As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Transporting Khorne Bloodbound models is a pain in the ass.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Transporting Khorne Bloodbound models is a pain in the ass.

Dok khinerai scoff at your claim

I played the Glassmad Gargant gametype for Warhammer Underworlds tonight with a couple friends, I ran Garrek's Reavers and they had the Thorns of the Briar Queen and Ironskull's Boyz warbands. It was a lot of fun, but we trolloped the thing fairly easily (only one model died, and it was Arnulf the Reaver that I charged in as the first activation of the first turn). I think the biggest reason is we had sixteen models on the board to a single Gargant.

We figured that we'd try and come up with some house rules to even things up a bit (giving it the full 40 wounds no matter how many players there were, giving it some type of close combat multi-target swing attack, etc), because it felt like once it got swarmed with models it was only a matter of time before it went down. Alternately having a separate player who just controls the Gargant who could make more intelligent choices compared to following the checklist of actions in the article would make things a little tougher.

Another thing that came up was that now that we have the Gargant as a baseline it shouldn't be too hard to come up with other profiles for other large models, so that could be fun in the future.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Are you sure you were doing it right? I’ve not played the Gargant, but reading the article I find it hard to imagine him not killing 3 guys a round.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Are you sure you were doing it right? I’ve not played the Gargant, but reading the article I find it hard to imagine him not killing 3 guys a round.

His attacks do a lot of damage, but all you have to do is surround him but leave one avenue open for movement so he can't do the bellow. He uses up an activation going on Guard so that only leave three per turn for actually attacking, and if you have the right upgrades (which are super easy to stack on your dudes due to how easy it is to get glory points before the Gargant becomes inspired) and the right ploys it's not difficult to keep your fighters alive while the Gargant gets wailed on by three models at a time. We used dice rolls to randomly determine which fighter got kicked every time the Gargant moved, so that spread the wounds out quite a bit.

Where is this article from I have not bought Nightvault because I was seriously busy over the holiday season

WD Dec 2018

And that sounds like a solid plan.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The thing with the glass-mad gargant is that although you are working together to bring down the giant it is not, strictly speaking, a co-operative scenario; if the giant lives you all lose, but if it dies whoever has the most glory is the sole winner. If you play it with that in mind and make sure that your erstwhile allies aren't going to be able to wound the gargant more than you are (By, say, shivving their fighters in the back) then I find the gargant's wound count works just fine.

Now, of course, if you do want a purely co-op experience then by all means bump up the gargant's wounds/change it's AI a bit, I don't think it would be that tricky to rustle up a challenging scenario with a few tweaks.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Would be an interesting semi-final in a tournament; instead of two matches, throw all four in the pit with a giant controlled by a fifth player and the two with the most total glory (across the entire tournament) at the end go through to the final showdown. I can already hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from here…

And, yeah, there’s nothing actually stopping you ganking other players in the default scenario, much less “accidentally” getting them caught up in the effects of spells and gambits that also happen to affect the gargant.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited January 2019
    You still get glory for killing the other players as usual. The only impetus to kill the giant is that if he lives, everyone loses. If anyone gets significantly behind on glory they should very much be switching over to the giant's side.

I've also just noticed that you get one glory per damage done to the giant at the start, but once he hits half health it's just one glory per hit, encouraging you to maybe start fighting each other a bit more. Quite cunning.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited January 2019
    Oh trust me, there was plenty of 'accidental' damage going around between players.

Or when I charged the Gargant, did damage, got a bunch of glory points, and then played Confusion and swapped the location of it and another model so that none of MY fighters were in base contact with it for its turn, as a soft example.

SmokeStacks on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    If I get a Lord of Change to add to the Changecult box I'll be at 1480 points. Hmm hmm.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    New Skaven and Flesh Eater Courts battletomes coming out soon.

Doesn't look like any new models, just bringing the armies up to date with all the new rules, allegiance abilities and endless spells etc

When I was trying to find out what happened at the end of Warhammer and why is it now Age of Sigmar. One of the specific things I was trying to find out was what happened to the Bretonnians. One of the rumors I found with the bit of lore was they are now the flesh eater courts?

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    When I was trying to find out what happened at the end of Warhammer and why is it now Age of Sigmar. One of the specific things I was trying to find out was what happened to the Bretonnians. One of the rumors I found with the bit of lore was they are now the flesh eater courts?

Pretty much, yeah.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Fighting against Mollog's Mob seems tough. The best bet I've found so far seems to be to concentrate on Mollog and then play clean up on his friends after he's dead with whoever you have left alive. Otherwise you take out some of his dudes and he gets inspired and just picks my dudes off one by one.

Having cards that can switch positions or push models seem pretty handy when going up against Mollog himself since he has an area attack that wrecks everyone in contact with him.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    If you can kill Mollog the game is pretty much done and sealed most of the time, 7 wounds is a lot, sure, but it's only really like killing two of Ironskullz Boyz, or whatever, I don't think it's too big a challenge for a more aggro warband, especially one which has multiple damage dealing fighters compared to just Mollog by himself. Also his attack dice aren't anything too crazy, so if he ends up missing a clutch hit you've got a good chance at cutting him down.

Interesting to see two new battletomes coming out together, I wonder if that's because the rest of the planned yearly release schedule is packed? Also confirms that they're open to revisiting the older AoS 1.0 tomes with updates, would've been nice to have some new models, but a more AoS 2.0 compatible book is probably more valuable really.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    New Skaven and Flesh Eater Courts battletomes coming out soon.

Doesn't look like any new models, just bringing the armies up to date with all the new rules, allegiance abilities and endless spells etc

good

ironjawz should be around the corner then

Pretty much, yeah.

that makes very little sense and the thematics do not fit

PiptheFair wrote: »

Pretty much, yeah.

237zvp2pmic3.png

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

Pretty much, yeah.

237zvp2pmic3.png

Basically they got murderpillaged into insanity and cannibalism by Chaos worshippers and they still see themselves as a court of nobles as their coping mechanism.

Then the Carrion King showed up after escaping from Nagash and started making some of them vampires too.

It's some of the better AoS fluff, I just wish I didn't hate most of the minis.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don't... think the actual Bretonnians made the leap between settings. They died off along with everyone else. At best, the souls of Bretonnian dead might endure in one of the underworlds in the Realm of the Dead. Maybe whatever afterlife the Bretonnians believed in exists there.

I think the only thing they have in common with the Courts are that the Courts think they all look like a Bretonnian-esque civilization (i.e. lots of medieval style chivalry and finery), while in reality they're gross cannibal ghouls.

Honestly, I was hoping if anything Nagash would bust out 'Ghost Bretonnia' as this awesome army of phantasmal knights, still noble and chivalrous riding glorious steeds in drapes and so forth, but y'know... ghosts. Noble ghost-knight army. Also this should happen with the Tomb Kings too.

I guess it could still happen. 'Undead' that aren't part of the 'Death' grand alliance, who seem like they all have to do what Nagash wants.

H9f4bVe.png
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular

Pretty much, yeah.

snip

Basically they got murderpillaged into insanity and cannibalism by Chaos worshippers and they still see themselves as a court of nobles as their coping mechanism.

Then the Carrion King showed up after escaping from Nagash and started making some of them vampires too.

It's some of the better AoS fluff, I just wish I didn't hate most of the minis.

What the hell, I thought they were just strigoi/ghouls. I do no like anything about AoS at all. :( I'm going to end up one of those "9th Age" people aren't I?

akirasig.jpg
    edited February 2019
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I don't... think the actual Bretonnians made the leap between settings.

Well, no. Nothing did*. There's been an incomprehensible span of time between the End Times, the Age of Myth, the Age of Chaos, and the Age of Sigmar. Flesh-Eater Courts aren't what happened to Bretonnians. They just see themselves as people who are an awful lot like Bretonnians.

Kitbashing them with Bretonnian/Empire bitz is pretty popular if I recall.

* except the gods

Dr_Keenbean on
    there are no arthurian questing knights or pegasi though

kinda important thematic aspects

also the skaven and kinda sorta the vampire counts both survived thanks to new "gods" helping them out

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Picked up some squig dice this week

They're everything I hoped they could be

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    *looks at skaven battletome, spells, terrain, and dice*

*Hyperventilates in warpstone*

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I love the dice and the fact that finally Skaven are getting a unified Battletome.

Now I just need a Darkoath Battletome with amazing dice and cool terrain.

edited February 2019
    there are no arthurian questing knights or pegasi though

kinda important thematic aspects

You should read the fluff in their battletome if you get the chance, they're one of the more interesting minor factions. I am far from the only person who has come to the conclusion that they are the delusional remnants of a Bretonnian-like society. GW lays it on pretty thick in the fluff.

I really wish the Brets would actually come back as models if not in name and specifics at least general theme. They were my favorite faction in WHFB. We'll have to make do with Total War for the time being.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

I was kinda hoping there would be more new Skaven stuff; weapon teams, acolytes (wind globadiers) Eshin stuff that matched the aesthetic of the rest of the range, eat ogres, etc...

PSN Fleety2009
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »

I was kinda hoping there would be more new Skaven stuff; weapon teams, acolytes (wind globadiers) Eshin stuff that matched the aesthetic of the rest of the range, eat ogres, etc...

I have a few skaven models as for a time I really wanted to build that as a army but it was ever so expensive
    I have this model

5zkb3wxe4lke.png
    I realized it's old as balls now

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think the skaven stuff looks pretty good currently. They got all those storm fiends and war engines and verminlords that really fit in with the current AoS aesthetic. More is always welcome, of course. Maybe the new warp-engineer guy is only the start.

H9f4bVe.png
    That’s an interestingly low model elite force they picked for the Skaven.

Got an Underworlds tourney this weekend, see if I can win my fourth glass trophy. I strongly doubt it as there are some recognisable names from the UW scene attending.

Also I really need to move on from Orruks. Two of my trophies are with them but I keep falling back on them due to familiarity and the fact that I have them painted.

One more time, then I’ll shelve them. Mollog looks fun.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    That’s an interestingly low model elite force they picked for the Skaven.

Got an Underworlds tourney this weekend, see if I can win my fourth glass trophy. I strongly doubt it as there are some recognisable names from the UW scene attending.

Also I really need to move on from Orruks. Two of my trophies are with them but I keep falling back on them due to familiarity and the fact that I have them painted.

One more time, then I’ll shelve them. Mollog looks fun.

I read a tactics article recently that said Mollog was basically the final nail in the Ironjawz coffin. There's nothing they can do that other newer factions cant do better (apparently, i'm very casual player).
    I love orruks tho, so its sad. A 3 strong Brute team might be a fun future release.
    I'm thinking of trying original flavour stormcast again next time I play. Might be fun to do a more tanky team.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited February 2019
    I think people think of UW Orruks as pure aggro when I have my best success using them as a hybrid force. Gurzag's choppiness is an obvious strength but people don't lean into their other prime value of bags and bags of hitpoints. I wince every time people talk about deliberately wounding their own Orruks to inspire. Stop doing your opponent's job for them!

I take loads of defensive cards to make Gurzag a massive pain in the unkillable ass and he does what he does best chopping up everyone near him with support from Bonekutta.

Meanwhile Basha and Hakka passively gain glory sat on objectives on the backfield as big old bags of hitpoints that are hard to shift, who become not bad at hitting back if anyone goes for them.

Against aggro bands the fact they can't one shot me slows them down significantly, and against mob bands all the Ork specific extra attack cards let Gurzag enter blender mode.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Now I lost a game because of a combo of bad rolls and bad pulls from the deck with the Orruks against the undead
    I have yet to get Nightvault because I keep forgetting and blackstone fortress took it's spot we might go back to it as it was quick and fun to play

I am not sold on the mollog set because well I got the Magore’s Fiends set and only played one game but I feel I am going to get the Eyes of 9 next to see how it does since my brother knows the tricks I was pulling and he wants to try out a different warband

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    If I understand the Gristlegore (clearly the name of new music sub-genre) right, Flesheaters can now field an army made up of nothing but dragons.
    https://warhammer-community.com/2019/02/06/6th-feb-battletome-flesh-eater-courts-the-lowdowngw-homepage-post-3/

honovere on
    Well, you can only have four behemoths in a 2000 matched play game, but those four behemoths could be your battleline choices, so pretty much!

The Skaven terrain feature looks to be very useful, maybe the most useful of these new army specific scenery pieces.

This discussion has been closed.