As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Ashe is now Live!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    You make people aim with WASD when you want to limit aim speed.

Doing it with the mouse feels really bad.

Does it? I strafe aimed with the scout in TF2 and liked it. When I'm playing fast characters in other games I have to actively remember to not strafe aim, even.

Tf2 doesn’t have limited aim speed or wasd aiming so I am confused.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have a secret guys...

"Strafe aiming" or "Move aiming" or whatever is the only way I can even play shooters on a console controller.

I just never really got comfortable with using the right hand stick for much more than minor camera adjustments. It feels kind of like trying to write with my left hand; I can kind of do it, but it is awkward and bad.

(note: I do NOT play Overwatch on console)

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

The only way it really works is to have one aspirational crosshair that you control directly and then your real crosshair which tries to reach it at whatever the fixed turn rate is. Games with vehicles like War Thunder or World of Warships or Mechwarrior Online do it like this. It only really feels okay when you're piloting a vehicle.

The other alternative is to have Ridiculous Crosshair Bloom, so you can turn as fast as you like but fuck you if you want to shoot anything. Which people hate.

Garthor on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I have a secret guys...

"Strafe aiming" or "Move aiming" or whatever is the only way I can even play shooters on a console controller.

I just never really got comfortable with using the right hand stick for much more than minor camera adjustments. It feels kind of like trying to write with my left hand; I can kind of do it, but it is awkward and bad.

(note: I do NOT play Overwatch on console)

I can sometimes pull crazy tracking where I'll like shoot someone out of the sky as they leap over me or something, but I definitely use strafe aiming. A huge one for me is to be aiming in the general direction of where I want to shoot before I blink. Like I'll look 90 degrees away from my target kinda', blink sideways so I'm suddenly right beside them and aiming at them - make whatever minor adjustments are necessary - shoot/pulse bomb and blink away.

Also I got nothin' in my free box. Bought 24 'cause why not. Got Rein, Zen, Torb, Reaper, Brig, Orisa and a legendary... gold drop. Booo. Bought Tracer. Won 3 MH games, opened 2 more boxes - nothin'.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Like I said, if the goal is to enable flankers vs Bastion, it'd feel better if Bastion's sentry mode had a fixed turn arc and it was on the player to position well or incur a delay to be able to face against enemies who outflanked them.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited January 2019
    Chance wrote: »
    Pailryder wrote: »
    I think i have the perfect "fix" for bastion. Keep the damage/spread whatever but make his turret turn speed about 20% of what it is now (really slow). This gives an opportunity for flanking and more coordinated attacks.

Reaper...yeesh.

People would just jack their Bastion-specific sensitivity by 20%. There'd hafta be a hard speed lock and it would absolutely destroy the character.

uh huh, uh huh, huh, yeah. So can we get that in by Tuesday?
    Actually I don't hate Bastion TOO much. I have had enough of them die on my own team with me trying hard to keep them alive that I realize that they're actually pretty fragile.

Don't make me upload clips of a Tracer dancing around a Bastion owning it. Bastion's weaknesses still render him very, very circumstantially weak and very, very circumstantially strong. A Bastion without a shield in front of him for 2 seconds is dead to a competent team, and a Bastion without immediate peel is lunch for any flanker unless their aim is god-tier.

The other thing about Bastion is... it is hella fun to get a nice team-wrecking 4K all on your lonesome, just with a well-placed Sentry mode. It feels amazeballs.
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Like I said, if the goal is to enable flankers vs Bastion, it'd feel better if Bastion's sentry mode had a fixed turn arc and it was on the player to position well or incur a delay to be able to face against enemies who outflanked them.

Okay how 'bout this - when in Sentry mode, Bastion can only aim in a 90 degree cone... no that's ridiculous. In a 180 spread directly pointing where its crosshair was pointing when they transformed. W and S do nothing as you can still snap your aim directly vertical, but A and D or left and right on the left analog stick allow Bastion to rotate that spread, requiring a full second to turn 180 degrees.

This would literally allow any flanker to destroy Bastion simply by mirroring their movement and circle-strafing tightly. But if you're lookin' to make Bastion more vulnerable to flankers, consider this.

Bastion has 200HP + 100 Armor. Ironclad reduces damage by 20% and with this patch armor removes 3 damage per shot max. Ironclad reduces incoming damage before the armor reduction goes into effect, so as a Tracer main, this is what interests me...

6 damage per pellet = 12 with crit -2.4 or 20% for Ironclad = 9.6 damage per shot. 9.6 minus 3 for armor = 6.6 damage per shot. It will thus take 16 Pulse Pistol bullets (6.6 x 16 = 105.6) to remove Bastion's armor, leaving Tracer with 24 bullets in her clip. If those 24 bullets all crit, they will deal an additional (12-2.4 =) 9.6. 9.6 x 24 = 230.4 damage.

Thus, with a single clip of perfect crit shots, Tracer can now one-clip a Sentry mode Bastion.

(Chance, you mean she couldn't before?)

No she couldn't.

I know the patch is seen as a Bastion/Ham/Soldier buff, but it's only strengthened Bastion circumstantially. It's also made him yet more circumstantially vulnerable.

Edit:

Chance on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Did they do competitive capture the flag before? That feels like it's a worse idea than competitive mystery heroes (in the current setup)

they had it last year too

and it's fine! they pretty much fixed all the problems the mode had by actually making a map from the ground up that was designed to be a ctf map, by making flag pickups instant and not letting flag carriers use mobility abilities, implementing sudden death, etc etc

uc3ufTB.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Does it? I strafe aimed with the scout in TF2 and liked it. When I'm playing fast characters in other games I have to actively remember to not strafe aim, even.

Oh, you mean literally moving the reticle with WASD.

I didn't consider this a possibility because I'm sane, you see.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Man, I love backfill victories. If there was a setting for Overwatch that was "only put me into games as a backfill member", I would turn that on and probably just leave it.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Oh, you mean literally moving the reticle with WASD.

I didn't consider this a possibility because I'm sane, you see.

Hahaha, it works for some games, mostly games where you are like, controlling a tank turret when someone else drives. But it’s very edge case.

The desired reticle position vs current reticle position mechanic is probably better, as mentioned above.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Did they do competitive capture the flag before? That feels like it's a worse idea than competitive mystery heroes (in the current setup)
    They did. It's basically free golden gun points.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    As somebody who plays Reaper a lot, I’m loving the change

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    boy I sure hope that isn't a legendary
    Dude you know it is.

Turns out it ain't! 750 credits - Orisa's too.

My free box gave me the Orisa skin, so I'm off to a good start! And I have 6k gold saved up so worse comes to worst I'll still get my sweet Zen and cute as hell Tracer skins, which is all I really want out of this event.

Same, I bought zen and I'll try to get the other two before it ends, but that's blessedly all I care about this event.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    I'd wager money it's a purple myself. Not different enough from her base costume. They promoed bastion's purple costume for winter towards release too.

I retired Reinhardt's winter armor because I finally got stonehardt, which I've been wanting for a looooong time and is great. That winter armor really worked for me though. I think it was the glowy green highlights that sold me on it.

*coughs*

I'd wager money it's a purple myself. Not different enough from her base costume. They promoed bastion's purple costume for winter towards release too.

I retired Reinhardt's winter armor because I finally got stonehardt, which I've been wanting for a looooong time and is great. That winter armor really worked for me though. I think it was the glowy green highlights that sold me on it.

*coughs*

(Points finger!)

A wiiiitch!

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Okay how 'bout this - when in Sentry mode, Bastion can only aim in a 90 degree cone... no that's ridiculous. In a 180 spread directly pointing where its crosshair was pointing when they transformed. W and S do nothing as you can still snap your aim directly vertical, but A and D or left and right on the left analog stick allow Bastion to rotate that spread, requiring a full second to turn 180 degrees.

This would literally allow any flanker to destroy Bastion simply by mirroring their movement and circle-strafing tightly. But if you're lookin' to make Bastion more vulnerable to flankers, consider this.

Bastion has 200HP + 100 Armor. Ironclad reduces damage by 20% and with this patch armor removes 3 damage per shot max. Ironclad reduces incoming damage before the armor reduction goes into effect, so as a Tracer main, this is what interests me...

6 damage per pellet = 12 with crit -2.4 or 20% for Ironclad = 9.6 damage per shot. 9.6 minus 3 for armor = 6.6 damage per shot. It will thus take 16 Pulse Pistol bullets (6.6 x 16 = 105.6) to remove Bastion's armor, leaving Tracer with 24 bullets in her clip. If those 24 bullets all crit, they will deal an additional (12-2.4 =) 9.6. 9.6 x 24 = 230.4 damage.

Thus, with a single clip of perfect crit shots, Tracer can now one-clip a Sentry mode Bastion.

(Chance, you mean she couldn't before?)

No she couldn't.

I know the patch is seen as a Bastion/Ham/Soldier buff, but it's only strengthened Bastion circumstantially. It's also made him yet more circumstantially vulnerable.

Well, yeah, I'm not saying it's a change that should be made. I was just saying that it seemed like a less frustrating way to impede a Bastion's ability to respond to someone sneaking up on it, rather than artificially lowering the turn rate relative to mouse input. MWO & vehicle-sim pointer to crosshair lag works fine for those kinds of games, but would feel very out of place in Overwatch, I think.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah this whole habit of Blizzard patches trading one meta for another just makes the game really super boring when everyone keeps consistently picking the same shit

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Yeah this whole habit of Blizzard patches trading one meta for another just makes the game really super boring when everyone keeps consistently picking the same shit

But with no patches, everyone would be playing the same since 2016...

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    at the level most of the playerbase plays the "meta" isnt what is determining game outcomes anyway so...

its more monkey see monkey do than "balance"

cf jeff on B R U T A L I T Y mode

https://clips.twitch.tv/ApatheticVenomousShieldPraiseIt

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    That's just one of Jeff's Greatest Hits now - he said the exact same thing on an Emongg stream like a week or 2 ago.

Yeah yeah aren't we silly down in plat...

But with no patches, everyone would be playing the same since 2016...

I believe the major patches like this and like Brig really only exist to keep changing the game so it never gets truly stagnant.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    That's just one of Jeff's Greatest Hits now - he said the exact same thing on an Emongg stream like a week or 2 ago.

everybody is silly everywhere, the way the game works theres basically always a way to flop ur way to victory. just gotta unleash ur T H O N K S upon the GODLESS DEVILS opposing u

obF2Wuw.png
    edited January 2019

everybody is silly everywhere, the way the game works theres basically always a way to flop ur way to victory. just gotta unleash ur T H O N K S upon the GODLESS DEVILS opposing u

(After 3 minutes of teamfights amounting to nothing on the cart.)

"Okay F this, I gotta' go make a play."

(Sneak behind them, land a good pulse, score another 2 picks before going down.)

"5 on 3! You guys got this!"

NARRATOR: But they never got it.

Chance on

(Sneak behind them, land a good pulse, score another 2 picks before going down.)

55r7461xwufo.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Well maybe if you would've gotten 3 picks instead of 2 they would have. Come on Chance, step it up a little.

steam_sig.png
    McMoogle wrote: »

Well maybe if you would've gotten 3 picks instead of 2 they would have. Come on Chance, step it up a little.

I diiid!

I diiid!

So you did. So. You. Did.

But what about the 4th?

steam_sig.png

I diiid!

But what about the 4th?

The 4th got the killing blow on me after the other 2 softened me up, and then teabagged me repeatedly. Without shield or healing, they remained in place, bobbing up and down, as the arrows and bullets of my team whizzed ineffectually past.

Honestly it's often the games like that that get me a lot of sportsmanships lol >.<

edited January 2019

I diiid!

But what about the 4th?

The 4th got the killing blow on me after the other 2 softened me up, and then teabagged me repeatedly. Without shield or healing, they remained in place, bobbing up and down, as the arrows and bullets of my team whizzed ineffectually past.

Honestly it's often the games like that that get me a lot of sportsmanships lol >.<

Well they cant teabag a corpse without there first being a corpse to teabag.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png

I diiid!

But what about the 4th?

Well they cant teabag a corpse without their first being a corpse to teabag.

>.< bad Tracer!

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Thoughts on New Patch
    1)
    In the Silver and Gold area playing as Reaper is just... unfair
    I think I only had 1 death the entire night that wasn't from at least three people trying to take me out.

2) poor tanks. poor poor tanks. i am so sorry

Bless your heart.
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I've been on a pretty extended hiatus from this game. I'm usually a tank main, not by choice, but because nobody else wants to do it. This patch has pretty much guaranteed I'll stay away from the game for a bit longer.

I guess thanks for the progress on my backlog, Blizz!

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Y'know, after just one night so far, Reaper doesn't even feel that different in Plat. Like my friend said after trying him out for a while: "he's a bit better at what he was already good at, and he's just as bad where he was already bad."

But then, this is the first day and he was probably being taken for a spin by players without much Reaper experience. And I didn't see a lot of Reaper-pocketing either.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Thoughts on New Patch
    1)
    In the Silver and Gold area playing as Reaper is just... unfair
    I think I only had 1 death the entire night that wasn't from at least three people trying to take me out.

2) poor tanks. poor poor tanks. i am so sorry

I'm kinda' thankful that at my SR we at least know how to deal with that bullshit. I haven't played much since patch, but I've barely seen a Reaper so far.
    Musicool wrote: »
    Y'know, after just one night so far, Reaper doesn't even feel that different in Plat. Like my friend said after trying him out for a while: "he's a bit better at what he was already good at, and he's just as bad where he was already bad."

Yup.
    Musicool wrote: »
    But then, this is the first day and he was probably being taken for a spin by players without much Reaper experience. And I didn't see a lot of Reaper-pocketing either.

Yup. I've met some Reaper mains who were absolutely ridonkulous with him long before this patch, and must be absolute nightmares now - but those players are few and far between.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I've said this before, but I'll say it again for any Goldies and below who want some free SR in this brand new Reaper Paradise: I rose a tremendous amount when I just began to expect maximum greed flanks and ults from the enemy dps. This is particularly potent against Reapers and McCrees: heroes who should be on the front lines most of the time and who take quite a while to complete a flank - and then potentially get nothing for it.

Don't play on automatic: expect maximum (stupid) greed, and have a plan for it.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I mean, any map that isn't close range, you just kinda pick Pharah and walk all over Reaper, or try and get a hack with him on Sombra, but yeah, the co-ordinated teams are already running Lucio/Rein/Reaper for maximum troll potential.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    preface: quick play so i know, i know.
    It shouldn't but i'm still surprised when playing as any character with great mobility (hamball) i can get both enemy healers and a tank to FOLLOW me half way across the map and the rest of my team still cannot take the point.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    At this point in silver comp 1) almost every team has a reaper, and 2) You must focus reaper as number one priority, even over healers and tanks, if you want to win.

I'm not sure if this change will make Reaper more viable in >= plat, but I think the unintended consequences in <= silver is going to need to be addressed. It is kind of absurd, he is by far the most powerful hero right now in my world.

If only I was in the least bit competent at him.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    At this point in silver comp 1) almost every team has a reaper, and 2) You must focus reaper as number one priority, even over healers and tanks, if you want to win.

I'm not sure if this change will make Reaper more viable in >= plat, but I think the unintended consequences in <= silver is going to need to be addressed. It is kind of absurd, he is by far the most powerful hero right now in my world.

If only I was in the least bit competent at him.

quick tips

when u log into the match and select him type "death walk's amon u...." in all chat to let them know (intimidation)

step 2 when u use shadow step write "nothing personnel... kid"

with these two techniques u will be an UNSTOPPABLE force

obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.