As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] The CCG that started it all, now F2P. New set incoming

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

Lifegain white/black of some sort maybe?
    With Shalai's imo.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I just ate 4 Ill-Gotten Inheritances to lose in a draft game. :O What. The. Eff.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I just ate 4 Ill-Gotten Inheritances to lose in a draft game. :O What. The. Eff.

That card is super legit. Like... yeah. It is the opposite of how bad it looks (i.e. it does nothing when you cast it for 4 mana).

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Mass Manipulation is good.

Multiple Mass Manipulations are exponentially good.

l1mcd0h7pkcr.jpg

Currently 3-1 in sealed. Cast at least one MM in every game.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Mass Manipulation is good.

Multiple Mass Manipulations are exponentially good.

l1mcd0h7pkcr.jpg

Currently 3-1 in sealed. Cast at least one MM in every game.

Isn't that just mass Mass Manipulations at that point?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

That card is super legit. Like... yeah. It is the opposite of how bad it looks (i.e. it does nothing when you cast it for 4 mana).

The draft format feels slow and most good decks seem capable of clogging up the board, so I agree.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Oof, ever get one of those drafts where everything you're offered is just junk?

And then you run into back to back weenie death touch?

And then my 0-2 consolation prize pack's rare is a land.

Game, please

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    12 Drake Izzet is fun and cheap as hell for Bo1, for anyone looking for something to get them through the transition without losing too many wildcards.

4x Pteramander
    4x Crackling Drake
    4x Enigma Drake

4x Chart a Course
    4x Warlord's Fury
    4x Dive Down
    4x Opt
    4x Crash Through
    4x Shock
    2x Maximize Velocity
    2x Lava Coil

4x Sulfur Falls
    4x Steam Vents
    6x Island
    6x Mountain

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Wilderness Reclamation is amazing for simic

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Okay, someone show me a deck that can stop mono red that isn't just mono red. Because that's 90% of my games in diamond and I am real tired of it.

Rakdos Burn. You get the 0/4 walls that block their critters for days and enhance all your burn, Sovereign's Bite for damage and lifegain, Risk Factor, Light up the Stage and Sword Point Diplomacy for card draw.

I'd suggest playing a couple of Fiery Cannonade over the Fanatical Firebrands maindeck, and I'm looking at good answers to problem enchantments, like Experimental Frenzy and Dawk of Hope. The fact that we don't have Abrade hurts, but there's some sort of decent enchantment hate that can also do something else so it's not a dead card (and it's not the 2/2 goblin for 3).

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    First allegiance draft, and this pile of gruul cards is somehow at 4 wins

r0sglw62m9ov.png

I only went into Gruul because that was a first pick Ravager Wurm and I needed one. So far it's been working out pretty well, but it's dicey because most of my removal is off the back of that clan crusher guy

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Okay, someone show me a deck that can stop mono red that isn't just mono red. Because that's 90% of my games in diamond and I am real tired of it.

Rakdos Burn. You get the 0/4 walls that block their critters for days and enhance all your burn, Sovereign's Bite for damage and lifegain, Risk Factor, Light up the Stage and Sword Point Diplomacy for card draw.

I'd suggest playing a couple of Fiery Cannonade over the Fanatical Firebrands maindeck, and I'm looking at good answers to problem enchantments, like Experimental Frenzy and Dawk of Hope. The fact that we don't have Abrade hurts, but there's some sort of decent enchantment hate that can also do something else so it's not a dead card (and it's not the 2/2 goblin for 3).

A lot of the red decks aren't running frenzy anymore. There's a burn variant that doesn't care about its creatures, it just lights up the stage and sets you on fire repeatedly. I don't think the rakdos deck has a good match up against it unfortunately.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i've found having sovereign's bite and card draw generally gives me the edge against mono-red or other rakdos decks i've run into but idk, stuff is still developing. i lit. don't think i ran into a single rakdos burn deck until allegiance hit then I ran into the mirror match several times so &_& people are still experimenting and there isn't a total net deck consensus

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Yeah, I've found Rakdos Burn usually beats Mono Red (draws allowing). Sovereign's Bite plus the speedbumps usually lift you.

It's not a 100% win rate or anything, but I've never felt "Oh shit it's mono red" when I have Rakdos Burn.

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    The new mono red is faster but weaker to the explore package since they run a sorc speed bolt and don't have room for lava coils.

I'm guessing a orzov midrange deck trounces mono-red but I haven't seen one played yet and I don't have the cards for it.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I mean, standard is such right now that very few people have the support from the new set in their decks yet except for monored where it is incredibly cheap. I'm not even playing standard yet because I just don't have the cards until I've done half a dozen more drafts. I would not expect standard trends you see right now to hold for more than a couple of weeks.

• Options
    furbat wrote: »
    The new mono red is faster but weaker to the explore package since they run a sorc speed bolt and don't have room for lava coils.

I'm guessing a orzov midrange deck trounces mono-red but I haven't seen one played yet and I don't have the cards for it.

They run 8 lightning bolts, so if you can hold up one of those Wildgrowth Walker isn't much of an issue. Skewer the Critics is a 1 mana bolt most of the time so if wildgrowth comes out on turn two, it is gone. Doesn't seem weaker to the explore package at all since they have even more ways to kill the walkers now. Still not super great if you can manage to stick one and explore in the same turn, but they've got a lot to stop you from doing that.

Also light up the stage is bonkers good.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I've only played a pair of games against burn with my not great BGw deck (and lost both, but they were close despite having underwhelming starts), but my sense is that Knights of Autumn and Centaur Peacemakers would make very good speed bumps until you can get a Shalai, Voice of Fuck You to stick.

Maybe GWb is the way to go; I'm trying out the Revival/Revenge I opened and grabbing a Knight from the graveyard feels pretty saucy.

• Options
    Unsure what was better in the game I just played, Settle the Wreckaging two Gate Colossi or whacking him with a Thief of Sanity and exiling the other two, face down, so he didn't know as he dug through his deck he'd never find them.

• Options
    edited January 2019

They run 8 lightning bolts, so if you can hold up one of those Wildgrowth Walker isn't much of an issue. Skewer the Critics is a 1 mana bolt most of the time so if wildgrowth comes out on turn two, it is gone. Doesn't seem weaker to the explore package at all since they have even more ways to kill the walkers now. Still not super great if you can manage to stick one and explore in the same turn, but they've got a lot to stop you from doing that.

All the things you said were true before the expansion too with the exception that they are running light up the stage and skewer over lava coils and less phoenixes/frenzy/and risk factors. This makes the deck faster, but weaker if you put bodies on the ground in the first 3 turns. The explore package wants to put elves, and 2-3 drops down. And with something like 150 Bo1 games between 2 different versions of golgari I was able to maintain a 67% winrate against RDW in Bo1.

Yeah, if you are playing a deck that doesn't interact with RDW in any meaningful way then you just fold by turn 4. But if they have to spend burn on walkers and explore champs that trade favorably they don't do so hot.

furbat on
  • Options

All the things you said were true before the expansion too with the exception that they are running light up the stage and skewer over lava coils and less phoenixes/frenzy/and risk factors. This makes the deck faster, but weaker if you put bodies on the ground in the first 3 turns. The explore package wants to put elves, and 2-3 drops down. And with something like 150 Bo1 games between 2 different versions of golgari I was able to maintain a 67% winrate against RDW in Bo1.

Yeah, if you are playing a deck that doesn't interact with RDW in any meaningful way then you just fold by turn 4. But if they have to spend burn on walkers and explore champs that trade favorably they don't do so hot.

They don't need lava coil. Burn doesn't win with creatures, it wins by bolting you in the face. The only reason they save a bolt for the walker is to stop lifegain. They can ignore your explore champs entirely. RDW is better against golgari with this new set, at least right now. Phoenixes aren't getting much play, and neither is frenzy, because they don't need them. Those are too slow for the burn game plan. Light up the Stage is essentially 1 mana divination which gives them plenty of gas already.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I wonder if Good Boy (Resolute Watchdog) might be a strong card to run against monored

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    This dumb Sultai deck i put together full of cards that i enjoy playing with very little synergy sometimes does fun things.
    pmgol7jl64lx.jpg

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited January 2019

They don't need lava coil. Burn doesn't win with creatures, it wins by bolting you in the face. The only reason they save a bolt for the walker is to stop lifegain. They can ignore your explore champs entirely. RDW is better against golgari with this new set, at least right now. Phoenixes aren't getting much play, and neither is frenzy, because they don't need them. Those are too slow for the burn game plan. Light up the Stage is essentially 1 mana divination which gives them plenty of gas already.

I haven't found this to be true. Are you running golgari at all?

There is a weird 100% face RDW running around but I assume we aren't talking about the electrostatic field version.

furbat on
  • Options

There is a weird 100% face RDW running around but I assume we aren't talking about the electrostatic field version.

That's absolutely the version I'm talking about.

1 Fanatical Firebrand
    4 Spear Spewer
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Viashino Pyromancer
    4 Electrostatic Field
    4 Shock
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Wizard's Lightning
    4 Risk Factor
    4 Light Up the Stage
    4 Skewer the Critics
    19 Mountain

is going around and it is vicious

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I've gotten a couple Teysas out of boosters. I am almost tempted to see if I can hack white into my silly saproling deck because my tokens dying and Slimefoot is how I end up killing half the time anyway, and vigilance+lifelink on the sapros sounds pretty hilarious.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

1 Fanatical Firebrand
    4 Spear Spewer
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Viashino Pyromancer
    4 Electrostatic Field
    4 Shock
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Wizard's Lightning
    4 Risk Factor
    4 Light Up the Stage
    4 Skewer the Critics
    19 Mountain

See, now that list doesn't require attacking for damage. However, that list is even worse vs golari in my experience because golgari's removal lines up pretty well against field.

I always found electrostatic field to be really slow against golgari. I've been running a list with 2x ritual of soot mainboard. If you kill the field and choose damage from risk factor the first time, that RDW deck moves real slow. In fact, the old rakdos burn using sword point etc did terribly vs me all last cycle.

If your forms of early game removal are settle, seal away, deafening clarion, fog etc, yeah you are going to lose hard to that deck.

I don't think that version has legs. But right now everyone wants to play solataire decks that don't respect what their opponent is trying to do at all so it's probably free wins all day long for them.

Also, 19 lands seems really really low. I'm guessing the Bo1 starting hand algorithm is being exploited. I saw something posted where there was a cut off for the starting hand agorithm favoring 1,2, and 3 lands in your opening hand. I don't know if it was just speculation but I'm fairly certain that at 23-24 lands it is favoring 2 lands over 3 in your starting hand. If I remember the claim was that 19 and 26 were the cut offs. But who knows.

furbat on
  • Options

1 Fanatical Firebrand
    4 Spear Spewer
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Viashino Pyromancer
    4 Electrostatic Field
    4 Shock
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Wizard's Lightning
    4 Risk Factor
    4 Light Up the Stage
    4 Skewer the Critics
    19 Mountain

See, now that list doesn't require attacking for damage. However, that list is even worse vs golari in my experience because golgari's removal lines up pretty well against field.

I always found electrostatic field to be really slow against golgari. I've been running a list with 2x ritual of soot mainboard. If you kill the field and choose damage from risk factor the first time, that RDW deck moves real slow. In fact, the old rakdos burn using sword point etc did terribly vs me all last cycle.

If your forms of early game removal are settle, seal away, deafening clarion, fog etc, yeah you are going to lose hard to that deck.

That deck routinely wins on turn 3-4

Electrostatic field can make it hit real hard out of nowhere. I've used it to take out decks that lifegained back up to 16 in one turn with 6 mana on the board if the game happens to go long.

I actually haven't been seeing much golgari, it seems like the mono red players have taken over in droves.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Game, please

Ooh at least you won out on the pack

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Game, please

Ooh at least you won out on the pack

unless it's that rare not-a-Gate gate.

• Options

1 Fanatical Firebrand
    4 Spear Spewer
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Viashino Pyromancer
    4 Electrostatic Field
    4 Shock
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Wizard's Lightning
    4 Risk Factor
    4 Light Up the Stage
    4 Skewer the Critics
    19 Mountain

Electrostatic field can make it hit real hard out of nowhere. I've used it to take out decks that lifegained back up to 16 in one turn with 6 mana on the board if the game happens to go long.

I actually haven't been seeing much golgari, it seems like the mono red players have taken over in droves.

RDW hasn't driven golgari away.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

1 Fanatical Firebrand
    4 Spear Spewer
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Viashino Pyromancer
    4 Electrostatic Field
    4 Shock
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Wizard's Lightning
    4 Risk Factor
    4 Light Up the Stage
    4 Skewer the Critics
    19 Mountain

I don't think that version has legs. But right now everyone wants to play solataire decks that don't respect what their opponent is trying to do at all so it's probably free wins all day long for them.

Also, 19 lands seems really really low. I'm guessing the Bo1 starting hand algorithm is being exploited. I saw something posted where there was a cut off for the starting hand agorithm favoring 1,2, and 3 lands in your opening hand. I don't know if it was just speculation but I'm fairly certain that at 23-24 lands it is favoring 2 lands over 3 in your starting hand. If I remember the claim was that 19 and 26 were the cut offs. But who knows.

?
    19 lands seems right.
    You just miss land drops because you don't need them.
    It is always amusing beating someone's 7-8 land "has some sort of complicated gameplan" deck with three land and face damage.

discrider on
  • Options

1 Fanatical Firebrand
    4 Spear Spewer
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Viashino Pyromancer
    4 Electrostatic Field
    4 Shock
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Wizard's Lightning
    4 Risk Factor
    4 Light Up the Stage
    4 Skewer the Critics
    19 Mountain

RDW hasn't driven golgari away.

I dunno, I've played 25 constructed event games as mono burn this morning

And one has been golgari. (Also I beat them with the burn deck)

11 were red aggro of some sort and the rest were lifegain decks, izzet drakes, or control.

Control seems to actually do pretty well because they're putting in like 4 negates, 4 sabotage, 4 ionize, some are running absorb, etc. Hard to burn to face when none of your spells resolve.

Also one guy apparently got to mythic running a 15 land deck, claiming it was exploiting the balanced land hand thing in arena so that's interesting.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Goglari isn't being played because of all the bant. They can basically do nothing.

furbat on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ah, the golgari are banned? I mean bannet

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I've been seeing a lot less bant because it gets eaten by esper and RDW. So I think golgari will come back.

I need to turn on my tracker, but I've basically played this game for 3 days straight now lol.

furbat on
  • Options
    Man, I love Pestilent Spirit so much. Flashbacks to Vampire Nighthawk.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Man, I love Pestilent Spirit so much. Flashbacks to Vampire Nighthawk.

menace + deathtouch + power higher than 1 = very hard to deal with. Especially with two of the common removal spells being fight cards.

• Options
    With the next set wrapping up the Bolas story line I'd put solid money on a Phyrexia block soon.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think the next big story beat, narratively, should be the rescue of Elspeth - particularly since they teased her with the Mythic Edition last set, in a really lame way

which, of course, segues nicely into a phyrexian conflict

liEt3nH.png