As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    How much did that come to, all together?

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    How much did that come to, all together?

IIRC 220 + shipping?

You can cut 30 or 40 if you go for a cheaper board, but I like using one controller on every system.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I think MK11 is gonna be the game that finally breaks me into NRS

It looks so good in motion, and SCVI has finally prepared me to hit a button to block

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

here's a thread on how NRS have vastly improved their animation like everyone said they needed to

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    skarlet looks really cool in this one too.

I may avoid the beta though because I tend to latch on to whatever character I really like in a beta when the game actually comes out so I then don't try a lot of other characters because I already found something

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I'm still very worried about mk11. From what I've seen and all the mostly negative impressions I've heard from the event, they've taken mortal kombat in a very different direction.

One thing that definitely has my interest is the crushing blow system. Ketchup and Mustard put out a nice explanation that makes it sound and look good like a really cool system.
    https://youtu.be/-ocVc2A3qcQ

And for some impressions of the game, max put out a video with a bunch of captured footage
    https://youtu.be/P3PunNhREck

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    I really like the krushing blow mechanic and I REALLY like that controller setting to make it optional via holding the button because that will likely be mandatory

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Mortal Kombat is maybe the most FGC-proof game there is, the largely negative reception hasn't really moved the needle on it for me

I don't particularly care about the competitive viability of it, I'm never gonna play it online, all I care about is if it's fun to play with pals and go "look what happened to your FACE, you need that for living!" and this sure looks like that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    what exactly are people negative about

sure looks like mk to me with a less brainless neutral. or is it people just mad it's gonna be different

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Mad about a lack of fast corner 50/50s, from what I've seen. It's less of a setplay game.

• Options
    The slower pace, the removal of breakers, meter gain without having to participate so it potentially encourages running away and hiding

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    animations still look weird to me and I don't like that they still have the characters pointlessly enter back turn.
    but all the stuff people seem iffy about in terms of changes sound like changes I would like? so i don't know, I'll probably give it a shot

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I always have a lot of fun with MK games, and my wishlist of stuff I wish was changed from mkx to 11 was all addressed. Thats really exciting.

• Options
    the only thing out of that list that I think is actually weird is no breakers

even if its cost was pretty high, say both defensive meter bars and maybe put the whole bar on cooldown for a little bit due to automatic meter gain

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I think my only requests now are that either Smoke (my MK9 main) or Cassie Cage (my MKX main) are in it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    It also looks like it will be much easier to sit back and zone in this game due to the recharging meter and lack of mobility options. When two players are standing fullscreen its almost indistinguishable from injustice.

The answer to this of course, unless they make changes, is to play one of the dozens of characters with a teleport.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I've heard only negative stuff from: people who play mk and only mk

I've heard overwhelmingly positive stuff from: people who play any other fighting game

Feels like NRS wants this one too attract a new pool of players and maybe get that tournament scene to stand the test of time

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I think my only requests now are that either Smoke (my MK9 main) or Cassie Cage (my MKX main) are in it

There's already like 3 seconds of footage of Cassie from what looks like the story mode. Visually she looks different and cool. Didn't sound like Ashley Burch though. And I could be mistaken but I think smoke was on one of the main menu icons along with rain.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah the full screen zoning in IJ2 got out of hand

Like watching Sonicfox Deadshot somebody just made some matchups seem completely hopeless

• Options
    The biggest complaint I've been seeing is the change to the speed of the game and how neutral works. It's slower, with a much larger focus on walking back and forth and whiff punishing. I heard it the most from Max's impressions, but it really sounds like they tried to make the neutral as much like street fighter as possible and not at all like the other Mk games.

I know there's a bunch of street fighter fans on here that will probably think that's a change for the better, but I like my fighting games fast and kind of crazy and find street fighter neutral pretty boring. So that's my biggest concern going forward.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    after a brief dalliance with Kolin, I'm settled on Birdie

this character is both powerful and largely allows me to do what I want to do which is menace people from an ample range and pollute the earth with cans

the VT2 tech (which I have yet to learn in any capacity) is utterly hilarious.

• Options
    DeMoN wrote: »
    The biggest complaint I've been seeing is the change to the speed of the game and how neutral works. It's slower, with a much larger focus on walking back and forth and whiff punishing. I heard it the most from Max's impressions, but it really sounds like they tried to make the neutral as much like street fighter as possible and not at all like the other Mk games.

I know there's a bunch of street fighter fans on here that will probably think that's a change for the better, but I like my fighting games fast and kind of crazy and find street fighter neutral pretty boring. So that's my biggest concern going forward.

What neutral do you like that isn't from NRS? Or is it that you just don't like the neutral game?

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Jasconius wrote: »
    after a brief dalliance with Kolin, I'm settled on Birdie

this character is both powerful and largely allows me to do what I want to do which is menace people from an ample range and pollute the earth with cans

the VT2 tech (which I have yet to learn in any capacity) is utterly hilarious.

vt2 oki is pretty strong

crouching MP is a god tier AA

I feel like meaty slide is also gonna be really strong, its much safer and easier to time

a lot of characters don't have good answers for max range standing hp

Brolo on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

I don't know a lot of MK9 fans also seem pretty happy from what I've gathered. That said zoning/neutral was a bit stronger in MK9 than it was in MKX.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    One thing that is definitely distinctive about fighting games that have come in SF's footsteps is that SF really doesn't like having projectiles that are "too fast" (yeah yeah ST O.Sagat i know) unless there is an extremely high cost to them. The fastest projectile in SF history was probably Guile's Sonic Hurricane in CvS2, which had level 3 super meter requirements (i.e. the maximum possible meter cost for a super in that game) and would hit you if you weren't blocking BEFORE the super flash! However, it didn't travel across the screen at all. A whole bunch of characters in the Marvel fighting games Capcom made were extremely memorable/infamous for their projectiles that just cross the screen nearly instantly (AHVB x 5 yessss).

Netherrealms and other newer fighting games have been happy to have projectiles that travel across space extremely fast, combined with characters that are fairly big and generally don't move super fast in their basic movement (i.e. not counting the special moves where they teleport, zoom really fast, etc.). I think making the interaction of the non-projectile attacks slower and more methodical necessitates some big changes to the projectile and long-range game style that NRS has developed over the past several years, and that has all kinds of consequences. It'll be interesting to see, that's for sure.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    it would be a really weird time in my FG career if my main games were smash ultimate and mortal kombat

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    but mkx WAS the best I performed out of the games I entered when I went to evo so maybe there's something to it

hell of a thing when your entire pool doesnt know what jason does

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Meters recharging over time means you can run away while recharging meter, but it also means you can recharge meter while your opponent is running away from you, and meter-burn moves that teleport or enhance mobility are pretty common. NRS games tend to give loads of meter to zoning characters spamming projectiles while giving a pittance for blocking projectiles, this could end up helping rush-down characters a lot.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    The early footage really looks like the game is focused on shorter, less damaging combos, so I don't mind the loss of breakers. Not having to hold 2 bars beyond a certain health threshold opens up much more productive things to do with your meter, and hopefully not having to worry about taking 50% off a small mistake will be a good trade for missing breakers.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yeah. I think that's why they have offense, defense, and supers all separate now.

A big problem with MK9/X were that breakers were so important to the meta folks barely ever used the other options associated with the meter.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »

What neutral do you like that isn't from NRS? Or is it that you just don't like the neutral game?

Honestly it could just be that I'm not a fan of playing the neutral game in general. The games I played the most this year were probably dragon ball and Tekken, and my general tendency is to run in and play like a nut. But what I liked about those games was that you are constantly moving forwards and in your opponents face. MKX had a lot of mechanics to help you constantly move forward as well, with the run and forward moving strings and smaller screen space.

I guess I just don't like games that require patience? Like the last thing I want to do in any video game is walk back and forth and wait.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    I’m at Frosty Faustings in the Windjammers tournament

I won my first match and will be riding that high for the rest of...my life?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Knob wrote: »
    The early footage really looks like the game is focused on shorter, less damaging combos, so I don't mind the loss of breakers. Not having to hold 2 bars beyond a certain health threshold opens up much more productive things to do with your meter, and hopefully not having to worry about taking 50% off a small mistake will be a good trade for missing breakers.

yeah it looks like your big combos are tied to krushing blow, like baraka getting a bounce after I think it was 1,2,2 on a punish

which means you only get so many of those and getting everything out of them probably important

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    So after the Mk reveal I was jonesing really hard for some fighting games so I put some time into soulcalibur which I bought day 1 and barely played.

That game is hilarious in ranked. I have 500 points. I got matched with players anywhere from 0 points to 1500, except for one dude with 8 THOUSAND. I managed to get one game off of him and my reward was 25 points.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    ranked matchmaking in SCVI is horrendous, which is pretty funny considering they could've just copy/pasted the way Tekken ranks work

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    is that with the setting at 'same' or 'any'. because i know about getting 30k people with any

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I know I had region and connection set to any for quick matches. I usually set rank to same.

Also I would just like to say despite my complaints and reservations I have watched a godawful amount of MK11 footage in the past two days. That game is pretty as hell and the sound is amazing and I just want to play it and dress up my Mk dolls.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    So after the Mk reveal I was jonesing really hard for some fighting games so I put some time into soulcalibur which I bought day 1 and barely played.

That game is hilarious in ranked. I have 500 points. I got matched with players anywhere from 0 points to 1500, except for one dude with 8 THOUSAND. I managed to get one game off of him and my reward was 25 points.

What platform are you on? I'm looking to get in more games this weekend.

(Also, the Same setting for ranked works pretty well; my wait time with both settings was 20 seconds - 3 minutes)

• Options
    edited January 2019

Honestly it could just be that I'm not a fan of playing the neutral game in general. The games I played the most this year were probably dragon ball and Tekken, and my general tendency is to run in and play like a nut. But what I liked about those games was that you are constantly moving forwards and in your opponents face. MKX had a lot of mechanics to help you constantly move forward as well, with the run and forward moving strings and smaller screen space.

I guess I just don't like games that require patience? Like the last thing I want to do in any video game is walk back and forth and wait.

Yeah, it sounds like you just don't like the neutral. Which is fine!

Ideally, I'd like games to give you options for however you want to play. I really like that UNIST rewards aggressive forward movement, hot ass footsies, and tightly-constructed setplay.

Edit: my hope is that MK11 will be more flexible in the playstyles you can use to approach it.

templewulf on
  • Options

What platform are you on? I'm looking to get in more games this weekend.

(Also, the Same setting for ranked works pretty well; my wait time with both settings was 20 seconds - 3 minutes)

I play everything on ps4

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
This discussion has been closed.