As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    In other cannabis-related news, someone at the CBC is having fun writing headlines

R1bfuDB.png

Starting to wonder how long it will take most of the provinces to do an about face and allow privatization at this point.

It's private here.... And they stopped issuing licenses because of the stock shortages.

This is what happens when you base your supply on a select few liberal friendly suppliers.

My understanding is that there are still a number of providers who sell to medicinal patients via online that have tons of stock due to not needing to meet the same demands as recreational cannabis.

It's something l need to look into in more detail but I'm sure I read something about that.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    How does the supply situation work in Canada now, anyway? Are there enough suppliers? Do the provinces manage the numbers individually? Why am I not working in the office doing administrative shit for a lucrative cannabis company instead?!

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    It's managed individually province to province from a recreational standpoint is my understanding.

When it comes to medicinal most people are still just ordering online and all gloves are off when it comes to that space.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I hope that someone from Health Canada is paying attention to this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/fluoride-tap-water1901124-1.4990257

The mayor of Windsor thinks that municipalities shouldn’t have the power to remove fluoride from their tap water. He has made this statement because children’s teeth are rotting right out of their fucking heads without water fluoridation.

My city in BC had a referendum about this four years ago spearheaded by the local woo-monger who runs the health food/catholic tchotchke stores. He also brought the father who killed his meningitis-afflicted son to town to hawk his wares after he was proven to be a negligent monster. Of course, the drooling homonculi here were all in on removing this dangerous chemical from our water because chemicals are bad, mm’kay?

My fingers are crossed.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

The mayor of Windsor thinks that municipalities shouldn’t have the power to remove fluoride from their tap water. He has made this statement because children’s teeth are rotting right out of their fucking heads without water fluoridation.

My city in BC had a referendum about this four years ago spearheaded by the local woo-monger who runs the health food/catholic tchotchke stores. He also brought the father who killed his meningitis-afflicted son to town to hawk his wares after he was proven to be a negligent monster. Of course, the drooling homonculi here were all in on removing this dangerous chemical from our water because chemicals are bad, mm’kay?

My fingers are crossed.

Hey, my neck of the woods getting some props in the Canada thread!

Yeah, Windsor caved to the crazies years ago and decided to inexplicably remove fluoride. Although they have decided to undo that decision, since two other nearby municipalities also get their water from Windsor, at least one of them needs to also get on board. Apparently there is a town hall meeting next week to discuss it in the nearby town and I guess it's already getting booked up with doctors and dentists likely representing the pro-fluoride side and all the internet researchers backing the other side. However, the mayor of the town is very pro-fluoride and the council there is smaller so I am expecting to hear good news in a few weeks.

It will still take a while to get it implemented apparently even if it does pass, but with three kids, I am all for anything that would help their long term health. We try to get them to brush everyday and they generally do a good job, but why would you turn down something that has been shown to work very effectively over decades?

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    BC also doesn't have flouride, and every time I go to the dentist they go "Oh you grew up somewhere where they have flouride in the water. Your teeth aren't complete shit" and it makes me angry that we don't flouridate every time that happens.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    BC also doesn't have flouride, and every time I go to the dentist they go "Oh you grew up somewhere where they have flouride in the water. Your teeth aren't complete shit" and it makes me angry that we don't flouridate every time that happens.

I was so confused when I moved here and the dentist told me there's no flouride in the water. Like, what year is it?

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Calgary removed flouride from the water 5 or 6 years ago. I read an article a few months ago that council was working at restoring flouride to water because the number of under 5 kids with cavities skyrocketed.

hooooooodathunk?

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

Nova_C wrote: »
    Calgary removed flouride from the water 5 or 6 years ago. I read an article a few months ago that council was working at restoring flouride to water because the number of under 5 kids with cavities skyrocketed.

hooooooodathunk?

Hmmm fluoride removed.. and a couple years later the NDP won the province. Its obvious they want it back so the conservative mind control drugs can start taking effect again.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    There was a group that tried to have fluoride removed from the water in Halifax a few years ago. Fortunately the reaction from the mayor and council basically amounted to, "Um, no?".

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I still remain slightly dubious as to its effects. Not the direct effects, of course fluoride in water works. But more the amount of tap water we consume nowadays. With bottled water and all manner of carbonated drinks, I'm really curious how much we actually drink. I've thought about it, and embarrassingly the only thing with tap water I regularly consume these days is probably a cup of coffee a day. Maybe the occasional bottle of chilled green tea. I'm also assuming its effects in cooking is negligible. I obviously need a pot of water to boil the box of KD, but I'm assuming the macaroni doesn't absorb any fluoride in the process. Unless it actually does, then... cool!

It's one of those things that I know works and we should absolutely keep doing it, but I don't quite know how exactly it works, and if it's at all effective today as it once was. I'm just trying to picture how much tap water actually goes against my teeth in a given day, and it's... not much.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I still remain slightly dubious as to its effects. Not the direct effects, of course fluoride in water works. But more the amount of tap water we consume nowadays. With bottled water and all manner of carbonated drinks, I'm really curious how much we actually drink. I've thought about it, and embarrassingly the only thing with tap water I regularly consume these days is probably a cup of coffee a day. Maybe the occasional bottle of chilled green tea. I'm also assuming its effects in cooking is negligible. I obviously need a pot of water to boil the box of KD, but I'm assuming the macaroni doesn't absorb any fluoride in the process. Unless it actually does, then... cool!

It's one of those things that I know works and we should absolutely keep doing it, but I don't quite know how exactly it works, and if it's at all effective today as it once was. I'm just trying to picture how much tap water actually goes against my teeth in a given day, and it's... not much.

But you are assuming you are the norm. Bottled water, pop etc costs money. Tap water is “free”

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

But you are assuming you are the norm. Bottled water, pop etc costs money. Tap water is “free”

I only pretty much drink tap water at home.

We have some of the best water in the world.... Seems weird to pay for it.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular

My fingers are crossed.

Oh hey, we're in the same city.

I took a lot of satisfaction from that guy utterly failing in his city council bid last year.
    I can only hope that the city eventually restores the fluoride after realizing they shouldn't have taken health advice from the guy that sells cancer-fighting ultra molecule pills at his store.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    DYWWpX7h.png
    Text:
    Two men behind a free newspaper that promoted legalizing rape and denied the Holocaust occurred were found guilty on Thursday of promoting hatred against women and Jews.

In delivering his decision in the case of James Sears and LeRoy St. Germaine, Ontario Court of Justice Judge Richard Blouin called evidence of their guilt overwhelming.

Sears, 55, the editor in chief and St. Germaine, 77, the publisher, had argued Your Ward News was meant to be satire, but Blouin found nothing funny about their views. If what they were doing didn't amount to wilful hate promotion, the judge said, nothing would.

"YWN repeatedly and consistently dehumanized Jews and women," Blouin said in his ruling. "Both men were fully aware of the unrelenting promotion of hate."

The men, who will have a sentencing hearing April 26, face a maximum six months in custody and/or $5,000 in fines for each of two counts of wilfully inciting hatred against an identifiable group.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/your-ward-promoting-hate-1.4990806

RIP James Sears aka Dimitri the Lover aka:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpCNrtD69D0

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

What do you drink?

Just drink tap water. It is surprisingly easy.

Most carbonated drinks are horrible for you. In moderation they are fine, but they shouldn't be the main drinks you are consuming.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Most bottled water is tap water for all practical purposes as well, so there's that too.

Also: huzzah for that conviction. Sears is garbage even by the standards of alt-right and alt-right-adjacent fuckheads. Imagine being so bigoted you're banned from the mail.

(And what is it with frothing antisemites comparing themselves to Jesus when they get in trouble? I wonder who gets to tell him about that?)

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

What do you drink?

Most carbonated drinks are horrible for you. In moderation they are fine, but they shouldn't be the main drinks you are consuming.

Ironically, the two things I drink almost exclusively are tap water, and carbonated water.
    Does anyone remember that episode of This Is That where they parodied a small southern town that was putting sugar in their water supply to get people to drink more? Actually, that's always really easy to google, so here's a link if you haven't enjoyed this previously.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

What do you drink?

Ironically, the two things I drink almost exclusively are tap water, and carbonated water.
    Does anyone remember that episode of This Is That where they parodied a small southern town that was putting sugar in their water supply to get people to drink more? Actually, that's always really easy to google, so here's a link if you haven't enjoyed this previously.

See the error there was going with sugar water and not the logical water alternative Gatorade. It's got Electrolytes don't ya know.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

What do you drink?

See the error there was going with sugar water and not the logical water alternative Gatorade. It's got Electrolytes don't ya know.

It's what plants crave.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Welp, McCallum got fired for flapping his gums over the Meng case. I can't believe he opened his yap about that and said what he did.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Welp, McCallum got fired for flapping his gums over the Meng case. I can't believe he opened his yap about that and said what he did.

He kinda had it coming.

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »

He kinda had it coming.

Yeah.

JT had no choice but to fire him.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »

I was so confused when I moved here and the dentist told me there's no flouride in the water. Like, what year is it?

Trying to even find fluoridated toothpaste for my toddler is a pain in the ass too!

:so_raven:
  • Options

I still don't understand why we arrested somebody on an extradition request for violating sanctions we don't endorse. But I can say that because I'm not the ambassador to China.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

I still don't understand why we arrested somebody on an extradition request for violating sanctions we don't endorse. But I can say that because I'm not the ambassador to China.

I think the actual charge was some form of bank fraud. Where the company said the accounts were for something definitely not-Iran related, and then they were used for things Iran related. Or something like that. A bit of hair splitting, but lawyering type stuff can be like that.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

I think the actual charge was some form of bank fraud. Where the company said the accounts were for something definitely not-Iran related, and then they were used for things Iran related. Or something like that. A bit of hair splitting, but lawyering type stuff can be like that.

And legally we were kinda backed into a corner. If the USA issues a warrant we have many treaties that kind of force our hand.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The process to determine if Meng will be extracted or not has not really started yet.
    The actual charges are going to be evaluated soon, but all that was done before was simply preventing her from leaving the country until the hearing.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, and I do think China is being exceptionally shitty to be putting Canada exclusively in its crosshairs when the ultimate responsibility is with the USA. On the other hand, it's probably a lot safer for the world as a whole.

Still, with the way the US is going right now I have to hope somebody is thinking about the implications of our extradition treaties. There are states passing some really scary anti-abortion laws, and I don't think it's a stretch to see the current US Feds supporting those laws... particularly if Trump is impeached and Pence becomes prez. Would we be comfortable extraditing a woman on murder charges for coming up here to have an abortion?

It's the same conundrum with the Safe Third Country Agreement. What do you do when you have such close ties with a powerful nation that takes a sudden political turn away from international law and/or the human rights that your country espouses? So far it feels like the Trudeau government is holding onto their butts and hoping things will change, but what if they get worse? Do we have a strategic Handmaid's Tale plan? Maybe we need one.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Yeah, and I do think China is being exceptionally shitty to be putting Canada exclusively in its crosshairs when the ultimate responsibility is with the USA. On the other hand, it's probably a lot safer for the world as a whole.

Still, with the way the US is going right now I have to hope somebody is thinking about the implications of our extradition treaties. There are states passing some really scary anti-abortion laws, and I don't think it's a stretch to see the current US Feds supporting those laws... particularly if Trump is impeached and Pence becomes prez. Would we be comfortable extraditing a woman on murder charges for coming up here to have an abortion?

It's the same conundrum with the Safe Third Country Agreement. What do you do when you have such close ties with a powerful nation that takes a sudden political turn away from international law and/or the human rights that your country espouses? So far it feels like the Trudeau government is holding onto their butts and hoping things will change, but what if they get worse? Do we have a strategic Handmaid's Tale plan? Maybe we need one.

Not to mention that countries like Turkey and Russia already abuse international warrants in this way.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    We should also reconsider our extradition treaty with China, given the obvious lack of rule of law in their judicial system they are currently demonstrating.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    They aren't supposed to use fluorine until they learn not to swallow because too much is bad for them including paradoxically for their teeth.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

Was listening to CBC radio today, and they were discussing this.

Apparently the first step in the extradition process is to review the crime they're being extradited for and checking if it would be illegal in Canada. My understanding is that for something like having an abortion, being gay, etc that Canada would never approve the extradition, because that is something that is legal here.

Meng is being charged on a bunch of fraud related charges that are probably also illegal here, so that won't be an issue in this case regardless.

• Options
    El Skid wrote: »

Was listening to CBC radio today, and they were discussing this.

Apparently the first step in the extradition process is to review the crime they're being extradited for and checking if it would be illegal in Canada. My understanding is that for something like having an abortion, being gay, etc that Canada would never approve the extradition, because that is something that is legal here.

Meng is being charged on a bunch of fraud related charges that are probably also illegal here, so that won't be an issue in this case regardless.

I'm not really worried about actual extradition in those cases, even if the Conservatives get elected, since the courts would stop it.
    I'm more worried about harrassment, and false accusations. Clearing an unjustified warrant still takes time, and money.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm very worried that the US is trumping up charges and using Canada to do their dirty work arresting Meng.

I think that would be a very bad precedent for the US to set though. And I'm sure we'll do our best to make sure the evidence is proper before we let the US have her.

That's all we can really do... Though the way China is arresting/sentencing Canadians is really appalling, and I hope they realize that they are not helping themselves on the world stage doing this.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm very worried that the US is trumping up charges and using Canada to do their dirty work arresting Meng.

I think that would be a very bad precedent for the US to set though. And I'm sure we'll do our best to make sure the evidence is proper before we let the US have her.

That's all we can really do... Though the way China is arresting/sentencing Canadians is really appalling, and I hope they realize that they are not helping themselves on the world stage doing this.

Agreed. Except that I don't think China gives a shit if this makes them look bad on the world stage. They'd rather protect one of their most prominent citizens.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Agreed. Except that I don't think China gives a shit if this makes them look bad on the world stage. They'd rather protect one of their most prominent citizens.

Chinese policy, foreign and domestic, is taking a turn for the belligerently anti-foreigner too these days for various reasons. They are flexing their muscles in ways they wouldn't have like 5 years ago.

• Options
    It just seems like a weird thing to do... they’re trying to get everyone to let their company get in on 5G and arguing that this company isn’t controlled by the government...while getting super in your face with everyone about defending the company’s executive. Bizarre

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Chinese policy, foreign and domestic, is taking a turn for the belligerently anti-foreigner too these days for various reasons. They are flexing their muscles in ways they wouldn't have like 5 years ago.

We gots three big superpowers and the other two don't exactly have a lot of moral high ground right now.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

We gots three big superpowers and the other two don't exactly have a lot of moral high ground right now.

I have no idea wtf you are talking about here. China is changing up it's game, mostly likely (from what I've read anyway) due to Xi Jinping consolidating power and as a reaction to the cooling economy.

This discussion has been closed.