As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Is this vr on pc or only psvr? I'm curious what the experience is like with vr and a flightstick. If I came into some money I could see my dad love playing like that. He had a nice stick and the thing with a throtitle and buttons on it as well in the 90''s and loved the flight sim stuff.

Only PSVR from what I read in this thread.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    AC5 is easily the stingiest with regards to missiles.

There are a lot of early missions where you have 50-60 missiles and you still need to gun down targets or you won't have missiles for later on against the harder enemies.

Also I forgot how great and dumb the plot is.

A mission where a suborbital giant ship is shooting laserfire through the atmosphere at a submarine capable of launching planes and explosive missile waves.

Ace Combat 7's "anime" plot seems to be in full force here.

I literally can't imagine a western war game where enemy invades territory and doesn't immediately reveal themselves to be a bunch of bloodthirsty murders straight from hell, probably with Slavic-sounding names. Meanwhile, it looks like..
    Erusea took the entire Space Elevator, not to mention sunk a bunch aircraft carriers, without a single civilian casualty.

Though that might not last.

I'm thinking I'm about halfway in, and the Anime Index is still at acceptable levels. Angels have yet to be danced with. I repeat, there has been no dancing with any angels so far.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Oh my god. If I could distill how I feel about this game into one moment and how good it is and how much I enjoy it, it would be:
    when you finish the rescue in the spires and just when it seems things are good, that lone enemy pilot (Mihaly I think?) swoops in and takes out several effortlessly and you engage in a dogfight with him and it was so super tense and felt like I was just barely holding him off, and then when he finally withdrew it was both a relief and felt like a huge victory.

The most run on of sentences but I can't help but gush about this game. So good.

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    Is this vr on pc or only psvr? I'm curious what the experience is like with vr and a flightstick. If I came into some money I could see my dad love playing like that. He had a nice stick and the thing with a throtitle and buttons on it as well in the 90''s and loved the flight sim stuff.

Only PSVR from what I read in this thread.

The VR missions are exclusive to PSVR in 2019. One of the physical copy covers for AC7 said “VR Missions exclusive to PS4 until January 18, 2020" which would be one year of exclusivity. I would guess that Project Aces uses the feedback from the PSVR missions to build out a more extended VR mode when they can be on all VR systems next year.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm a little disappointed that (campaign up to ~chapter 6 spoilers)
    that you don't become a penal unit pilot due to being captured by Erusea, forcing you to switch sides. That would have been a more interesting narrative.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    that you don't become a penal unit pilot due to being captured by Erusea, forcing you to switch sides. That would have been a more interesting narrative.)
    I think it'd be a pretty tough sell to portray heroically shooting 80 missiles at your own brothers in arms to save your own skin

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I think it'd be a pretty tough sell to portray heroically shooting 80 missiles at your own brothers in arms to save your own skin
    And how quick did those jerks sell you up the river when Hartling died? Burn em all, Trigger.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    And how quick did those jerks sell you up the river when Hartling died? Burn em all, Trigger.

A dramatic reenactment

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Aircraft tree still causing me pain lol. I bit the bullet and got a F-14, but man was it tough.

Playing on normal and man, 2 hits puts me at 95% damage. Seems high.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    No my son, it's not to late to turn away from this path!

• Options
    No my son, it's not to late to turn away from this path!

But, but, the Raptor...

• Options
    It was written we must endure the penance of the F-35 to reach the glories of the F-22. Rejoice!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    It was written we must endure the penance of the F-35 to reach the glories of the F-22. Rejoice!

The F-22 died for our Sins!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options

Yeah should have clarified, screw the Joint Strike boondoggle I just want to get to that sweet sweet Raptor.

• Options
    Finding Air to Ground weapons to be in line with previous versions. Just better to use missiles and equip better air to air specials for fast moving drones and such.

Has anyone played with the railgun yet? Seems powerful for long range shots.

• Options
    I love the F-22, but probably my favorite thing about it is that we cannot* make more of them.

Some years back Congress decided to look in to the feasibility of restarting the program. So they sent people to check on the conex boxes in which the, I forget the technical name, but the jigs, moldings, and castings to produce the parts for the jets were stored.

What they found was. . . nothing. The conexes were empty. Where the Gov't thought they had stored everything turned out to be wrong and they've no clue where they are.

*the asterisks is that we can make more, but we would literally have to reverse engineer our own aircraft to figure out how to do it and that'd cost a ludicrous amount of money.

That's some Warhammer 40k shit right there.

Things getting lost in Gov't bureaucracy isn't that uncommon either. Just a couple years ago on a random Air Force base workers opened up an old bunker in an overgrown, abandoned part of the base that hadn't been touched in decades. What they found was something like 27 nuclear warheads. Just sitting there, protected by only a chain and a padlock. No one had a clue that they were even there.

• Options
    That does make the F-22 lost tech now doesn't it?

• Options
    That does make the F-22 lost tech now doesn't it?

I knew this, but hearing it said this way still saddens me.

Makes me even sadder as I think back to when I played this gem:
    eqq6nlw6fzp7.jpeg

• Options
    Wow mission 7 was pretty awesome. Played some MP, pretty much sucked. But at least I got another 100K of MRP out of it.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What are the callsigns you unlock for?

Also using an A-10 main gun to shoot down air superiority fighters is all kinds of good feeling.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Just used the flight stick. Man it's gonna take some getting used to

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

The F-22 Boeing X-32 died for our Sins!

Fixed that for you. We failed to protect that smile.

zp8veted74ms.jpg

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm so jealous the console crew gets to play this now ;_;

Waiting till February 1st is the woooooooooooooooooooorst. I'm having to dodge AC7 videos on Youtube and do my best not to click on them just to see the beauty of the game in motion.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    @TOGSolid I couldn't believe that the Strangereal world was actually the Midway point between the normal world and the Planet of the Apes but seeing that Ape put on aviators and climb into a cockpit was worth it

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    You say that, and I know you're joking, but I also know that AC is so god damn anime that there's a slight chance this actually happens and god damn I love Ace Combat.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

The F-22 Boeing X-32 died for our Sins!

Fixed that for you. We failed to protect that smile.

-snip-

The number one rule for Waifus is to protect that smile and we failed her. We failed her!

It is the greatest shame of a generation.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I gotta get out of the habit of holding down the accelerate at all times.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I gotta get out of the habit of holding down the accelerate at all times.

I really think Rocket League has screwed me here.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Speaking of F-35.

zxsVPY5.jpg

• Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular

I'm thinking I'm about halfway in, and the Anime Index is still at acceptable levels. Angels have yet to be danced with. I repeat, there has been no dancing with any angels so far.

For me, the anime index shot up exponentially with a potentially 'dancing with the angel's' moment, when during the cutscene for (I think) the 5th or 6th mission tells you Mihaly's "real" name... holy crap, I literally laughed out loud through the entire cutscene and the mission briefing.

Mihaly Dumitru Margareta Corneliu Leopold Blanca Karol Aeon Ignatius Raphael Maria Niketas Archange Shilage...

...Elizandro Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Boogdud wrote: »

For me, the anime index shot up exponentially with a potentially 'dancing with the angel's' moment, when during the cutscene for (I think) the 5th or 6th mission tells you Mihaly's "real" name... holy crap, I literally laughed out loud through the entire cutscene and the mission briefing.

Mihaly Dumitru Margareta Corneliu Leopold Blanca Karol Aeon Ignatius Raphael Maria Niketas Archange Shilage...

And then that revelation is immediately upstaged
    by Ace Combat Dog.jpeg

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    F-104 Skin 2 Unlock Conditions:

Complete Campaign Mode using ONLY MACHINE GUN FUCKIN' EXCUSE ME?!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I like that going into the Campaign Records will give you hints on how to spawn the named Aircraft in a mission

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Boogdud wrote: »

And then that revelation is immediately upstaged
    by Ace Combat Dog.jpeg

I swear, it's gotta be clip art!

*for the record I am absolutely loving this game though. The gameplay is finally back to the roots and it feels and looks amazing. Maybe next game they'll just forgo the story and just add story text to the missions instead. It's a waste of production $ imo...

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I’m not far into the story, as my plans for launch day changed. But I’m digging the gameplay.

And while the story is suitably ridiculous, I really like the concept of the phony airbase slash prison. Wherein, court-martialed pilots must bear the ironic punishment of having to go out and revv up their engines and listen to the howling roar, while despite the begging of the metal under tension, they’ll never be allowed to touch and go.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Are plane skins just for multiplayer?

• Options
    edited January 2019
    This is what V2 was for.
    slH02j4.jpg

Also, we need to one-up the Tales of thread.

"Best dog is here".

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ace_27f4cb_5483318.jpg

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    This is what V2 was for.
    slH02j4.jpg

Also, we need to one-up the Tales of thread.

"Best dog is here".

Burn Osea to the Ground
    -Dog

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012