As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Washington] Politics

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    What the shit.

How the hell are those laws even remotely constitutional, especially considering it's the government requiring it?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    What the shit.

How the hell are those laws even remotely constitutional, especially considering it's the government requiring it?

They aren't I imagine, but its one of those "no one challenges this because the people making the oath need the money too much".

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    the only legislative record i could easily find is this joint memorandum condemning BDS. it looks like it's in committee and doesn't change any WA statutes

https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=4009&Year=2017

edit: it looks like the map referenced in that article comes from this advocacy group, Palestine Legal

https://palestinelegal.org/washington

Dehumanized on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I wouldn’t trust anything that comes from The Intercept.

Some evangelical wingnut like Matt Shea may have proposed such a measure, but I very much doubt it would get out of committee in our state.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i took a quick look and the non-binding memorandum is cosponsored by a lot of state democrats as well as republicans...

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I wouldn’t trust anything that comes from The Intercept.

Some evangelical wingnut like Matt Shea may have proposed such a measure, but I very much doubt it would get out of committee in our state.

26 states have some form of anti-BDS legislation, I wouldn't be too sure that Washington won't end up as number 27. It's got a lot of hot buttons and is really easy to spin in ways that most politicians don't want to be on the receiving end of.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    i took a quick look and the non-binding memorandum is cosponsored by a lot of state democrats as well as republicans...

Unfortunately, we as a country have somehow made support for Israel something that everyone has to agree with or they are terrorist supporters.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Brody wrote: »

Unfortunately, we as a country have somehow made support for Israel something that everyone has to agree with or they are terrorist supporters.

And anti-semites!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    Noted shitbag Mike Manweller has announced his intention to resign from the legislature effective Jan 14, which will allow the GOP rather than the voters to pick his replacement.

Manweller stands accused of several instances of sexual misconduct.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/as-he-promised-state-rep-matt-manweller-to-step-down-next-month-over-sexual-misconduct-allegations/

Noted shitbag Mike Manweller has announced his intention to resign from the legislature effective Jan 14, which will allow the GOP rather than the voters to pick his replacement.

Manweller stands accused of several instances of sexual misconduct.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/as-he-promised-state-rep-matt-manweller-to-step-down-next-month-over-sexual-misconduct-allegations/

Well to be fair that the voters in his district chose to support him at 61% after he was fired for being a predator doesn't exactly inspire confidence that they wouldn't have chosen any R that was on the ticket.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    “Murder insurance” policies that were marketed by the NRA in the past have been deemed illegal in the state of Washington, and the companies selling such policies will be fined.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jan/15/so-called-murder-insurance-policies-backed-by-the-/
    The agency reported 811 policies have been sold in Washington state, with $260,000 collected in premiums over the past two years; 255 of the policies later were canceled. The companies have received no claims since the program’s inception in April 2017. The Insurance Commissioner Office could not provide a more detailed breakdown Tuesday of where in the state the policies were sold.

What in the flipping fuck?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Well shoot, better cancel some murders then

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited January 2019
    It’s part of the paranoia that envelops gun culture. “What if some commie liberal DA decides to go after you for exercising your 2A rights? Buy this insurance to pay for your potential legal bills”.

The people selling them didn’t call it murder insurance obviously but that’s what it was for.

knitdan on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    It’s part of the paranoia that envelops gun culture. “What if some commie liberal DA decides to go after you for exercising your 2A rights? Buy this insurance to pay for your potential legal bills”.

The people selling them didn’t call it murder insurance obviously but that’s what it was for.

It's not like the anti-gun lobby hasn't talked about forcing gun owners to carry liability insurance for their firearms...this is basically just an extension of that (though tailored to a specific subset of gun owners). Not a fan, for the same reasons as everybody else, but this part kinda stuck out to me:
    The plans are in violation of state law because they could cover upfront expenses for mounting a criminal defense, even if the policyholder later pleads guilty to charges or is convicted, the Insurance Commissioner Office said in its news release announcing its decision.

I mean...good? Are we worried that this would allow people access to a competent and aggressive defense in a criminal trial who otherwise might not have access to one? That access to a competent attorney, and being able to make the decision of whether or not to entertain a plea bargain without having to worry about the devastating financial impact of going to trial, is some kind of grave injustice? I'd have to look further into the policy, for all I know it's pure snake oil, but this quote really rubs me the wrong way for some reason. Divorce it from the fact that we don't like people who concealed carry, and read it in the context of the generally broken US judicial system, and it's kinda gross.

I think the issue is you can’t insure unlawful activity, and if a defendant pleads guilty that’s an admission that their action was unlawful.

I’m not a lawyer so I don’t know what statute applies, but the fact that they singled that reason out suggests that it’s a particular sticking point with regard to the law.

I think the issue is you can’t insure unlawful activity, and if a defendant pleads guilty that’s an admission that their action was unlawful.

I’m not a lawyer so I don’t know what statute applies, but the fact that they singled that reason out suggests that it’s a particular sticking point with regard to the law.

Yeah, I get that, I guess I just don't agree with the underlying law. I can absolutely see not allowing insurance against civil damages arising from an unlawful activity, or fines, or the lost wages while in prison post-sentencing. But for some reason insuring against needing a criminal defense doesn't bother me, because sometimes people who are charged are innocent. It's a principle that bothers me regardless of the crime, and this kinda highlights a flaw in our criminal justice system as a whole.

Now, the fact that (to my knowledge) the only such insurance that exists was for dispensing vigilante justice? It bothers me marginally less. But the general idea of insuring against the potential to be caught up i the criminal justice system? I get it. I've been charged with a crime I was innocent of. My PD told me to plead out after meeting with me for like ninety seconds, because the risk wasn't worth it. I refused, went to court, and got it dropped. If I'd had insurance against criminal prosecution, if only to cover a vigorous defense by a lawyer who gave half a shit, I'd have been even less likely to plead out.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I’ve concluded that Tacoma is excellent fight me

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Nah, you've suffered enough.

<3

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

It's a fine place to grow up, raise a family, and retire. If you can find a well paying job there, it's probably a better place to live than Seattle, honestly.

Tacoma has a certain charm. Definitely beats the shit out of Bellevue. And honestly as the years go by Seattle loses its luster. I think I’m becoming an old man who hates change.

I've heard suggestions that Tacoma is becoming the new place for growth, where Seattle is oId, Bellevue is expensive, and Portland is in Oregon.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    *hears talk about places getting popular to move to, and sweats Bellingham-ily*

Honestly its great up here, we're a town of transplants at this point and things are hopping, tons of tech-manufacturing jobs, office work, academia, an oil refinery out of town, you name the industry we have some piece of it. Beer is really solid in terms of breweries/quality and the music scene plays pretty much non-stop.

But I know at some point greater Seattle will come for us too. I'm watching the slow creep up the I-5, awaiting the inevitable.

Nah, Everett is already basically Canada. Bellingham itself is only part of Washington because of an addressing error.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Good idea, you'll need the practice.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Nah, Everett is already basically Canada. Bellingham itself is only part of Washington because of an addressing error.
    I've heard suggestions that Tacoma is becoming the new place for growth, where Seattle is oId, Bellevue is expensive, Portland is in Oregon, and Bellingham is in Canada.

• MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I've heard suggestions that Tacoma is becoming the new place for growth, where Seattle is oId, Bellevue is expensive, Portland is in Oregon, and Bellingham is in Canada.

Where is the lime button when you need it? Its definitely more than a little Vancouver here, including housing prices! The affordability of the lower mainland housing market has been hitting us hard as Canadians realize its cheaper and sometimes faster to live stateside, have a Nexus pass, and only be 45 minutes or so from Vancouver proper. I bought a house a handful of years back and its been great for me, but it absolutely has been horrid for families trying to settle down.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

Where is the lime button when you need it? Its definitely more than a little Vancouver here, including housing prices! The affordability of the lower mainland housing market has been hitting us hard as Canadians realize its cheaper and sometimes faster to live stateside, have a Nexus pass, and only be 45 minutes or so from Vancouver proper. I bought a house a handful of years back and its been great for me, but it absolutely has been horrid for families trying to settle down.

It's pretty funny that people live in Bellingham to work in Vancouver and live in Vancouver to work in Portland.

That's a great to way to confuse someone who just moved here.

No one should live in vancouver washington. Its the buffer state part of our state.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    No one should live in vancouver washington. Its the buffer state part of our state.

It's absolutely the worst of all the Portland suburbs, that's for sure.

Hacksaw wrote: »

Anytime my work phone rings and I see "vancouver washington" I want to hang up proactively "No good can come from this."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Co-signing this as someone who grew up just outside of Portland's second-worst suburb (Gresham).

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    Bellingham is charming you all shut your mouth and also don't you dare move here.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Don’t worry most of us don’t have Canadian work visas so we can’t

Bellingham is charming you all shut your mouth and also don't you dare move here.

I mean really who's doing this.

I have to drive all the way to Everett, and then like another hour north.

What is Bellingham on the Moon??? No thanks.

Aioua wrote: »

I mean really who's doing this.

The failsons and faildaughters of rich Seattlites.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited January 2019
    Seriously though, that's why its impossible to rent a decent apartment on the south side of the city. No one can compete with the prospect of guaranteed rent payments with high turnover and low standards.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    The offer is still open for people to move to Spokane County

But I mean Kitsap County is right there...

Honestly its impressive that you managed to get this message out past its event horizon to begin with.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.