As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeon World] Glamjin’s Tower of Glory

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
edited March 2019 in Critical Failures
You wake with a jolt.

First all you see is the damp fog you drag yourself up through, then… floating above you are the stands of a colosseum. The audience dawns on you slowly, first invisible, then a panoramic wall of vibrancy, of unstoppable noise.

Demons jostle and jeer. Devils lounge and peer through opera glasses. Golden beasts and scarred titans howl and snap. Figures that you suppose are angels weep from molten eyes. Skeletal giants draped in midnight sit motionless, spirits orbiting their crowns like silvery moons. Things with unknowable shapes cling to their seats, and each other, with amorphous dripping proto-limbs. Between them all beautiful fairies titter and dance, rousing the crowd for their eonic entertainment.

A singular voice cuts through the noise, and at once you are here in a plain stone room with an extraordinarily extravagant individual.

“Well hello you rambunctious rascals.”, the fae being declares, “I bet you can’t wait for what happens next…”

“But I’m getting ahead of myself. I’m Glamjin, the Prince of Portals, the Lord of Adventure, the Maestro of Epitaphs, and you lucky loves are set to traverse the Tower of Glory for the fabulous prize that awaits you at the top!”

Vanishing, reappearing, costume change, Glamjin is concealed in the shadows of a doorway up ahead.

“You’re not the only party of champions within these walls, and there can only be one winning team. So look lively! Get to the top before you get the chop!”, Glamjin winks, to the crowd you suppose, then grins, “Let the games begin!”

You look side to side. Who are these people? Who is that—A dramatic flourish. Glamjin is gone. Well then.

What do you do?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqgW-2orQQg
Though first, let’s get session zero going.

What is this?
This is Glamjin’s Tower of Glory, a play by post roleplaying campaign using good old Dungeon World as its system. It’s intended to be quite short.

I know nothing. Nothing I tell you.
Well here’s some links:
The game itself, more or less. Enough for a player at least across these sites.
http://www.dungeon-world.com
https://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/character-creation/
https://roll20.net/compendium/dw/BookIndex

Out of date, but I made up some races for use with DW years back. It’ll give you ideas.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R07KgGsjvv7QWphbVabSEV4H2xNGPw4WSiTj7XetUps

Compendium Classes are little add-ons you can get during the game, for example purposes here’s some I made:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwNeN70-R-VROFpPYzNJVUFscU0

How many players do you want?
Just four please.

What’s it about?
The heroes of the tale have been transported from their separate worlds to face the challenges of a mysterious and hazardous tower for the amusement of Glamjin. Think Guardians of the Galaxy or something in terms of “weird group of people from all over that must work together”.

What level are we starting at?
Level one!

Any restrictions?
You can choose any class, even third party ones, so long as it doesn’t have obnoxiously high damage output. As for things like race or alignment, together we can come up with something fitting; you need not be one of the races written into your character sheet.
Second, traditionally in Dungeon World the party begin play with “bonds”—a little sentence like “Joey always has my back”. Forget that, we’ll add them as we go.
Last thing, ignore experience related stuff. The party is going to level up together with every floor of the tower they beat.

How often should I post
Ideally once per day. If you take a break of over two days and the rest of the party can progress to the next room they simply will, and your character will just chill in the background.

Can I be a turtle-man ninja?
Yes.

Now here are my questions for you:

What were you up to before you were punt through a portal to wherever this place is?

Just who are you, anyways?

If you wish to play, begin making a character now. This is not an in-character thread until all players are present and happy with their character. Any questions just ask.

Once we’ve gathered the party this will be an in-character only thread. I’m sure we can all message each other by a dozen means for anything else we want to chat about.

Session zero track:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ewFBuYHldeY

Endless_Serpents on

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    ~*Dramatic Personae*~
    The Host
    Glamjin, Glamourous & Glamoured

The Heroes
    Pomme Desmerais, the Mousefolk Noble Ranger & Fleur (GFM)
    Holly Pontoon, the Greatest Arcane Duellist that Ever Lived
    Bran Volgut, the Completely Common Thief
    Gisard, the Lizard Wizard

Denizens of the Tower
    Hao-Gou, the divine stone shishi
    Eliza, the vampire master

Outside Forces
    Pythagon

I never really use this, did I?

Endless_Serpents on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I'm in!

As discussed, I'll probably be playing Pomme, a Mousefolk Fencer with a Giant Fuzzy Falconry Moth (or GFFM) named Fleur. (This is actually a reskinned human or elf Ranger)

Still need to actually build my character but it doesn't seem like that should take that long

edited January 2019
    Nice!

A ranger is a good solid all-rounder.

We still need more heroes! Anyone up to play?

Endless_Serpents on
    Come on everyone! If the thought of David Bowie from labyrinth juggling with your fate doesn't excite you, then something is seriously wrong with you

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I think I'd like to try my hand again in a DW game. Give me a few hours to cook up a character.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    mqnnrpdpkw13.jpeg

Marvellous.

In the meantime, what sort of world did Pomme come from? How did they fit in it?
    @Wassermelone

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Holly Pontoon, the Greatest Arcane Duellist that Ever Lived

spi67ytmdmmm.jpg

Looks:
    Hollow eyes
    No hair
    Cracked leathers
    Boney body

Race: Skeleton (de-skinned Human)

Level: 5

Stats:
    Str 9 +0
    Dex 13 +1
    Con 8 -1
    Int 18 +3
    Wis 13 +1
    Cha 16 +2

Moves: Know Your Enemy; Funny Bones*; Multiclass Dabbler (Burns Twice as Bright/Burns Half as Long)**; Flawless Bladework

HP: 1/16

Techniques:
    Torrential
    Quicksilver
    Elaborate
    Soul-Siphoning

Gear (Load 8/9):
    Sweet eleanor (Close, precise, holybane, 1 piercing, 1 weight.)
    The Mortal Blade of Holly Pontoon (fairy-bane, magnetic, 0 weight)
    Rapier
    Duelist's leathers (1 armour)
    Adventuring gear(1/5)
    Sprite's Kiss (instead of last breath, get reduced to 1hp)
    [Konomi no Buki
    close/reach/near, 2 weight

When you hold the Konomi no Buki high above your head and let out a terrible warcry, roll +Cha.
    First, decide if it is a close, reach or near weapon. As a near weapon it requires no ammo.
    On a 10+, choose 3.
    On a 7-9, choose 2.
    - +1 damage.
    - 2 piercing.
    - +1 armour.
    - precise, -1 weight.
    - It is two separate weapons. Reroll damage and take the highest result.
    - two-handed, forceful, messy, +1 weight. It sends them reeling and leaves lasting wounds.
    On a 6-, still choose 2, but it also has the clumsy tag. You’re no good with this one.

The only limit to how you describe your weapon’s form is:
    - It can’t be concealed.
    - It must be rigid, so no whips or flails.]
    [Fa'Amin’s Key
    1 charge, 2 weight
    A long, thin key of carved ivory that weighs as much as a longsword.

When you press the key against a surface and turn it, it opens in a most grandiose way. A sturdy corridor will be made from your position to the other side, no matter the distance. If you angle it, a staircase will ascend or descend to the other side.

The key can be recharged by dedicating a soul to it, then killing that creature.]

*Funny Bones
    You can detach and reattach a limb, or your skull, and have it act independently of you. Detached parts don’t take damage, instead they go dormant until you reattach them. Additionally, you cannot be held captive by mundane shackles, ropes or prison bars.

**Burns Twice as Bright
    When you channel the flames of fate, you may treat a missed roll as a 7-9 or a 7-9 result as a 10+. This may be a roll you or another character has made. Tell the GM something you’ve lost; an emotion, a memory or some innate piece of your being. You may not use this move again until you’ve used Burns Half As Long.

Burns Half as Long
    You gain this move when you gain Burns Twice as Bright.

When you sacrifice a victory to the flames of fate, treat any roll of 10+ as a miss

Prior to getting pulled through a portal, Holly was peacefully decomposing having died 10 years earlier in a horse-riding accident. Clearly when Glamjin wove the summoning spells, "the greatest duelist the ever lived" was a little too specific.

Holly was a prodigy in her time, notorious for her pride as much as her skill. Certainly her masters would see this rude awakening as a valuable lesson, though she'll probably be more distraught at the loss of all her cool tattoos.

Theme:
    h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eitwfK8CoYU
    FUTURE IS GONE

Grog on
    edited January 2019
    Ah yes, good, very good. We are swashing and buckling already.

@Grog when you hear the word “monster” what sort of creature do you imagine first?

Endless_Serpents on
    Bran Volgut, the completely common thief

tcNuiwi.png

Character Sheet

Before being pulled into a portal, Bran vaguely remembers drinking entirely too much at a particularly seedy tavern, and then subsequently blacking out.

Bran is, if anything, the most innocuous thief you've ever met. Plain as day to look at, wouldn't stick out in a crowd if you knew him, and is never one to rouse suspicion. He's decent enough at his craft, at least to keep himself in room, board, and drinks while keeping himself largely out of the worst trouble. He never aspired to greatness, or notoriety; the notion that otherworldly powers have hand picked him for this event make him uneasy.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Serpent’s Tears is the poison of choice for the genteel rogue. Good work. I’m a fan of everyone’s character so far!

@Nips
    What magical item would you really love to find?

I’m after one more comrade to round out this fellowship of the win, but would everyone be okay with starting our first session on Wednesday regardless? No set time, I doubt we’re in the same timezone, though on my end I’ll make my introduction at 1030 GMT.

Oh, let's say a Tricksy Rope.

when you hear the word “monster” what sort of creature do you imagine first?

Worms. Big ones, small ones, some as a big as a house. Seem to have been having lots of nightmares about them recently.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I'll give this a try, you're gonna need to hold my hand through learning Dungeon World though.

Gisard the Lizard Wizard

Race: Lizardman
    Alignment: Neutral
    Snake eyes, pointy hat, worn robes, scaly body
    STR 12 (+1)
    DEX 9 (-1)
    CON 15 (+1)
    INT 16 (+2)
    WIS 13 (+1)
    CHA 8 (-1)

HP 19
    Damage d4

not sure how picking spells works just from looking at the linked sites. Do I pick a certain number of cantrips and 3 level 1 spells or something like that? Also there's a racial trait I guess where I get the spell "Dragonfire?"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited January 2019
    You’ve got all them cantrips, just big handfuls of cantrip. The only cantrips for wizards are Light, Unseen Servant and Prestidigitation. Pull them out whenever to do simple wizardy things like light your pipe without touching it and making your hat blue.

Then pick 3 level 1 spells.

Oh! Sure, you can have that spell. So that’s one extra spell. No big deal, you only need to be balanced against the creatures I throw at you.

Edit: Keep at it guys, I’ll give your sheets a once over tomorrow if you’re stuck.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited January 2019
    I was pulling the lizardman race from that list of custom races in the OP, under wizard it had that as a race trait like:

Wizard
    You have studied the ways of the dragon. You gain the spell Dragonfire:
    Level 1 Evocation
    You breathe out colourful flames, inflict 1d4+your character level of damage, which ignores armor.

I'm not married to that or anything though.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited January 2019
    Haha I made that! I just forget it was on it. No worries.

It should read:
    Wizard
    You have studied the ways of the dragon. You gain the spell Dragonfire:
    Level 1 Evocation
    You breathe out colourful flames. Inflict 1d4+your character level in damage, which ignores armor.
    Just to be technical about it. So 1d4+1 for now.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited February 2019
    Pomme Desmerais - Mousefolk Ranger and their Greater Falconry Moth, Fleur

cqaw1yvguz35.png
    Race: Mousefolk (Human)

Alignment: Good

Appearance: Velvety nose, Naive, Well trimmed clothing, Nervous energy

Stats:
    Str 8 -1
    Dex 16 +2
    Con 9 +0
    Int 13 +1
    Wis 15 +1
    Cha 12 +0

HP: 17

Gear:
    Flintlock Rifle (Hunters Bow)
    Spear
    Adventuring gear
    3 ammo

Fleur:
    Ferocity: 2, Adaptable, Camoflauge
    Cunning 2, Scout, Hunt
    Armour 0
    Instinct 1, Stubborn

Before getting wrenched through the portal, Pomme and Fleur were scouting far ahead of the Grand Armee. Pomme probably shouldn't have been there - Pomme was a freshly commissioned officer and, because of their knowledge of letters, little better than a clerk. But they had creatively misinterpreted a command and had thrown himself into the rigeurs of the forest. They were far more at home here and it was maybe just probably worth the latrines Pomme might have to dig later. That was when they came across the abandoned cart piled with supplies. A good find. Also very suspicious. After a quite nervous look around, some waiting, watching, and more nervous inspection from a far, Pomme approached. And thats when they saw the note ~ 'BEHIND YOU!'. The cart shimmered like the heat of summer on a wheat field.

Pomme spun wildly, raising their flintlock only to see a sparkling rainbow scroll of ornate script 'Haha! Got you!' before there was a wrenching sound and a screeching sensation and everything went black.

@Endless_Serpents
    I'm thinking of Pomme's world as loosely similar to Napoleonic France. Pomme is a country noble more at home in the woods than the capital Tambour

Wassermelone on
    edited January 2019
    Ok I think this looks right:
    9vvj9r914oee.jpg

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CT586DbmhcRb-8BjFzQxajIXXSYpRn5APd_yRd7mXLc/edit?usp=sharing

A junior research assistant in the anthropology department of the Arcane University of Ssardak in the Jormungand Empire, Gisard had been sent with an archaeological expedition to a recently discovered underground ruin in the jungles to the east. After some months, the laborers finally cleared the rubble from the passage to the central chamber. The professor leading the expedition poked his scaly head inside, took one look at the magical runes glowing across the floor, walls and ceiling, the ominous scale-bound tome bobbing gently in midair in the center of the room, and the still-smouldering corpse of the laborer who had been unlucky enough to be the first to try to enter... and cheerfully declared he would allow Gisard the honor of being the first to examine it.

"No, no, you dessserve it after all your hard work, I have full confidenssse you will be able to overcome any trapsss or safeguardsss that have been cassst upon this artifact! Yes, I'm afraid we're on a bit of a tight ssschedule, so let'sss get moving shall we? Depending on what'sss in this book, we might even begin to consssider discussssing recommending one's assistantsss for future tenured positionsss!"

WIth a deep sigh, Gisard began carefully picking his way between magical traps, slowly making his way over to the floating tome. Finally reaching the center of the room, and detecting no discernible hostile enchantments upon the tome itself, he opened the cover...

'You'll Do'? What kind of a title is...

Suddenly Gisard realized he was falling, down through a star-filled abyss as he watched the chamber rapidly stretch away into a point of light above him, faint shouts of surprise from the other expedition members fading away, echoing and distorted. He blacked out.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited January 2019
    I could not have asked for finer characters!

We will begin the first session tomorrow at 1030 GMT. You need only post once per day, but if we get into a flow I can see us burning through the first floor pretty quick!

After that the game will continue daily (to the best of our ability) until it comes to a finish. Don’t worry if you miss a day or two!

I’m going to be fairly transparent about monster abilities, providing stat blocks for all but the most potent foes. This is to allow you to write the killing blow into your post or take out a couple of them at a time if you know you’ve reduced them to 0 HP.

Last question from me:

@BahamutZERO
    Every student of magic has read up on the myths surrounding the drowned heretic nation of Hisst. Who’s your favourite Forbidden God of the Sunken Island? This does not make you religious, it’s purely theoretical.

@Wassermelone
    Legends tell of a enemy so foul that all the people’s of every kingdom will one day join forces to defeat them. Who are they, and what profane weapons will they wield?

@Nips
    From what you remember from when you were little, there’s this story that the first thief invented a language just for thieves. Every thief uses it, or well, they’re not much of a thief otherwise. What little phrase or gesture let’s you know someone is a thief?

@Grog
    You were contacted. Outside time, in between the space where you were dead and you were here in this room with these strangers. It was quick, a passing shout. What spoke to you, and what did they say?

Endless_Serpents on
    You were contacted. Outside time, in between the space where you were dead and you were here in this room with these strangers. It was quick, a passing shout. What spoke to you, and what did they say?

It was hard to make out over the buzzing of flies and the screams of the damned, but Holly's pretty certain it was a demon spraying their morning coffee in surprise at her passing then hollering something about their employee of the month award.

Legends tell of a enemy so foul that all the people’s of every kingdom will one day join forces to defeat them. Who are they, and what profane weapons will they wield?

The Vast Stomatic Owl, Hibougr, and their endless undead post digested hordes who will silently come from the sky and attempt to swallow the world. Most people believe this merely a myth in this more enlightened age but every disappearance at the edge of civilization is quietly thought of as the work of Hibougr the Still Devourer. The most horrifying of Hibougr's supposed legions (as if hordes of skeletal rodentfolk were not enough) are the massive abominable Pellet Golems.

From what you remember from when you were little, there’s this story that the first thief invented a language just for thieves. Every thief uses it, or well, they’re not much of a thief otherwise. What little phrase or gesture let’s you know someone is a thief?

Back in his home city anyone running the gutters knows to keep a sharp knife on hand; nothing so extravagant as even a dagger, something small and concealable. This is because it is told that the first Raconteurs Guild master, Halden Fa'Amin, revived and spread knowledge among the thieves of a long lost form of communication: bone scrivening.

The materials aren't nearly as gory nor important as an outsider might think; something as simple as the thigh-bone from one's evening meal of roast chicken would suffice. Given a few surreptitious notches and scribed lines at key points on the bone using a sharp blade, a knowledgeable rogue could convey a wealth of information. And left in the right location, someplace only a fellow thief would look, an entire lane of underworld communication opens up.

Was Fa'Amin a madman, a foul necromancer furthering an inscrutable agenda, or a genius? None could say, but his methods proliferated and found widespread use in the thieving community.

Every student of magic has read up on the myths surrounding the drowned heretic nation of Hisst. Who’s your favourite Forbidden God of the Sunken Island? This does not make you religious, it’s purely theoretical.

Pythagon, "the Snake of Too Many Angles Who Entangles the World," is certainly Gisard's favorite of the famous (among anthropology circles) so-called "forbidden fifteen plus one" known deities of the hypothetical ancient civilization of Hisst. Fragmentary tablets recovered from possible Hisst sites occasionally recount legends of their weird and terrible gods, such as one that claimed most who glimpsed part of Pythagon's true form were instantly driven stark raving mad by revelations about the nature of reality, but a few gained strange powers to warp space and merely went a little bit mad. In all likelyhood their priests were just hitting the lotus oil a bit too hard, but it certainly makes for a fun story.

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited January 2019
    Glittering dust gently descends where Glamjin stood, briefly illuminating the doorway ahead before fading away.

The room you’re in is bare stonework, wall to floor. Three of the walls have torches mounted on them, each freshly lit.

There is a single passage to the south. The stone here is rougher, a deep red, and damp. The floor is moss coated tiles. The passage ends with a dozen small steps.

When you make your way out into the adjacent room you’ll find the architecture of the same kind as the passage. There are four weathered pillars near the middle. A heavy stone door is to the south, shut fast.

But what’ll catch your eye is some... device. A nine foot tall bronze thingy with a big mirror on it, which is elevated a little from the floor by a semicircular track.

The Rough Red Room
    ufxe80cp6b4w.jpeg

axg85wptea4t.jpeg

Besides your surroundings, get this:
    You’ve been stolen away across countless dimensions and just told you’ve got to get to the top of this tower.
    You’ve never seen anyone like the people stood next to you (strangely you’re all speaking the same language).
    You have no idea what you’re about to face.

What do you do?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uVeOWUu8LyA&list=PL8Lpw39GxwbOvqF8pFE2WghQDeGvjL_mz&index=1

Endless_Serpents on
    Bran Volgut | Neutral Human Thief | 21/21 HP | Damage d8

Bran wakes up with a start. Blacking out never suited him much, and it was rare for him to consume to such excess that complete unconsciousness was the end result. Even still, as he shook his head and rose to his feet, he knew that something wasn't quite right; no matter who you crossed in the city, drugging and dumping someone into a dungeon was never really a thing. At least, as far as he'd ever heard.

And then, seeing his companions, he knew something wasn't right. Lizard....man. Mouse...man. And...a corpse? Bran knew, instinctively, that these were his companions. Even still, he knew in the back of his mind that people like this simply didn't exist. At least, not where he was from.

Taking the brief moment before their rousing, Bran's instincts kick in; surveying the area cautiously first was always his best bet. First, slowly down the hall, and then into the second chamber.

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for TRAP EXPERT (DEX)
    In order, spending however much hold as I get:
    Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?
    What does the trap do when activate?
    What else is hidden here?

TRAP EXPERT (DEX):
    2d6+2 10 [2d6=6, 2]

edited January 2019
    "I'm not sure tenure is worth thisss. I sssuppose there's nothing for it but to work together, even if you are mammalsss. And a... skeleton? Curiousss." Gisard checks his belongings are all still on him while letting the hooded human take point, it seems to have some confidence in itself.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited January 2019
    That door, Bran, is trapped. It’s just obvious. It’s a big slab of rock with indents up either side, so you reckon it lifts up or drops rather than opens like a regular door.

There’s a keyhole in the middle of it, but that’s just a ruse. Tampering with it sets off the trap—there’s no key for this door. It’ll be... hmm, a mechanism that does it. A lever to pull, a chain to ease off, something like that.

So then, what is it? No marks around, no old blood. A gas perhaps? That’ll be it you think. Something quiet, quick and fatal. Something... that maybe moss breaths. Ha! You should have been an alchemist, you’re that bright some times.

You can’t see anything hidden just yet, but after a tentative poke it looks like that contraption with the mirror moves smoothly on its tracks. This’ll have a purpose, this is a game for that flash looking fop, so there’s a way out yet.

Endless_Serpents on
    "A skeleton? Where?!" Holly whirls around, gloved hand on her weapon. Spooked, she follows the thief then suddenly points at the strange contraption. "Wait, I know what that is! It's..."

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for spout Lore

spout Lore:
    2d6+2 13 [2d6=6, 5]

edited January 2019
    “a Malaranio Mirror! It shows what the owner wants you to see, not what is actually reflected. They’re outlawed these days but used to be all the rage with the social elite. Unfortunately too many folk became obsessed with them, having them enchanted to show the onlooker as some perfect version of themselves. They say one chap stared at one until he died!”

You’ve already briefly stepped in front of it Bran. You looked like you always do, and you’re pretty sure there was nothing out of the ordinary otherwise.

Endless_Serpents on
    Holly angles the mirror experimentally, sweeping it around the room to scrutinise the pillars and the door (and, surreptitiously, her comrades).

edited January 2019
    The mirror shows you are a skeleton, Holly.
    fzol0q4h3qfd.jpeg

What’s that all about? Haha, right?

Everyone else is reflected as they should be; though the mouse fellow has yet to make a move, so you can’t account for them.

As you angle the mirror towards the south-eastern pillar it’s reflection is of thick black shadows dancing out from the pillar with an orange glow behind it. The image of the skeleton—you—looks frightful in the illusionary shadow. Turning to the real pillar you see nothing there, just the pillar in the dim atmosphere of the room.

Pomme, your ears twitch. For a second you swear you hear muffled footsteps to the east. A neighbouring room then? And people have left it?

Endless_Serpents on
    Its like the start of a bad joke. A lizard (Not historically friends of rodentia), an unsavory looking ..monkey!? (Pomme had seen specimen drawings of furry monkeys from the jungles but nothing quite so hairless), an unholy skeletal abomination (Pomme fervently makes the sign of the Thorn on their chest), and... Pomme. When Pomme's eyes meets the horrifying skeletal being's visage in the mirror, Pomme looks away rapidly. No one has made any threatening motions towards anyone else but Pomme desperately doesn't want to be the punchline.

As Pomme hears the noise, they start out of their bewilderment, and quietly scamper over to the wall and puts an ear up to it. Pomme motions Fleur onto the wall as she might be better able to hear/feel any vibrations

Holly starts for a moment, before looking upward and wagging a finger. "Hah, you're tricky I'll grant you that- only changing the reflection of one of us!"

You don’t hear much more Pomme, nor Fleur.

You think a set of the footsteps were the clank of iron, while at least two others were the dull tap of ordinary boots on stone.

It’d be a fair guess to say another party was transported here, but you can’t say what direction their starting point heads. Not south, not towards, but away from your position.

You and your companion appear as you are in the mirror, too.

edited January 2019
    Bran Volgut | Neutral Human Thief | 21/21 HP | Damage d8

Bran takes in his companions in a bit more detail, now that they're up and about. Though their countenances are strange, he knows in the back of his mind that he'll need to work with them. Even though one of them is literally a walking, talking skeleton. He clears his throat loudly enough to attract his compatriots' attention, and points at the skeleton.

"You said something about the mirror showing us what the owner wants us to see. Did you see anything while moving it around? Something out of place in its reflection? Also, everyone should stay clear of that stone door to the south; it's trapped, and I'd prefer not to visit the grim dark because one of you got curious. I'm reasonably competent in finding mechanisms that might kill us, so there's that.

And the name is Bran, by the way."

Nips on
    edited January 2019
    "Holly Pontoon, charmed I'm sure." She gives a mock curtsy then gestures toward the south-eastern pillar and explains what she saw in the reflection.

She inclines her skull toward the lizard, who seems the most wizardly of them "It could be some kind of portal onwards- perhaps you could give it a once over with your arcane senses?"

[OOC: Feel free to assume that I've shared any important info like this (provided it's possible to share in fiction)]

Grog on
    edited January 2019
    "I...

"I'm Pomme and.. and this is Fleur"

"I think people or things in the next room already left? That fancy man said we are racing?"

Pomme looks over at the pillar Holly gestured towards, still not wanting to look too closely at Holly herself. The pillar doesn't look wierd does it? Pomme spends some time staring at it, feeling foolish but taking the time nonetheless.

Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Discern Realities
    What here is not what it appears to be?
    What should I be on the lookout for?
    What here is useful or valuable to me?

OOC: Is that how that works?

Discern Realities:
    2d6+1 9 [2d6=5, 3]

Wassermelone on
    edited January 2019
    So Pomme, you think, that pillar looks normal. But in the mirror it had thick shadows coming off it and an orange glow behind it...

What here is useful or valuable to me?
    ...Torches! Lit ones! Three of them back in that first room.

OOC: On a roll of 9 with that move you can only ask one question. You always get +1 to a roll when you’re acting on the answers, should you need to roll. For the sake of a hint I’ve nicked your choice of question, but I’ll not do that again.

Endless_Serpents on
    "Hrmm. You may call me Gisard. I suppose I should be grateful I seem to receive so many opportunitiesss to use my degree. Let's ssssee..." Gisard waves his claws about magically and mumbles some words of power as he casts Detect Magic, focusing his attention first towards the strange pillar and then towards the mirror and the rest of the room.

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Cast a Spell

(OOC I think I got the trick already but only based on the information that occurred to Pomme, so Gisard hasn't figured it out)

Cast a Spell:
    2d6+2 5 [2d6=1, 2]

BahamutZERO.gif
    yeah that's right I spent 8 years in wizard college to get rolls like that

BahamutZERO.gif