As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Government Shutdown 2018/2019 - read mod post on pg 23

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Wonder how long it'll be before domestic and overseas US flights are all grounded at this rate?

All grounded? Probably won’t happen. But at some point you’ll have people on five day backlogs trying to get somewhere, and that’ll be more than enough disruptions for businesses to blow up senatorial phone lines.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I believe those ripples are already rippling:

Daily Beast EIC

• 101101 Registered User regular
    There are a lot of comments under that tweet questioning the source, so that might not be entirely accurate just yet?

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    We’re supposed to fly home to BWI Saturday. Which is the next big airport closest to DC.

*sweats*

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    There's definitely still a ton of flights in the air over/around DC. Seems unlikely.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The timing of all this definitely seems like people were watching the votes yesterday.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    The timing of all this definitely seems like people were watching the votes yesterday.

Todays also the second missed paycheck

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Kind of a shame this didn't happen before the votes yesterday

hopefully this kicks congress' ass

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Just hope Mitch is stuck there

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    101 wrote: »
    There are a lot of comments under that tweet questioning the source, so that might not be entirely accurate just yet?

You can check the FAA website. There is a Traffic Management Program in effect for LGA due to OTHER: ZDC + ZJX staffing

It's saying delays of average 41 minutes rather than a full ground stop, but we'll see.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

Mitch sure picked some bad timing to have a show and dance vote and make it public that it was so congress could go home.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    The juxtaposition of "we're holding these sham votes just so we can go home for the weekend" and "no flying this weekend" is a pretty good message. Having said that, I'm wallowing in misery because I have an important-to-us flight in 2 weeks for my daughters birthday, and thats not money we can get back if it gets screwed up.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Todays also the second missed paycheck

You are right. Maybe a bit of both?

Xaquin wrote: »

I think it probably didn't happen in part because of the votes. There was some hope the votes would actually pass if you weren't paying super close attention.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The juxtaposition of "we're holding these sham votes just so we can go home for the weekend" and "no flying this weekend" is a pretty good message. Having said that, I'm wallowing in misery because I have an important-to-us flight in 2 weeks for my daughters birthday, and thats not money we can get back if it gets screwed up.

Doesn't pertain to the thread, but: You can typically do a chargeback for these kinds of situations. You can't do them if you personally change the flight and get screwed on non-refundable but if you have your flight canceled because of a shutdown that option exists for you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's people traveling for emergency reasons I feel sorry for. If an unnecessary shutdown had kept me from being at my mother's deathbed I would have burnt down the world.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    another one of those tweets says they're closing overwater routes to florida because of staff shortages at ZJX.

honestly this is the only thing that's going to move congress critters at this point.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Oh, here's a crazy idea: maybe Mitch wanted this outcome. Get the polls close enough so a clean CR can be forced on Trump, say to hell with the Trumpites, and salvage as much of the base as can be to save congressional Rs.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Daily Beast EIC

Daily Beast EIC

Tweet deleted. Context?

I ate an engineer
  • LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Aaaagh, this (airport thing) is so scary and stressful even if it was inevitable.

EDIT- well. okay. the over-month-long shutdown and GOP peeps hardly giving a shit is scary in general, I should be clear.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    101 wrote: »

You can check the FAA website. There is a Traffic Management Program in effect for LGA due to OTHER: ZDC + ZJX staffing

It's saying delays of average 41 minutes rather than a full ground stop, but we'll see.

Is ATL normally red on that map?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Daily Beast EIC

Daily Beast EIC

Tweet deleted. Context?

something saying air traffic around DC was grounded

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    cool i'm flying out of newark tomorrow

uhh this is gonna cause so much chaos

poo
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Turns out the government can and does run things smoothly and efficiently. When properly funded and supported. Fucking Republicans.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    cool i'm flying out of newark tomorrow

uhh this is gonna cause so much chaos

I just realised my brother is in America until Tuesday. Hmm.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    PantsB wrote: »
    CNN is now saying its Philly and Newark too

Not surprising - LaGuardia, JFK, and Newark have a unified approach control called the Common Eye. If one gets shut down, the other two aren't far behind.

Edit: It looks like the problem is sector control, from that tweet. Quick primer - there are three types of control used: tower, which manages the airport ground facilities; approach, which manages the airspace around the airports designated for takeoff/landing, and sector, which manages everything else. (Most airports have tower and approach co-located, NYC is the odd duck mainly because of NYC airspace being a mess with three major airports and a number of helipad contained within.) From what's being shown, it looks like a combination of NYC's common approach and the sector controls no longer able to operate properly.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Oh, here's a crazy idea: maybe Mitch wanted this outcome. Get the polls close enough so a clean CR can be forced on Trump, say to hell with the Trumpites, and salvage as much of the base as can be to save congressional Rs.

That would be in line with the Harkonen Gambit presented earlier. However, I feel that we are rapidly approaching the point of no return on such. There is permanent damage being done to the GOP, much to everyone's dismay here *cough*, to the point where we are seeing state level defections ramping up. And those which are happening in Kansas have been less changes within the philosophy of the individuals and more "The party left me behind".

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Hartsfield-Jackson Intl (KATL) is currently experiencing departure delays of 46 minutes to 1 hours (and increasing) due to taxiway congestion.

Yeah it's a rippling effect.
    You'll eventually get things like Delay at Newark means ATL flights can't land there which delays ATL which means Houston flights can't land at ATL which means PHX flights can't land at Houston which means LAX flights can't land at PHX

Bless your heart.
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

That would be in line with the Harkonen Gambit presented earlier. However, I feel that we are rapidly approaching the point of no return on such. There is permanent damage being done to the GOP, much to everyone's dismay here *cough*, to the point where we are seeing state level defections ramping up. And those which are happening in Kansas have been less changes within the philosophy of the individuals and more "The party left me behind".

Super wishful thinking that I'm not willing to give McConnel the benefit of the doubt on.

TTODewback wrote: »
    Hartsfield-Jackson Intl (KATL) is currently experiencing departure delays of 46 minutes to 1 hours (and increasing) due to taxiway congestion.

Yeah it's a rippling effect.
    You'll eventually get things like Delay at Newark means ATL flights can't land there which delays ATL which means Houston flights can't land at ATL which means PHX flights can't land at Houston which means LAX flights can't land at PHX

Modern airlines run on a just-in-time model, because sitting planes aren't earning planes. So it's not just a matter of planes not being able to land, but planes literally not being where they're supposed to be.

• SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    So is there were Trump declares a National Emergency in order to get the airports running? At least use that as his fig leaf or whatever.

And we've talked a bit about more permanent solutions to this, and there was some pushback to the "auto continue at previous funding levels" thing. Maybe that should only apply to payroll? Like, at a minimum people should keep working and being paid. And maybe something about "existing contracts continue to be paid according to contract terms".

People should be paid, even when the gov't can't get their act together on a budget.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    We're rapidly coming to a point where either trump or mitch is going to have to go, and mitch has got to know that it's way easier to oust a senate majority then it is a president.

Never has one little pause carried so much contempt:

Adam Parkhomenko is a Democratic strategist.

As a recipient of said pause put it:

That ... pause .... before “statement” is everything you need to know and nothing you want to experience firsthand.

Christine Pelosi is an advocate and daughter of Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

That is just...

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I honestly can't believe the FAA has had enough stable ATC's to continue keeping major airports running, as long as they have.

I don't know a ton about the life of a civilian ATC, but when I was going through tech school in the USAF, due to logistical issues I (and 3 other guys) was housed in the barracks with ATC and Weather, despite being a programmer.

Anyway, ATC tech school was one of the most strenuous and stressful tech schools in the AF, with a fairly high wash-out rate. I don't know how being a civilian ATC compares to military, but knowing the sheer volume of flights at, for instance, LaGuardia, I wouldn't doubt it was no less stressful. The AF was eager to shift people who were unreliable (due to whatever reasons that lead to inconsistency or instability, like health issues, mental health issues, financial issues, etc) into other career fields because when you're directing and managing continuous flights during combat, you can't be getting sleepy or distracted because of some other major stress.

I already don't fly much, but as soon as the shutdown started and ATC's were working without pay? Yeah, if I had any flights planned, they would have been cancelled. Not only do I not want to participate in adding to something already incredibly stressful, but don't want to be part of the potential end result of putting these people in the position they're in. It is kind of weird to me it took even this long to start grounding flights.

So kudos to the people in those towers who have stuck it out this long; they're god damned heroes.

If congress had any sort of empathy or moral center, whatever bill they pass should provide double the pay to anyone effected by the shutdown, for the time they were effected; at minimum.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    If you aren't taking off or landing in the US anytime soon, but flying over it, will this stuff affect you? I am heading out this afternoon from Canada direct to Mexico for a week but should I think this will affect me if it drags on much longer?

quovadis13 wrote: »
    If you aren't taking off or landing in the US anytime soon, but flying over it, will this stuff affect you? I am heading out this afternoon from Canada direct to Mexico for a week but should I think this will affect me if it drags on much longer?

Yes - sector controls are impacted, which affects all air traffic within US airspace.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

Probably.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

Depends how long it goes and how many ATCs fold, but to my understanding yes flying through the airspace is problematic without ATCs to guide you

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

Probably? I mean, flights that would otherwise leave your destination airport for backed-up/stopped US airports won't be leaving. This ripple isn't constrained to the US, though it may slow down outside the borders.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://splinternews.com/its-happening-1832051400

Flight Attendant president says this is intentional.

Also 140k IRS workers also didn't turn up for work. Apparently the stunt yesterday plus the let them eat cake from the administration kind of pissed some people off.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Looks like this is going to fuck with the Super Bowl, especially if more airports shut down. That’s a good way to make Joe “I don’t pay attention to politics” Schmoe care about it all of a sudden.

This discussion has been closed.