As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cell Phones

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
Looking for suggestions on a new cell phone.

Current phone: Nexus 6P
Reason to upgrade: Dropped it last night on my kitchen tile floor and glass shattered.
Carrier: Verizon

So it seems like a lot of the good mid-range phones are either not supporting Verizon, or don't have headphone jacks. I really would love to keep the headphone jack. It's the way to connect my phone to my car and still charge it while using GPS.

I feel like I broke this thing at the worst time. After all the Christmas sales, and before all the new models come out.

I've looked at maybe buying refurbed S9 for less than $500, but the reviews are scary that they don't come with good chargers. Not a big deal breaker, as my 6P uses the same connector, but it would be nice to get another good charger since I haven't bought a second USB-C adapter.

Other phones that have looked decent are the Nokia 7.1 and Essential Phone, but Nokia isn't supported on Verizon and Essential has no headphone jack.

What do you guys use and would recommend?
I'd rather not spend more than $600 if I don't have to.

4dm3dwuxq302.png

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We've had good experiences with Motorola and the Moto Z3 seems like it might be a good fit?

• Options
    That did look nice, but no headphone jack. If I have to make a compromise though it probably is my first choice. The motomod battery add-on is a nice feature.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I got the LG ThinQ7 recently specifically because it had a headphone jack and I didn't want to have an Iphone anymore. I really like it. That's about all i can say

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    That model did look great, but a bit more expensive.

How's the screen and battery life? I've been spoiled with OLED but it's been years since I last dealt with LCD.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I had the Moto G6 previous to my current phone. I liked it because it had USB-C but also a headphone jack, and a decent camera. Pretty snappy phone with a larger screen for a mid-range phone.

I recently upgraded to Pixel 3 XL and it's a great phone but the lack of aux jack really is annoying. I keep the adapter in my backpack but still forget it on quick trips to the store. It got so annoying I bought a second adapter to keep in the car.

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    I'd say go with the s9, personally I've ditched the jack and haven't looked back. I have a Bluetooth adapter for my car so I can still listen and charge. I have a pixel 2 xl.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    See if someone around your area offers repair services? As long as the actual LCD works, it shouldn't be that expensive, and should give your phone an extra lease on life. You can replace it later in the year after the sales hit. (I checked the replacement procedure, and it's not really friendly to do home repair.)

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Currently loving my LG V30+ (Same as the V30 only with extra memory and dual-sim).
    Head phone jack and a special high quality DAC, so music sounds really great. Also it really is just overall great, like fx. the finger print sensor location is just right and the camera is ace.
    A feature which has become a must for me is wireless charging, it was something I was introduced to way back when the Nokia 920 came out like 6 years ago and it is just a must have once you tried.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I liked my Nexus 5 a lot and now like my Pixel 2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm assuming Apple is out of the question? I've been quite content with my 6s.

• Options
    Yeah, not interested in Apple at all. Especially with their current device prices.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    A 128 gig SE is on clearance for $300 direct from Apple.

Granted, you can't expect that to last and it means buying into their ecosystem.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't recommend the Essential phone. The company itself is apparently up for sale, and it's an open question as to how much product support you'll get moving forward. Then again, as long as they keep patching it until you get your new phone, that's likely all the support you generally need for a phone. Nokia phones generally suffer from inconsistent hardware and glitchy software (especially on the UI front).

For a cheap/mid-range phone, it's really hard to find better than one of the various Motorola options unless you want a Chinese phone (which are apparently great, but YMMV). The G6 is phenomenal for the price if you just want something to tide you over for a year, while the Z3 is probably more in line with what you're looking for based on the phones you listed, and will likely last a bit longer without feeling like you need an upgrade. Apparently Verizon has their own version of the Z3 that has tweaks made to it. Unless it's a significantly superior or cheaper phone I'd recommend avoiding something that Verizon gives you in favor of just buying straight from Motorola, because that phone won't come with bloatware or other random software/firmware changes.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I've been pretty happy with my Moto e5 plus, via T-Mobile (not Verizon). Seems to hit the sweet spot of size, price, battery life - and it has a headphone jack.

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    I recently upgraded to a Moto G6 and it's pretty good for a budget phone. There's also the Moto G6 Play which is a cheaper version of the phone with slightly less powerful specs.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I bought into the motog# phones a bit ago when I realized that I really didn't use any of the fancy things in the more expensive phones. Decent phones, but I tend to water damage them, so they last about a year and a half... If you can manage to not drop them into puddles, then they can last you a while

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing