As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Although the opposite could be fun for change.

“You have to drive across Alaska in a 4 door sedan, and you are allowed to modify the car. Your budget is $1 million dollars”

You know, just to see what nonsense they come up with.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I hope they can still find room in the massive budget to have "we were only allowed to spend £500 on these vehicles to cross Siberia" or whatever. That's always brought out the best in them.

They've definitely lost some of the charm the old specials had. We can argue about how they're more scripted, or higher budget, or whatever; but the cheap car challenges were great.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    The specials and challenges and stuff was the majority of what I liked the best

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    One of my favorites that i still watch every now and again was from season 12? Where they have to cross london to get to the airport. Watching Hammond bike through London traffic was terrifying.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    So looks like they're not just just ditching the tent, they're ditching every tent related segment in exchange for at least 4 specials per year.

Also:
    Asked if they would have the same financial backing as the up to £4million an episode spent on The Grand Tour series, he replied: “Put it this way, Marvel will be jealous of our budgets.”

Man, looking at all those photos of the 3 of them in the sun article really drives home how long they've been at it.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I would like to see the trio actually TRY for once. But try at something they are rubbish at.
    Like when they legit tried to go racing.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    I would like to see the trio actually TRY for once. But try at something they are rubbish at.
    Like when they legit tried to go racing.

captain slow shall lead the way

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    That's a tremendously smart and welcome move!

Would have been nice if they did it starting season two!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    "Ambitious but rubbish" was more than a tagline. It was a philosophy that worked, often brilliantly.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

He's one of the few people alive who would look at a set like that to steal a rug and the only thought that occurs to me is "yeah, that makes sense" in an entirely non-negative way.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

His next BBC show is "James May lives in a carpeted tent" after all. Gotta preserve that budget

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

His next BBC show is "James May lives in a carpeted tent" after all. Gotta preserve that budget

I'd watch that. Everyone would watch that.

• Options

I'd watch that. Everyone would watch that.

I suspect James wouldn't but he did sleep on a lego bed so who knows?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I really want James to do more Reassembler.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I really want James to do more Reassembler.

I want to know what dark magics he wields that let a person that should be so boring do something so mundane and I still want to watch it.

Like when he did the wine show. It's James May! Doing a show about wine! Which is a topic I find incredibly pretentious and snobby! And he finds a super-pro wine snob to go with him!

And yet I still watched the whole thing and enjoyed it. How?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It's back and it's glorious, they seemed to have realized having color contrast in location per scene really makes the 4K pop, so you have Detroit with green and black asphalt and old buildings meshing well. Plus the cars were good and felt fun and normal for the three, plus it feels like Dodge really did tell Hammond he can't race anywhere but a racing track. And no guest this week which led to a good ending.

There's also a TGT game out now which seems to be connected to the show in that when they drive cars, you can drive cars in the game so it blends watching and playing together. Don't know how successful it will be but it's 15 bucks on Xbox/PS/PC.

• Options
    The cinematography was great for this whole episode.

The bagging on green Detroit got tiresome quickly, but they had Hammond and May push back, and kind of dropped it entirely for the second half.

Overall a great start to the season!

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Yeah, first episode was good. I kind of hope the whole ‘guest vs segment vote’ becomes this seasons running joke.

And dammit if I don’t really want a Dodge Demon. It’s way too expensive and I’d never actually race the damn thing but it’s just so cool.

• Options
    The Demon's drag race time should've officially included all the setup time :lol:

Quarter mile in only an hour and seven minutes!

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Yeah, good if not spectacular first episode. Great its back.

And I want a Hellcat. That whine of the supercharger is just awesome.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    The cinematography was great for this whole episode.

The bagging on green Detroit got tiresome quickly, but they had Hammond and May push back, and kind of dropped it entirely for the second half.

Overall a great start to the season!

It was one of those moments where I couldn't figure out if there was any separation from Jeremy and Jeremy the Character, and I was just annoyed very quickly. Like, what the fuck, do you think Detroit is going to magically reverse itself into a paradise if people just speed around in it? And gardens automatically make someone a vegan? What? To say nothing of how this dude pretty much lives on a farm and has been shown to have gardens in the past (which is why I think it's a character bit, but still way too annoying to let go).

And then Hammond and May had utterly stupid ideas for how and why Detroit's collapse has occurred. "They make their cars too cheap!" Nah, man, if they made them more expensive, less people would buy them. People need more money so that they'll buy more cars. For a bunch of car magazine writers and car show gurus, there were some pretty epic Henry Ford-isms they could have inserted there instead. Just felt like a wasted opportunity.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Three rich white dudes from Britain with noe clue about economics trying to explain the downturn of Detroit...

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Three rich white dudes from Britain with noe clue about economics trying to explain the downturn of Detroit...

I have to imagine that was the intended joke.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

I have to imagine that was the intended joke.

I imagine it was, it just went over like a lead balloon for me.

• Options

Huh. Ok.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised at the reaction here.

This is pretty standard stuff for them?

They have Clarkson's character be extra dumb, the other two call him out for being dumb(which they did multiple times throughout this episode) and the other two offer some alternate, frequently still silly for other reasons, responses that everyone laughs at.

It's kinda the schtick of the whole show.

• Options
    I'm surprised at the reaction here.

This is pretty standard stuff for them?

They have Clarkson's character be extra dumb, the other two call him out for being dumb(which they did multiple times throughout this episode) and the other two offer some alternate, frequently still silly for other reasons, responses that everyone laughs at.

It's kinda the schtick of the whole show.

I agree that it's standard stuff, it just felt like punching down and not in a way I found funny this time. Maybe it was too close to home and I'm a big fucking hypocrite. I don't have a real explanation for this.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/ap8qFaFpIUA

Two part special this friday and saturday.

• Options
    Lind wrote: »

Fuck, yes. Shoot it directly into my vein, this is why I am here.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Appropriate given the setting

• Options

We're not saying the C word.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »

We're not saying the C word.

chimichanga?

• Options
    Clarkson?

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Clarkson?

Don't worry, May will say that enough for all of us

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Clarkson?

Don't worry, May will say that enough for all of us

(oh,) Cock.

• Options
    The set up for the Demon v. Exorcist race is one of the best bits they've ever, ever done.

• Options
    In this ep: Clarkson says "bigly".

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    That would just be weird? Hahahaha, holy shit.

• Options
    There's reasons. Tenuous ones, naturally, but they're there.

This is definitely closer to the specials of old; and, of course, the combination of a beautiful location (Colombia) and the series' trademark stunning cinematography is just gorgeous to behold.

Less so Clarkson's apparent sunburn...