As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South BYOC 2019 Mega Thread

Platypus KingPlatypus King Registered User regular
edited January 2019 in PAX South
EDIT: All pictures for our tournament winners can be found at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JLJi8AQ_z7GLFF231LADdG3BeNUdQTP5. Congrats to all of you guys!!!

Hello all!

Platypus King here to just notify you... PAX South is quickly approaching, I apologize for how late this thread is going up! Time to get some seating charts going, and any requests for activities this year can also be posted in this thread. I will be checking it multiple times a day until PAX is upon us!

BYOC Badges are (as of now) still available and can be purchased from here:
https://showclix.com/event/paxsouthbyoc9fvzv2kr8

Group Seating Details:
GROUP SEATING OPEN DATE: TODAY!
GROUP SEATING CLOSE DATE: January 17th at midnight PDT

Group Seating Requirements:
  • Your party is considered a group if you have SIX or more people.
  • Groups must pre-register seating assignments prior to PAX, or else seats will be based on first come first serve availability.
  • Requests are taken on a first come, first serve basis.
  • Passes for ALL 3 days of PAX! (recommended to maximize fun, but not a hard requirement)
  • If you have multiple BYOC badges, those count as seats (group members) so if you have 6 BYOC passes in your "group" (regardless the number of physical bodies) you qualify for group seating.

To request group seating, use the seating chart below to choose your seats and email pax_pc@paxsite.com
Include the following information when requesting:
Group Name
Number of People (include handles too)
Desired Location

Pre-registration:

Pre-registration is open to all BYOC attendees this year that already have their BYOC badge in-hand. You can fill out the Google Form located here: https://goo.gl/forms/kZDyF0q16b3qDHrO2 . Pre-registration basically just means we'll have all your info in the database already when you arrive on-site so check-in should go much faster for you. If anyone else is interested in pre-registration, please send us an email (pax.south.byoc "at" gmail.com) with a picture of your BYOC badge(s) attached, and we'll send you the form. Yes, this means in order to pre-register you must already have your BYOC badge(s) in-hand. To anyone picking them up at Will Call: we'll close the form at noon on Thursday, so if you're able to pick up your badge(s) from Will Call before then, and we're not too busy with setup to send you the form, there's still a chance you'll be able to pre-register.

Seating Chart:
BYOC Informational Mailer:
Hello!

If you're getting this, that means you have purchased a BYOC spot at PAX South to bring your computer and play on our dedicated network alongside a couple hundred friends you haven't met yet. To help make sure your BYOC festivities go smoothly, we've put together a little information packet for you. If you ever have any questions, feel free to email us at pax_pc@paxsite.com or to help ensure others benefit from your question, post in our forums at http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/pax-south.

--- PAX South Badge Registration ---

Your PAX South BYOC badges should already be mailed to you. If you do not have yours please contact registration@paxsite.com or pick them up at WILL CALL.

--- Getting There ---

The BYOC Room is located on the furthest North-West section of the building past the Expo Hall.

You will be allowed to enter the building early, at 8:00am on Friday ONLY, to begin checking in and getting seated. Entry on Saturday, and Sunday begin at 10:00am. If you are driving in, the best way to get in will be through the loading dock which will be open for BYOC Load-in from 8am-noon on Friday. The image below shows how to get there:

http://hw1.pa-cdn.com/pax/resources/south/BYOC Map.png

This is an active loading dock so we have to be strict, you'll only have about 5 minutes of unloading time before we'll need you to park your car.

If you haven't received your badge yet for whatever reason, you'll need to pick it up from Will Call at our Registration Desk in Main Lobby. You'll probably want to leave your computer in the car until you get the badge. If that's impossible for whatever reason, then just bring your rig to the load-in entrance and we'll try to prevent you from having to run around while carrying 50lbs of steel.

If you are walking in with your computer, use the Exhibitor/Media/Medical Pass entrance in front of the Main Lobby to avoid having to wait in a huge line with your rig.

--- Basic LAN Party Information ---

If you've never been to a LAN party, be sure to bring the following equipment:

- BYOC Pass
- PAX Pass (daily or 3-day)
- Computer
- Monitor (Please no bigger than 27" LCD) and connecting cable
- Keyboard
- Mouse (we recommend wired, just to avoid any potential interference)
- Mouse pad
- Ethernet cable (25 feet should be sufficient)
- Power cables (but no extension cords or power strips. Maximum of two power connected devices)
- Headphones
- Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.

We suggest printing off this list checking each item as you pack it. If you end up forgetting something, talk to an Enforcer or BYOC Help Desk and we might be able to help out.

Please update/patch your games before coming to PAX. This includes updating Steam, Impulse, Origin, and such. You will have access to the Internet, but bandwidth is EXTREMELY limited!

Please be sure to enable virus protection on your computer before connecting it to our network. Any computers that are found with a virus will be immediately disconnected from the network until the matter is resolved. We would also like to remind everyone that there is absolutely NO personal network equipment allowed (Switches, routers, WiFi AP’s, etc).

***AGAIN, PATCH YOUR PC BEFORE YOU ARRIVE. WE CANNOT EXPRESS THIS ENOUGH***

The PAX SOUTH BYOC schedule is as follows:

Friday: 8:00am - 11:30pm
Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 6:00pm

--- Tournament Schedule ---

Once available the PC Tournament Schedule can be found on the PAX South website here: http://south.paxsite.com/schedule/category/pc-s?sfl=74# . Keep your eyes out for fun contests and events there but... these do not include the AMAZING BYOC exclusive events that we'll be peer pressuring you into. We all had a lot of fun with it last year and expect it to be even BETTER this year.

--- BYOC Contests ---

The BYOC staff will be running organized games throughout each day in the games on the list. Some of the activities will have signups ahead of time while others you can just jump in game and join us. Extended descriptions for each of the organized events will be posted on the PAX Forums. Scheduled times will be available on site starting at check-in.

--- Security Information ---

There's a lot more to do at PAX than just play PC games, and we want you to be able to go do all of these things secure in the knowledge that your computer and peripherals are safe and sound. To that end, we put a much higher emphasis on security than most other LAN parties. Before you enter the PAX BYOC area, you will have to quickly register your computer and any monitor you're bringing into the computer area. We've gone to great lengths to keep the security processes in check, and as such, please keep your BYOC badge as visible as possible when entering the room….it’s for your own protection.

While we will make every attempt to keep all equipment in the room safe, be aware that there is little we can do to prevent phones, tablets, portable game consoles, CD's, wads of cash, and other small items from walking off. We strongly suggest you keep such items out of plain view and use some common sense when it comes to your own security. If you're coming with a laptop, we also STRONGLY recommend you invest in a laptop lock. Seriously.

--- Voice Chat Information ---

We will have Discord servers available for tournaments and public gaming. While we will have the clients available on our file server, it is recommended that you download and install clients before hand.

--- Pre-registration: ---

Pre-registration is open to all BYOC attendees this year that already have their BYOC badge in-hand. You can fill out the Google Form located here: https://goo.gl/forms/kZDyF0q16b3qDHrO2 . Pre-registration basically just means we'll have all your info in the database already when you arrive on-site so check-in should go much faster for you. If anyone else is interested in pre-registration, please send us an email (pax.south.byoc "at" gmail.com) with a picture of your BYOC badge(s) attached, and we'll send you the form. Yes, this means in order to pre-register you must already have your BYOC badge(s) in-hand. To anyone picking them up at Will Call: we'll close the form at noon on Thursday, so if you're able to pick up your badge(s) from Will Call before then, and we're not too busy with setup to send you the form, there's still a chance you'll be able to pre-register.

See you soon, everyone, and we hope you have a great time!

Platypus King on

• follisjfollisj Registered User regular
    So is there a list of games that players would like to do created yet?

If not, let's get one started! I'd vote for using Steam since it's pretty universal.

List:
    Ring of Elysium
    PUBG

• AirAssault237AirAssault237 Flying Boat boi San AntonioRegistered User regular
    We have a slight problem on the google form...

Badge codes have letters.vgi6iwr1jtbx.png

djhzzwy17hd0.png
    "There are pilots and there are pilots; with the good ones, it is inborn." - BG Robin Olds
    "Weather today fine but high waves." - ADM Tōgō Heihachirō
    did you just post your badge number? on a public forum?

• bard pittbard pitt Registered User new member
    Should be resolved now if you would like to try again

• Platypus KingPlatypus King Registered User regular
    We have a slight problem on the google form...

Badge codes have letters.vgi6iwr1jtbx.png

Should be fixed!

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    I have 2 if anyone needs more for a group.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • vade281vade281 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Here's my list that I keep around.

Battle Royale
    Darwin Project
    Fortnite
    PUBG
    Ring of Elysium

Shooter
    Battlefield V
    CS: GO
    CS: Source
    Destiny 2
    Garry's Mod
    Overwatch
    Paladins
    Quake Champions
    Team Fortress 2
    COD: BLOPS 4

MOBA
    Heroes of the Storm
    League of Legends
    DOTA 2
    Smite

Other
    Brawlhalla
    Broforce
    Civ-6
    Crawl
    Death Squared
    Diablo 3
    Gang Beasts
    Gauntlet
    Genital Jousting
    Golf With Your Friends
    Grand Theft Auto 5
    Hidden In Plain Sight
    Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
    Laser League
    Left For Dead 1/2
    Mount Your Friends
    Move or Die
    Payday 2
    Rocket League
    Speed Runners
    Spy Party
    Star Craft 2
    Stick Fight: The Game
    Stikbold! A Dodgeball Adevnture
    Warframe
    World of Tanks

vade281 on
  • AirAssault237AirAssault237 Flying Boat boi San AntonioRegistered User regular
    I think we can add Insurgency, Insurgency: Sandstorm, ArmA 3, and maaaaaaaaaybe DCS Beta to that list

djhzzwy17hd0.png
    "There are pilots and there are pilots; with the good ones, it is inborn." - BG Robin Olds
    "Weather today fine but high waves." - ADM Tōgō Heihachirō
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Question about laptops in BYOC: is it possible to check-in/out repeatedly? I may need to use my laptop for either my son or me, but will probably also need to use it elsewhere for work stuff during the show.

(This dilemma brought to you by my son’s parts-bin PC, which decided to die this weekend. Not sure I’m going to have a replacement cobbled together and running by the time we leave for San Antonio.)

shdwcaster wrote: »
    Question about laptops in BYOC: is it possible to check-in/out repeatedly? I may need to use my laptop for either my son or me, but will probably also need to use it elsewhere for work stuff during the show.

(This dilemma brought to you by my son’s parts-bin PC, which decided to die this weekend. Not sure I’m going to have a replacement cobbled together and running by the time we leave for San Antonio.)

Yes, you can check equipment in/out of the BYOC multiple times. There are people who take their laptops with them every night.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • FuzzoroFuzzoro Registered User regular
    What is the earliest time we can arrive to setup our rigs at PAX on Friday?

Do we go around to the loading dock in the back and come into the expo hall thru the delivery hall?
    How much time are we granted at the delivery dock? If i need to unload a trailer with 10 rigs and stuff.. I will need more than a "drive by and toss out a box" amount of time.

• KnuckleSangwichKnuckleSangwich TexasRegistered User regular
    Looks like the last two posts asked my top of mind questions...

I'm assuming the earliest drop-off time starts 8AM on Friday? And same loading dock area as before?

Couple more days, oh yeah.

l4Nx8vk.png
    Fuzzoro wrote: »
    What is the earliest time we can arrive to setup our rigs at PAX on Friday?
    Do we go around to the loading dock in the back and come into the expo hall thru the delivery hall?
    How much time are we granted at the delivery dock? If i need to unload a trailer with 10 rigs and stuff.. I will need more than a "drive by and toss out a box" amount of time.

These are both good questions. In the BYOC Information Mailer (see second spoiler in original post) there is information for you about time and location.
    Also unfortunately as they are just letting us use their loading dock, the convention center has made it clear that vehicles need to moving quickly, so don't plan on more than 5-10 minutes to drop off, then go park your car.

Hope that answered your questions.

• Zerokewl08Zerokewl08 Registered User new member
    Just put in for my BYOC badge. This is my first PAX and first time bringing gear anywhere. Any tips from the vets out there?

jvkrlrwlbsca.png
    Zerokewl08 wrote: »
    Just put in for my BYOC badge. This is my first PAX and first time bringing gear anywhere. Any tips from the vets out there?

Keep it simple.

Bring extra batteries jic

Don’t forget a headset. The expo hall is loud.

The provided chairs are basic. No arm rests, no recline.

No open beverages. The tables are community shared spaces. A spill will get you.... hurt.

Don’t bring a 65” tv and expect to use it as a monitor. You have around 40” per space +\- depending on who is next to you. Could be less.

If you are walking in with your computer, use the Exhibitor/Media/Medical Pass entrance in front of the Main Lobby to avoid having to wait in a huge line with your rig.

Given the change to security that was just announced, just want to confirm that we can still enter at 8AM on Friday via this entrance.

row1.pngrow2.png
    Also if we have multiple badges, how do you want us to pre-register so that they can be linked together?

row1.pngrow2.png

Keep it simple.

No open beverages. The tables are community shared spaces. A spill will get you.... hurt.

Don’t bring a 65” tv and expect to use it as a monitor. You have around 40” per space +\- depending on who is next to you. Could be less.

Thanks for the info. Another question. I'll be staying at the Hilton across on Alamo Street, so no need to go to the loading zone, does anyone know if the West Lobby will be open as well or will I need to cart my gear to the Main Entrance?

jvkrlrwlbsca.png
    Ignore previous. Found the answer, which is a no.

jvkrlrwlbsca.png
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular

Keep it simple.

Thanks for the info. Another question. I'll be staying at the Hilton across on Alamo Street, so no need to go to the loading zone, does anyone know if the West Lobby will be open as well or will I need to cart my gear to the Main Entrance?

I have a suggestion: bring a seat cushion.

In fact, scratch that. Start a business selling gamer-oriented chair cushions. With armrests. And built in air circulation. And odor protection... because face it, you don't want air circulation without it.

6YJGH2V.png
  • trebor68trebor68 Orlando, FLRegistered User regular
    This question I'm sure has been asked every year so he is my opportunity, do I need to bring a power strip for my computer laptop and my son's to use or will those be sitting on the tables or on floor below when we get our seating assignments at the BYOC this Friday? Also what length of network cable is usually recommended to bring?

trebor68 wrote: »
    This question I'm sure has been asked every year so he is my opportunity, do I need to bring a power strip for my computer laptop and my son's to use or will those be sitting on the tables or on floor below when we get our seating assignments at the BYOC this Friday? Also what length of network cable is usually recommended to bring?

Read the BYOC Informational Mailer in the first post.

row1.pngrow2.png

Sorry but the first post talks about group seating requirements but not what I'm asking for. Can that be answered here?

Sorry but the first post talks about group seating requirements but not what I'm asking for. Can that be answered here?

It's at the bottom of the post collapsed under a spoiler.

H2qZq1z.png

I suggest you read the whole thing but here is the relevant section:

- BYOC Pass
    - Computer
    - Keyboard
    - Mouse pad
    - Power cables (but no extension cords or power strips. Maximum of two power connected devices)
    - Headphones
    - Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.

row1.pngrow2.png

It's at the bottom of the post collapsed under a spoiler.

H2qZq1z.png

I suggest you read the whole thing but here is the relevant section:

- BYOC Pass
    - Computer
    - Keyboard
    - Mouse pad
    - Headphones

Ah! Enlightenment! Thanks!

As an adult having trouble keeping up with the scene, any popular games likely to be played that I can jump into without worrying about progression mechanics holding me back?

6YJGH2V.png
    As an adult having trouble keeping up with the scene, any popular games likely to be played that I can jump into without worrying about progression mechanics holding me back?

Based on the list above, I'm down for these:

Battle Royale:
    PUBG
    Ring of Elysium

Shooter:
    CS: GO
    CS: Source

MOBA:
    Heroes of the Storm

DOTA 2
    Smite

Other:
    Brawlhalla
    Diablo 3
    Rise of Nations
    Rocket League
    Star Craft 2
    Warframe
    World of Tanks

Will we have internet access?

follisj wrote: »

You answered my question, so I'll be nice and answer yours!

They say yes, but with limited bandwidth. I'd say just don't plan on running a file share node or live streaming. I'm planning on recording my own gaming and uploading the files when I get home to avoid being a bandwidth hog.

6YJGH2V.png
  • taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    follisj wrote: »

You answered my question, so I'll be nice and answer yours!

They say yes, but with limited bandwidth. I'd say just don't plan on running a file share node or live streaming. I'm planning on recording my own gaming and uploading the files when I get home to avoid being a bandwidth hog.

This is the answer. The limitations are so that we're fair to everybody, and they're not terribly limited - no worries watching livestreams, streaming music, playing games, etc.

yBfDKg5.png
  • TxBattleDogeTxBattleDoge Registered User new member
    Can I bring in a small cooler to keep some sodas cold?

As long as it isn't leaking there shouldn't be an issue of bringing an outside non-alcoholic beverages or coolers to keep them cool.

• taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular

I want to expand upon this. Cooler = OK. Mini-fridge or something else that needs electricity = No.

yBfDKg5.png
    edited January 2019
    The Folder with all the images for the medal winners is right here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JLJi8AQ_z7GLFF231LADdG3BeNUdQTP5 also listed in the main thread!

Platypus King on
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Did anyone find a blue Logitech mini mouse after the event? We lost one.

• vade281vade281 Registered User regular
    Yay medals!