As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tokusatsu] Invisible Ghosts & Colorfuly Loud Ninjas (Kamen Rider Gemn Sequel!)

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Only Rider show I've watched entirely is Gaim. Should I pick up Build or continue with Zi-O?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Always fun to stay caught up with the current show.

And I'll always recommend W/Double if you haven't seen that yet.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Only Rider show I've watched entirely is Gaim. Should I pick up Build or continue with Zi-O?

Zi-O’s early yet, no reason you can’t do both

Based on what we’ve got so far, Build’s the better show, but you could easily breeze through Zi-O and then just watch it weekly and start Build or something else

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    MxUB12l.jpg

Pretty stylish for a stage-play poster.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Best fruitman deserves it!

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Looks like Zi-O's dipping back into the Heisei era after the current two-parter. And the guest-stars have been already revealed.
    lvCgkMv.jpg

But this time there's a twist to the Another Rider showing up.
    RCsZR8F.jpg

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Build is real good. I frankly gave up on Zi-O. Also a vote for Ex Aid - i was put off by it intially, it just looked way too goofy. It turned out to be one of my favourites.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Isn't Zi-O an anniversary show like Decade? Doesn't seem like a good one to watch if you haven't watched a decent amount of other Riders, but I haven't really looked much into Zi-O so I may be wrong. And I guess Riokenn said Gaim was the only one watched entirely, so that could mean others have been watched partially, so I am just kind of rambling !

Still, there's a lot of good past stuff to watch. If you liked Gaim for it's Rider vs Rider action, you may want to check out Ryuki.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

Build is real good. I frankly gave up on Zi-O.

Did you bail before or after the debut of it's third Rider?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Isn't Zi-O an anniversary show like Decade? Doesn't seem like a good one to watch if you haven't watched a decent amount of other Riders, but I haven't really looked much into Zi-O so I may be wrong. And I guess Riokenn said Gaim was the only one watched entirely, so that could mean others have been watched partially, so I am just kind of rambling !

Still, there's a lot of good past stuff to watch. If you liked Gaim for it's Rider vs Rider action, you may want to check out Ryuki.

It's not just an anniversary show, but the capstone of the Heisei Era (as the next show will start after Akihito's abdication, starting the next era.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    First magazine scans for next month are starting to pop up. Here's a look at Zi-O's first personal upgrade.
    Lw2hrB2.jpgCe5GkK4.jpg

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I've been itching to watch a new/recent Tokusatsu show, and was wondering if there were any recommendations you could throw my way?

The last shows I watched were Kamen Rider Gaim and Gokaiger, which I loved. I don't necessarily need something as dark as Gaim, but I prefer something middle-ground instead of full-on Japanese wacky like Gokaiger.

More than anything I just want a series that's all about red-blooded hype. Great action, sudden transformations, rivals become friends and friends become rivals, all the good stuff.

• Options
    I think everyone really liked...the last Ultraman? Actually, I'm not sure if that was Geed, Orb or R/B.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Ex-Aid and Build both sound like they'd be up your alley

Ex-Aid especially is a lot like Gaim structurally, as far as there being lots of Riders with shifting allegiances

And I'm gonna keep plugging Ultraman R/B because it's my favorite toku of the past year and I want to talk about it with people. It probably strikes that tonal middle ground you're looking for

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I think everyone really liked...the last Ultraman? Actually, I'm not sure if that was Geed, Orb or R/B.

All three are really good! They are admittedly the only Ultra series I've seen

Orb is about a wandering cowboy-type guy, it's mostly interesting in that the main point-of-view character is the female lead (civilian, essentially a Rider girl), and you see this mysterious stranger through her eyes instead of the emotional beats of the story being focused on the hero himself

Geed is about a sweet softboy and his tough-as-nails lady roommate and whether he can overcome his evil father's plans for him. It also has an end credits theme that makes me cry

R/B has a family focus, there are two brother Ultramen, but there's also a lot of focus on their kid sister and their eccentric father. Also one of the main villains is a goofy-evil businessman, it's like someone successfully copied Dan Kuroto from Ex-Aid

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I haven't seen Ex-Aid, so I can't comment there, but I have seen Build and Gaim. I'd go with Build if you want something on the level of Gaim. It's not as dark, and the story isn't quite as wild (though still very wild in its own way), but things get very twisty.

• Options
    The next Zi-O special was announced. Anyone ready for...
    ...more Kamen Rider Ryuki?

The second Zi-O spin-off special after Kamen Rider Shinobi, this (according to early translations) has the Mirror World returning, drawing the Mirror Riders like Ryuki back into their old fight once more with Zi-O and Geiz there as well.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/5CRNzk0tPFs

A video showcasing the CSM version of Kamen Rider Blade's gear was put up. The set itself costs close to 50,000 yen and is currently on pre-order until March, it's actual release set for July.

• Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    I hope they do a CSM card set at some point. The last collection they had is pretty old and expensive right now.

• Options
    Watched the first ep of Tokusatsu Gagaga last night and I think it’s my new favorite show?

It’s a drama (40ish minutes) about an adult lady who is ashamed of her love of various fictional toku shows. The suits for the shows-within-the-show are great and it’s really funny and charming

• Options
    Here's some Zi-O scans for February.
    O22GeHt.jpg

Next up for Zi-O is the Ryuki story, notable for it's Another Rider being based on Ryuga, one of two Riders exclusive to that series' film. It's not the only threat though as Zi-O will have to deal with seemingly a Mirror World version of himself.

58GUC82.jpg

Because of both A-Ryuga and M-Zi-O's power, Zi-O will have to get his first personal upgrade known as Zi-O II.

tc2rFb4.jpg

Zi-O II comes with a new sword, the Saikyo Girade. Besides being able to dual-wield it with his original weapon...

kF2dvut.jpg

...the two can be combined to create an even stronger sword, the Saikyo Zikan Girade.

DiKqXvF.jpg

After that story, we'll see another future Rider arrive, Kamen Rider Kikai. Surprisingly, he's from a time BEYOND 2067 as his time-stamp's 2121.

kRuJPIW.jpg

And even more so is the fact that his Another-version looks to be none other then the Time Jacker Heure! Looks like the villains are finally gonna get a lot more involved with their efforts against Zi-O and White Woz.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Watched the first ep of Tokusatsu Gagaga last night and I think it’s my new favorite show?

It’s a drama (40ish minutes) about an adult lady who is ashamed of her love of various fictional toku shows. The suits for the shows-within-the-show are great and it’s really funny and charming

Just watched the first episode.

s9ksjgr4e6or.png

7fw8dttofhbj.png

It's very good.
    I definitely know that feeling of possibly taking toys away from children. And having more to talk about with relatives' kids than any of the adults.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    First picture of Zi-O's next toy catalog has apparently shown up. Take a look if you want to see what's in Zi-O's future though keep in mind it's not 100% confirmed yet. This upgrade (if true) may be slightly familiar to...
    jrTw1hN.jpg

...Kamen Rider Decade fans.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    JustinMcelroyItsTrash.gif

Just like Fourze's final suit and Gokai Silver's Gold Mode, I'm not down with most mish-mash suits like this.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Just like Fourze's final suit and Gokai Silver's Gold Mode, I'm not down with most mish-mash suits like this.

Actually (more toy catalog possible spoilers) ....
    ...the power-up before this is Zi-O Trinity which is the power of Geiz and Woz's Rider forms added to his, an early description is all three suits 'stacked'.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    And here's what I mentioned up above.
    ENS3o3t.png

Owenashi on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    It’s a drama (40ish minutes) about an adult lady who is ashamed of her love of various fictional toku shows.

Is this me?!

In Toku collecting news I'm still hunting down Shift Cars while waiting for Zi-O to end. I thought it would be easy when I first started a few months ago but boy was I wrong. The gashapon exclusive cars are somewhat easy enough to find but the candy toy versions rarely show up and basically the only difference between the two visually is a small letter on the bottom that never gets photographed. So if someone has a preference of one type over the other it can get a bit annoying.

• Options
    Posting a better picture of the second upgrade from my earlier post as well as a theory.
    w2LVYoK.jpg

My guess is that Zi-O Trinity is gonna be related somehow to Den-O as it reminds me a bit too much of Climax Form. Plus Den-O's Final Form Ridewatch from the FF-RW set is based on Liner Form. Odds are then that Trinity's gonna be a film-form from a movie staring the two Riders.

• Options
    It feels to me like they decided they constantly had to one-up themselves and make more complicated designs every year around Wizard or so. Especially for the upgrade forms. And I really don't think it works. It's one of the main reasons the shows don't hold my interest anymore.

Maybe I should try to go back and watch some of the Heisei shows I missed and see how that works out for me...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    there's a lot of merit to simpler designs

my only real point of reference is Ghost and good god is Mugen way better than Grateful

• Options
    The trailer for Lupin VS Pat's crossover with Kyuranger was released tonight. Juuuuust gonna leave this one image from it in the box.
    0Olezwy.jpg

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    there's a lot of merit to simpler designs

my only real point of reference is Ghost and good god is Mugen way better than Grateful

I loved basically all of Ghost's designs, but Grateful was the worst of the season by far

I'm still sad that the series had no cohesive plot, because the designs were great.

• Options
    If you haven't seen next week's Zi-O preview, here's a look at the next Future Rider and who's playing him.
    4to1rI7.jpg
    LEkO78C.jpg

Kamen Rider Kikai is played by Jingi Irie. Not only did he play one of the lead villains in Lupin Vs Pat but he also played the lead role in the Kikaider live-action film a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXl-hrgJaGE

• Options
    LuPat finale was excellent and pretty emotional eff the haters

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    LuPat finale was excellent and pretty emotional eff the haters

Yeah, LuPat is the most I've enjoyed a sentai since Gokaiger.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Looks like it's time to start actually watching it. I got like 12 episodes behind due to being ridiculously busy at the time, and decided not to catch up. I haven't seen anything but praise for it (other than for it's toy lines) since around mid-season.

This discussion has been closed.