As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whatever happened to the [TV] Thread?

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    so i'm relatively green in terms of comic-universe tv shows, particularly DC, but i've been watching titans because the banner was really big

are they all so hamstrung by the ominous, untouchable presence of the movie-tier superheroes? good or not good as it'd otherwise be it seems so strange that almost every episode has to be about robin and his relationship with batman. it'd be fine if it weren't for the tacit knowledge that they're not going to muddy the waters by actually resolving any of this with a significant on-screen bruce wayne. it's like playing a videogame with cheesy invisible walls in front of the most intriguing environments...

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I assume they will eventually cast Batman. Kinda like how Supergirl danced around Superman for a bit.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    So, you don't like the way our little fictional war came out? You don't like Rachel dead and Tobias shattered and Jake guilt-ridden? You don't like that one war simply led to another? Fine. Pretty soon you'll all be of voting age, and of draft age. So when someone proposes a war, remember that even the most necessary wars, even the rare wars where the lines of good and evil are clear and clean, end with a lot of people dead, a lot of people crippled, and a lot of orphans, widows and grieving parents.

I like that letter a lot. It's a powerful defense of art-as-moral-stance.

I've previously gone to the mat for the Mockingjay, because I dig that kind of, "PTSD is a real thing, and horrific stories don't get easy happy endings" vibe. It was an unpopular opinion!

I feel like as we move further and further away from release, and the hype of "this is the conclusion to a wildly popular YA franchise," Mockingjay is going to get a much better rep. Because it's not out of line with what happens in the first two, and it never really forgets what everything costs.

But I'm the guy whose favorite part of the last Harry Potter book is when they're endlessly wandering through the countryside, so I might not be the best judge

That was also my favorite part of endgame HP, so, yeah. Maybe it's us.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    So, you don't like the way our little fictional war came out? You don't like Rachel dead and Tobias shattered and Jake guilt-ridden? You don't like that one war simply led to another? Fine. Pretty soon you'll all be of voting age, and of draft age. So when someone proposes a war, remember that even the most necessary wars, even the rare wars where the lines of good and evil are clear and clean, end with a lot of people dead, a lot of people crippled, and a lot of orphans, widows and grieving parents.

I like that letter a lot. It's a powerful defense of art-as-moral-stance.

I've previously gone to the mat for the Mockingjay, because I dig that kind of, "PTSD is a real thing, and horrific stories don't get easy happy endings" vibe. It was an unpopular opinion!

I feel like as we move further and further away from release, and the hype of "this is the conclusion to a wildly popular YA franchise," Mockingjay is going to get a much better rep. Because it's not out of line with what happens in the first two, and it never really forgets what everything costs.

But I'm the guy whose favorite part of the last Harry Potter book is when they're endlessly wandering through the countryside, so I might not be the best judge

That was also my favorite part of endgame HP, so, yeah. Maybe it's us.

Nah, Mikey Neumann thinks that part is awesome also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW85KgZh8gs

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Thinking about Runaways.

Spoilers through S02E06 and all of the comics:
    Okay so I am still really enjoying season two. I was one of the people who loved the first season, but the second is so much better.

But I've been thinking about everyone's superpowers. With the second season they've come to match up with the comic more and more - the Staff of One's restriction, Karolina's continued scale increase, Gert's actual factual telepathic link with a dinosaur. In the first season the Staff might have been significantly advanced technology, and Old Lace might have just liked Gert because she had acclimated to her voice.

And maybe these are retcons, maybe they just decided to go all in after complaints about the first season, but that's not what I've been thinking about. The first season billed itself as a more realistic and grounded version of the comics. And who can blame them? Every superhero TV and movie adaptation bills itself that way, in one way or another. It's just matching the overall style.

But the second season is pushing away from that a bit, in what I find to be a really interesting way. Because the more realistic part, at this point in time, isn't that like, superhero stuff is causing Chase's knees to give out or whatever. It's that everyone has a lot of emotions. Specifically, a lot of emotions about their parents and about running away.

The comic said that everyone was happy to run away, and that one person would betray everyone. The show argues the opposite - everyone was unhappy to run away, and everyone will have their own betrayals of the group. The idea that only one person would have that remorse and that he would so cleanly Turn Villain, that's the comic book unreality of Runaways, not the super strength or the magic or aliens or whatever. And there's a bit of bait and switch to get you there, maybe, but that's what the show's relationship to the comic feels like right now (which is admittedly halfway through a season).

Anyways the moral is that Runaways is better than ever and dang y'all should watch it.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    re-reading animorphs #1, secret animorphs thread

so after watching the villain literally eat a good guy (and minions gobble up the table scraps), the group runs for their lives. The narrator is being chased by a couple of minions, and ends up in a small maze-like building. Finding the exit with moments to spare, he stumbles over a homeless person. As he escapes, the "homeless guy screamed."

the narrator consoles himself by hoping that the guy got away.

yeah, no, this is cheerful story. No question.

Tamin on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    New Star Trek was quite good! It balanced drama and humour well, and I'm curious about the current mystery and I'm eager to see where they go now that they've done the initial set-up.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Sex Education is really very good. It is the first show of 2019 to make me audibly gasp.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I got through the Game Night episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine last night and it was very good.

And it pushed Rosa Diaz right up to my second favorite character on the show (Holt is still the first) for obvious reasons.

Good to see representation even if it showcases a hard/challenging situation.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    About a year ago, I warned this thread not to sleep on Happy! And then guess what?

You all fucking slept on Happy!

Season 2 is coming in March:

https://youtu.be/ggzPWPzLxIc

So you'll have a chance to maybe, just maybe, learn from your mistakes.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Finished Season 1 of Titans
    I'm low-key peeved about episode 12 being moved to season 2, since in a vacuum episode 11 was an interesting what if scenario about Gotham truly buckling under its own weight, but making it the season finale by way of punting the actual last episode down the road makes 11 more frustrating.

I'm interested to see if they build on the groundwork since the show talks about the world at large and at best obfuscates a lot of it. There's a difference between letting the Titans shine and having the DC version of Wilson from Home Improvement writ large.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Sex Education is really very good. It is the first show of 2019 to make me audibly gasp.

I felt some of the reveals at the end were cliche but I Iiked it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I thought happy was bad

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

I felt some of the reveals at the end were cliche but I Iiked it.

Yeah, I gasped when
    Otis told Jackson to make a grand gesture, I was not expecting that at all.

I agree with the end of the season, I power watched the entire thing yesterday. Other than Eric's story I really didn't like the last two episodes of the season.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I thought happy was bad

It's actually good though.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Is anyone else watching True Detective, Season 3?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    New Star Trek was quite good! It balanced drama and humour well, and I'm curious about the current mystery and I'm eager to see where they go now that they've done the initial set-up.

Discovery? Or did that Picard one come out yet?

• Options
    Drez wrote: »

Disco, yeah. My big hope is that the lesser-known crew members get some time to shine, or we at least get to know them better.

• Options
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I've started watching The Mist in the background and everyone in this show is the dumbest person

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I finished Future Man S2. Saying "I did not think this is how it's going to end" is not only par for the course, I suppose, but also an understatement.
    Also putting Seth in the trailer when he's only in the last episode is pretty janky.

I mean, introducing Time Travel as not BttF-style but in fact DBZ-style is a bold move, especially if it culminates into Our Heroes becoming the worst people in all of history, in all the histories, full stop. But basically pulling all of that just to make them the stars of a Running Man parody next season (if it's picked up) is also a bold move.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The Hulu documentary about Fyre was pretty great. I guess I'll have to watch the Netflix one next time I sub for a month, to get more of the story.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Disco, yeah. My big hope is that the lesser-known crew members get some time to shine, or we at least get to know them better.

At least everyone got a line or two this ep, I think, and there were a few scenes were the bride crew were actually doing stuff.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    The punisher s2 manages to be dumb and bad, but above all boring. I cannot understand most of the choices they decided to go with. It seems to suffer the worst of the netflix filler that plagues these shows

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I do not understand why they have to make these shows 13 episodes so

so much fat that should've been cut

• Options
    Three episodes into the new Carmen Sandiego and I'm enjoying it so far. I had no affiliation with the franchise until now, but the characters have a lot of personality and I dig the format.

• Options
    Oh god jigsaw justifying him being EVIIIIL by the fact that he is now horribly deformed because he has 3 mild scars is the dumbest fucking thing.

• Options
    I expected him to have shitloads of scars- a completely ruined face like two-face from The Dark Night

but nope it was kinda lame

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I do not understand why they have to make these shows 13 episodes so

so much fat that should've been cut
    I think Defenders proves that the problem with the Marvel Netflix experiment was not that they have too many episodes to fill. They're going to hand in the first draft of every scene regardless of how many episodes there are

• Options
    One of the other problems I really felt with the Marvel Netflix stuff is that they just don't do small stories at all. (And I think that is part of the Netflix bing experience) but it really feels like all of the Marvel Netflix shows have a four episode lull in the middle of the season for them to really grind out how they are changing the status quo. But thinking about it more, what I'd really like in those shows is just like a quick monster of the week for them to solve and explore the characters a bit more rather than always pushing the story forward.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    How does Punisher s2 compare to s1?

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    How does Punisher s2 compare to s1?

it's probably not as good

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, I really liked Punisher s2.

Though I agree they should have done more with Jigsaw's face. Hell, I've known guys with worse scars.

Overall I thought it was very solid. Good new characters, some decent arcs for others. Brutal fights of course.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I've started watching The Mist in the background and everyone in this show is the dumbest person

The Mist (TV Show) is just

just so bad

there's also a """twist""" at one point that is both terrible and offensive

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Veldrin wrote: »
    How does Punisher s2compare to s1?
    Punisher s1 was boring.
    This is bad and dumb and boring.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I got through the Game Night episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine last night and it was very good.

And it pushed Rosa Diaz right up to my second favorite character on the show (Holt is still the first) for obvious reasons.

Good to see representation even if it showcases a hard/challenging situation.

I don't cry at television very often. But the end of Game Night makes me cry every time. That episode meant a lot to me when it first aired and it's only become more personally-relevant since then.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i liked happy! but i think there's plenty of good reasons not to like happy!

also it disappoints me that the punisher show is so far from being good. how hard is it to just do the ennis run

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    i liked happy! but i think there's plenty of good reasons not to like happy!

also it disappoints me that the punisher show is so far from being good. how hard is it to just do the ennis run

Well even Ennis messed that up a few times

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
This discussion has been closed.