As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Government Shutdown 2018/2019 - read mod post on pg 23

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Two weeks seems stupidly short, though. I mean, ignoring that they have to unbury from the last month of furloughs, all that 2 weeks gets you is backpay.

Now, granted, that's a good thing. But why not just accept, like, a 2 month CR? Or 3 month? Give everyone time to negotiate.. or more importantly, forget about this.

You can't negotiate without your leverage of people suffering.

And passing gives the leverage against the republicans of 'what are people going to do if in two weeks you do this to them AGAIN?'

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Passing a Cr even a temporary one shows weakness on the GOP's part. It shows they can't take the heat and hopefully will in the two week period get a clean CR for the year passed.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    for what it's worth, the banner headline at the top of cnn's homepage now says "The White House and lawmakers are near a deal to reopen the government."

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

So in 15 minutes.

If this is a clean CR and not another BS Kushner attempt and it goes through it is Trump caving.

Literally the Dems just getting what they wanted. Even if it is 2 weeks. The next one will be harder for Trump as he will be shown as having the weaker hand.

So let us hope Drudge is right on this one no matter how much I hate them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I think some people probably got some phone calls regarding certain flights.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    It’s gonna be some announcement of an agreement between Trump and McConnell. It won’t be bilateral and it will also be a ridiculous legislative trap. That’s my prediction and I would bet a small sum of money on it.

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Details coming out now, via CNN:
    The deal would be a CR for three weeks, which would include the current level of fencing and wall repair money ($1.3 billion for the year.)

There are still issues over the backpay provisions that any agreement would include, one source says. Once it's passed, lawmakers would have three weeks to reach an agreement that addresses President Trump's border wall funding request.

If they don't reach a deal, Trump is expected to say he'll invoke a national emergency.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s preference is to voice vote any deal announced today. Senators were told today in an email, but that is not a sure thing until every senator has signed off.

Remember: Sources caution things are fluid and this could change.

Link: https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/government-shutdown-month-2019/h_6f63d81a7b725e97106b0c0b7a225a4e

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    The deal would be a CR for three weeks, which would include the current level of fencing and wall repair money ($1.3 billion for the year.)

There are still issues over the backpay provisions that any agreement would include, one source says. Once it's passed, lawmakers would have three weeks to reach an agreement that addresses President Trump's border wall funding request.

If they don't reach a deal, Trump is expected to say he'll invoke a national emergency.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s preference is to voice vote any deal announced today. Senators were told today in an email, but that is not a sure thing until every senator has signed off.

Link: https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/government-shutdown-month-2019/h_6f63d81a7b725e97106b0c0b7a225a4e

So he's caving, then.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

impressive! most people can't forecast national emergencies like that! I wonder what it will be!

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I hope the Dems refuse to voice vote it.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

So he's caving, then.

And telegraphng. I figure some lawyers are drafting injunction motions right now for if he declares that emergency.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

I mean, I'd like to get douchey Republicans on record voting no for it, but the chance that moving to a recorded vote scuttles this makes it not worth it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain

Nah, just get the government open again. Being shitty about it at this point would be counterproductive when the narrative is going to be, "Trump could have made this announcement at any time over the past 30+ days, this whole thing is his fault".

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Congressional leaders, Trump reach tentative deal to temporarily reopen government without wall funds, according to Hill officials

WashPost link. Thank god for actual news folks getting in on this.
    Congressional leaders and President Trump have reached a tentative deal to temporarily reopen the government and continue talks on Trump’s demand for border wall money, Capitol Hill officials said Friday.

With Trump’s approval, the pact would reopen shuttered government departments for the three weeks while leaving the issue of $5.7 billion for the U.S.-Mexico border wall to further talks.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations.

The White House announced that Trump would speak from the Rose Garden of the White House at 1:30 p.m. The officials said the tentative deal was subject to change until announced by Trump.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I wonder if fox will screw it up again in the next 5 minutes

Nah, just get the government open again. Being shitty about it at this point would be counterproductive when the narrative is going to be, "Trump could have made this announcement at any time over the past 30+ days, this whole thing is his fault".

Voice vote means McConnell can say that the 43 dissenters were all Dems trying to keep things shut down. I don't like the idea of giving him that leverage, however small it may be.

So he's caving, then.

And telegraphng. I figure some lawyers are drafting injunction motions right now for if he declares that emergency.

Agreed, I am sure he's been told that declaring a national emergency is going to go nowhere while it's tied up in court.

He's completely folded. Which could have happened much earlier, if Republicans had called his bluff from the beginning.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The officials said the tentative deal was subject to change until announced by Trump.

In a neutral environment this would feel pretty underhanded, but in the current context it's just a statement of fact. Nothing is in stone until he says it.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Subject to change... that's foreboding.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

The national emergency aspect of this will take the burden off of congress, and they'll be able to pass a bill without the wall funding, and the administration will be sued to hell.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains

Voice vote means McConnell can say that the 43 dissenters were all Dems trying to keep things shut down. I don't like the idea of giving him that leverage, however small it may be.

are voice votes not recorded?

how could you possibly have that situation?

Voice vote means that McConnell can say whatever he wants, but none of it will have any factual evidence to back it up.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    We already have recorded votes from yesterday for a clean bill anyway. We know who didn't want to override the President.

It's pretty obvious whose feet we can lay blame at, why go through more theater?

I feel like McConnell is going to be very quiet in the coming days in the hopes that everybody just forgets about this.

He's seen how effective blaming the Democrats has been this last month.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    We already have recorded votes from yesterday for a clean bill anyway. We know who didn't want to override the President.

It's pretty obvious whose feet we can lay blame at, why go through more theater?

yeah there's zero way he could spin that, that's impossible. They literally voted for it yesterday.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    Xaquin wrote: »

We covered this earlier in the thread. Voice vote is basically McConnell getting a chorus of answers, then making up the number it passes. So he could say, passing 100-0, 52-48, or anything in between. No actual vote is tallied to specific senators. This is the GOP covering for their members.

When voice voting, the Senate Majority Leader can say "We have a passing majority, does anyone disagree?" and if everyone shuts up and lets it happen, no one has to actually vote on anything. Its an easy way to let shitty people hide in anonymity, but its also our best hope of getting some support for people who really fucking need it.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Are there any reports of Tea Party or libertarians celebrating the shut down? You'd think this is what they wanted, but I haven't heard anything.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)

We covered this earlier in the thread. Voice vote is basically McConnell getting a chorus of answers, then making up the number it passes. So he could say, passing 100-0, 52-48, or anything in between. No actual vote is tallied to specific senators. This is the GOP covering for their members.

I understand that, but that's just for seeing if a bill goes to the floor for an actual vote right? What's the point of never having any record of a vote if it can be called into dispute at any time?

Brody wrote: »

When voice voting, the Senate Majority Leader can say "We have a passing majority, does anyone disagree?" and if everyone shuts up and lets it happen, no one has to actually vote on anything. Its an easy way to let shitty people hide in anonymity, but its also our best hope of getting some support for people who really fucking need it.

damn, that should be done away with asafp in my opinion. talk about shady

• Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

So in 15 minutes.

If this is a clean CR and not another BS Kushner attempt and it goes through it is Trump caving.

Literally the Dems just getting what they wanted. Even if it is 2 weeks. The next one will be harder for Trump as he will be shown as having the weaker hand.

Yeah, I can't see the Republicans being in a better position in 2 or 3 weeks. Even if nothing more happens with Trump himself, the immediate question most people would ask is how many paychecks Federal employees should miss before the Republicans fold again.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats

It's pork barrel spending all over again. Letting Republicans save some face is going to get the government open again, and they're already on record voting against a clean CR/for Trump's BS wall, so there's no reason not to grease the wheels of getting federal workers paid.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I can’t shake the feeling that we’re going to pay a lot of government workers now to buy some goodwill and then put them through the same thing again in a few weeks.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Subject to change... that's foreboding.

At this point this should be standard disclaimer for any Trump statement. No matter what is agreed to, written down and slapped on the teleprompter in front of him, he's likely to go off script and say whatever terrible thought wanders in to his head, so....

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

damn, that should be done away with asafp in my opinion. talk about shady

Much like pork, it's one of those things that lets the Govt function. But in this case I don't trust that asshole not to turn around and try blame the Dems, even with the actual recorded vote yesterday. Gaslighting is what they all do.

I can’t shake the feeling that we’re going to pay a lot of government workers now to buy some goodwill and then put them through the same thing again in a few weeks.

If Pelosi is smart, the first thing dems pass on monday is a CR for 6 months

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

So in 15 minutes.

Yeah, I can't see the Republicans being in a better position in 2 or 3 weeks. Even if nothing more happens with Trump himself, the immediate question most people would ask is how many paychecks Federal employees should miss before the Republicans fold again.

Yeah once you've folded the issue if you try and say "ok now it matters" even if its for the wall you've already shown you will fold so why hurt people in the mean time? Its basically the worry about the dems folding legitimizing the tactic in reverse, once you've shown you know this hurts you more than helps you are intentionally hurting yourself.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    No temporary measures. Fund the government then talk about what it is going to do.

"I'll take the gun barrel off them long enough to say my piece, but keep my clutches on the hostage so i can put the gun right back on em when I'm done", is not an actual betterment of the situation

If Trump shuts it all down again, the hammer of fucking god will come down on him, since all he proved this time around is that he could have ended it at any time.

I think it's more likely he goes the emergency route, and then when it gets tied up in court he moans about red tape and that he needs to be re-elected along with a Republican Congress so that he can make it happen.

This discussion has been closed.