As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Tournaments are back!

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    World of Light right before final boss:
    Claus being the last spirit of darkness and Hinawa, the last spirit of light got me right in the feels.

Something lost on a lot of westerners who will never understand the reference. Thanks for nothing, Nintendo.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    THE TOURNAMENT HAS ENDED!

Good games, everyone!
    I am the winner! Me! I hold in my hands a crown drenched in blood, and I know not how much is mine

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'll need to get into next week's. I was planning on this one, but the registration had closed by the time I actually went to the site. C'est la vie.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    3v3 squad strike is a super interesting format to watch pros navigate. There's always at least one off the wall experimental pick.

Edit: well, at least when they don't pick Lucina/Ike/Chrom or something similar.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I finally got into Elite Smash.

As Dedede, oddly enough. I think people underestimate him.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »

You got any 🔥 DeDeDe tips? I'm still struggling to stay above 2m with him online, though I'm getting better in friendlies.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Spacing spacing spacing. A lot of players throw out stuff that’s easily beat by a pivot ftilt. Also utilt has iframes on the head, making for a nice anti-aerial.

Also, don’t get predictable with gordos. I killed a wolf by conditioning him to reflector and killed him by inhaling one back.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Claus being the last spirit of darkness and Hinawa, the last spirit of light got me right in the feels.

Something lost on a lot of westerners who will never understand the reference. Thanks for nothing, Nintendo.

So... what's the reference?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I think it's mother 3. Hinawa is Claus and Lucas' mother right?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I've gotten alittle better, I guess. I was hovering around 30k as Richter, now I'm bouncing between 200k and 400k heh. Woot? Still terrible.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »

What was the cutoff for you?

I had a good day yesterday and got up to 3.2 mil, but never made it in

• Options
    I got in at 3.9 million?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Oh dang, I’m not even close then

It was like 2.5 a few weeks ago!

• Options
    I'm sure I'll improve enough to get into ES eventually, just taking me quite awhile to get decent at this game. I should drop into the smash club channel and get some 1v1s going with you all more, I bet that would be fun and informative. I haven't been in the tournaments here mostly because of them conflicting with IRL stuff, but I also know I'll get bodied immediately. Still I should join anyways, the experience is always good and it's fun to watch the brackets play out.

A positive attitude is the best training tool, but man it can be hard to maintain at times.

• Options
    I got in at about 3.33 yesterday

I didn't even know it went up to 3.9!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    This is from yesterday but

"Smash Bros. is 20 years old today! Over these 20 years, I’ve seen so many people enjoy this series in so many ways – at home, at hangouts, at conventions, even in business offices! Development has always been hard on me, but I’m supremely happy. Thank you so much for playing."

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I lost my email with the piranha plant code, so I asked for a new one on the support chat and voilá, they sent me a new one the same day! What a great customer support!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    When does that go live, again?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    When does that go live, again?

February as per in-game news.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I know I'm probably in the minority on this one. But I really hate getting stuck in a match on an Omega stage. For one, it heavily favours projectile users. But worse, it's just so boring. I understand wanting a standardized stage layout but even plain old battlefield is so much more interesting to play on.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Eh. I like Omega stages because it makes it like a fighting game for me. I hate Battlefield because I am just not good at sliding through platforms. Heh.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Was playing some last night and there was this Snake player who had clearly setup things as a gimmick to get easy wins off the unaware - 2min time battles, stage hazards on. He'd get a stock off you then just mostly run away and zone till the time ran out. However I have not played Snake 1v1 much and he seemed, relative to me, pretty good so I played him like 10 matches. It was fun and I started figuring the MU out. He left as soon as I won twice lol.

• Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Eh. I like Omega stages because it makes it like a fighting game for me. I hate Battlefield because I am just not good at sliding through platforms. Heh.

I only realized you could phase directly through platforms while falling by holding down on the analog stick like, two days ago.

It's made battlefield stages much more usable.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Interesting development tidbits from a Sakurai interview:

Decidueye almost made it in over Incineroar.
    Arms and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters were cut due to "bad timing for the project plan."
    The Belmonts, K. Rool and Ridley made it in due to the Smash Ballot.
    Piranha Plant was included because he wasn't a hero and Sakurai wanted to mix things up.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I swear Battlefield in Ultimate is actually good for projectile users because it’s harder to just jump a few times to get to them since the plats provide cover. Especially if you have anything that isn’t strictly vertical (See: the Belmonts).

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Just let me pick hazards off Stadium for online.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Trying to drop through a platform you're already on is still my greatest bane in this game. So often I'll try to drop through and just end up doing a dtilt or dsmash (the latter of which makes no sense because smashing down is the exact input to drop through!!!). When I see pros drop through and immediately cancel the dropping animation with a nair I get jealous.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Wait, isn't the drop input just down on the d-pad?

Down smash is different input?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Watching ESAM's Samus is inspiring, really cool play.

• Options
    Weirdly enough I'm at my most comfortable on Final Destination, as Ganondorf. I know on paper I have more advantages on levels that have platforms, but actually being on a platform above the enemy feels like an almost insurmountable obstacle

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Isn't the d-pad reserved for taunts? And by down smash I meant smashing down on the left stick and then pressing A, because I want to do a falling aerial as I go through the platform, but it reads those as a smash because of buffering or something.

Even when I'm not trying to attack I'll be on the platform teabagging because it only reads my drop input on the third try.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

Isn't the d-pad reserved for taunts? And by down smash I meant smashing down on the left stick and then pressing A, because I want to do a falling aerial as I go through the platform, but it reads those as a smash because of buffering or something.

Even when I'm not trying to attack I'll be on the platform teabagging because it only reads my drop input on the third try.

Ah yeah I meant left stick.

Weird that it's doing a smash for you, either you're too fast or there might be some lag?

Are you doing a full tilt on the stick to go down?
    A short quick one should be enough, ya?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Re: dropping through platforms.

I’m very glad that there was a specific Loading Screen Tip telling me that K Rool can drop down while his gun is in suction mode. I’ve used this to drop down and catch people with sneaky sucks more than a few times. It’s fun.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Take this for the spiralling it is: Ultimate has an extremely aggressive input buffer. If you start holding a button during an action in progress, you'll execute that command the moment it becomes available to do so. You might be tapping the A button a second time after attacking and then trying to drop through the floor, resulting in a combined "down and A" input that gets read as an attack.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I think it's mother 3. Hinawa is Claus and Lucas' mother right?

Yes.

BIG MOTHER 3 SPOILERS. Like seriously, up to the final battle.
    At the start of Mother 3, Lucas, Claus, and their partents, Hinawa and Flint, live together in Tazmily Village. The inciting incident that starts the main conflict is when Hinawa is killed by a Drago that has been turned into a rampaging cyborg chimera by the Pig Mask army. Claus runs off to try and take revenge, but the drago beats him to within an inch of his life, and he goes missing.

Years later, Claus resurfaces as the sinister Masked Man leading the Pig Mask army’s attempts to find the Seven Needles holding an ancient dragon in place beneath the earth. Claus has been turned into a cyborg by the same army that made the Drago into one, and his heart has been emptied of almost all emotion. If he pulls the Dragon’s needles, his empty heart will influence it and cause everything in the world to simply vanish.

The final “battle” of the game is Lucas vs Claus. Lucas cannot being himself to fight his brother, no matter how much he’s been changed. All he can do is sit there and take the Masked Man’s attacks. Flint jumps in as well to take a hit meant for Lucas at one point. The battle comes to a close when Hinawa’s spirit comes down and talks to Claus, reminding him of who he is and reviving the small part of him that is still inside him. This brings him back to his senses, just enough so that he can remove the mask and intentionally fire an attack at Lucas that will reflect off of the Franklin Badge he’s carrying, taking himself down so that Lucas can pull the final Needle.

With that context, the placements of Hinawa and Claus are quite fitting, and the battles themselves pretty tragic.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.nintendo.com/switch/events/
    Nintendo's running a big invite-only tournament at PAX East, and to get in they're hosting online qualifying events in February and March. 4 regions (Northeast, Northwest, Southeast, Southwest), both USA and Canada are included. Win your qualifier to go the regional finals, win that and you get airfare, hotel, and tickets to PAX East 2019 to play in the grand finals. You can sign up for all 3 qualifying events in your region.
    Ruleset is Time (7:00), 1 game, low items with Smash Ball on for qualifiers, Stock (3 with a 7:00 timer), best of 3, low items with Smash Ball for regional finals. The PAX East finals are a 3v3 Squad Strike event where everyone will be put in a team with the other winners from their region.

• Options
    What do you want to bet that the finals teams will each be Peach, Daisy, and Zelda?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    What do you want to bet that the finals teams will each be Peach, Daisy, and Zelda?

I dunno, there are a couple other really strong FS options. Smash ball is less rewarding of defensive play than meter I think? Feels super RNG though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    They need to turn off gust bellows or I predict a very disappointing finals

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    They need to turn off gust bellows or I predict a very disappointing finals

I think “low items with smash ball” means only smash ball.

This discussion has been closed.