As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yeah, realizing that I should probably not be adding every card I find went a long way towards improving the consistency of my runs.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Had a 3-Glacier Defect deck with pretty good amount of focus and other block, having swapped Strike for Bite, and otherwise everything looking cool going into the Heart last night.

Want to guess how many Glaciers I drew in the first 3 turns in a 20-card deck? :|

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Yeah, realizing that I should probably not be adding every card I find went a long way towards improving the consistency of my runs.

Sometimes the card rewards are all bad to middling, and I never want to leave empty handed, so I always pick something. Not picking anything/using that relic that lets you get Max 2 HP instead of getting a card is probably a higher level strat than I'm used to.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Sometimes the card rewards are all bad to middling, and I never want to leave empty handed, so I always pick something. Not picking anything/using that relic that lets you get Max 2 HP instead of getting a card is probably a higher level strat than I'm used to.

In the first half of the first floor, better than nothing is valid. How much longer that's true depends on a lot of factors but often you're slowing down or reducing the odds of seeing your good pickups with mediocre ones past about 20 cards.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

In the first half of the first floor, better than nothing is valid. How much longer that's true depends on a lot of factors but often you're slowing down or reducing the odds of seeing your good pickups with mediocre ones past about 20 cards.

Yeah, that's a good point. The first few floors, you really want to get some non-Strike Attack cards into your deck so that you have any chance at taking Act 1 Elites (which you want to do if you can).

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Coincidentally, I feel like that's where I run into the most trouble as Ironclad. If you haven't found a good source of damage or block, I feel like I can't do crap by the end of Act 1 and it snowballs badly from there. I rarely feel the same issues with Silent or Defect.

edited January 2019
    I may right now be running the stupidest, most gimmicky deck I've ever made ...
    eibdk8pcvk13.jpg

Two Armaments and a Searing Blow, along with a bit of exhaustion. The kicker is that I've happened to snag a demon form and limit break, so if I had ... you know ... a better deck in any way ... this would probably be a lot better. :P

[Edit]
    Ha, I actually made it ...
    I had the Awakened One for Act 3 and 2-shot it after he awakened. Uppercut for 150ish + searing blow for 250. :P
    5jwu4oy3lt4g.png

ArcticLancer on
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Decided that I should give killing the Heart a try, how hard can it be right? I'll just make a great Silent poison deck with some Catalysts and After Image, that should take care of that.

And .. uh .. then the game gives me just what I want. With a side order of Chemical X with Doppelganger, Skewers and a Terror because why not. Sure it was just A0 but that was still hilariously easy. :P

I'll have to bookmark this post and come read it whenever I wonder where I wasted all my luck.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Hey this game is officially out today.

Is there any benefit to killing the empowered elite if you're not looking for the keys?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Hey this game is officially out today.

Is there any benefit to killing the empowered elite if you're not looking for the keys?

Pride?

It does still give a Relic, so if it's the only Elite on your path and you think you can take it, that'd be worthwhile still.

Steam profile
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I'm starting to feel like if I don't get a usable energy relic at the end of act 1 I might as well concede the run right there.

edited January 2019
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel like if I don't get a usable energy relic at the end of act 1 I might as well concede the run right there.

I've won a lot of runs without that on decently high Ascensions (15+). I'm not at A20 though, if that's where you are. I did an A0 Heart kill the other night with only 3 mana ever.

4 mana is great and super valuable, but it's not required. Never skip the Boss Relic though.

kime on
    Steam profile
    Nah I'm not up to A20 yet. Currently stuck on A3 with ironclad but admittedly trying some janky builds and not getting good act 1 boss relics. My last run my choices for the act 1 boss relics were:

+1 energy, can no longer see enemy intents,
    fight rewards always include a potion, or
    the next two elites drop two relics.

What's the pick here?

Nah I'm not up to A20 yet. Currently stuck on A3 with ironclad but admittedly trying some janky builds and not getting good act 1 boss relics. My last run my choices for the act 1 boss relics were:

What's the pick here?

I wouldn't take the first one, Runic Dome. I'm not good enough to be able to play without seeing Intents. Top-level streamers would be more likely to take it since they know the patterns a lot better than I do.

The White Elephant (the potion one) is entirely a net good. It lets you use potions frivolously, which can greatly reduce the complexity of many fights. It's not quite as strong as other Boss Relics, but it's good with absolutely no downside. You will get value from it (unless you like, die on the next fight). It's the safest pick.

I think the third is Black Star, but that applies to all future Elites, not just the next two. Has it changed? I don't think there would be a similar Relic that is just objectively worse. Anyways, Black Star is good too, but harder to get the value from it. Honestly, Act 2 Elites are pretty scary imo. Probably depends on how strong you think your current Deck/Relics are at this point. It can be a good pick, but it's more situational and risky.

So I'd probably go with the Elephant. I've definitely picked that before on winning runs. Just start to manage which potions you save vs use as you approach an Elite or Boss so you don't go up against The Champ with 3 Explosive Potions or whatnot :P

However, you're right in that these aren't the ideal Boss Relic options. Better than Tiny House or something though! :D

Steam profile
    The first time I saw Tiny House I was like "wow, that's amazing! It does all the things!"

Then the next time I saw it I was like "geez, none of these things are useful."

You're right btw, it was Black Star and it applies to all future elites, not just the next two. I don't remember whether I took that or White Elephant but I didn't make it past act 2 that time.

Black Star is a trap (for me personally). I'll be all "now I have to fight ALL THE ELITES and just think of the massive value!!!"

Then I die horribly

Steam profile
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Weird, possibly buggy(?), interaction I noticed today. I was lucky enough to get the mummified hand, which states that it changes the cost of a card to 0 *for the turn* after playing a power card. However, after playing a card that had its cost reduced to 0, I tried using hologram to recover it to play it again, and it showed up in the discard selection pile as back to its original cost, even though it was on the same turn. Is this something that others have noticed?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Weird, possibly buggy(?), interaction I noticed today. I was lucky enough to get the mummified hand, which states that it changes the cost of a card to 0 *for the turn* after playing a power card. However, after playing a card that had its cost reduced to 0, I tried using hologram to recover it to play it again, and it showed up in the discard selection pile as back to its original cost, even though it was on the same turn. Is this something that others have noticed?

I've complained about that multiple times in this thread, yeah.

ugh

I'm playing some A0 runs just to kill the Heart for fun. I waited till Act 3 to get the Fire Elite, and just accidentally took the wrong path and now I can't get it :(. Just have to hope I get the Wing Shoes in the next three floors or so lol

Anyways it's funny how much difficult Ascension adds. Going back to A0 is such a big change.

Steam profile
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Really not true. I've won with multiple 3 energy decks. It's probably the hardest to do on Ironclad (lots of potent high energy cards, very few ways to break your energy generation that enables though - Corruption is the eaisest option, but dosent help you play powers). Defect has the easiest time as it's got the best ways to break energy (Plasma, Double Energy, Recycle (recycle + snecko eye/X cost cards paritucrly), Aggreate etc). Silent's somewhere in the middle - she dosent have a lot of ways to break it, but she dosent exactly need a lot either.

Some random notes on boss relics:

Snecko Eye is the strongest boss relic there is, by a mile. It's only bad if you have a lot of 0 cost cards, and sometimes bad if you're using a Orange Pellets based stratergy. Otherwise, it's bonkers. Basically an auto-take.

Black Star is somewhere in between a win-more and a gamble for more power. Can be the right choice, as getting 3+ extra relics in a floor can be huge.

Tiny House is not amazing... but it's never actually bad either. It does enough different things to be surprisingly strong.

Astrolabe is basically amazing. Best read as "Turn 3 strikes into way better cards".

Orrey's pretty useful to help hunt for a specific card, or fill out your deck if you need more power - it's as good as winning 5 fights in a row, basically.

Cursed Bell is real bad unless you have Blue Candle. Cursed Key is likewise awful - Curses SUCK to have in your deck, and giving up relics to avoid getting curses really hurts. Ectoplasm and Sozu are pretty painful too, but not the worst - Sometimes your deck really needs the four energy.

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    It's funny to hear you say that since I generally considered cursed key to be the easiest +energy relic to mitigate and have won a lot of my runs with it. XD
    (But I'm still somewhere around A11/12/9 for the three classes, so I know nothing)

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    You know plenty!

It's just a20 at least, Card Draw/Card Quality is one of hte biggest factors in your deck. And Cursed Key actively makes both of those worse. Not only that, but it hurts you for getting relics (Which you want as many as you can, because that's greater odds you hit the relic that's super powerful with your deck), and it hurts your gold useage (You're probably spending it all on removing curses, which means less removing Strikes, whcih are awful, and less having cahs to buy shiny relics like Chemical X, or that last card your deck really needed).

It's a reverse tiny house really - it's impacts are subtle, but they're extensive. Most of the other energy relics are a lot more binary, and a lot easier to build around.

Except Runic Dome, which is awful and should be removed from the game, and sent to the relic hall of shame for being awful and unfun. (it knows what it did)

(What it did was be awful)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Black Star is a trap (for me personally). I'll be all "now I have to fight ALL THE ELITES and just think of the massive value!!!"

Then I die horribly

Black star always bugged me because it does absolutely nothing until after you kill the next elite in the following act. I think boss relics should have a bit more immediacy than that.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Black Star is mainly a trap because of how fucking brutal the Act 2 Elites are.

Maybe I just really like hoping to find Ju-ju doll? :D

On a pleasant note, I thought to go achievement hunting and pulled off Common Sense with Silent. I did not think the key play I would make was buying a strawberry, but ending the run on 2 life says otherwise.
    I picked up the kite and leaned into Sneaky Strike, otherwise grabbing Backflips/Acrobatics/Block/Poison. It was pretty tame except for getting the Time Eater for a final boss, because _of course._

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Act 2 elites are bad but it's mostly those damn triple slavers

Their damage output is crazy and they don't give you time to scale

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    It's funny to hear you say that since I generally considered cursed key to be the easiest +energy relic to mitigate and have won a lot of my runs with it. XD
    (But I'm still somewhere around A11/12/9 for the three classes, so I know nothing)

Cursed key is best at the end of act 2 or if you have omamori. You arent likely to find a question mark chest so it is only 1 curse, and if you plan the path well you can remove it or if you have exhaust cards it is only bad for 1 round. Plus sometimes it gives you injury or better clumsy. If you get pain you're in trouble though.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

What's the pick here?

No longer seeing enemy intents is bad, but sometimes it is less bad. Basically, if you're deck always wants to do one thing then it is takeable. Blockgain bodyslam builds it is probably the most takeable in. Not great though, especially at high ascension where the patterns are harder.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
    I never take Snecko Eye. Not because it's not good but because I don't like adding more RNG into the game (from a "fun" perspective)

Steam profile
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Turn your back on Snecko at your peril.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
    Is that the one that confuses you? Confusion is the worst.

steam_sig.png

Yes, you start each combat Confused, and draw 2 (?) extra cards per turn.

It's definitely a good Relic, I just don't like it.

Steam profile
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular

Counterpoint: Suffer is the worst.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

It used to be just confusion, I think, but now it's confusion and +2 card draw every turn which by itself would probably be one of the best relics in the game.

I got my first Asc 20 win last night with defect snecko eye and mummified hand + 2 echo forms deck. Barely beat the first boss, time eater, with 4hp remaining cause I couldn't play my entire deck every turn.

Beat decu and donu for second boss only taking 2 damage cause I could play my entire deck every turn.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    If you go by spirelogs data, Snecko Eye is objectively the best relic in the game for Ironclad and Defect in terms of winrate, and it's not particularly close (Silent is another story, understandably). That said, I still hesitate to pick it in a lot of runs because I also get paranoid about being RNG-hosed. Apparently I need to treat this game more like real life and just get over myself and embrace confusion.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    There are a bunch of things that can mostly remove the RNG hosing from snecko eye

Enlightment
    Bullet Time
    Mummified hand
    Reprogram

Plus things that let you draw cards at their regular cost every turn

Hello World
    Magnetic

Probably other things I'm not thinking of right now

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    The thing with Snecko Eye is that it’s great with 2 cost and 3 cost cards, obviously, but that it’s not as bad as you think with 1 cost cards: they become worse only 50% of the time. AND you get to draw 2 free cards every single turn, which means 2 more chances to roll discounted cards.

It tends to be best if you pick it up in Act 1, since you get two Acts worth of card rewards to tailor to the confusion effect, but it’s so good that it’s not unreasonable to grab it in Act 2 sometimes.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    This thing is out of early access? I havent played it since before the third class was added. I should hop in and see what's new.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    shalmelo wrote: »
    If you go by spirelogs data, Snecko Eye is objectively the best relic in the game for Ironclad and Defect in terms of winrate, and it's not particularly close (Silent is another story, understandably). That said, I still hesitate to pick it in a lot of runs because I also get paranoid about being RNG-hosed. Apparently I need to treat this game more like real life and just get over myself and embrace confusion.

Yeah I'm sorta gathering that I've been playing the game wrong for a while now. Might explain all the losses.

steam_sig.png

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

Embrace the snecko.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve