As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Clearly the reincarnation of Yellow Thirteen.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Clearly the reincarnation of Yellow Thirteen.

Old Yeller 13

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    h8p0uolw22dy.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The Vector Thrust frame is about 10x funnier than it should be.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Zero needs something about how stupid the final mission is (also now I'm thinking it's vaguely "Souls-like").

Amazon sent me by preorder bonus. Crisis averted. My Hori HOTAS is coming on via UPS so...should be pretty fast? Hopefully it wasn't a mistake.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Mission 9 officially sucks. I've pretty much beaten it then died.

I think I need to take more time looking at routes. I seem to come out of cloud cover near radar station #3 and there isn't anything to go back and hide in. The wind on the final station sucks, I kept getting pulled up. 3 times so far and I just make it to the end.

Lol and I wasn't even halfway done. Finished it.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • ErrorError Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Amazon sent me by preorder bonus. Crisis averted. My Hori HOTAS is coming on via UPS so...should be pretty fast? Hopefully it wasn't a mistake.

Narrator: "It wasn't."

Error wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Narrator: "It wasn't."

We all need more narration in our life.

Even if I end up not keeping it, I'll be sure to share my findings (which should be applicable to the PS4 model too).

I have this Flightstick
    thrustmaster-t-flight-hotas-4-joystick-_8_.jpg

And for the most part I like it. If I was listing negatives it would be that I wish it was the base was heavier, and there's a slight hitch in the middle of the throttle. It takes some getting used to but I think the hitch is neutral thrust (not hitting the brake or afterburner) so I need to practice leaving it there. The Flightstick menu doesn't tell you that you can use the twisting motion of the joystick to yaw, but you totally can.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I had the exact same model, though for PS3. I ended up selling it when I got my original Logitech G940, I think (which I in-turn replaced with a Saitek X-55 and then an X-56 when that one broke).

It's actually very serviceable, and sort of regretted it because I lost a good legacy USB HOTAS--but it wasn't anywhere as good as the other HOTAS setups, obviously.

I'm hoping Hori's device similar from a PC standpoint.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    There keeps being a bunch of "attack lots of ground target" missions so I keep using the A-10 with the good ground missiles. These cut scenes with everyone flying super rad air fighters and then me in the butt ugly A-10 is hilarious.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

The A-10 was always one of my fav's growing up. I grabbed it because it's cheap, but man it's hard to use haha. Thought it would have more defense.

1 million away from the F-22. So close!

The lack of an Su-25 is a little bit of a bummer, but the "Fullback" is probably an acceptable replacement.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    There keeps being a bunch of "attack lots of ground target" missions so I keep using the A-10 with the good ground missiles. These cut scenes with everyone flying super rad air fighters and then me in the butt ugly A-10 is hilarious.

You take that back right now!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Someone said that this game was like Metal Gear Solid but with planes and I can't think of a better explanation for anything ever.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    I'm still in the early tree because I just want to unlock ALL the planes

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Getting a bit better at MP. Was trying the railgun but its too finicky with a controller. Feels like theres a quick U-turn option i’m not getting. Other wise sub 2250, burst missiles or 8x missiles work well.

F-15 with lasers or bust for me.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

You take that back right now!

It is ugly, but super endearingly so.

Like a warthog.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Getting a bit better at MP. Was trying the railgun but its too finicky with a controller. Feels like theres a quick U-turn option i’m not getting. Other wise sub 2250, burst missiles or 8x missiles work well.

Hold brake and accelerate at the same time.

Edit: oh, and turn.

LD50 on
    Yeah i do that. Might just be lag, but seems like folks just flip on a dime.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    The briefing just mentioned a place called “Bulgardarest.” That’s right up there with Mihaly’s full name. Although the latter would’ve been funnier if it hadn’t been spoiled by the subtitles. The narrator would’ve just kept talking, and at some point, I would’ve pissed myself.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    F-15 with lasers or bust for me.

F-15C with lasers. Not too fond of the laser the Strike Eagle gets.

• BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Someone said that this game was like Metal Gear Solid but with planes and I can't think of a better explanation for anything ever.

If that means "Fantastic gameplay and graphics, with a story that was scripted and executed as if it was developed by aliens from another planet. A planet where intonation, expression and dialect are foreign concepts." Then yes, that is an accurate description!

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Boogdud wrote: »

If that means "Fantastic gameplay and graphics, with a story that was scripted and executed as if it was developed by aliens from another planet. A planet where intonation, expression and dialect are foreign concepts." Then yes, that is an accurate description!

Metal Gear!?

Oh, you bet.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Is there a mod in the tech tree that gives you more flares/chaff? I feel its a little ridiculous how little there is.

Starting to run into folks with MP upgrades. Had a missile follow me through multiple twists and turns. Must have the special missile gear.

So what do you need for the PSVR missions? Just the headset and camera? Never used PSVR before but got one for Christmas.

I'm pretty sure they didn't mean it in the "Crotch grabbing and unexpected nudity" context.

edited January 2019
    So what do you need for the PSVR missions? Just the headset and camera? Never used PSVR before but got one for Christmas.

Correct. You don't need the Move wands.

Though I feel that the devs are missing out on bonus content, could use the wands to direct aircraft on the runway.

Error on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Error wrote: »

Correct. You don't need the Move wands.

Though I feel that the devs are missing out on bonus content, could use the wands to direct aircraft on the runway.

Nah, they should do surgeon simulator style aircraft cockpit controls.

Mission 7 strategy question
    Is there a way to avoid getting hit by lightning? Is there a safe zone/altitude I'm supposed to stick to?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Mission 7 strategy question
    Is there a way to avoid getting hit by lightning? Is there a safe zone/altitude I'm supposed to stick to?

Not that I know of. It didn't effect me too badly though.

edited January 2019
    Maaaaaaan I flew through the tunnel is Mission 6 and got the audio cue but I didn't see the Ace spawn

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    The multi in this game is complete unadulterated bullshit. The power difference between even the higher end planes and the uber ones is so vast that shouldn't even be allowed in a normal match. You are so outgunned it's not even worth trying, you literally can't hit them. It's awful.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The multi in this game is complete unadulterated bullshit. The power difference between even the higher end planes and the uber ones is so vast that shouldn't even be allowed in a normal match. You are so outgunned it's not even worth trying, you literally can't hit them. It's awful.

AC6's MP was pretty trash too. If you spent the money on an Idolmaster F-117a you could just lazily do circles dodging everything while vomiting QAAMs at everyone thanks to having a huge payload of them.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    So just like real life then. :P

I wish they had included PVE modes for Multiplayer because I don't really care for PVP

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Tips for MP:

1) Set the points to limit the "uber" planes. Playing on 2000 is a good start. 2250 lets the mid tier planes in.

2) Go for QAAM or SASM missiles. If you're good at aiming, then the railgun works as well. SASM are the most forgiving as they do minor damage if they get close.

3) Choose team games over battle royale. Generally someone on your team will get some kills so you'll get some MRP.

4) Investing in the MP upgrades will help. They are twice as strong as the SP versions. Getting the better homing for QAAM will allow your missiles to make 180 degree turns lol.

Since Amazon screwed up my pre-order, I don't have the F-4e to play with. But I've had decent success with the F-15 Eagle (it's fast and can take some hits, you can only load 1 upgrade to fit under 2000). I'm also trying out the Gripen E, now that I have 3-4 lvl 2 upgrades, as it'll let me load more on.

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I wish they had included PVE modes for Multiplayer because I don't really care for PVP

Co-op would have been amazing.