As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Ashe is now Live!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    This weeks been pretty busy so I haven't had a ton of overwatch time, but I made sure like each day this week to find 10 minutes to pick a map and explore it empty with Hammond and practice grappling and rolling to different locations and how to quickly rotate to megas and back.

And oh my goodness Hammond has gone from my "lul I guess I will spin circles around the point" throwing the game pick to my favorite hero to play in the game.

He's just so mobile and adaptable and fun and disruptive. So I've been taking him into QP lately to build more experience and I am doing VERY well with him. You do need to make sure that your team has enough healing, but if you are getting enough to aggressively use his cooldowns to be able to consistently swing in, slam, shield, do a little damage, roll back, and then swing back in and slam on cooldown. Man, man!

He's just so ACTIVE to play, while something like Rein while fun a lot of times was a lot more passive. Hammond you are always doing SOMETHING.

My last game I was the sole tank on Hammond and we only had one healer as Lucio and we were getting stuck on a choke. And I said, "if I can get someone to swap heals I think I can open this up for us." And someone swapped Ana and pocketed me and I got the most glorious 5 person mines into slam into shield and then that Ana just focused me for the rest of the game and thew all her nanos at me and it was GLORIOUS.

Inquisitor on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    hammond is ball hero :. good

obF2Wuw.png
  • WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Hammond just confused me. I just don't understand how his abilities work with how he moves. Whenever I get him in Mystery I do my best but just end up running into walls and never escaping any enemy.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Practice, practice, practice.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    But I don't want to

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hammond just confused me. I just don't understand how his abilities work with how he moves. Whenever I get him in Mystery I do my best but just end up running into walls and never escaping any enemy.

Firstly what Chance said: practice.

But I will share my big aha moments so far:

1. The minimum height to slam is very low. Anything higher than the jump button pretty much. You can slam a lot more often knowing this.

2. Grapple walls directly ahead of you and roll along the ground for easy speed and horizontal knockback.

3. Parallel to any wall or corner, grapple diagonally up about 45 degrees ahead of yourself to do a circular swing to build height to engage and slam. Helps for a lot of locations.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Firstly what Chance said: practice.

But I will share my big aha moments so far:

1. The minimum height to slam is very low. Anything higher than the jump button pretty much. You can slam a lot more often knowing this.

2. Grapple walls directly ahead of you and roll along the ground for easy speed and horizontal knockback.

3. Parallel to any wall or corner, grapple diagonally up about 45 degrees ahead of yourself to do a circular swing to build height to engage and slam. Helps for a lot of locations.

You can also slam at almost any ledge by simply jumping and slightly moving, the mechanic only cares about your height from ground, not how you gained it

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    Yep and slam moves you slightly forward in the direction you're facing - so jump just a bit backwards off a ledge = you're high enough off the ground below that ledge to slam. Hit slam and you move forward, slamming into the ledge.

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »
    So I haven’t seen a lot of tank mains around my rank cuz most tabks are people flexing g just to fill and then playing badly. That led me to think that auto locking DPS and then focusing tanks would probably be super effective because 1) ineffective tanks will panic and run and 2) my own bad tanks will be braver and create more space with an HP advantage.

I gained about 300 SR this way. Turns out that focusing bad tanks makes them either swap off onto DPS, creating major compositional issues for opponents, or tilt.

Hassling tanks is very good beans - who is your preferred hassler? Mine remains Tracer, but...

I was just on the brink of losing a Busan game (solo tanking as Winston because they had a Widow, Hanzo and an Ashe, and a Rein tanking) and after round 2 the reds went 3 tanks - Rein, Orisa and Hog. Rein and Orisa I'm okay with, but the Hog is giving me a lot of trouble and I consider switching. About halfway through round 3, one of the DPS goes Reaper - I say thanks - we immediately take the point back and win.

Were I on Tracer versus 3 tanks, I wouldn't switch off - but the counter-picker in my head says either Orisa/Rein+Bastion or a well-pocketed Reaper.
    I'm developing a lot of bad habits as mercy.... you can get away with a lot of risky rezzes in QP turns out

Preach.

Pailryder wrote: »
    I love quick play as hamball. As the title suggests, i did good, and then i didn't...
    https://youtu.be/Df2zb-H7byI

I had to watch it twice. First I was just like "what? That was a solid PotG." (Replay.) "Oh my God." Awesome.

I’ve been using junkrat because burst damage makes bad players freak out. Also it tilts other dps when they run into traps over and over again.

Plus I played a lot of grenade launchers in other games so the arc is easy to aim. Nailed a lot of predictable pharahs who would tilt at dying to junkrat multiple times.

I would never have guessed Junk. I only pull him out on like... Gibraltar defense Vs. Turtle comps lol

I was thinking last night about Lu Bu Reaper...

Which, again, I'm not a fan of. Idk what about that design actually speaks to the character or why Three Kingdom stans are so hyped for it - maybe it's amazing in a way I'm not seeing! But either way, it's dropped my expectations for the whole event.

The only really fantastical designs I've ever enjoyed from past LNYs was Mei's and Rein's - I'm not a fan of most of them to begin with - but the thing is Blizzard always shows one of the two best skins of an event first.

Always.

They showed us Krampus Junkrat first, and Figure Skater Symmetra last at Christmas, for example - the two they were most-certain would get a huge community response.

This one is a too-weird design that seems to super-appeal to a smaller portion of the fanbase. I'm not sayin' you Three Kingdoms fans around here shouldn't have it or like it - if you love it I'm happy for and a little jealous of you - but for me it frankly makes me worry about the meh skin we'll be shown next.

My imagination keeps producing Overwatch Characters As Seen By Whoever Designed Michael Bay's Transformers, and they're all fugly to me : (

I think that's an excellent analogy for the skin. Reaper If He Was A Michael Bay Transformer. But With Feathers.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I assume they’re leaning into the Three Kingdoms stuff as outreach to the Chinese market and that it’s not really intended for American/Western audiences.

Which makes your comparison to Bayformers actually a very good comparison!

It is Lunar New Year though so that sorta works.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    actually, as a canadian, it's good

liEt3nH.png
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    As another Canadian, it's...fine? The Lunar New Year is always the least interesting event.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    For those who enjoy competitive OW, Jayne's running another Tournament of Future Champions today:

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Pfft, “Canada”

Tried. Can't handle the commentary.

Pfft, “Canada”

Everyone knows Canada's not real. Parents just made it up to bore children.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Pfft, “Canada”

The hell is a Canada?

steam_sig.png
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Pfft, “Canada”

The hell is a Canada?

I just know it ain't America and therefor sucks.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Good loooooooord the turn around on that fight

https://clips.twitch.tv/OpenAbnegateMooseSuperVinlin

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Kana wrote: »
    Good loooooooord the turn around on that fight

https://clips.twitch.tv/OpenAbnegateMooseSuperVinlin

On a similar note, I played a bunch of D.Va last night, trying to focus on picking good bombing spots/angles and racked up a few good multikills, which culminated in this 5k + riptire. Nothing too special about it, but I'm happy with myself that I was conscious of where Rein was playing compared to the rest of their team (too far forward to protect them from the bomb if I put it behind them), and bombed after their grav assuming that they would try to push up and be aggressive, which they did!

The one thing I didn't count on was my momentum carrying me into the grav after I was out of mech, sadly. But at least we won the fight with my one ult compared to their three! Should I have seen the grav coming and tried to eat it? Yes definitely. I'm trash tier at that still, for some reason.

https://youtu.be/T6bsBsmB-X8

Houk the Namebringer on
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    nothing at all wrong with spinning the point as hammond, he's made for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqsIKj-dWUw

he's better as a boop machine, considering his boop effectively has no cooldown as long as you keep the grapple attached

his boop also does more damage than any other in the game, something to keep in mind if your target has low health

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhwX7vBGi5U

and always remember to get some altitude before releasing mines so they get a wider spread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsz9WhTpl1E

unless you're trying to take out a pain in the ass bastion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sniz2o0y8jc

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    If you heal a Tracer as Mercy they give you POTG.

I was so confused.

Finished my 10 Comp placements at around 2650 which is more than good enough for me. Went 8-1-1 and I'll be retiring from this season with my 100% win rate as Reinhardt intact. Here are some highlights of me doing the Rein thing and one of me from MH where I went for a crispy angle, fell asleep, and woke up back at home.
    https://youtu.be/0RsM_NdeMCc
    https://youtu.be/zvPMKdMv-Wk
    https://youtu.be/noKG3gIt3YY

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    FFS someone on one of the team's in Jayne's tournament keeps spamming DvA's EZ mode line nonstop fucking mute these POS'.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Rein as Guan Yu is positively inspired

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    went 2-7-1 (w/l/tie) and placed at 2350. considering i had shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago, i'll take it! I really need to stick with one character but i find i will def play hamball on certain maps on attack automatically. on defense i usually stick with junk but i'll play an ana if we don't have heals. not sure i'm going to try and raise the sr number though.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    FFS someone on one of the team's in Jayne's tournament keeps spamming DvA's EZ mode line nonstop fucking mute these POS'.

Isnt that all DvAs?

steam_sig.png
    McMoogle wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

Isnt that all DvAs?

Nah, some of us spam I'm #1

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Level up, level up, level up, ad naseum
    or
    winky face

Pailryder on
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I make it a special quest to kill those dvas. The winky face one in particular drives me nuts.

I'm not familiar with the source material for these new event costumes so they're largely sailing right by me, but fingers crossed for a new tracer skin with a giant beard.

soylenth on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    HEPPY

HALLOWEEN

uc3ufTB.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    I make it a special quest to kill those dvas. The winky face one in particular drives me nuts.

I'm not familiar with the source material for these new event costumes so they're largely sailing right by me, but fingers crossed for a new tracer skin with a giant beard.

The new total War game will educate you up.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

It's drawing from a variety of fictionalized recountings of a period of Chinese history from the third century CE. The designs are based on Chinese armor, clothing, and popular portraits of the figures.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I mean, a) thank you I'll read up on that. Chinese history and literature is a big gap in my knowledge, but also

b) I was just trace-baiting Chance, because I think it would be funny if he finally got a new Tracer skin, but she had like a huge beard for no reason.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I'd be fine with a bearded tracer skin if the Tracer VA just pretended to have a gruff, deep voice

"cheers, love" but 2 octaves lower

b) I was just trace-baiting Chance, because I think it would be funny if he finally got a new Tracer skin, but she had like a huge beard for no reason.

1) Tracer has never had any need for a beard - she's always been proud of who she is!

2) if she had any facial hair it would be the Guy Fawkes, obv.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    3 piece suit monocle tracer with hat tip emote and pulse bomb swapped to bag of money

obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.