As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    All I'm hoping for is a release date for the asshole goose game.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Terraria
    Starbound

Please

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Wait, I just clicked the link and Terraria is actually listed!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
    Drez chortled in his joy.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    All I'm hoping for is a release date for the asshole goose game.

This is the game I want too. I want to be a jerky goose. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

To be released in 2020.

edited January 2019
    No.

No.

Drez on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I mean... yeah. Probably.

At least we know Starbound is being developed. They hired their switch port manager back in December.

• SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    Man, physical copies of Katamari sure disappeared fast. Maybe I don't need it anyway since I can't seem to ever drag myself away from Smash.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

To be released in 2022.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Man, physical copies of Katamari sure disappeared fast. Maybe I don't need it anyway since I can't seem to ever drag myself away from Smash.

Yeah when I bought my wife a copy I had to drive almost 20 miles and they only had 3 copies. And they were the only place left with any at all.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• rabidmuskratrabidmuskrat Registered User regular
    I'm slightly disappointed that there's not a proper Nintendo Direct announced yet. I'm really looking forward to new Animal Crossing news.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I thought I was kind of done with Animal Crossing after spending an awfully long time with all the previous iterations. Figured the expected minor iterations on the formula probably wouldn't be enough to pull me back in.

But then my kids discovered the mobile version and now I'm massively excited to share a real AC game with them.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I will only buy a new Animal Crossing if they ditch the rolling world and reinvent it like BotW. Full 3D world where I can control the camera and go anywhere and more activities to do hopefully.

In some ways I feel like they are so saddled with the current design because of a number of really specific things they don't want to let go of, like how it makes it easy to see and hit floating presents with a slingshot. But they need to let go. Maybe even ditch the slingshot entirely, it doesn't have to be a sacred cow of AC. Or retool it and make it a Zelda-type slingshot with actual functionality, shoot fruits off trees etc.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I will only buy a new Animal Crossing if they ditch the rolling world and reinvent it like BotW. Full 3D world where I can control the camera and go anywhere and more activities to do hopefully.

In some ways I feel like they are so saddled with the current design because of a number of really specific things they don't want to let go of, like how it makes it easy to see and hit floating presents with a slingshot. But they need to let go. Maybe even ditch the slingshot entirely, it doesn't have to be a sacred cow of AC. Or retool it and make it a Zelda-type slingshot with actual functionality, shoot fruits off trees etc.

Yeah, they've basically made the exact same game... 4 times now? None of them are any different functionally from the original. It's time to innovate.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    After BotW came out, people were talking about how a cool sequel that built on top of the existing BotW narrative and assets could be about rebuilding the BotW world.

Obviously, the next Animal Crossing should be Tom Nook hiring the player to rebuild Hyrule. Boom, done, I just revolutionized two game franchises and gave the Zelda timeline theorists something to talk about for the next five years.

Hire me, Nintendo.

fOzvnVT.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited January 2019
    Why not really shake it up?

I propose Animal Crossing Over where you find yourself suddenly in the afterlife after your mom sends you to summer camp and on the way your taxi drives off a cliff and you drown. A very unfriendly reaper raccoon named Mot Koon* informs you that you are now in the afterlife for all eternity and must work off the infinite karmic debt you have incurred in your 8-10 years of innocent by farming brimstone amid the eternal flames.

*Mot, in religious mythology, is the West Semitic god of the dead and of all the powers that opposed life and fertility, so it's a perfect first name for a reaper in a video game about a child being stuck for an eternity in Hell

Drez on
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I go to Animal Crossing as a sort of comfort food. I'm not opposed to a shake-up as described, but the fact that the game has essentially iterated on itself over and over, just adding more stuff each go around, has never been a problem for me. The biggest things I'd like to see in Animal Crossing Switch may seem pretty modest, actually:
    • Ability to send letters/gifts to friends in other towns WITHOUT visiting their town
    • More dialogue variety. The Gamecube version still has the best dialogue, everything since then has been varying degrees of underwhelming. Maybe i'm just older now, but I loved just going around town and chatting with animals back in the day, but the "Quests" have gotten a lot more transparent and each personality type seems more repetitive vs. in the GC game some animals had a lot of unique dialogue.
    • More hats! etc.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    SirUltimos wrote: »

Yeah when I bought my wife a copy I had to drive almost 20 miles and they only had 3 copies. And they were the only place left with any at all.

As near as I can tell there's not a single copy left in southern Ontario, and the online prices are insane. Oh well, I have enough to play without it.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Looks like the folks making Unruly Heroes will be making an announcement tomorrow .... presumably a release date

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Doomed! Doomed I say!

...technically wild success is a doom, right?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

Doomed! Doomed I say!

Doom did okay. I wouldn’t call it a wild success, but people enjoyed it.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I like to imagine the Animal Crossing universe takes place in a far future where humanity had genetically engineered animal people as a slave labor force, but humans themselves eventually died out only to leave behind their creations.

The animal people were engineered to follow human orders and aren't very good at running a society of their own. So they clone random human children to act as "mayor". When a child gets too old they are "voted out of office" and a new one is brought in.

Animal Crossing is dark as fuck.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Alternatively, the hyperevolved animal people adopt human children as pets. They get sent back to the recycling facility once they stop being cute.

edited January 2019
    And yet there are still people claiming that Nintendo needs to cut the price of the Switch already. :?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm curious how those numbers compare to the PS4 at the same age. I'm not saying it's not impressive, but we're comparing it to a system that's coming up on the end of its lifecycle.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Doomed! Doomed I say!

Yes, if it's not wild success enough. (laracroft.meme)

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    is that total sales of ps4 + ps4 pro? I guess i'd like to know they lumped all the different models together. If they didn't then that's a little misleading.

Pailryder wrote: »
    is that total sales of ps4 + ps4 pro? I guess i'd like to know they lumped all the different models together. If they didn't then that's a little misleading.

They typically lump the pro models in with the base models, yeah.

• GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Dirty wrote: »
    I'm curious how those numbers compare to the PS4 at the same age. I'm not saying it's not impressive, but we're comparing it to a system that's coming up on the end of its lifecycle.

"Nintendo Switch sets new sales record in Dec. for this gen" it says in the tweet. So it seems that it sold better in December than any other console this gen? Unless that bloke counts Switch as a new generation of course...

EDIT.

"Review code is not available for Wargroove. They have not been sent out to media outlets. Don't expect a shadow drop to occur tomorrow following the Direct. Typically, no outlet has review code ahead of time for a stealth release -- because odds favor it would leak."

From the same guy (pretty on the nose often with these things).

So Wargroove hasn't sent review codes out (that stealth guy removed his tweet). Just a heads up :)

Grebnu on
    Grebnu wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »

"Nintendo Switch sets new sales record in Dec. for this gen" it says in the tweet. So it seems that it sold better in December than any other console this gen? Unless that bloke counts Switch as a new generation of course...

Sounds like it. Reggie said something like 40 percent of its American sales happen during the holidays, so this figure probably isn't too surprising. The other consoles get bumps, but not anything like Nintendo.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It's pretty tough to compare the Switch to the other two consoles. There's a big price difference, launch date, and hardware difference that it's really quite unique. I'm sure it can be done though, I'd just take the results with a grain of salt.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited January 2019
    Phase 2 is convincing people every kid in the house needs their own Switch, much like Game Boy/DS/3DS. Which may happen once fights break out over who gets to play it in their room...or the kids are always taking it off the dock and getting it lost in their room and dad wants to play his Zelda. :P

UncleSporky on
    I'm wondering if the next core Pokemon that comes out this year will have the same effect on hardware that the games always did for the DS/3DS.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Phase 2 is convincing people every kid in the house needs their own Switch, much like Game Boy/DS/3DS. Which may happen once fights break out over who gets to play it in their room...or the kids are always taking it off the dock and getting it lost in their room and dad wants to play his Zelda. :P

I had the switch less than 6 months and considered how nice it would be to have my own I wouldn't have to share with the kids....

So yeah, that's the next step.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited January 2019
    “Nintendo Switch generated the highest December-month hardware dollar sales for a single platform since the Nintendo Wii in December 2009,” NPD analyst Mat Piscatella said. “And it achieved the highest December unit sales for a single platform since December 2010.”

https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/22/december-2018-npd-smash-bros-beats-spider-man-in-exclusives-battle/

So that answers the question if it beat the ps4s best December during its peek. That is incredibly impressive.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Looking at the NPD for the year it makes me very happy that the industry seems very healthy and all three console makers are doing well.

Also what's Sony and insomniac did with Spider-Man is absolutely incredible.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Also, this happened:

Keep in mind Nintendo is one of the few companies that doesn't provide NPD with digital sales, so its sales total and ranking is likely even higher.

(FYI, the top-selling game of 2018 was Red Dead Redemption 2, followed by Call of Duty Black Ops 4, NBA 2K19, and Madden 19.)

Also:

So I guess Nintendo's doing OK.

There's a lot of "in dollar sales" up there. Is that pretty different from actual units sold? Did Smash not actually dethrone Halo Reach in units, just dollars earned? But if they both sold for $60, what's the difference?