As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I went with a double UAC5 double medium laser build on my Catapult K2 in MWO. It's working out pretty good. The damn thing is still armored with a wet paper bag, but at least now I can get in and do some damage, whereas with double PPC's I struggled to achieve anything.

I like running hot and scary, so I have 2 RAC5s and 2ERML (to shoot down UAVs). I sometimes cower with the team and unload from near teammates. Or more often than not, I go balls out and stare down the enemy forces spraying bullets everywhere.
    I believe I somehow managed to fit 2xRAC/5+2xMPL on mine but I'd have to log in to check.

Something like this?

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#744c8a2e_CPLT-K2
    Blurgh fine I will log in

Nope.

CPLT-K2 - XL300, RAC/5x2, MPLx2
    AC0820:1|AP|Nd|i^|i^pb0|S@|c?qb0|S@|c?r>0|i^|i^s>0|i^te0|AP|APue0|AP|APv>0|APw:0:0:0

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I went with a double UAC5 double medium laser build on my Catapult K2 in MWO. It's working out pretty good. The damn thing is still armored with a wet paper bag, but at least now I can get in and do some damage, whereas with double PPC's I struggled to achieve anything.

I like running hot and scary, so I have 2 RAC5s and 2ERML (to shoot down UAVs). I sometimes cower with the team and unload from near teammates. Or more often than not, I go balls out and stare down the enemy forces spraying bullets everywhere.

I can't seem to do hot and scary successfully on any mech except my Griffin 2N. I'm running it with stealth armor, a snub nose ppc, and 2 SRM6's. It's dumb. It's a walking sauna. But if you get behind enemy lines with it, it's hilarious.

I can't seem to do hot and scary successfully on any mech except my Griffin 2N. I'm running it with stealth armor, a snub nose ppc, and 2 SRM6's. It's dumb. It's a walking sauna. But if you get behind enemy lines with it, it's hilarious.
    Er...I am reasonably certain you would have a lot more effectiveness if you just did a straight swap of the PPC for 2 more SRM6s, which is basically a meta GRF-2N with some variance.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I believe I somehow managed to fit 2xRAC/5+2xMPL on mine but I'd have to log in to check.

Something like this?

Nope.

AC0820:1|AP|Nd|i^|i^pb0|S@|c?qb0|S@|c?r>0|i^|i^s>0|i^te0|AP|APue0|AP|APv>0|APw:0:0:0

Yeah I changed mine from the XL to the Light just to stay alive a bit longer (which is why I dropped the MPLs as well).

I programmed myself to overheating from the Timber Wolf. Long ago that thing was the best overheating alpha.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7

Something like this?

Nope.

Yeah I changed mine from the XL to the Light just to stay alive a bit longer (which is why I dropped the MPLs as well).
    Speed is life! Also, catapults are mostly XL friendly and with a RAC build you have a lot of facetime anyway.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    hehe. I had some problems getting a solo kill in the heavy category (because my heavies are mostly firesupport). So I rebuilt my Reaver with dual UAC10s and 4xSmall Lasers. Some guy in a Champion mech tought he could win a staredown contest since he had a raven to support him. He couldn't. His raven bro decided to scram after he got a double twin UAC10 salvo. Good game.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    HAHA YES

Took my 4x LLas-equipped Orion on a 4 1/2 skull mission. First opponent up is a Highlander, plus I've got some 80 ton mech coming in from the side and an AC10 bombarding me from I'm not sure where.

Target the head, 18% probability of hit.

3 of the 4 lasers connects with the head. Scratch one Highlander, and that sonofabitch is getting added to my arsenal since I went maximum salvage!

edited January 2019
    And then I managed to disable a second one with knockdowns and side torso destruction. Had to blow up the CT of the third Highlander and the Victor, but I have more Highlander salvage than I can even grab with 4 priority salvage. Plus I got one last piece due to the RNG. 5 pieces of Highlander salvage from one mission. It's all coming up Orca tonight!

Orca on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Nerfs incoming for Piranhas (loss of leg structure bonus, reduction in torso yaw) and AC/2 family weapons (velocity). Streaks are getting a change, and a few other mechs are getting buff with the patch.

Nobody on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Nerfs incoming for Piranhas (loss of leg structure bonus, reduction in torso yaw) and AC/2 family weapons (velocity). Streaks are getting a change, and a few other mechs are getting buff with the patch.
    Hunchback
    HBK-4P
    Medium Laser HSL +2 quirk added
    Energy Cooldown -5% quirk removed
    Energy Heat Gen -5% quirk removed

yea bby

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

Hmm, wonder how crazy they will be after this nerf.

On the other hand the Arctic Cheetah gets a buff in mobiliby.
    ACH- All Variants
    Slight boost to global Mobiliby

oosik_betsuni.png
    I wonder if they will ever buff the Firestarter again.

Signs point to no.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    HAHA YES

Took my 4x LLas-equipped Orion on a 4 1/2 skull mission. First opponent up is a Highlander, plus I've got some 80 ton mech coming in from the side and an AC10 bombarding me from I'm not sure where.

3 of the 4 lasers connects with the head. Scratch one Highlander, and that sonofabitch is getting added to my arsenal since I went maximum salvage!

I swear every time I go max salvage it’s nothing but junk or I end up having to slag shit til there is nothing left.

Oh but when I go max credits THATS when I start headshotting assaults like it’s going out of season!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    My Arctic cheetah became even more agile?
    Wow. Because my ACH-Prime was godlike before this patch...

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    Getting that 500+ has been elusive this week. I've gotten close a lot of times (including a 490 pointer. 2 minutes later I have never been so happy that MWO voice chat is key activated), but getting over that 500 barrier just hasn't happened. Which is annoying, because I had at least 4 matches above 500 in the christmas/new years event.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Double

monkeykins on
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    My Arctic cheetah became even more agile?
    Wow. Because my ACH-Prime was godlike before this patch...

Awesome! It's already my favorite mech. I think I put a few points into mobility for some reason, I can dump those for sure now.

Has anyone actually been able to successfully preorder MW5? At the $50 level, that is.

monkeykins on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    HAHA YES

I swear every time I go max salvage it’s nothing but junk or I end up having to slag shit til there is nothing left.

Oh but when I go max credits THATS when I start headshotting assaults like it’s going out of season!

At least they fixed the original campaign frustration of taking 2-4 skull assassination missions only to find that your target was a tank. :(

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Er...I am reasonably certain you would have a lot more effectiveness if you just did a straight swap of the PPC for 2 more SRM6s, which is basically a meta GRF-2N with some variance.

You are correct. I stubbornly hold onto the PPC because in my battletech career, a PPC Griffin has often been a lance linchpin. I also tell myself it's to protect against running out of ammo.

I'm sort of amazed they're hitting the Piranha, PGI usually refuses to touch Clan mechs and instead nerfs some poor IS mech just because. The data must have been bad. I suppose the unnecessary buff to the Arctic Cheetah is to send everyone back to it if the Piranha nerf is too severe.

Dark_Side on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Battletech:

Major power spike go!

In the span of about...4-5 missions (Priority: Artru and some lead-up) I went from having a full Medium lance to two Orions, the story SLDF Highlander, and an Awesome with two PPC++ on it. Straight blastin' fools on 3-skull missions now.

a5ehren on
    Getting that 500+ has been elusive this week. I've gotten close a lot of times (including a 490 pointer. 2 minutes later I have never been so happy that MWO voice chat is key activated), but getting over that 500 barrier just hasn't happened. Which is annoying, because I had at least 4 matches above 500 in the christmas/new years event.

When I was stressing out about it, I just couldn’t deal the deal. After I finally got one they just started coming easier.

edited January 2019
    Finally.
    xJWIaL3.jpg
    I was just absolutely wrecking the enemy that round. Those two kills are a Executioner (solo kill) and a Catapult while I mauled the DWF to within an inch of his miserable whale life

Fiendishrabbit on

You are correct. I stubbornly hold onto the PPC because in my battletech career, a PPC Griffin has often been a lance linchpin. I also tell myself it's to protect against running out of ammo.

I'm sort of amazed they're hitting the Piranha, PGI usually refuses to touch Clan mechs and instead nerfs some poor IS mech just because. The data must have been bad. I suppose the unnecessary buff to the Arctic Cheetah is to send everyone back to it if the Piranha nerf is too severe.

Those were the dark days of PGI. These days they seem to touch Clan mechs just as often as IS. Especially if the mech is out of hand like the Piranha is. But you're right, they probably buffed the Arctic Cheetah to make people remember how hated that mech was. Watch as you'll see tons of 2heavy laser 6MG ACs once again.

oosik_betsuni.png
    MWO:

Currently skilling up my BLR-1G with 3xLPL, 4xERML. It does okay, but the lack of a longer ranged punch hurts on maps like the polar ones.

Is a dual HPPC, 4xML build a dumb idea? I’d try to run 5xERLL but that feels like an exercise in madness in QM.

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular

PGI usually nerfs the baseline Clan tech instead of individual mechs. They nerfed Clan MGs the month before the Piranha dropped and nerfed a lot of Clan energy weapons not too long ago. The Piranha is a special case due to its absurd number of hardpoints.

sXXjb1B.png
    I run a Banshee with the 3LPL and 4ML for brawling and love that mech (it is the Champion build). I tend to hang back on maps with long range sight lines and let the others take the damage till it becomes a furball. Then pretty much just write that match off for the next one hoping for a brawling map. A 2HPPC, 4ML build sounds fun if you have the room for the heat sinks.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Last time I stopped playing the Arctic Cheater just came in and let me tell you, that mech still makes me twitch when I see it on the battlefield. However, it does feel like IS and Clan are more balanced now? Switching between my IS and Clan mechs doesn't feel like night and day any more, I can have fun in both without one requiring twice the effort for the same result.

MWO:

Currently skilling up my BLR-1G with 3xLPL, 4xERML. It does okay, but the lack of a longer ranged punch hurts on maps like the polar ones.

Is a dual HPPC, 4xML build a dumb idea? I’d try to run 5xERLL but that feels like an exercise in madness in QM.

I just don't feel that the BLR-1G has enough weight&heat to handle two HPPCs. With a STD350 you can fit 3xERLL+4xML, but even then the heatmanagement is tricky.

I run a Banshee with the 3LPL and 4ML for brawling and love that mech (it is the Champion build). I tend to hang back on maps with long range sight lines and let the others take the damage till it becomes a furball. Then pretty much just write that match off for the next one hoping for a brawling map. A 2HPPC, 4ML build sounds fun if you have the room for the heat sinks.

Playing around with it looks like I can fit 18 doubles (running a 360 light) at full armor, with room for one more if I shave armor. Can’t link since I’m on mobile (neither site likes mobile apparently).

Comparing in Smurfy’s it looks like it would have the same heat profile (or close to) my WHM.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    You know something, looking at Sarna with all the mech models that got updated to be assault class I’m surprised the griffin never got a new version . Especially since the Steiners liked them so much . A 100 ton 2-n sounds like it would be super fun.

You know something, looking at Sarna with all the mech models that got updated to be assault class I’m surprised the griffin never got a new version . Especially since the Steiners liked them so much . A 100 ton 2-n sounds like it would be super fun.

Humanoid body, large shoulder plates, big missile launchers on the shoulders and backed up by a laser array? The Mauler IS the Assault class Griffin.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    For my BLR-1G I enjoy:
    6 mlas
    1 erppc or lplas
    1 lbx / uac 5 or 10

Depending on weight/space
    1 rocket launcher or machine guns

Can poke a bit as long as you only expose one arm at a time, just make sure you hang back with your team and don't become the front.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    I think I'm at the last Battletech story mission where you go to retake the your capital and it's suggesting being able to field multiple lances.

I'm sitting on an Atlas, the story Highlander, a second Highlander, 3x Orion, and 4x Thunderbolts.

Hm...to farm for more assaults or not...

I think I'm at the last Battletech story mission where you go to retake the your capital and it's suggesting being able to field multiple lances.

I'm sitting on an Atlas, the story Highlander, a second Highlander, 3x Orion, and 4x Thunderbolts.

You need maybe two reserve mechs and 1 reserve pilot if one of your main mechs gets heavily mauled since you won't have time to repair. Atlas+Highlanders+Orions is perfectly fine.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

You can reuse mechs/pilots as long as you don't take structure damage or injury

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Glal wrote: »
    Last time I stopped playing the Arctic Cheater just came in and let me tell you, that mech still makes me twitch when I see it on the battlefield. However, it does feel like IS and Clan are more balanced now? Switching between my IS and Clan mechs doesn't feel like night and day any more, I can have fun in both without one requiring twice the effort for the same result.

Yep, I was a god in it when it first launched. 6SPL, ECM and JJs? Yeah nothing could touch it. Then they took away the leg armor bonus and it fell into line with the other mechs (which is good). Then the MG spam hit and once again it became the bringer of death till the Piranha came. Hopefully this Piranha nerf brings it back into line a bit more. I know that they will never be even with a Locust or Flea, but at least it will be killed.

Playing around with it looks like I can fit 18 doubles (running a 360 light) at full armor, with room for one more if I shave armor. Can’t link since I’m on mobile (neither site likes mobile apparently).

Comparing in Smurfy’s it looks like it would have the same heat profile (or close to) my WHM.

Yeah, I hate that I can't play with Smurfy's or the other site on mobile.

oosik_betsuni.png
    You know. I actually sold my PIR-1 because I didn't feel that I was effective in it. On the other hand my 6xERSL&2xSRM4&ECM ACH-Prime is god among light mechs. It's fast, agile, evasive as hell and delivers a ton of damage. The best mech to get solo kills in (solo killing at least one Lurmer is like normal in the ACH-Prime)

I love my Piranha just because it is a 20 tonner. Along with my Flea and Locusts.

My best light though is the Jenner IIc. SRMs everywhere.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Managed to break 1k damage in a match with a 7 slaser flea

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I'm guessing you run LE170, MASC, TC1, 7xslas? 4xDHS(Endo-steel, light ferro)?
    That heat sinking ability makes me really jelly. Maybe I should buy it for MC (I do have a lot of MC right now)...