As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LGBT protections and rights

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I think what AD was getting at is that "not having this protection in place makes me far, far more likely to resist arrest" and "this will kill people, by design" go together in a way you had perhaps not considered.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    Does anyone know if state prisons tend to follow the federal guidelines on this stuff? Are Indiana prisons, for example, about to get a lot shittier.for trans inmates or were there never any protections to take away?
    tynic wrote: »
    I don't have any words for this

Jon Cooper is the chairman of the Democratic Coalition

not having this protection in place makes me far, far more likely to resist arrest

Not having this protection in place makes me far, far more adamant that you do not do that, because that will only increase the likelihood and duration of your need for what is no longer there.
    this will kill people, by design

note that I did not ask for advice

can we drop this tangent, now

or is this "tell a trans woman how to feel about legislation designed to harm them" day

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Tempers are high and I think we're probably both more mad about the fucking stupid dangerous shit that's coming from DC right now so sure.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Conservatives are mad the NAFTA modification contains protections for LGBT workers because of course they are.

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2018/11/16/house-conservatives-lgbt-protection-trade-pact-977288?__twitter_impression=true
    Protections in the new North American trade pact for LGBTQ people are roiling conservative lawmakers in the House, who are urging President Donald Trump to rescind them.

They are displeased that the new United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement contains requirements that workers be protected from discrimination on the basis of sex, including sexual orientation and gender identity.
    The LGBT provisions were a Canadian priority — part of the so-called progressive trade agenda championed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and described as a “big win” by his government. And the Trudeau government already is less than enthusiastic about entering the agreement while steel tariffs remain in place. Canada’s ambassador to Washington joked in a recent interview with POLITICO that the country might sign the pact with a “bag over its head.”

It’s unclear whether the LGBT clauses even have real teeth. Both Canada and the U.S. agree it wouldn’t require a new law.

But it’s unprecedented language in a U.S. trade agreement.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Trump admin asks Supreme Court to take up transgender military ban before lower courts rule on it

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/23/politics/military-transgender-ban-supreme-court/index.html

Cons:
    - With a conservative majority enshrined, this fucking sucks and is completely needless
    - Based in nothing but base-pandering bigotry

Pros:
    - SCOTUS almost never takes cases that haven’t had lower-court rulings first
    - The Trump administration has literally no empirical defense to their argument
    - Trump picked a bad week to start a fight with Chief Justice John Roberts about judicial impartiality

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    It's being reported that HIV positive, currently active members of the military are being fired by the White House.

Not certain how prevalent this is, or if it'll hit the wider media thanks to a thousand other things going on. Thought this might be appreciated here.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    HIV commonly already gets people separated, just normally at the end of their contract since they’re restricted in assignments they can fulfill. But the military recently rolled out the deploy or get out policy to cut loose anyone that can’t deploy for over 12 months. Now stuff like this gets people insta separated since they can’t deploy based on requirements.

It’s not specifically targeted at people with HIV but it definitely and unfairly affects them much more harshly.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Apparently it's time to necro this thread.

There's been movement in Trump's Transgender military band. The so-called conservative members (really, they're far more reactionary) of the SCotUS says that the ban can be implemented while the trial court considers the implications of such a band.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

There's been movement in Trump's Transgender military band. The so-called conservative members (really, they're far more reactionary) of the SCotUS says that the ban can be implemented while the trial court considers the implications of such a band.

And here I was thinking it was only seeing the Immigration thread pop up after a couple days without traffic, that threatened my physical well being.

That people willing to risk their lives in service to this country, and a President who used his position to avoid said risk, are being denied the opportunity to serve, makes me sick to my stomach.

I fucking HATE these guys. This isn't an argument over marginal tax rates, or the role of government, or what government should be paying. This is "You people make me feel icky and so I'm going to ruin your lives to make me feel better.". Fucking petty small-minded bigoted asshole pricks.

Stepping away from the internets now, before I say something I'll get justifiably pinged for.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    the worst part about this is what the ban will likely precede

I have zero love for the military, but I sure hate having the rest of my rights taken away

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    the worst part about this is what the ban will likely precede

I have zero love for the military, but I sure hate having the rest of my rights taken away

Yeah, this isn't about the military, really

It's about what it means that a military ban is even happening

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    The military being awful didn't mean stuff like the military becoming integrated under Truman or making women a permanent part of military services weren't important for civil rights.

I understand the idea behind "great, now X group will be participating in the oppression of other groups" that comes with things like there being more women higher up in the military or more minority heads of major companies but at the very least that happening can represent certain social divisions weakening in a way that can help class solidarity and whatnot in the longterm

Couscous on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Trump only had 2 BS reasons why a ban should go into effect, and SCOTUS basically just said "well let it go in effect and we'll figure out if it's actually legal or not in a million years once a lawsuit makes it up here"

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Trump only had 2 BS reasons why a ban should go into effect, and SCOTUS basically just said "well let it go in effect and we'll figure out if it's actually legal or not in a million years once a lawsuit makes it up here"
    If it's found to be illegal, since 5 SCOTUS members said "continue to crime" can they be tried and taken off the court? Like, please?

• Options
    Talking about whether some of the SCOTUS should be removed from the bench is more of a subject for the SCOTUS thread proper.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    The government is going with the trans equivalent of the old "it isn't a ban on gay people" garbage.

Attorney involved in trans rights legal work and advocacy:

Couscous on
  • Options
    Don't Ask Don't Tell, but worse in every way.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I did see a brief mention (SCOTUSBlog) that this may have only stayed the rulings in Washington and California, but not the Maryland injunction? Not sure how that would work unless someone missed it somewhere, but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Don't Ask Don't Tell, but worse in every way.

Remember

"Are you now or have you ever been.."?

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, this is a terrifying first step.

This has a broader social impact than many realize, too. Even at this stage. It's a clear indication of the direction the court wants to take. It's a clear statement that the institutions of America do not care to defend trans individuals.

It's horrifying to think of where this is heading. Like, I'm literally going to be losing sleep over this.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

This has a broader social impact than many realize, too. Even at this stage. It's a clear indication of the direction the court wants to take. It's a clear statement that the institutions of America do not care to defend trans individuals.

It's horrifying to think of where this is heading. Like, I'm literally going to be losing sleep over this.

Don't think too hard about RBG's recent ill-health either.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Ruling against the injunction does not necessarily suggest ruling in favor on the merits.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

Cool.

Cool cool cool.
    Jesus Christ I forgot about that, and it is most certainly not cool. Fuck.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

This isn't really a helpful sort of contribution.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

The idiocy of it is the part that gets me.

First, it was women. Then blacks. Then gays. Jews, Chinese, Native Americans too. The Irish and Italians at least got "white privilege" out of their societal integration, but that was opposed too.

It's just fucking crazy we get to do this all over again. And there might be setbacks. But these people need to know that eventually they will be vilified for their opposition to fair rights.

Yet they keep ringing that fucking bell, and screaming "I'm a fucking bigot!". Because despite the occasional setback, they have been losing for 100+ years.

I just empathize for the people who are going to be hurt in the meantime. I just hope the arc of moral history bends fast this time.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I did see a brief mention (SCOTUSBlog) that this may have only stayed the rulings in Washington and California, but not the Maryland injunction? Not sure how that would work unless someone missed it somewhere, but...

It looks like it lifted those stays
    A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit lifted Kollar-Kotelly's injunction earlier this month, concluding that the ban had been substantially revised by the time it was instituted by former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis in March 2018. But other federal courts had also ruled against the ban — and until Tuesday, those other injunctions remained in place.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Ruling against the injunction does not necessarily suggest ruling in favor on the merits.

It seems like a pretty big hint to allow the enforcement of a discriminatory policy while the court cases make their way through the system. It seems very likely to make its way to the Supreme Court in due time, and if they were going to strike it down it would make everybody's life easier if it was never implemented in the first place.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure what's actually happening here .

What's happening to currents trans service members ? Are they being discharged over this?

It's being tossed to lower courts, that means it can still be challenged correct? Is this a sign that if a challenge goes to scotus it will be 5-4?

I know this is bad, but I'm not sure of the implications going forward.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Yeah, if they discharge all currently known trans soldiers, and don't get around to letting them back in for another year or two until a court case works up, the ban will have already done its job. At that point even the ones that would still want to serve would've had to move on to other careers. And the ban probably dies in 2020 regardless of what the court does.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    I'm not even sure what's actually happening here .

What's happening to currents trans service members ? Are they being discharged over this?

It's being tossed to lower courts, that means it can still be challenged correct? Is this a sign that if a challenge goes to scotus it will be 5-4?

I know this is bad, but I'm not sure of the implications going forward.
    It's being challenged in the lower courts, and up until now no action against trans members could be taken. The lower courts can still decide that this is wrong and put a stop to this, but until that process is complete the SCOTUS gave Trump the okay to have the policy acted on in the meanwhile. Which means yes, trans service people can be discharged and those signing up to join can be rejected.

Henroid on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Everything I've read seems to indicate that those currently in the service who have already transitioned or are in the midst of transitioning may continue to serve.

But any transgendered person who wishes to enlist in the service going forward must enlist as either their biological sex or not at all.

RT800 on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

It's not a good sign, I'd say.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

No, but hope springs eternal.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So It Goes wrote: »

The government's arguments (in Karnoski, at least) had focused somewhat on attacking the plaintiffs standing by alleging (among other things) that current servicemembers wouldn't face harm because they would be given waivers. Hypothetically.

Even if the plaintiffs have a strong chance of winning, I am guessing this SCOTUS would be eager to defer to the DOD on anything national security related, and probably ate the fantasy of good-faith waivers right up, and decided that was enough of a safe guard to allow the obviously wrong thing to continue while the case plays out.

See also: the same exact thing in the god-damned travel ban case.

Fucking hell.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

And here I was thinking it was only seeing the Immigration thread pop up after a couple days without traffic, that threatened my physical well being.

That people willing to risk their lives in service to this country, and a President who used his position to avoid said risk, are being denied the opportunity to serve, makes me sick to my stomach.

I fucking HATE these guys. This isn't an argument over marginal tax rates, or the role of government, or what government should be paying. This is "You people make me feel icky and so I'm going to ruin your lives to make me feel better.". Fucking petty small-minded bigoted asshole pricks.

Stepping away from the internets now, before I say something I'll get justifiably pinged for.

I don't think the bold has it correct. I think it's actually "You people challenge traditional (white-straight-cis-dude centered) structures of power by nature of your existence and so I'm going to take away your right to exist." And, yes, there are a significant number of people in this country who want to take this forward through all of the darkest implications.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    MsAnthropy wrote: »

I don't think the bold has it correct. I think it's actually "You people challenge traditional (white-straight-cis-dude centered) structures of power by nature of your existence and so I'm going to take away your right to exist." And, yes, there are a significant number of people in this country who want to take this forward through all of the darkest implications.

There’s always at least one “political power” that exists for the preservation of traditional power structures so

Yes absolutely

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    MsAnthropy wrote: »

Eg: the vice President

• Options
    edited January 2019

Joshua Block is an attorney for the LGBT-focused wing of the ACLU.

I know a lot of gnashing of teeth is happening, deservedly, over the ruling because of Gorsch and Kavanaugh, but Joshua points out here that we can't forget that Thomas is also a piece of shit who doesn't care about conflicts of interest.

(Mods, if this better goes in the SCOTUS thread let me know and I'll put it over there.)

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Same thing has happened before with Thomas. His wife is a real piece of shit involved in a lot of really nasty lobbying work. It doesn't matter and he will never recuse himself because to the Right the SCOTUS is merely a tool to advance their regressive agenda.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    It's probably better in the SCOTUS thread as this is about Thomas and his long-gnashed-about conflicts of interest via his wife, more than it's about this specific ruling (he's the worst)