As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I don't know that I've ever heard of someone being a fan of Quan Chi :P

His X-ray in MKX was pretty rad, though. As for odds, the time travel aspect is really making it hard to guess on roster... basically anyone could return. Probably not a whole bunch of people clamoring for someone like Kabal, though. Nightwolf would be sweet.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

His X-ray in MKX was pretty rad, though. As for odds, the time travel aspect is really making it hard to guess on roster... basically anyone could return. Probably not a whole bunch of people clamoring for someone like Kabal, though. Nightwolf would be sweet.

Kabal is super popular. I know there are a e abuncb of die hard Kabal kompetitive players

• Options
    Some good info from my favorite Youtube channel
    That second Sub-Zero fatality they show is fucking brutal... goodness!

Also confirms both klassic towers, and something called Towers of Time which appears to be similar to Injustice 2's multiverse. I just hope the majority of it isn't bullshit modifiers that make it an unenjoyable experience like Multiverse was.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Max with some gameplay and info breakdown
    I'm a little concerned that NRS might be catering more to the competitive crowd with MK11. Their games have always been more casual friendly, but it sounds like they want this game to play more like Street Fighter. Hopefully they keep their traditional semi-lenient combo system, because I can't do shit in Street Fighter...

I also hope they end up with a more traditional meterburn system by the final release. I'd rather not have to learn which extra buttons to push for EX moves on a per character basis.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I mean, I can’t not imagine that NRS, or at least Warner Brothers, wants in-roads to more of that e-sport revenue. If you’re making a game that thrives on having a multiplayer community, let alone one with a marquee brand like Mortal Kombat, in a post arcade, online streaming world, well...the narrative crafts itself.

Question for everyone: How likely could it be that the extra six months before announcement had something to do with making the Switch version? Considering the lack of a full-fledged Nintendo MK since...Armageddon?

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    This game looks gorgeous

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i mean unless they want it to just devolve into sonicfox winning every tournament again theyll need to switch up how the game plays. there cant really be a healthy esports anything if one person just drowns everyone else.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    i mean unless they want it to just devolve into sonicfox winning every tournament again theyll need to switch up how the game plays. there cant really be a healthy esports anything if one person just drowns everyone else.

Balancing an entire game around one guy doesn't sound great

• Options
    To me everything just sounds better. Even if it is all footsie at pro level street fighter me and my friends still just throw fireballs at each other. Well I usually try to piled drive them because Zangief is just the best.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Guy commenting to me about the MK11 reveal: "Man, I wasn't happy or impressed. It just seemed like more of the same stuff. They really should've just announced an MK classic remaster instead."

So... you're complaining that it's more of the same, but you want more of the same, only older.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Everything looks great to me, but most of the costuming art style looks too ... plastic-y I guess.

I don’t ever wanna be the guy that says the colors are too bright, but well they kinda are. That look mostly works for Injustice, but I expect MK to be a bit grittier or less saturated

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    That's kind of a problem I had with the MKX art style, and one that extends to Injustice 2 as well; Netherealm makes character models that look great when static or in a fight, but in cutscenes the emotion conveyed is weird and uncanny valley-esque. That sometimes happen during an X-Ray or Fatality, where it doesn't feel like two people fighting any more, and instead is just CGI meat puppets slapping around and being torn apart.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I for one really like the look of the last few Mortal Kombat games. The series has always been colorful.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I really liked the look of MKX. Scorpion and Sub-Zero looked like they were wearing actual fabric

Here, it’s like they’re cosplaying as themselves in plastic and foam rubber

• Options
    I think everything about the art looks great. Go into the fighting game thread and everyone says it has garbage animations. I think haters are gonna hate.

I think the game play looks good and I don't mind a slower pace. I usually prefer projectile throwers, in this game kitana, or people who want to get up close at all costs, in street fighter Zangief. If the cost/reward with the footsies and keep away play is good, I'll have no problem with a slower more strategic game.

And again, against friends, you're just doing special moves and having fun.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Honestly i don't get the rubber thing, the game looks incredible, one of the best looking games I've ever seen, let alone fighting game.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    On the art direction and character design front I'd like to give special recognition for MK11 having fully clothed female fighters.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    On the art direction and character design front I'd like to give special recognition for MK11 having fully clothed female fighters.

With realistic and varied bodies! Mk9 was their last boobie barbie doll fest

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    And again, against friends, you're just doing special moves and having fun.

Well, I play solo and I like to learn the basic combos for characters and see what I can build off them. Like, for Jackie in MKX I could do a sweet 9 hit thing by comboing into a command grab thing she had. I don't mind them going for a slower Street Fighter like pace, I just don't want them to ape the ridiculously small combo windows of SF as well.

• Options
    I don't think you'll see too many 1-frame combos in MK. There will be some combos that most if not all characters will have that will require some tight timing, but that's not going to be what any pro would go for in an FG tourney like they have to do for Street Fighter.

MK's combo system usually ends a combo in the mid to upper 30%, and there might be a slight execution barrier, but nothing so demanding. MK's combo game usually involves a lot of corner juggling, and often times ends in a move that resets everything back to neutral.

• Options
    Personally I'd like them to drop the damage down a bit for combos. 30+% felt wild and often it seemed as though every combo was around 40. I know there are diminishing returns built in but between chip damage and high powered combos, spectating felt like the entire thing was super fragile. A single mistake and kablammo you're fucked

• Options
    Fatal Blow is only one use per match, yeah? Like if you land it in round 1, you wont get it again in round 2?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Fatal Blow is only one use per match, yeah? Like if you land it in round 1, you wont get it again in round 2?

Correct. I think it's a great implementation if you are going to have super moves like that. Makes it more of a desperation attack.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    i'm a little confused by fatal blow. is it triggered when you are below 30% and it's a comeback mechanic or is it your opponent is at <30% and you close the game out with it?

• Options
    It's available when you're below 30%, supposed to be a comback mechanic.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    i'm a little confused by fatal blow. is it triggered when you are below 30% and it's a comeback mechanic or is it your opponent is at <30% and you close the game out with it?

It seems to be a come back kind of thing. Since the combo damage can get so insane, having a really strong combo be made available after you get the daylights beaten out of you, and you're nearly down, means you don't spend the last half of your match trying to turtle in a corner eating chip damage, you're out trying to trigger the fatal blow combo for a come back.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

It seems to be a come back kind of thing. Since the combo damage can get so insane, having a really strong combo be made available after you get the daylights beaten out of you, and you're nearly down, means you don't spend the last half of your match trying to turtle in a corner eating chip damage, you're out trying to trigger the fatal blow combo for a come back.

maybe. i'd actually expect the opposite. from what i saw in the video, the only condition is low health, is that accurate? if so then turtling around 30% is probably the correct play if fatal blows are strong enough to create a comeback. i can see it also doing weird things where it makes people not be so aggressive in general. it would negatively impact chip damage (up to the individual to determine if that is good or bad) as i would imagine chipping someone to 29% and then eating a fatal blow is going to feel bad. i guess it will depend how chip on block is going to work.

• Options

maybe. i'd actually expect the opposite. from what i saw in the video, the only condition is low health, is that accurate? if so then turtling around 30% is probably the correct play if fatal blows are strong enough to create a comeback. i can see it also doing weird things where it makes people not be so aggressive in general. it would negatively impact chip damage (up to the individual to determine if that is good or bad) as i would imagine chipping someone to 29% and then eating a fatal blow is going to feel bad. i guess it will depend how chip on block is going to work.

Yeah, as a new mechanic we don't really know how it'll pan out in high level play.
    If I had to guess as to the thinking behind the Fatal Blow mechanic, I'd say it's to get more of these super moves used in high end play. In 95+% of the matches in X that I watched, you never saw the X-ray combos because the boosted attacks or combo breaks were a much more valuable use of the meter. By breaking these things into their own resource, separate from the Offensive and Defensive meters, I'm hopeful that we'll see them more often. I'm worried that the break in the combat flow for the animations may result in them remaining just as rare though.

I can definitely see your point where it could lead to more turtling in the end game on both sides because you're waiting for the opportunity to throw it or you're trying to anticipate and deny the Fatal Blow, so you can finish the match while the bar is recharging.

• Options

Yeah, as a new mechanic we don't really know how it'll pan out in high level play.
    If I had to guess as to the thinking behind the Fatal Blow mechanic, I'd say it's to get more of these super moves used in high end play. In 95+% of the matches in X that I watched, you never saw the X-ray combos because the boosted attacks or combo breaks were a much more valuable use of the meter. By breaking these things into their own resource, separate from the Offensive and Defensive meters, I'm hopeful that we'll see them more often. I'm worried that the break in the combat flow for the animations may result in them remaining just as rare though.

I can definitely see your point where it could lead to more turtling in the end game on both sides because you're waiting for the opportunity to throw it or you're trying to anticipate and deny the Fatal Blow, so you can finish the match while the bar is recharging.

i think it's a worthwhile experiment regardless. the lack of xrays which were/are a major component is something that i'm sure NRS wanted to fix asap and i'm glad they are looking for ways to incorporate them in different ways

• Options

i think it's a worthwhile experiment regardless. the lack of xrays which were/are a major component is something that i'm sure NRS wanted to fix asap and i'm glad they are looking for ways to incorporate them in different ways

Kind of feel bad for the artist who did all the work of animating testicles getting brutalized an an absolutely mind numbing variety of ways, only to never really see their art displayed for the masses.
    Sure, the artist knows it's there, but... is that really enough?

• Options
    There seemed to be a lot more close-up/zoomed-in brutal moves in the gameplay trailers. I wonder if that's for spending meter to power-up the move or if it's just random like an x-ray scoped shot like in Sniper.

• Options
    There seemed to be a lot more close-up/zoomed-in brutal moves in the gameplay trailers. I wonder if that's for spending meter to power-up the move or if it's just random like an x-ray scoped shot like in Sniper.

Those are crushing blows, they do extra damage and you have to meet certain conditions to get them.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

Kind of feel bad for the artist who did all the work of animating testicles getting brutalized an an absolutely mind numbing variety of ways, only to never really see their art displayed for the masses.
    Sure, the artist knows it's there, but... is that really enough?

honestly i would expect a huge number of people saw balls getting crunched. if you aren't playing at high competitive levels then a good number of your games are "lemme just save up the meter to pull this shit off"

well, mine were anyway

but i think having it showcased like this is much bettter

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular

Haha, she's been a fan of Quan Chi since his release way back whenever. She's hoping against hope that he makes a return, but will get the game anyway.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Klatu wrote: »

Haha, she's been a fan of Quan Chi since his release way back whenever. She's hoping against hope that he makes a return, but will get the game anyway.

is anyone in mortal kombat ever truly gone?

• Options
    So they're doing time travel again? I was OK with it for then resetting the time line, but why are they going back again so soon?

I'm sure the story and single player will be solid, but I'm a little iffy on time travel shenanigans .

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

Motaro so far?

• Options

Hopefully Jarek, Taegon, and Davon

• Options
    There were a lot of really bad characters in MK 5 thru 7 that are best left forgotten. Given that MKX was basically MK4 timeline wise, I'm glad they are doing this instead of retreading Deadly Alliance.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    So they're doing time travel again? I was OK with it for then resetting the time line, but why are they going back again so soon?

I'm sure the story and single player will be solid, but I'm a little iffy on time travel shenanigans .

It's not so much just time travel shenanigans, but rather Raiden is super bad at his job and has royally effed up the balance of power among the realms. The new boss character, Kronika is some kind of time god and is trying to restore balance to the universe.

Also, some tower gameplay
    Looks like three ingame currencies. Koins, Souls, and Hearts. Also looks like less of a gear system, and more that you get different kinds of character skins as well as augments.

The most interesting thing to me is the konsumable items. Instead of randomly getting the ability to have characters assist you like in Injustice 2, they come in the form of consumable items you can earn.

Skull2185 on