As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] The CCG that started it all, now F2P. New set incoming

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    i think the next big story beat, narratively, should be the rescue of Elspeth - particularly since they teased her with the Mythic Edition last set, in a really lame way

which, of course, segues nicely into a phyrexian conflict

Yeah Gideon dies fighting Bolas and she becomes the staple white planeswalker

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I picked up a Simic Ascendancy in a sealed I did the other night, and boy does that card tickle my deckcrafting side, I really want to make some fun +1/+1 counters bullshit shenanigans stuff.

I could only imagine the fun I could have if in the next couple blocks we return to Innistrad and I get a reissue of my favorite magic card for gross combos of all time, Cathars' Crusade.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    furbat wrote: »
    The new mono red is faster but weaker to the explore package since they run a sorc speed bolt and don't have room for lava coils.

I'm guessing a orzov midrange deck trounces mono-red but I haven't seen one played yet and I don't have the cards for it.

They run 8 lightning bolts, so if you can hold up one of those Wildgrowth Walker isn't much of an issue. Skewer the Critics is a 1 mana bolt most of the time so if wildgrowth comes out on turn two, it is gone. Doesn't seem weaker to the explore package at all since they have even more ways to kill the walkers now. Still not super great if you can manage to stick one and explore in the same turn, but they've got a lot to stop you from doing that.

Also light up the stage is bonkers good.

All the things you said were true before the expansion too with the exception that they are running light up the stage and skewer over lava coils and less phoenixes/frenzy/and risk factors. This makes the deck faster, but weaker if you put bodies on the ground in the first 3 turns. The explore package wants to put elves, and 2-3 drops down. And with something like 150 Bo1 games between 2 different versions of golgari I was able to maintain a 67% winrate against RDW in Bo1.

Yeah, if you are playing a deck that doesn't interact with RDW in any meaningful way then you just fold by turn 4. But if they have to spend burn on walkers and explore champs that trade favorably they don't do so hot.

They don't need lava coil. Burn doesn't win with creatures, it wins by bolting you in the face. The only reason they save a bolt for the walker is to stop lifegain. They can ignore your explore champs entirely. RDW is better against golgari with this new set, at least right now. Phoenixes aren't getting much play, and neither is frenzy, because they don't need them. Those are too slow for the burn game plan. Light up the Stage is essentially 1 mana divination which gives them plenty of gas already.

I haven't found this to be true. Are you running golgari at all?

There is a weird 100% face RDW running around but I assume we aren't talking about the electrostatic field version.

That's absolutely the version I'm talking about.

1 Fanatical Firebrand
    4 Spear Spewer
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Viashino Pyromancer
    4 Electrostatic Field
    4 Shock
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Wizard's Lightning
    4 Risk Factor
    4 Light Up the Stage
    4 Skewer the Critics
    19 Mountain

is going around and it is vicious

My only criticism is the lack of steamkin.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    5-1'd a traditional draft with what ended up being "Simic Ramp but also a bunch of Gate payoffs apparently", where in the last pack I picked up a Colossus and Gates Ablaze and Rhythm of the Wild, but unfortunately no red Gates. But I had two Gate Goats, one Gate Ophidian, two Open the Gates, Zegana, two Growth Spirals, two Gyre Engineers, 3 Simic gates and a couple Azorius gates so threw in some white stuff, and a mountain to cast the red spells. Rhythm of the Wild is definitely powerful and worth splashing (especially when you're playing Colossus), but you have to be smart (smarter than me anyway) when you put it in Simic with Adapt creatures. Haste has a lot more utility when it's a creature that can adapt for more than 1.

Also I think the format is going to feel the lack of a Crushing Canopy-esque card pretty hard. Tons of games get defined early on with an early Rhythm or Inheritance or Angelic Exaltation, not even counting rares like Absolution or Theater. And there's only one card at common that can kill enchantments.

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Had the most ridiculous game yesterday. It was a 67 minute long stalemate that ended when we were both down to our last few library cards, because the cascade of the other guy's triggered abilities (4x fountain of renewal, 4x dawn of hope, 4x ajani's welcome, 3x ajani's pridemate) in the end left no turn time to do any actual turn actions :D

Until then it was a Mexican standoff like I'd never seen before... he had no trample or vigilance (until the end), so even his 148/148 creatures wouldn't do much against my army of a couple dozen boosted saproling tokens.

In the end I even out-lifegained his lifegain deck thanks to the combo of Helm of the Host on Shanna, Sisay's Legacy with a Verdant Sun's Avatar netting me 60-odd life per turn.

3oHDq1Z.jpg

More pics and deck list here: https://imgur.com/a/TpTPcHU

Also hi thread! I'm playing this too!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    The new mono red is faster but weaker to the explore package since they run a sorc speed bolt and don't have room for lava coils.

I'm guessing a orzov midrange deck trounces mono-red but I haven't seen one played yet and I don't have the cards for it.

They run 8 lightning bolts, so if you can hold up one of those Wildgrowth Walker isn't much of an issue. Skewer the Critics is a 1 mana bolt most of the time so if wildgrowth comes out on turn two, it is gone. Doesn't seem weaker to the explore package at all since they have even more ways to kill the walkers now. Still not super great if you can manage to stick one and explore in the same turn, but they've got a lot to stop you from doing that.

All the things you said were true before the expansion too with the exception that they are running light up the stage and skewer over lava coils and less phoenixes/frenzy/and risk factors. This makes the deck faster, but weaker if you put bodies on the ground in the first 3 turns. The explore package wants to put elves, and 2-3 drops down. And with something like 150 Bo1 games between 2 different versions of golgari I was able to maintain a 67% winrate against RDW in Bo1.

Yeah, if you are playing a deck that doesn't interact with RDW in any meaningful way then you just fold by turn 4. But if they have to spend burn on walkers and explore champs that trade favorably they don't do so hot.

They don't need lava coil. Burn doesn't win with creatures, it wins by bolting you in the face. The only reason they save a bolt for the walker is to stop lifegain. They can ignore your explore champs entirely. RDW is better against golgari with this new set, at least right now. Phoenixes aren't getting much play, and neither is frenzy, because they don't need them. Those are too slow for the burn game plan. Light up the Stage is essentially 1 mana divination which gives them plenty of gas already.

There is a weird 100% face RDW running around but I assume we aren't talking about the electrostatic field version.

1 Fanatical Firebrand
    4 Spear Spewer
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Viashino Pyromancer
    4 Electrostatic Field
    4 Shock
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Wizard's Lightning
    4 Risk Factor
    4 Light Up the Stage
    4 Skewer the Critics
    19 Mountain

What would you drop for it? It doesn't seem to really need it and it is a removal magnet for sure.

• BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Went 7-0 with this ridiculous sealed deck. Angelic Exaltation is an absurd uncommon.

bg5k58ij7m9p.jpg

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

1 Fanatical Firebrand
    4 Spear Spewer
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Viashino Pyromancer
    4 Electrostatic Field
    4 Shock
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Wizard's Lightning
    4 Risk Factor
    4 Light Up the Stage
    4 Skewer the Critics
    19 Mountain

What would you drop for it? It doesn't seem to really need it and it is a removal magnet for sure.

Some combination of Wizard's Lightning and Pyromancers. Dies to doomblade seems like a pretty poor argument for not including it for all the times they don't remove it and you can just play your entire hand and win on turn 3.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.

1 Fanatical Firebrand
    4 Spear Spewer
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Viashino Pyromancer
    4 Electrostatic Field
    4 Shock
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Wizard's Lightning
    4 Risk Factor
    4 Light Up the Stage
    4 Skewer the Critics
    19 Mountain

Some combination of Wizard's Lightning and Pyromancers. Dies to doomblade seems like a pretty poor argument for not including it for all the times they don't remove it and you can just play your entire hand and win on turn 3.

It's a burn deck and those are both important parts of the burn. Pyromancer eating a removal spell is no big deal. Steamkin eating one means you wasted turn 2. And you can already win on turn 3 with the deck as it is.

• BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Paper Magic results from my Sealed event yesterday... 3-1 (6-2) with Orzhov! Had TWO Ethereal Absolutions and a Kaya in the pool.

Honestly only one of the eight games was even close in either way.
    Round 1 rolled over Azorius
    Round 2 absolutely crushed by a Gate deck. I had ways to deal with Gate Colossus but didn't draw them, got off to a slow start, and definitely could have played better.
    Round 3 rolled over Rakdos
    Round 4 rolled over Simic in the first game. The second game my opponent got me down to 5 and I came back to win with a Kaya ultimate.

Opened a foil Seraph of the Scales in the prize packs. Such a good day.

*Edit*
    Here's the deck. Forbidding Spirits and Undercity Scavengers were probably the real MVPs of getting stuff done. The Scry 2 helped so much. Twilight Panther was also good. Detered so many attacks and blocks.
    Kaya's a bit of a non-bo with Ethereal Absolution so I had to really think about what I was exiling.
    Plague Wight and Azorius Guildgate were sideboard cards I used. Plague Wight was actually decent when I needed to lower my curve just a bit. Azorius Guildgate got sided in because two opponents were running Eyes Everywhere.
    mqmrg26sr3ay.jpg

BreakfastPM on
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular

1 Fanatical Firebrand
    4 Spear Spewer
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Viashino Pyromancer
    4 Electrostatic Field
    4 Shock
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Wizard's Lightning
    4 Risk Factor
    4 Light Up the Stage
    4 Skewer the Critics
    19 Mountain

It's a burn deck and those are both important parts of the burn. Pyromancer eating a removal spell is no big deal. Steamkin eating one means you wasted turn 2. And you can already win on turn 3 with the deck as it is.

Watch the Memekin video I posted a couple days ago. Doesn’t need wizards lightning or wizards. A different take on RDW but really fun.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Incindium wrote: »

1 Fanatical Firebrand
    4 Spear Spewer
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    4 Viashino Pyromancer
    4 Electrostatic Field
    4 Shock
    4 Lightning Strike
    4 Wizard's Lightning
    4 Risk Factor
    4 Light Up the Stage
    4 Skewer the Critics
    19 Mountain

Watch the Memekin video I posted a couple days ago. Doesn’t need wizards lightning or wizards. A different take on RDW but really fun.

Oh I actually tried that out! It's fun for sure. I've noticed people are making a distinction between RDW and burn though, they are different decks with different game plans, although both red right now and sharing a lot of the same pieces.

Things that are great fun:
    1. Playing Tocatli Honor Guard and having your opponent try to kill it with Chupacabra

2. Playing 26 Persistent Petitioners in a deck and milling out your aggro opponent. It's unlikely to be competitive, but boy is it fun when it works.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    T E M P O P E T I T I O N E R S

I ate an engineer
  • FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I just had a game end in a draw. I think this is what happened: I was against a mill deck and was almost out of cards. I had Ral's emblem up (whenever you cast an instant or sorcery you deal 4 damage and draw 2 cards) and cast a sorcery. The 4 damage from Ral's emblem killed my opponent but I didn't have the 2 cards left to draw in my library :)

That's the first time I've had a game end in a draw like that.

Fiskebent on
    steam_sig.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    How does Petitioners work with the wildcard system?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    I think if you have 4 copies of it you have functionally infinite copies of it? Or at least that's what I remember hearing about the rats version

Rend wrote: »
    I think if you have 4 copies of it you have functionally infinite copies of it? Or at least that's what I remember hearing about the rats version

Correct, once you have 4 you can add as many as you want after that.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-standard-constructed-league-2019-01-21

5-0 decks from the new standard! I just got a 4th copy of Judith from my gold booster today so I'll probably be making one of those decks

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The one person brave enough to play an all-in Birthing Mom deck in a format full of aggro and removal is my hero.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Pod Bae might not be good now, but they will print pod chains and she will rise up. The Pod Dream will be real

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Gate Breaker Ram is so fucking strong if you have the gates for it.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

it's quite an edge case, but in my last draft I was able to blow out my opponent multiple times with the Ram, using Growth Spiral as a combat trick.

other than weird stuff like that, the fact that it can come down as a 4/4 trample vigilance on turn 3 is damn tasty.

KalTorak wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »

it's quite an edge case, but in my last draft I was able to blow out my opponent multiple times with the Ram, using Growth Spiral as a combat trick.

other than weird stuff like that, the fact that it can come down as a 4/4 trample vigilance on turn 3 is damn tasty.

Using Growth Spiral as a combat trick is awesome! There are so many synergies that I did not see coming where you can get a ton of edge out of cards that don't appear quite as amazing as they are on face value. The combat trick where you put down a +1/+1 counter has allowed me to do some ridiculous blow outs just given how much this set cares about counters.

There is just a ton of nasty stuff you can do at instant speed in this set.

B/W opponent rolls out Ajani's Welcomes and Fountain of Renewals every turn starting on turn one until he has a full play set of each.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    B/W opponent rolls out Ajani's Welcomes and Fountain of Renewals every turn starting on turn one until he has a full play set of each.

This is what happens when RDW gets too strong.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I'm playing a Gates deck, 9-0 today. Worst matchup is against heavy control but I haven't played too many of those recently.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    You know, I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the unlockable starter decks.

I really enjoy the RB sacrifice engine deck and this GW Auras one is also enjoyable.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Aegis wrote: »
    You know, I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the unlockable starter decks.

I really enjoy the RB sacrifice engine deck and this GW Auras one is also enjoyable.

Yeah I started playing this about 2 weeks ago and they're surprisingly generous with the cards, compared to most digital CCGs

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    So with Allegiance, it so far looks like the meta has shifted to either heavy control or quick burn. Maybe that will change but not having a great time playing against these decks.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So with Allegiance, it so far looks like the meta has shifted to either heavy control or quick burn. Maybe that will change but not having a great time playing against these decks.

That's generally how a new meta works unless there's a blatantly obvious midrange deck. Midrange decks play against the meta whereas control and aggro establish their game plan up front and then adjust against the meta.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    If there wasn't so much RDW everyone would be playing greedy jank and midrange would be impossible. Since there are so many face decks right now to exploit the greedy decks, midrange is actually in a pretty good spot. Most of the greedy decks are jank brews that are also bad, so you can still steal wins there too. I decided to dust off my unchanged Bo1 golgari and play on the ladder for a bit and went from plat 3 to diamond this morning.

But going back to the same deck I played all last expansion makes me a sad panda.

furbat on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    drafted the jankiest Gruul deck but I also picked 4 shocklands and 2 rakdos constructed rares so I feel like I'd be happy with 3 wins here.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Nexus is just a bad card and should go away

You know what's cool? Kaya's Wrath when your opponent has played the last creature out of their hand.

You know what's cooler than that? Using a Good Doggo to make my Gateway Sneak indestructible, then Kaya's Wrathing.

Duneblast is supposed to cost seven mana, not five.

And yes I see the irony there

I played against a Vannifar recursion deck earlier that was v silly

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I dipped my toe back into Constructed Event after 2 months off it....infested with aggro (as expected, admittedly). Somehow went 6-3 with a Gruul smash deck that Merchant was running -
    2 Etali, Primal Storm (RIX) 100
    9 Mountain (RIX) 195
    4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
    10 Forest (RIX) 196
    4 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
    2 Vivien Reid (M19) 208
    3 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
    4 Rekindling Phoenix (RIX) 111
    4 Regisaur Alpha (XLN) 227
    2 Sunder Shaman (RNA) 210
    4 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
    3 Cindervines (RNA) 161
    4 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
    4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
    1 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
    I barely made it, though. One win was a come from behind with me on 1 life for four turns.

Cindervines was a champ, though, in unranked, ripping apart a poor Nexus deck.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    When he just can't stop laughing at the end

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg