As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Doesn't the entire Viper line have unusually powerful thrusters or is it just the mk3 that lets you Eurobeat around targets with impunity?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Man, the cobra mk iii really does have an excellent booster. That get out of dodge vroom is legit.

I think that's why I was so pleased to set up my 600m/s courier.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I'm gonna tell you that those people lauding the viper MK IV are straight up wrong. From the beginning that ship was a phoned in hack job to pad the new ship count. The viper's principle advantage is its agility, and the "upgrade" was to undermine its greatest strength in addition to not adding any quality of life improvements like extra firepower, role versatility, or jump range. You also might not have even made a past decision to buy it. They automatically gave out a ton of them for free when that patch dropped.

The cobra MK III is marginally less durable, but it has more agility and a MUCH higher boost speed which is WAY more important for small ships than a bit of extra armor. Especially since it lets you outrun most all opposition in the event that you bite off more than you can chew. On top of that it has great jump range, so you'd actually be able to fly it across the bubble in a combat loadouts to join a PA wing for co-op fun times without having to deal with using a hyperspace taxi and then waiting for FedEx to deliver your combat ship. But wait, there's more. It can also be outfitted as a good entry level explorer or miner to make money on the road to riches or deep core mining.

So in the one corner, we have an S+ class ship that only does everything while being a master of all trades, and Jack of none. While in the other is an overweight bird that can maybe absorb an extra second of laser fire.

I'm trying to help you man. Nothing comes close to ousting the cobra at your price point. If your heart is set on a "dedicated" combat ship, then start saving your money for a Vulture because the multirole cobra is a better combatant than the dedicated viper IV.

Counter point- VIPER mk4 - The spoiler is sick. And while you dont have the 'punch' of some other ships you can take quite a beating. She has charm in spades.

TLDR - you are mostly right, but Just let me love her as she is man....

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I mean I fly a T10 for fun. I know I have my conda and Corvette which are better but damn it's fun!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
      I enjoy my Viper MKIV, but I got it for free, and I don't really want to buy a smaller ship. I like it better for combat over the Cobra MKIII because of hardpoint placement.

I haven't played in a while though so who knows how my tastes have changed.

• ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
      So I'm planning on hopping back into the VR seat tonight, and I haven't played since... well before Horizons dropped. Is my Diamondback Scout still a decent jack-of-all-trades ship? I did some ratting and exploration in it pretty successfully in the before times.

8R7BtLw.png
    • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
      I definitely want to try out a Cobra some day since it gets a ton of love for its class. I want to finish up the last couple of upgrades on my Viper and then save up enough to jump into the next thing more or less completely upgraded, either an exploration ship or the next tier of combat ships, depending on how I feel.

I've been ecstatic with the pace of $$$ I've been making with bounty hunting relative to when I played the game at launch. When I picked the game up at launch it was about 3 hours of "woooh this is cool" followed up with "oh my god trading/exploring in this sidewinder is godawful and it's going to take me like 5 days to get anything else, even unupgraded". I was using the trade tools available at the time and just couldn't get into it, even after buying a joystick.

Then VR made the combat suddenly super fun and me much less terrible at it with headtracking. It motivated me to upgrade to a HOTAS because having important stuff mapped to your keyboard is super terrible in VR, and it's been super cool since.

Basically I'm just happy to be here.

• El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
      edited January 2019
      So I got back to what I've been considering my home system (Chamunda) after a short exploration expedition in my hauler. Sold my cartography data for abou 12.5 million credits and bought an ASP explorer.

With the components available at Gidzenko ring I was able to get the jump distance to about 30 ly. I'm excited to head back out and do some more exploring now that I have all the new mechanics figured out. I got a pop up when selling my cartography data that one of the systems I explored was newly explored by me. So that felt kind of cool.

EDIT: Quick question, as far as surface scanning planets goes, I should mainly just focus on metal heavy worlds and water worlds? I've been ignoring gas giants and icy bodies because some of the systems had in excess of 60 planetary bodies and I didn't have the patience for that.

El Mucho on
      BNet: ElMucho#1392
      Origin: theRealElMucho
    • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      Gidzenko Ring was my home port for a while. I've since anchored down in another system further out while I mine, but I do want to drop by the old stomping grounds some day.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
      El Mucho wrote: »
      So I got back to what I've been considering my home system (Chamunda) after a short exploration expedition in my hauler. Sold my cartography data for abou 12.5 million credits and bought an ASP explorer.

With the components available at Gidzenko ring I was able to get the jump distance to about 30 ly. I'm excited to head back out and do some more exploring now that I have all the new mechanics figured out. I got a pop up when selling my cartography data that one of the systems I explored was newly explored by me. So that felt kind of cool.

EDIT: Quick question, as far as surface scanning planets goes, I should mainly just focus on metal heavy worlds and water worlds? I've been ignoring gas giants and icy bodies because some of the systems had in excess of 60 planetary bodies and I didn't have the patience for that.

Yes, you can just focus on the highest payout "Earth-Like Worlds", "Water Worlds", "Ammonia Worlds", "Terraformable High Metal Content", and "Terraformable Rocky Bodies". To tell the difference between a "High Metal Content" world and "Terraformable High Metal Content" world that is worth 10x more, you can look at the planet info details on the left. Near the top under the description, it'll say something like "this world is a terraforming prospect" or something similar. There's a chart with the payouts in the spoiler.

However, I would say to check the System map to see if the system has been discovered/mapped before. If it hasn't, you still might want to scan everything to get those first discovery bonus payouts.

If you want to cheat, you can look up "Road to Riches" websites. They will tell you all the systems, either within a specific range from your current position or along a specific route, that have those high-payout worlds and which specific bodies in the system are the high payout ones (eg. planets 3,4, and 7 out of the 20 total). Of course, the existence of these sites means you have to go very far away from the bubble to get a first discovery on any of them.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
      Hmm I am going to be laid up for 2 months at the end of March, I think i'll reinstall and get comfy in VR while I am unable to walk or sit properly.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
      edited January 2019
      a2gqqwcd1b35.jpg

e: That's Zero and I wandering a moon.

TimFiji on
        I have about 115 million burning a hole in my pocket and want to get a new combat ship. I've got a Vulture right now and would like to pick up a medium sized combat vessel for even more dakka but can't quite decide which one to get. I'm learning towards the FDL due to its speed, massive shields, and ease of fitting but the Alliance Chieften looks kinda neat and I'll unlock the Fed ships eventually so the FAS/FGS are potential options too.

Suggestions?

wWuzwvJ.png
        TOGSolid wrote: »
        I have about 115 million burning a hole in my pocket and want to get a new combat ship. I've got a Vulture right now and would like to pick up a medium sized combat vessel for even more dakka but can't quite decide which one to get. I'm learning towards the FDL due to its speed, massive shields, and ease of fitting but the Alliance Chieften looks kinda neat and I'll unlock the Fed ships eventually so the FAS/FGS are potential options too.

Suggestions?

FDL is pretty great but it will probably eat all your money fitting it with the best stuff (It's one of my favorite ships still!)
        Chieftain is good too and if you want a ship launched fighter (SLF) you can get an Alliance Crusader pretty reasonably, too.
        I don't know much about the FAS/FGS but I know a lot of folks use them for AX stuff.
        If you haven't researched them, check out the Krait MkII or Mamba - newer and fun medium ships.

• LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
          From what I hear, the FAS is quite a bit like a big vulture, so if you enjoyed the vulture that may be something to go for. I've only dabbled with the alliance ships, presently have a Challenger set up for thargoid scout hunting, and it is effective enough, especially considering the number of hard points. The chieftain is supposed to be a good combat ship, maybe not up to the level of the FDL in Pvp, but very nimble and fun to fly. The FDL is still the premier combat ship I think, if anything it is a bit overpowered, and I love mine for the pure utility I get out of it. Some don't like the flight model as it is very sensitive to throttle settings, but if you can get around that I think it is a joy to fly as well. You'll probably want a FDL sooner or later anyway, and since money is so easy to come by these days may as well go for the FDL right away as it is such a useful ship.

edited January 2019
          As for survey results, it seems that we are VERY spread out. I do have one question: someone posted their timezone as CET and another as CET +1. I interpreted CET +1 as CET (which is GMT +1). Is that right or is it one more hour ahead? Yea I over-analyze.

TimFiji on
            edited January 2019
            TimFiji wrote: »
            As for survey results, it seems that we are VERY spread out. I do have one question: someone posted their timezone as CET +1. I interpreted that as CET (which is GMT +1). Is that right or is it one more hour ahead? Yea I over-analyze.

With that, it seems like Sunday afternoon might be best because while not evening which people preferred it might get our PST and European friends on at the same. Would one Sunday a month at (let's start with 1400EST, 11PST, 2100GMT, 2200CET) work?

TimFiji on
            • ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
              There's a fairly high chance for interruption, but I have no objection to giving it a try.

• LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
              Pretty quiet in here right now, but to be honest, I'm not playing that much right now either. Just to keep the thread alive, here is a picture from yesterday when I had to make an unplanned stop to get some vanadium on my way to engineer some multicannons for my conda:

1neu45x7vhtt.jpg

While the new lightning system is pretty nice (I suppose that is what a barren atmosphere-less planet under the harsh light of the systems sun would look like), I can't help but wish for some new vistas under non-black skies....

• SegSeg Registered User regular
              I had played a bit a year ago but uninstalled and took a long break, recently got the bug and started playing again, but nearly every time I activate my frame shift drive I get disconnected. Thinking about uninstalling again and trying again after the next patch.

Lodbrok wrote: »
              Pretty quiet in here right now, but to be honest, I'm not playing that much right now either.

Ace Combat 7 happened. I'm gonna be back into the ED engineering grind shortly now that I've beaten the normal AC7 campaign :D

wWuzwvJ.png
              Seg wrote: »
              I had played a bit a year ago but uninstalled and took a long break, recently got the bug and started playing again, but nearly every time I activate my frame shift drive I get disconnected. Thinking about uninstalling again and trying again after the next patch.

There's a bit of server turbulence today. I blame the superbowl and amazon web services.

edited February 2019
              So in case you want an easy (and free!) way to overlay whatever you want on top of ED to watch/read while traveling around/grinding materials, I ran across a small program called OnTop Replica. It's pretty damn easy to use and works fantastically: https://github.com/LorenzCK/OnTopReplica/releases
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RPA5j0560g

Also, today I got my first engineering upgrades now that I'm back from getting Felicity Farseer's stuff and dropping it off. I wish there were more interesting mechanics for getting the materials we need for engineering but at least I can easily watch stupid shit easily while doing brainless grinding now.

TOGSolid on
              wWuzwvJ.png
            • LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
              So reading this https://canonn.science/codex/guardian-structure/ about guardian stuff and what is this about guardian ships`?

Grass Grows,
              Birds Fly,
              'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
              So reading this https://canonn.science/codex/guardian-structure/ about guardian stuff and what is this about guardian ships`?

Very specific modules and weapons specifically for fighting Thargoids. They are mediocre against humans.

I found hunting for the pieces to be pretty fun. The guardian FSD booster added like 11LY to my space taxi.

• kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular

If your ship is large enough for ship launched fighters, you can unlock hybrid guardian/human ship launched fighters. There are three versions, one of them at least is super fast and agile, but none of them have much endurance.

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
                Ah ok, so it's only fighters not actual player ships.

Grass Grows,
                Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
                Playing around with the merch creator. Not sure if a mug is really the right medium, though. Maybe this works better on a shirt?
                https://shop.spreadshirt.co.uk/1130516/create?product=519097552&view=1

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
                Zerocz wrote: »
                Playing around with the merch creator. Not sure if a mug is really the right medium, though. Maybe this works better on a shirt?
                https://shop.spreadshirt.co.uk/1130516/create?product=519097552&view=1

Needs an Asp superimposed on it

5gsowHm.png
              • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
                Okay so has anyone here had a problems with bindings not being acknowledged?

Haven’t played in a year and Reinstalled on my new fresh clean PC. To my horror it’s still not taking bindings or working with my Xbox pad (works on everything else).

I’m using the frontier launcher and it everything is updated it just seems that it’s not finding the file properly.

Before I try frontier has anyone here in the forum had similar problem?

edited February 2019
                Okay so has anyone here had a problems with bindings not being acknowledged?

Haven’t played in a year and Reinstalled on my new fresh clean PC. To my horror it’s still not taking bindings or working with my Xbox pad (works on everything else).

I’m using the frontier launcher and it everything is updated it just seems that it’s not finding the file properly.

Before I try frontier has anyone here in the forum had similar problem?

This has been happening to me and my friends since the latest big patch. For me, I'm losing my keyboard bindings. My friends have had instances where their xbox controllers (for PC) lose bindings.

e: So yours is not recognized from the start?

TimFiji on
                • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
                  I had an issue once where my bindings weren't working properly after putting the game down for a while. Stuff like, my ship would boost whenever I tried to deploy/retract landing gear.
                  I had to delete my keybinds file and redo my bindings.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
                  I haven't seen any keybinds mess up on their own, but when I installed my new HOTAS it did turn on my mouse navigation settings that were previously disabled.

That was fun, thinking my new stick was bad out of the box. Not realizing ever bump of the mouse was causing me to go off course.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.

It sees the pad and the controls options are Advanced/Classic/With Yaw/Keyboard etc it even shows the buttons but I accept go in to the game and nothing’s responds. I can even plug in PS4 pad it sees it yet it won’t respond.

Not a hardware error as have new case when I did my fresh reinstall.

It seems somehow it’s not reading from the launcher properly and the main files.

Other option is getting it on steam and then installing that version. Hopefully steams I’m built pad system bypasses it. You still have to log in with your frontier account in steam right?

Yeah you still need to go through the frontier launcher if you own it on steam

It sees the pad and the controls options are Advanced/Classic/With Yaw/Keyboard etc it even shows the buttons but I accept go in to the game and nothing’s responds. I can even plug in PS4 pad it sees it yet it won’t respond.

Not a hardware error as have new case when I did my fresh reinstall.

It seems somehow it’s not reading from the launcher properly and the main files.

Other option is getting it on steam and then installing that version. Hopefully steams I’m built pad system bypasses it. You still have to log in with your frontier account in steam right?

Have you tried maping your dpad as normal keyboard keys?

Grass Grows,
                    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
                    edited February 2019
                    Yeah i can map the buttons to anything, I even tried empty settings on a pad and saving them (which then the profile becomes custom) go back to the game and nothing.

Its bizarre as hell, it’s like it’s not reading the settings and displaying them in the menu but no actual inputs work.

I mean it’s been a year since I played so it’s hard to pinpoint at what update this happened.

Gutted.

Genji-Gloves on
                    Hum, I dunno man haven't had this problem with this game. I would sugest some hardcore google-fu!

The way I have worked around similar things before on other games, was to map all the keys to my keyboard then just make the keys on my xbox controller or hotas into those keyboard keys.

But if it's just not regestering the dpad at all that won't help =/

Grass Grows,
                    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
                    Yeah i can map the buttons to anything, I even tried empty settings on a pad and saving them (which then the profile becomes custom) go back to the game and nothing.

Its bizarre as hell, it’s like it’s not reading the settings and displaying them in the menu but no actual inputs work.

I mean it’s been a year since I played so it’s hard to pinpoint at what update this happened.

Gutted.

I used to have a problem where my custom key bindings never showed up. One day I turned it on and they were back. The only thing that changed was my Xbox controller was plugged in. Next time I played I turned on my XBox controller when it started and voilà - bindings back again. I guess I needed it there for the bindings or else it reverted back to default.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
                      I got my first Meta Alloys last night! Delivered a ton to Farseer.

...Looks like my next purchase is going to be a Wake Scanner.

steam_sig.png
                      Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
                      Backlog Challenge List