As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    When I did my knight I painted the skeleton then hit it with gloss varnish then airbrushed on an oil wash of black/burnt umber then wiped off the raised areas with a little mineral spirit.

HUGE time-saver.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Slapped some paint on my Tech-Priest Primus. Found a shot that can show the greenstuffworld colorshift paint on his eyeballs.
    xrlbKpu.jpg

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    One of you guys posted an upright converted techpriest dominus a while back.

Anyone have the how-to on that conversion?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    If you mean this one:
    9439751-D-645-D-4505-B69-A-B1-FB6-C396667.jpg
    The major part was cutting at the ‘waist’ where the armour meets the robes and spinning the torso around 180° and filling the minor gap with putty. If you cut along the armour line, it almost poses itself when you turn the components around.
    The rest was just rearranging the extra pipes and gubbins to fit the new pose. Oh and extending her axe to reach the ground properly using plastic rod and careful drilling.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I've seen lots of people painting gerblins lately, for some mysterious reason, so I have jumped on the band-wagon. My limit is 9 models though, I have no plans on running up to the full 60 grot squad size!

bo9y2soyr542.jpg
    gytn2snagaga.jpg
    lg4y3fmt8b90.jpg
    3dg77az4qohs.jpg
    4cmthfjksfpc.jpg

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I've seen lots of people painting gerblins lately, for some mysterious reason, so I have jumped on the band-wagon. My limit is 9 models though, I have no plans on running up to the full 60 grot squad size!

bo9y2soyr542.jpg
    gytn2snagaga.jpg
    lg4y3fmt8b90.jpg
    3dg77az4qohs.jpg
    4cmthfjksfpc.jpg

I picked these guys up, these sculpts are so much fun, there’s a ton of character in them. Can’t wait to paint mine.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    If you mean this one (snip)

The major part was cutting at the ‘waist’ where the armour meets the robes and spinning the torso around 180° and filling the minor gap with putty. If you cut along the armour line, it almost poses itself when you turn the components around.
    The rest was just rearranging the extra pipes and gubbins to fit the new pose. Oh and extending her axe to reach the ground properly using plastic rod and careful drilling.

Yes, that's the one! Thank you

I need to build this for an upcoming army

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Does anyone have a good recipe for a bulk ochre/sepia wash? I'm working on a bulk of terrain pieces, and did a test piece with Seraphim Sepia that came out about how I wanted it. That said, I don't want to buy thirty pots of GW wash for this project.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I've looked around and all I can find is Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthsade recipes from people. Not seeing much about Seraphim Sepia.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    A different, worse colour
    get some tubes of acryllic yellow ochre and/or burn umber, mix with water in a cup (i like rattlecan tops), grab a big cheap chipbrush and go to town.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Purple
    Yeah for terrain/large terrain I go cheap craft store paint mixed to preferenced shade, then water it down

steam_sig.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Inks are also a good thing. Little bottles of fountain pen ink have a toooooon of pigment. Make your own washes by the gallon.

edited January 2019
    Purple
    McGibs wrote: »
    get some tubes of acryllic yellow ochre and/or burn umber, mix with water in a cup (i like rattlecan tops), grab a big cheap chipbrush and go to town.
    Inks are also a good thing. Little bottles of fountain pen ink have a toooooon of pigment. Make your own washes by the gallon.

Yeah, this was going to be my next question (paint vs. Ink). I've made a black wash before using ink, but it ended up too concentrated to use straight most of the time, and....it's straight black, so not as useful as I expected it to be.

[Edit] For reference, that wash recipe was 25 mL water, 25 mL matte medium, 9 mL black ink. It works well enough, it's just too concentrated and it's black. If I mix something thinner, what's a good ratio to aim for?

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Purple
    Here's a terrain-centric wash making video that's been showing up as recommended for me for a while now, it might be of use?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IokSYHu58V8

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Gonna try painting for the first time in....decades. Any tips? I still have all my tamiya acrylics I am hoping are sealed and good.

Oh, can I put enamels over acrylics? Hell, can enamel go on these plastics to begin with?

Suggestions for primer?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Purple
    If you're hand-brushing on primer: Vallejo Surface Primer

If you're airbrushing on primer: Vallejo Surface Primer

If you're rattlecan-spraying on primer: Army Painter primers are decent. I think people will have lots of different opinions here.

And yes, I said VSP twice because it's that good.

Purple
    Avoid enamels. It works, but it's a ton of hassle for subpar results.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Gonna try painting for the first time in....decades. Any tips? I still have all my tamiya acrylics I am hoping are sealed and good.

Oh, can I put enamels over acrylics? Hell, can enamel go on these plastics to begin with?

Suggestions for primer?

Enamels are not well suited for painting models like these. Acrylics are water soluble and much easier to work with in every way.

Purple
    Progress!

sDdCBd8.jpg?1

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Purple
    I'm really going for it on this Knight. I'm attempting to paint details I've never thought of painting on other models, little pipes, connections, circuits. Some hits, some misses...only a few mistakes to "clean up" hehe. I'll post some closer up pictures of the guns as I fill them in with detail.

edited January 2019
    Purple
    The Great Smurfening has begun (first coats)...

2X2nfpm.jpg?1

GnomeTank on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    You might want to wear some gloves

edited January 2019
    Purple
    honovere wrote: »
    You might want to wear some gloves

I have a whole box of them sitting here. I'm lazy and I wash the paint off between coats, I don't let it sit there. It takes less time to wash my fingers than mess with the gloves.

Tangentially related, I know there are a thousand awesome things you can do with an airbrush, and I plan to learn as many as I can...but to me, the buttery smooth base coats alone are worth the price of entry. Perfectly smooth, even color on all these armor plates with the second coat.

GnomeTank on
    Finished up an abominant and his platonic pal.
    SRBXMXa.jpg

Nips wrote: »

If you're rattlecan-spraying on primer: Army Painter primers are decent. I think people will have lots of different opinions here.

Which color is best?

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Whatever is closest to the primary color of the model. But for VSP, you don't have a ton of options.

I prefer grey. Nice neutral base for whatever you’re doing.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »

Which color is best?

Purple. Duh.
    But for reals, I either use black or whatever color I want the mini to predominantly be (e.g. blue for ultrasmurfs or red for mechanicus).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Thanks for the tips, guys. Out to buy some primer.

Purple
    I use gray primer for everything. Both because that's generally the easiest VSP to get, but also because it's neutral as Badablack said.

If you're going minimalist or want a lot of deep shadows, you can prime with black and just let that be your shadows. You can get some striking results with that, and it kind of feels like cheating since you don't really paint the whole model.

I like their dark “panzer grey” or whatever it’s called. It’s a nice neutral-hued grey but also very dark. It’s also an amazing way to cheat shaded blacks because you can just wash it with Nuln Oil or equivalent to get a really solid shade with highlights that don’t look garish.

At what point in this process was I supposed to wash my models? They're assembled so I'm hoping I could give them a gentle scrub with a tooth brush without fucking everything up.

Depends what you are working with; for resin, immediately after removing the sprues (jus to get the dust and grease in a single pass, see) but plastics generally don’t need it at all.

edited January 2019
    Reaper bones minis need a scrub with soap and water. Warhammer minis don't.

Renzo on
    Purple
    I soak and rinse my GW plastic just to be sure, but I don't scrub it.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I recommend thoroughly scrubbing resin and metal (especially fresh-bought metal) after removing from the sprue to get the mould release off.
    Then I recommend washing (and drying) EVERYTHING just before priming (including plastic models). Your disgusting finger grease rubs on the model while you're assembling it.

Purple
    VSP comes in a lot of colors, actually. 20 by my last count.

VSP comes in a lot of colors, actually. 20 by my last count.

Oh, awesome. My shop only carries a few, so I thought options were limited.

Uh, I'm just working with FFG Star Wars legion. I don't think it's resin? That's the Super expensive forge world shit right?

This discussion has been closed.