As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Our driveway is short so I'm not bothering with a snowblower.

I figure I'll change my mind sometime next month.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    yeah mine is about 60 feet long but I only use like 15-20 feet of it

the last 2 feet where the plow packed the snow killed me

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    My driveway is the exact length of my car and there isn't anywhere to blow the snow anyway. I usually scoop up a shovelful, walk up my driveway with it and toss it over my fence. My street really isn't snow compatible but it snows anyway. Rude.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    My first winter we had a 6 month old and all the snowblowers were sold out because it was the unending blizzard of '14-15.

I shoveled a lot of fucking snow.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i went to 3 open houses yesterday

they were actually nice

i should figure out my life

poo
    oh yeah can any of you recommend me a comfortable desk chair?

poo
    My house is cold. 59 in the living room with the pellet stove going.

Fuck this cold.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

I have an Ikea MARKUS and it's pretty good for the price.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    edited January 2019
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    My house is cold. 59 in the living room with the pellet stove going.

Fuck this cold.

my apartment is, floor level, below 60F, and if the thermometer is on my dresser 63F

of course some of this has to do with drafts from still having the AC unit in etc but also most of the time in the winter the radiator makes the apartment a giant furnace and it's usually way too hot in here (75F+)

so wtf is going on
    the legal minimum is 68F during the daytime in nyc, and 62F between 10pm and 6am

and if we have these radiators that are normally a bajillion degrees why not right now

edit: 56 on the floor

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

yes, my previous desk chair.

... I have no idea what type it was though. But it was very comfy!

I'm partial to Herman Miller or steelcase. Spendy, but will never die

the older aerons i liked but we have the new ones in my office and i feel like they cut off circulation in my legs hrm

poo
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    the older aerons i liked but we have the new ones in my office and i feel like they cut off circulation in my legs hrm

The Aeron may get all the attention, but the Embody is the best damn chair ever made.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust

The Aeron may get all the attention, but the Embody is the best damn chair ever made.

yes it looks nice

i see mixed reviews i think i'd need to test out one somewhere obviously

i'm sure that'd be easy since i'm in nyc

poo
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

yes it looks nice

Yeah, hit up any DWR store, or the Herman Miller showroom downtown and check 'em out.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust

yes it looks nice

Also, there should be solid used places there with lightly used office furniture for half or less.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I sit on a $100 chair from Staples that works super well for me, but I figure that's not what most other people would be looking for.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    staples has a knock off aeron that is REALLY good for like $300

I have no idea if they still sell it

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    staples has a knock off aeron that is REALLY good for like $300

I have no idea if they still sell it

Honestly I really like their options, they have a fair number of them, they have frequent huge discounts on their chairs, and you get to test them all out in the store before buying! I mentioned earlier that I'd spent $100, but the chair was like half off.

I spent $110 on a "gaming" chair from Staples that is honestly the most comfortable thing I've ever sat on.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    My computer chair is finally succumbing to the thousands of hours of my corpulent form sitting in it over the last four or maybe five years or so, it's done well for an $85 IKEA chair! We're gonna upgrade to a much nicer chair from an office supply store soon, unfortunately our budget doesn't stretch anywhere near far enough for us to get something like an Aeron, but my partner and I both have experience with the better office chairs available locally so we're confident we can pick out something comfortable and sturdy that should last a decade or so.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I spent $110 on a "gaming" chair from Staples that is honestly the most comfortable thing I've ever sat on.

Do you have pictures?

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I really need to buy a sturdier computer chair, or at least one my wife can't straddle me in, because about once every six months or so she gets the desire to reaffirm her ability to distract me out of a game session by sitting in my lap and engaging in making out/hard snuggling/affectionate grinding and the last three office chairs I've purchased have been unable to sustain such... sustained vigourous activity and have all met premature ends as various parts wore out from increased strain and wear and tear.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I really need to buy a sturdier computer chair, or at least one my wife can't straddle me in

I'd vote for option A.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    Joolander wrote: »

Do you have pictures?

Here you go.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I really need to buy a sturdier computer chair, or at least one my wife can't straddle me in, because about once every six months or so she gets the desire to reaffirm her ability to distract me out of a game session by sitting in my lap and engaging in making out/hard snuggling/affectionate grinding and the last three office chairs I've purchased have been unable to sustain such... sustained vigourous activity and have all met premature ends as various parts wore out from increased strain and wear and tear.

Lol, #humblebrag

Also, ^5, brother!

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

Lol, #humblebrag

Also, ^5, brother!

:bro:

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Lookit this guy, getting ground on in his gaming chair

true gamers don't have sex

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    what is a "sex"?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    what is a "sex"?

It's the trending tag in Steam.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, that cost a lot of money. Does anyone need any hoovering done or windows cleaning?

ibFshRal.jpg
    This is the view towards where my desk will eventually be. Giant square hole in the ceiling is where the recessed LED panels will be going for some diffused light action

Just for fun, this is what this looked like when we moved in:
    lbXFlYKl.jpg

SLs7Wnfl.jpg
    Here's looking back where the previous picture was taken. Boiler room on the far right.

3ApSzA6l.jpg
    This was going to be where my desk was, until my other half went up at about noon on a sunny day and realised it was darker than my current office. So now it's going to be a cosy nook for a spare bed? Maybe?

8MWI6GJl.jpg
    And then the sofa corner. Which might be a bed corner too and the sofa will go in the picture above. Once I've cleaned up a bit I need to move things around and see how things look

So now all I have to do before I have a fully working room is:
    1. Size all the freshly-plastered surfaces with some watered-down paint (currently about 120m square including the other bits (outside of the stairs in the spare room, outside of the bathroom wall)
    2. Order skirting boards, cut to size and fit
    3. Cut to size and fit the doors (boiler room and 2x eaves-access hatches)
    4. Cut and fit banister rail
    5. Architrave around doors, hatches and ante-loft hatch
    6. Apply fresh-wood undercoat to stair edges, banister rail, spindles, skirting, architraves
    7. Paint walls / ceiling
    8. Clean and varnish exposed purlins / beams
    9. Gloss stair edges, banister rail, spindles, skirting, architraves
    10. Get the plumbers back to fit the radiators and activate the new loop
    11. Buy lights, sockets, switches and network fascias
    12. Finish wiring everything up and get the electrician out to fit the new consumer unit and connect it to the main board
    13. Cry at the cost of carpet

So, another year?

Uggghh

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Did some work with my father-in-law in the basement over the weekend, we've got real lights installed in the main room now. We got two LED panels to put in the ceiling and if I'm being honest they're a lot brighter than I though they'd be but it's nice not to have to walk through the room turning on a series of floor lamps anymore.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Are you a big person like me or not? I got mine from Amazon and its a really nice sturdy and comfy big and tall chair

I’m a smol boi

poo
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    So we just got to watch one of the village inspectors tear our GC and a subcontractor a new asshole. Things like, "You will never work in this town again." were said.

So our project is going great.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    So we just got to watch one of the village inspectors tear our GC and a subcontractor a new asshole. Things like, "You will never work in this town again." were said.

So our project is going great.

are they building your house?!

cause if the inspector said that, you may want to look for a third party construction administrator to watch out for your house

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    This was an two story addition out back. It's done (mostly), but there's been a few snags. There's some minor code issues left in the interior that need to get tied off and there's the outstanding mess of the backyard and concrete steps out the back that aren't done.

But the inspectors have had to deal with:

The GC submitting plans that had an incorrect grade on the back of the house, because he didn't want to pay for a grade survey (those are super expensive, as he said).
    So the initial plans got revised from a patio out back at grade to a set of stairways. Which were then poured incorrectly and didn't have enough clearance for the patio door above the steps. So they ripped out the steps again. At that point, we discovered that the concrete subcontractor installed a french drain for the drain in the stairs and tied it in to the drain tile, which is what the inspector SPECIFICALLY told them not to do. After a couple of months of back and forth with the GC saying things like, "It doesn't matter what the code is, the inspectors approved it so it's fine.", the inspectors made them dig it up. And it was exactly what the inspectors told them not to do. With the added bonus of the concrete contractor sending pictures to the inspectors that were not what was under the stairs. So the inspectors are madder than a next of hornets at this point.

Then the pipes in the laundry room in the new addition freeze. So we're going through the process of making a claim against the GCs insurance and bond. And it turns out, the primary subcontractor who did the framing and finish work never got licensed with the village. So when the inspector showed up yesterday to look at the pipes and lack of insulation and the GC and unlicensed subcontractor were there, he got pissed and threw them out.

Our lawyer is just astounded at all of this and we're already on track to pull the GCs complete bond, make a claim against his business insurance and we're probably going to get the attorney general involved at some point.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Awesome not for the pain, but for taking that sumbitch to the cleaners.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Awesome not for the pain, but for taking that sumbitch to the cleaners.

At this point I don't know if the GC should be praised or ridiculed for sticking around.

Very good for you but man, most contractors would have disappeared into the night by now.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    it should stop being so cold

these heating bills are out of control

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.