surprised we didnt get a DK themed shooter.

The DK64 multiplayer was essentially that.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Not me! It took a little while but I got it, and now it's like riding a bike, I can basically go back and play it for fun anytime, and sometimes I do, because I love the flow of that level so much. It's designed perfectly.

That's precisely the level when I had the jump mechanic epiphany. Before it was simply fucking impossible. After, I cleared it in just a few tries.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Played the first game in Travis Strikes Again and so far it's very No More Heroes. Mediocre-to-OK gameplay propped up by flashiness and absurdity. I do have two questions, though.

1) Is anyone going to play through the single-player primarily as Bad Man instead of Travis?
    2) Wargroove isn't even out yet, how can it already have a Best Girl?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    For some reason I thought this was already out, but it looks like Killer Queen Black has been delayed until Summer.

https://nintendoeverything.com/killer-queen-black-delayed-to-summer-2019/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    My left joy con has been disconnecting so I decided to do the conductive foam fix myself since it’s out of warranty. Ordered the tri-point screwdriver but I’m hesitant on ordering a big piece of foam that I’m only going to use a bit of. Also I’ve seen reddit posts and this video where they instead move an existing piece of foam to the Bluetooth antenna. Has anyone here tried this method?

https://youtu.be/qzM1gqrRoqA

I did this! I found a seller on eBay selling precut pieces of conductive foam. While I was in the there, I also fixed a broken latch. I recommend buying a high quality triwing screwdriver and going slowly. You don't need to disconnect much to place the foam in, just be careful tucking the ribbon cables back in.

• Options

That's precisely the level when I had the jump mechanic epiphany. Before it was simply fucking impossible. After, I cleared it in just a few tries.

Exactly, me too, because you realize really quickly that "ok there's no way they designed this game with a 50% miss rate on bounce jumps when this whole level revolves around them, there has to be something consistent and easy you can do."

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Damn, Starlink dropped fast. The starter pack with fox and the arwing is on sale at Target for 30 bucks. I also saw some of the extra characters and ships on sale for 4 bucks.

Guessing it didn't do well? Is it worth that?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Most people seem to think it is actually very fun and worth that. But the digital version is better because you get MORE content with it and don't have to use the physical toys to swap things around.

It probably failed because toys to life is dead, maybe timing too. But everyone who has played it seems to really enjoy it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My brother had the review of Starlink for the switch as thus
    It's a fun game It's the game Star Fox needs! and he is barely in it.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Dang I can't find my Mario Odyssey game card. Wishing these games were as big as a NES cartridge for the first time. Someone help me find it.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Dang I can't find my Mario Odyssey game card. Wishing these games were as big as a NES cartridge for the first time. Someone help me find it.

Where did you leave it last.

Signed, Mom

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Does the bittering agent leave a residue? Can you use your tongue to find a trail?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Does the bittering agent leave a residue? Can you use your tongue to find a trail?

Activate Bat-detective Vision to follow the trail.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I tried to have my dog sniff my Smash cart to pick up a scent, but instead she licked it and won't stop crying. : /

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Most people seem to think it is actually very fun and worth that. But the digital version is better because you get MORE content with it and don't have to use the physical toys to swap things around.

It probably failed because toys to life is dead, maybe timing too. But everyone who has played it seems to really enjoy it.

It failed because everyone who wasn't fox was a character no-one wanted.

Like toys to life may have an uphill climb now but you certainly ain't doing it with generic human nobodies weighing you down.

• Options
    Imagine how well it could've done if they partnered with Nintendo like they did with Mario+Rabbids and ditched the Toys-to-Life, the PS4/XBO versions, and just made it a Star Fox game.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Yeah, the physical version is probably dropping because the first thing everyone tells you when you ask about this game is "don't get the physical version, the digital version has significantly more stuff". So I can understand making he physical cheaper to get it more in line with the perceived value.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular

Like toys to life may have an uphill climb now but you certainly ain't doing it with generic human nobodies weighing you down.

I played the entire game without once using Fox. The other characters actually have interesting abilities. I was really impressed with how slick local Co-op was, I was expecting a buggy tacked on experience but it was a lot of fun. The only problem was my 8 year old constantly wanting to switch out weapons (digital version) so we spent a long time in menus.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

I played the entire game without once using Fox. The other characters actually have interesting abilities.

Toys-to-life needs interesting *characters* more than interesting abilities. Especially when you can just digital purchase that part.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Life-to-toys is where it's at. If you can't beam me into a game via an amiibo what's even the point?

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I used to be heavy into skylanders.

I had convinced my baby cousins and such that the portal was real magic.

• Options
    Finished Travis Strikes Again. Kind of. I still need some collectables, but I've got other stuff to play right now as well so I'll probably go back for those later.

Overall I liked it. It didn't outstay it's welcome and neither did any of the games. Except Coffee and Donuts. TSA is not good at being a platformer.

I'm not sure who I'd recommend this game to, though. People who like Suda51's style, I guess.

I do have one complaint. And it's a very stupid complaint, so I'll just put it in a spoiler.
    I kind dislike the fact that Jeane's a terrible person. The primary cast is already composed of a bunch of murderous jackasses so it really wasn't necessary for Travis' cat to be one of them as well. Getting kind of one-note with the characterization here, you know?

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    From watching the Quick Look of Travis Strikes Again it looks like the 4th wall gets broken often enough that there will be nothing remaining of it after playing through a couple of the Death Drive games. The electricity themed boss seemed kinda fun, I guess?

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm0YUOjtRRg

Trailer for the Asia-English release of SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays, "coming out this year on Switch, PS4 and Steam in the Asia region with English subtitles hint hint nudge nudge western importers" - Bandai Namco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZM1z9t4jiI

MAXIMUM ANIME opening trailer for Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists, an Atelier crossover city builder/rpg coming out in the west in March alongside Atelier Lulua.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSx9dsBvH38

Not so much a trailer as the scheduled stream page for Dragon Quest XI S, you can set a reminder here to be notified in ~2 days as there will be a livestream featuring gameplay from the Switch port.

Donnicton on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Oh, nice. I don't really expect to see anything that'll interest me, but one never knows.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    A second Atelier game, and it's a city builder rpg fusion? Stop, I can only get so erect.

• Options
    The developers have been dropping hints and review codes went out a short while ago, so it's pretty likely that Wargroove will be available right after that presentation tomorrow.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Maz- wrote: »
    The developers have been dropping hints and review codes went out a short while ago, so it's pretty likely that Wargroove will be available right after that presentation tomorrow.

Duuuuuuuuuuude, that would be dope.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Anyone played Blade Strangers? It's on a pretty good sale at the moment.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Anyone played Blade Strangers? It's on a pretty good sale at the moment.

It's a decent fighting game. Roster isn't terribly huge, but there's some interesting characters in there.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Is that the one where Shovel Knight looks freaky?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Maybe they'll have a date for Hat in Time.

While it's unlikely, I'd love them to announce Tunic for Switch.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Is that the one where Shovel Knight looks freaky?

He looks freaky awesome. Also he has an incredibly deep Japanese voice. It's just weird all around, but in a good way.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.