As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Red Dwarf] Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas. ... Whatever!

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Oh I know. I could quote series 1-6 in my sleep I watched them so often when I were a lad. Wore that VCR out.

I bounced hard off 7 though and kind of lost touch from that point on.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. They lost their edge with season 7. That was when one of the two show runners left. It seemed like he was the science fiction part of the show.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    7 was rough because it was too heavily populated. It ran completely counter to the premise of the show which is that Lister is the last human being alive. That's not to say some good didn't come out of, like Cassandra, but that could have been achieved without the resurrected crew.

It was pretty ingenious to allow Rimmer to leave, and then bring him back as a version that hasn't had all the growth of the former so he could be a massive antagonist again. While our original Rimmer is either bedding women left and right finally, or part of the great ring of Rimmers.

AlphaRomero on
    That and IT WAS THE WRONG KOCHANKSKI which at age 15 was unforgivable heresy.

Hopefully I’m a little more mature and can look past that now.

Hopefully.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Things improve allot when you get to season 3.

I would say the show truly starts there. Robert's Kryten was a key element to the show.

I think there's a lot to appreciate in S1-2

Kryten was a way to inject more science fiction into the show. He is the resident nerd.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Kryten was a way to inject more science fiction into the show. He is the resident nerd.

He also knows the Space Corps directives

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    7 was rough because it was too heavily populated. It ran completely counter to the premise of the show which is that Lister is the last human being alive. That's not to say some good didn't come out of, like Cassandra, but that could have been achieved without the resurrected crew.

It was pretty ingenious to allow Rimmer to leave, and then bring him back as a version that hasn't had all the growth of the former so he could be a massive antagonist again. While our original Rimmer is either bedding women left and right finally, or part of the great ring of Rimmers.

I think you're thinking of 8, but yes.

7 has some good episodes, at least early on. Tikka to Ride, Duct Soup and, of course, Stoke Me a Clipper.

Jazz wrote: »

I think you're thinking of 8, but yes.

7 has some good episodes, at least early on. Tikka to Ride, Duct Soup and, of course, Stoke Me a Clipper.

Actually, I was thinking of 8 as well. 7 was still good.

I have been watching season 11 and 12. They are actually quite good.

Up to season 7 in my attempt to catch up.

Ugh. It’s bad. There are good moments, but putting aside nerdy plot complaints, this series dips into sexist and homophobic jokes that just have not aged well at all.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited January 2019
    I-VIII are now out on Blu-ray (in the UK, at least). I'm curious to see how well the upscaling has worked given that, back then, the show was shot on videotape and thus isn't (wasn't?) considered a great candidate for HD. All the extras (bar like one or two) from the excellent DVD sets are included, albeit still on DVD. I'm hesitant to pick it up as I've got the series DVDs already but I definitely want to see how it's turned out.

Edit: plenty of chatter on the forums at blu-ray.com. Most of the screengrabs show small improvements; less aliasing, generally improved colour grading, sometimes a slightly sharper image, etc. Some cropping to tidy up fuzzy edges and aspect ratios, with mixed results (the DVDs had cropping issues too, especially VI). Basically they couldn't work miracles with the rather limited sources that exist for the shows (can only work with what you've got), but it looks like a modest, if definitely unspectacular, improvement from the DVDs. Don't expect to be blown away. But it's priced to suit, it's not an expensive set.

Jazz on

Ugh. It’s bad. There are good moments, but putting aside nerdy plot complaints, this series dips into sexist and homophobic jokes that just have not aged well at all.

There are some good Season 7 episodes especially the first 3. Tikka to ride is one of the best time travel episodes of anything I've ever seen.

There are some good Season 7 episodes especially the first 3. Tikka to ride is one of the best time travel episodes of anything I've ever seen.

It’s an awful time travel episode! We had one episode (though many broadcast years) earlier established that the time travel drive didn’t move them in space, yet suddenly it can take them to Dallas.

And at the start of the very same episode we establish that being killed by your future self creates a self erasing paradox, and then get JFK to kill his past self and it sticks!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Red Dwarf's continuity has always been all over the place. Once, Lister was well aware he was terrible on his guitar, yet later he believes himself to be "the ghost of Hendrix".

edited January 2019
    Absolutely. Two appendices and all that. But at least keep it consistent within a single episode!

Inconsistent time travel mechanics are just a pet peeve of mine.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Different time travel device. The one theat couldn't move in space was destroyed.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Different time travel device. The one theat couldn't move in space was destroyed.

Mc zany wrote: »

It was stated to be the same device. The timeline 'reset' to before they got the device and then they went back to get it again.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Red Dwarf never gave a shit about continuity. All of the time travel episodes contradict each other.

Fencingsax on
    edited January 2019
    I've got Emohawk on now, and in terms of flighty continuity, am reminded how the Emohawk manages to give both Cat and hard-light Rimmer entirely new hairstyles, as well as change Cat's teeth. But it makes that whole part of the episode work, of course.

The scene where Cat and Rimmer are talking just after Rimmer staggers out of Starbug's cockpit is wonderful because you can see Chris Barrie is trying desperately not to corpse up or burst out laughing. He can barely keep a straight face, only just manages, and I love it so much.

Jazz on
    What a hologram can do is hilariously variable past season 2 indeed. Quarantine makes all kinds of no sense but I'll forgive anything of Mr. Flibble.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I don’t care that the time travel mechanics changed for Tikka to Ride.

That is probably my favourite episode. Just the ‘Chickens good!’ bit kills me every time.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    What a hologram can do is hilariously variable past season 2 indeed. Quarantine makes all kinds of no sense but I'll forgive anything of Mr. Flibble.

They tried justifying that at some point, giving Rimmer the different kinds of light bee and letting him swap between hard and soft light. Even changed his costume IIRC

Oh brilliant
    I think it was becoming a problem trying to write around Rimmer not being able to touch anything. Chris Barrie was probably getting fed up with that aspect too.

But yeah, sometimes they'd deliberately "forget" he had a light bee if it was convenient for the plot.

Or make a point of it, like the end of Meltdown... :lol:

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I think it was becoming a problem trying to write around Rimmer not being able to touch anything. Chris Barrie was probably getting fed up with that aspect too.

But yeah, sometimes they'd deliberately "forget" he had a light bee if it was convenient for the plot.

Or make a point of it, like the end of Meltdown... :lol:

yeah a lot of the changes were because of basic functionality. Also Kryten was added because they needed someone that wasn't an idiot on the team and not stuck in a tv.

Okay, done with season 8. Good moments interspersed with the most bizarrely nonsensical plotting.

This is the end of my anniversary box set. Is it worth tracking down Back to Earth or should I just skip on to series X+ which seem to be all be free streaming in the UK?

Search BtE online makes it sound very weird indeed.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    It is weird but it's worth watching.

Back to Earth is basically one of the creators wanking himself, but it is entertaining.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Honestly, Back to Earth put me off so much I didn't bother with the new series for a long time. I didn't enjoy it at all.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

That is probably my favourite episode. Just the ‘Chickens good!’ bit kills me every time.

The time travel device froze up so they couldn't use it.

Setting it down near the fire for a little while fixed that problem though.

Aistan wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

The time travel device froze up so they couldn't use it.

Setting it down near the fire for a little while fixed that problem though.

'I've just been jabbing it too hard...'.

edited January 2019
    I always thought the time travel machine change comes from the paradox resolving itself.

Krathoon on
    Back to Earth is basically one of the creators wanking himself, but it is entertaining.

That was an astoundingly accurate description.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    The Red Dwarf crew were lunching together earlier this month. Probably planning next season.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I've been rewatching the original series on Netflix

It's a shock to the system seeing what perfectly reasonable ageing looks like if you skip 20 years

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I've been rewatching the original series on Netflix

It's a shock to the system seeing what perfectly reasonable ageing looks like if you skip 20 years

Apart from Danny John-Jules who is actuality a vampire that lucked out on a role where he can use his real teeth.

DanHibiki on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I expected a lot of chat about the episode Quarantine when I saw this thread come up.

• HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Look I'm just saying if you'd all voted for Flibble then this crisis would already be dealt with