As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Also, Scorpion and Baraka's pre-match banter is odd. They clearly have no desire to fight each other, and then immediately try to murder each other.

Edit: But goddamn, this game looks incredible. Both graphically, and in terms of gameplay. Can't wait for April!

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I need to play through X again or watch a let's play, I feel like I don't remember much of the back half.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I mean Baraka and Mileena both super-duper died in MKX and I foresee Mileena coming back as well.

• Options
    Oh, here we go. Max breaking down cosmetics, gear, and variations

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I need to play through X again or watch a let's play, I feel like I don't remember much of the back half.

Maximilian Dood did the story mode for both 9 and X recently if you want to check his vods or his yt channel.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Slight tangent: Fuuuuuuuuu MK9 story mode. That final fight Raiden vs Shao can eat a dick.

Has Raiden ever really been good at his job? Seems like he's the worst pick to do it. haha

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I miss blue lighting for raiden already

• Options

Maximilian Dood did the story mode for both 9 and X recently if you want to check his vods or his yt channel.

Does dude have a playlist set up? Seems they are all spread out and I don't see X just 9

• Options
    Another thing I hope they do is remove the block button. Just let me hold away to block... going back to MKX after Injustice 2 was jarring, because I kept forgetting how to block :P

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Another thing I hope they do is remove the block button. Just let me hold away to block... going back to MKX after Injustice 2 was jarring, because I kept forgetting how to block :P

I don't see this happening ever. It's something unique to MK since the first game.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    There were a lot of really bad characters in MK 5 thru 7 that are best left forgotten. Given that MKX was basically MK4 timeline wise, I'm glad they are doing this instead of retreading Deadly Alliance.

I kind of feel like MKX fell into a similar trap with its characters. If any of the new roster never made another appearance it wouldn't bother me at all.

It's pretty bad that you can probably count on one hand all of the memorable new characters to the series since MK Trilogy.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I would like D'Vorah and Eron Black to return.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Would definitely like to see Erron Black return. Cassie Cage is pretty much all but confirmed, and I really really want Jackie Briggs to come back. Also Mileena.

And Kintaro.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    shit. is it a good time to get into MKX?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    It's never a bad time to get into MKX. The complete edition is probably pretty cheap now a days too.

• Options
    Honestly I thought MKX has some of the best new characters, better than most of 3 onwards

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    Slight tangent: Fuuuuuuuuu MK9 story mode. That final fight Raiden vs Shao can eat a dick.

Has Raiden ever really been good at his job? Seems like he's the worst pick to do it. haha

I like to think the Elder Gods exiled Raiden to Earth specifically because he was a monumental fuck up (as opposed to Earth Realm in general). It just so happened that Earth was the chosen battlefield for the latest Mortal Kombat tournament (way back in MK1) and he had to get involved because it was his planet. The Elder gods just didn't check their Martial Arts Tournament calendar closely enough to realize that would wind up falling under Raiden's jurisdiction when they sent him here so that tournament and all the subsequent events springing from it fell on Raiden's shoulders to handle because the Elder Gods can't keep a schedule straight for more than a few thousand years.

I could be (and probably am) wrong on that count, but the more he fucks up, the more likely it seems that this was all a mistake.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

Does dude have a playlist set up? Seems they are all spread out and I don't see X just 9

On Twitch I don't know but he completed the streams of both.
    On Youtube he is still posting them.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I think the new characters from MKX are better than most of the newest introduced characters from MK5 (Deadly Alliance) right up to MK8 (Armageddon) but there's still a few forgettable considerations. Farrah/Torr and Kotal Kahn don't really strike me as great additions to the roster.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Honestly I thought MKX has some of the best new characters, better than most of 3 onwards

I wouldn't disagree with this at all, but that is a really low bar to cross.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    There are several kharacters i liked from MK3+, however there are certainly some terribad ones as well. i'm very curious how they carry forward the game with respect to who is included. i cannot fathom an MK title without scorpion/sub-zero but unless frost makes a reappearance or they turn scorpion into a title and his son becomes a specter or something old age is gonna get them eventually even if they aren't brutalized in game

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    There are several kharacters i liked from MK3+, however there are certainly some terribad ones as well. i'm very curious how they carry forward the game with respect to who is included. i cannot fathom an MK title without scorpion/sub-zero but unless frost makes a reappearance or they turn scorpion into a title and his son becomes a specter or something old age is gonna get them eventually even if they aren't brutalized in game

If I've learned anything from Street Fighter, it's that old age doesn't matter to fighting game characters.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

If I've learned anything from Street Fighter, it's that old age doesn't matter to fighting game characters.

while that's true they did make a point of it in MKX. whether that will matter remains to be seen

• Options
    Sub-Zero's already been used as a name by two different characters and Scorpion's most common form is a spooky undead revenge ghost. Can't really see either of them being at risk of getting aged out of the plot.

• Options
    i doubt they ever would. it was kind of an idle "what if" thought but like i said i can't imagine them ever excluding them anymore. i know it has happened previously but that was a long time ago

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    It would be really interesting if Raiden was demoted or whatever. I suppose that may be MK 11 is all about getting him out of the way for someone else. He’s gone to such an extreme place but is still the leader of the forces of ‘good’ compared to all the sorcerers, outworlders and so on.

• Options
    there are rules for invading other realms so i guess it would depend whether the elder gods or whatever entity decides he violated them

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I always thought of the MK gods as being like the Greek gods. They’re all terrible in their own ways, but that’s what makes them interesting.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Angry/Vengeful Raiden is a good touch, but, god or whatever, he’s been at his post a very long while. They tried to let Fujin pal around but he always felt like Diet Raiden at best. If nothing else it’s an interesting story problem to figure out how to replace him.

• Options
    did scorpion become defender of all the realms or just earth realm in....mk 6? i forget which one where that was an ending. i could see them go either way. raiden has a last minute redemption where he repents the lunacy or i could see them have him double-down and he just straight up is the bad guy just 1000x worse because of righteous fury or something. it'd be an interesting version to have the "bad guys" e.g. liu kang's evil(?) revenant army have to save the day because the good guy went off the deep end

• Options
    my hope is they dont go too far into the gods and magical super beings aspect of the universe. The MK story is at its best when its anchored to its human characters. I always think of it as basically big trouble in little china, its about ordinary but kickass humans experiencing a crazy over the top world. If it becomes too un-tethered from that perspective it can get a bit expositiony and boring, which plagued a lot of the earlier shittier MK game storylines

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/01/shiver_entertainment_is_developing_the_switch_version_of_mortal_kombat_11

Switch version of MK11 is being handled by Shiver Entertainment, who is known mostly for... a Scribblenauts port? This combined with the fact that they haven't shown the Switch version leads me to believe there's a 99% chance MK11 on Switch is a hot turd.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    my hope is they dont go too far into the gods and magical super beings aspect of the universe. The MK story is at its best when its anchored to its human characters. I always think of it as basically big trouble in little china, its about ordinary but kickass humans experiencing a crazy over the top world. If it becomes too un-tethered from that perspective it can get a bit expositiony and boring, which plagued a lot of the earlier shittier MK game storylines

If Johnny Cage came out without Liu Kang and while saying, "Look, I just want my truck back" or something along those lines I'd be happy.

When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac (goro?) grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye, and asks you if you paid your dues; you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton Johnny Cage always says at a time like that: "Have you paid your dues, JackJohnny? Yes, sir, the check is in the mail."

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I miss blue lighting for raiden already

@Prohass I’ve seen several gameplay videos where Raidens different costumes give him back blue lightning

And if you mean from a story persoective, that probably means blue lightning Raider shows up at some point

• Options

I dunno. I can see that angle but even MK1 the entire thing was about saving the earth from otherwordly threats. There were normal humans involved but I think most classify as basically superhuman.

Admittedly I don't recall all the specifics for say MK6 or how exactly order realm fits into everything but I don't think it's all 100% trash. Given they seem to have acknowledged the insanity via the reset in MK9 and managed back-to-back solid single player experiences I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if they make things more cosmic.

Personally I would prefer things not get to that level. I am fine with larger scale stuff but when it is "can wipe out entire planets by wiping his butt" it gets comical and not in a good way. Shao kahn levels is where I think it's fine. Shinnok was pushing it for me but it turned out OK in MKX.

• Options
    Now that I think about it, I think it turned out Scorpion was the one to defeat the Dragon King in MK8, revealing him to be earth’s true protector.

Like Raiden’s the guy who shows up and talks big, Scorpion’s the guy who comes around later and gets shit done.

Like killing Quan Chi, consequences be damned.

• Options
    Well, killing Quan Chi ended up being a bit of an oopsie.

Probably could just end up calling Sonya earth realm's true protector. She seems to have done an alright job keeping everything in check. Though, Kotal Khan not being a major dickbag probably helped too.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I've decided I've quite excited about MK11 but I probably need to watch the story of MKX on something to catch up before I get it.

I really wish they could go back and change Injustice's whole gear system to be more like this. Cosmetic, easily swappable... meanwhile there's no option to force default costumes in IJ2 unless you're playing a local tournament.

• Options
    Man, I forgot they just got and kill off damn near everyone in 9, and raiden made everything super worse. It's been awhile since I played, and I knew he messed up some things, I thought he got the mk2 one right when I was thinking back on it. Did kung Lao originally win MK2 ? Or was it liu?

It's been longer than I thought because I don't remember a lot of this. Fun watching through, might actually replay 10 myself though as I have it digital. I feel like I dont remember a lot of that either.

• Options
    Liu Kang won Mortal Kombat 1 and 2. In MK3 Shao Kahn decided to pull some weird sorcery loophole by reincarnating Sindel on Earth which would give him...jurisdiction rights?...imminent domain? over the Earth, I guess.