As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MMA]Break a leg!

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Jon Jones fucked up and tested positive again, the state won't sanction the fight, the whole card for this Saturday is now moving states and the rest of the talent are just now being informed via the ESPN report on Twitter

Gus is in the middle of a flight and literally doesn't have cell reception yet, might not find out till tomorrow

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    So for someone who hears a lot of news about MMA and doesn't really follow it that much, the UFC is really shit right now, right?

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I'll take that as a yes.

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    The latest that I had on this is its actually a residual result from his previous 2017 positive and there is no indication that he actually doped again.

edited December 2018
    The latest that I had on this is its actually a residual result from his previous 2017 positive and there is no indication that he actually doped again.

Nope

Didn't show up on any of his previous tests before this one either, too. So basically they're lying to cover for Jones. Again. Again again again if we're being completely accurate here (I might be missing another "again", even I've lost track at this point of his second chances)

Sweeney Tom on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

Nope

Didn't show up on any of his previous tests before this one either, too. So basically they're lying to cover for Jones. Again. Again again again if we're being completely accurate here (I might be missing another "again", even I've lost track at this point of his second chances)

hahaha. So my streak of not buying ppvs continues. What a joke.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It only lasts weeks. This is bullshit

Gus is our only hope. Just say no. Let there be an investigation.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular

Nope

I stand wholeheartedly corrected. Jesus tapdancing Christ.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

His post Gus fight test showed trace as well.

L-O-L....

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I am... shocked... totally shocked...

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I am... shocked... totally shocked...

The guy who wrote the ESPN article is already responding with "pulsing!" excuse on twitter heh.

Jubal77 on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I haven't watched UFC in a good bit now. I probably won't watch until Rose's next fight in May or unless someone else interesting comes along. Watching Anderson Silva fight again might be good, but he didn't look great last time I watched him.

Just rip Jones' belt already. This is nonsense.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    cejudo is interesting, especially what hes doing to dfw's plans to close 125

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Dana was so angry that he didn't get to end the flyweight division because the guy he tapped to do the job got made to look like a chump. It was great.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I love that Cejudo's post fight interview basically told Dana to suck shit and that he couldn't just get rid of the division. Very smart move.

• NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Not sure of interest outside of MMA, but there's a live stream going on of a full contact Karate format going on right now and I think for about one more hour at karate.com.

Also Bas Rutten is a commentator so expect some baddum baddum baddush bam.

NSDFRand on
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So I'm a little torn on the whole pulsing issue. I did a little reading on the subject when it was first discussed and while pulsing is something that has been seen in other metabolites, the science behind it is largely unconfirmed and more importantly has never been scientifically documented for the specific metabolites that Jones has been caught with. As such I am extremely dubious on those claims and any "scientist" making them is either undeserving of their title or is acting in bad faith.

On the other hand, with the timing of the tests that have been performed on Jones, it seems that at least medium term metabolites should have shown up in the tests. The caveat to this though being that perhaps the tests being run are unreliable. Either in their nature, due to human "error" or if Jones has access to something that can mask them.

Aside from all of this Jones definitely took steroids at some point and the only reason he's back fighting now is that he's ratting out on someone else. Dude's an absolute scumbag.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Not sure of interest outside of MMA, but there's a live stream going on of a full contact Karate format going on right now and I think for about one more hour at karate.com.

Also Bas Rutten is a commentator so expect some baddum baddum baddush bam.

Yeah I saw a clip of it. I'd have to look more into the ruleset to see what differentiates it from MMA. It looked like they allow some ground n' pound but no actual ground work? Also, I have to say I really, really like the slanted walls instead of fencing/ropes.

Johnny Walker is my favorite fighter now. That fight was fucking awesome. He's so exciting to watch.

• LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Johnny Walker is my favorite fighter now. That fight was fucking awesome. He's so exciting to watch.

Where has he been fighting that his first instinct when seeing his opponent on hands and knees is to soccer kick him in the face?

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    I'm only a bit into it but man, crazy stuff, thought you guys might want to check it out.

Also is the current state of MMA as bad as it feels like? I just remember when this was all so active and there was so much hype over the UFC and now everything just seems kinda blahhhhhh

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    The Fertitta bros were the real power behind the scenes before IMG bought the UFC. The product crested with them and has since gone flat. Dana is just a goofy front man, IMG is clueless about anything that isn't super duper obvious, and now that UFC is beholden to investors money has to be the top priority.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Just a shame man, I miss the days of the Beel Deal.

I'm only a bit into it but man, crazy stuff, thought you guys might want to check it out.

Also is the current state of MMA as bad as it feels like? I just remember when this was all so active and there was so much hype over the UFC and now everything just seems kinda blahhhhhh

Too many shows stop any one from being filled with a bunch of exciting fights is the biggest problem. All the fighters are pretty similar and UFC does a bad job of promoting them, which maybe ESPN can help with now that they are working together. There are fighters with awesome backstories that UFC should be able to capitalize on but don't. Get a 30 for 30 team to follow a fight camp before a show and put together something and you'll get compelling tv and make people interested in a fighter.

Also a lot of fighters have established their name and brand and kind of go into fights a little more cautiously as they don't want to lose their ranking and want to stay near the top to get title shots.

• Yes, and...Yes, and... Registered User regular
    I think the problem is oversaturation more than anything. There are so many events and so many fighters that so much MMA just blurs together, especially with the UFC. There's a ton going on that's actually exciting and compelling but you either need to wade through tons of filler and ignore all of the stupid crap that's going on, or just follow it casually and catch highlights after the fact.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    UFC relied on the WWE marketing strategy to get where they're at, and have no idea what to do other than that. They refuse to help their fighters market themselves because they also rely on the WWE labor strategy of "LOL FUCK YOU". So all you have left are the fighters who know how to market themselves with gimmicks and promos and the old legends who should frankly be retired but have to keep fighting to pay for their medical bills because of all their brain damage.

I really want to love MMA but honestly the sport itself is atrocious and I have a hard time supporting it nowadays. There isn't a fighters' union, the regulatory bodies are almost entirely captured by the industry (let alone what passes for regulation outside of the U.S.), and all we get in terms of "big" fights are the same rehashed shit over and over again.

• DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    There was a time when I rabidly consumed all things UFC, WEC, Strikeforce... but my interest fell off pretty hard in recent years.

I hate how belts literally mean nothing, as interim titles are created at the drop of a hat.

champs.jpg

This pic represents the golden era in my opinion. Then McGregor showed up, and while his rise to the top was electric, he changed the face of MMA, and mostly for the worse.

The requirement to self promote and talk trash or be left in the dust is pretty much his doing. Did y'all catch the lead up to Cowboy's last fight? The young buck he was facing off against was talking MAAAAAAD shit and it was pretty obvious what he was trying to do. Then Cowboy head kicked him...

• Yes, and...Yes, and... Registered User regular
    Yeah, it was great! And that's the thing about MMA these days, there are all of the issues that Inquisitor77 mentioned (and then some!) that make following the sport depressing, but every so often something just clicks and those moments keep drawing me back in.

Yeah I follow it less and just have trouble caring about it. Following jiujitsu a good bit and training a lot but when people talk UFC and MMA in general lately I just kinda tune out.
    So many of the top stars have either failed drug tests or done really shitty things it's gotten tougher to root for some of them.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Chael Sonnen was the best mna
    Followed by Bobbu sappu

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Followed by Bobbu sappu

watching 260lb frank mir, fresh off a motorcycle accident, wondering if he was gonna pull off a rolling kneebar or a flying armbar before whatever yoked up brazilian or russian would mush in his dumb, can't-box face

*wistful sigh*

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Don't worry, Askren's UFC debut is rapidly approaching. We'll bounce back once we get more funk in our lives.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    I miss the old Pride glory days. When the Heavyweight division was just a bunch of wars between Fedor, Cro-Cop, Josh Barnett, Nogueira, Mark Hunt, et. al. Sprinkled with the guys who would run around different weight classes like Wandy and Overeem.

Nobody appreciates Fedor in his prime.

/sigh

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I miss the old Pride glory days. When the Heavyweight division was just a bunch of wars between Fedor, Cro-Cop, Josh Barnett, Nogueira, Mark Hunt, et. al. Sprinkled with the guys who would run around different weight classes like Wandy and Overeem.

Nobody appreciates Fedor in his prime.

/sigh

One of my fondest memories of watching fights was seeing Fedor throw that haymaker to Arlovski, live. Although I do feel bad for the guy in the 3rd row that needed Jack Burton like reflexes to not have Andrei's head collide with his face:

https://youtu.be/tPGFpi5qnVM

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    I was at that match.

RIP Affliction

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Followed by Bobbu sappu

watching 260lb frank mir, fresh off a motorcycle accident, wondering if he was gonna pull off a rolling kneebar or a flying armbar before whatever yoked up brazilian or russian would mush in his dumb, can't-box face

*wistful sigh*

I loved Frank Mir. My friend is really into UFC and Frank was his idol for a good while. Then Frank started his lose streak and it was bad.

If "peak Bellator" can be summed up in one image, it has to be Fight of the Year Matt Mitrione's 15-second one-groin-kick classic against Sergei Kharitonov just now