As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who] He Sings, He Dances, He Has Magic Gloves

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Any recurring enemy gets less frightening with every fight they lose.

I don't think that's particularly true in the Dalek's case. Yes, you usually defeat them, but which one of you is going to die before that happens?

By the time we reached Donna's finale we had seen them more often than I cared for, but I definitely felt anxious when it was revealed they were the villains. You expected it to be a puzzle to solve, and nope, Daleks from the sky, we're all fucked. The reactions from the companions at that time were pretty good, too. You got a real sense from them that they felt super duper doomed when they heard "Exterminate!" over the radio.

It didn't hurt that they also killed a recurring character many fans enjoyed. Or that they maintained that just one Dalek was enough for the world to be fucked, so here you go, have millions. They don't even really give up a pretense of the Earth's military forces doing anything other than their blow-up-the-planet plan. They shot the episode so that the audience and the characters all assume that until The Doctor shows up, a whole lot of people are going to be ants under a boot. And I loved that.

That's part of the problem IMO. One Dalek is enough to fuck over a planet. Millions should fuck millions of planets at once. Millions focused on a single planet should have that planet turn to a desolate wasteland in the blink of an eye.

Instead, we've seen millions of Daleks struggle to take over a single TV-studio space station manned by civilians. We've seen millions of Dalek fly over the earth and cause no damage whatsoever and get sucked back into the void. We've seen millions of Dalek teleport the Earth away and just stroll through it shooting people at random until Rose shows up and blasts them away with her mega-gun.

At this point, if I were living in the Doctor Who universe, I'd be scared of a single Dalek, but I'd be relieved if I saw millions of Daleks show up.

Well yeah, but the point of all of that was to stress the humans out to the point where they found a way to bring The Doctor to Davros. Because that's what he wanted, and that's what Dalek Caan prophesied would happen. Also they needed Earth to exist in order for their reality bomb to work.

The humans didn't find a way to send the Doctor to Davos. The Daleks captured the Doctor and sent him to Davos. Also, the Daleks needed Earth to exist, yeah, but not humanity. They should have wiped out all humans the moment they got Earth. In fact, there's no reason why they didn't.

Why are Daleks sending the Doctor to meet with elitist capitalists in Switzerland?

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Any recurring enemy gets less frightening with every fight they lose.

I don't think that's particularly true in the Dalek's case. Yes, you usually defeat them, but which one of you is going to die before that happens?

By the time we reached Donna's finale we had seen them more often than I cared for, but I definitely felt anxious when it was revealed they were the villains. You expected it to be a puzzle to solve, and nope, Daleks from the sky, we're all fucked. The reactions from the companions at that time were pretty good, too. You got a real sense from them that they felt super duper doomed when they heard "Exterminate!" over the radio.

It didn't hurt that they also killed a recurring character many fans enjoyed. Or that they maintained that just one Dalek was enough for the world to be fucked, so here you go, have millions. They don't even really give up a pretense of the Earth's military forces doing anything other than their blow-up-the-planet plan. They shot the episode so that the audience and the characters all assume that until The Doctor shows up, a whole lot of people are going to be ants under a boot. And I loved that.

That's part of the problem IMO. One Dalek is enough to fuck over a planet. Millions should fuck millions of planets at once. Millions focused on a single planet should have that planet turn to a desolate wasteland in the blink of an eye.

Instead, we've seen millions of Daleks struggle to take over a single TV-studio space station manned by civilians. We've seen millions of Dalek fly over the earth and cause no damage whatsoever and get sucked back into the void. We've seen millions of Dalek teleport the Earth away and just stroll through it shooting people at random until Rose shows up and blasts them away with her mega-gun.

At this point, if I were living in the Doctor Who universe, I'd be scared of a single Dalek, but I'd be relieved if I saw millions of Daleks show up.

Well yeah, but the point of all of that was to stress the humans out to the point where they found a way to bring The Doctor to Davros. Because that's what he wanted, and that's what Dalek Caan prophesied would happen. Also they needed Earth to exist in order for their reality bomb to work.

The humans didn't find a way to send the Doctor to Davos. The Daleks captured the Doctor and sent him to Davos. Also, the Daleks needed Earth to exist, yeah, but not humanity. They should have wiped out all humans the moment they got Earth. In fact, there's no reason why they didn't.

Why are Daleks sending the Doctor to meet with elitist capitalists in Switzerland?

They can't defeat the Doctor, so they're hoping capitalism will defeat him for them?

"Doctor, the Daleks are invading Earth!"
    "I'll protect you... if you buy a premium planetary protection plan. You get five shots of my sonic screwdriver for free, and the others are at a discount rate."

sig.gif
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    "I'll save the world, but I don't work on evenings or weekends."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    They need to have little fingers coming out of the plunger.

The iron man dalek (in Sheffield! With scraps!) did, it had a set of claws that formed the plunger when closed.

Norgoth wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    They need to have little fingers coming out of the plunger.

The iron man dalek (in Sheffield! With scraps!) did, it had a set of claws that formed the plunger when closed.

I hadn't realized that, it's awesome!

sig.gif
    Although it still bugs me they made it a New Year episode because they "were out of ideas for Christmas episodes" or some such. Was there anything in the episode that was explicitly new year-y, except the bit at the beginning where they said they had visited 19 new year parties? They could have literally just changed that one bit to 19 Christmas parties and made it a perfectly fine Christmas special.

sig.gif
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I think the BBC probably wanted to air something else on Christmas day and that was their excuse.

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Also this means they can say there was technically new DW aired in 2019.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I would like another Easter Doctor Who episode. Have her eating a chocolate bunny.

Krathoon on
    The New Years Special.
    I still think they should have had him reach the Daleks and they dismiss him as being obsolete.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Troughton near the bottom is a travesty. This was carried out in summer 2018, and is a general public thing, I think, and seems based purely on whether people like the actors or recognise someone. Whittaker hadn't even appeared in an episode yet.

edited January 2019
    Why is Eccleston so high ranked? He did one season 14 years ago. (was awesome though)

CelestialBadger on
    Troughton near the bottom is a travesty. This was carried out in summer 2018, and is a general public thing, I think, and seems based purely on whether people like the actors or recognise someone. Whittaker hadn't even appeared in an episode yet.

This list can go suck eggs. Any list that puts Capaldi that far down, can suck eggs too.

Of my five favorite moments in Who, Capaldi is in three of them ("line in the sand" Hell Bent, "fatality index" Extremis, "duty of care" also Hell Bent). The other two are a Tennant moment ("six words" Christmas Invasion), and a Rory moment ("would you like me to repeat the question?" Good Man Goes To War).

Now, I still think Tennant is better over his entire run, and I was admittedly never a fan of pre-nuWho, but Capaldi being so far down that list is a travesty.

Because the question isn't who's your favourite Doctor. It's do you like this actor.

Because the question isn't who's your favourite Doctor. It's do you like this actor.

But Capaldi is awesome! Malcolm Tucker ruled.

List still doesn't make sense!

To paraphrase Malcolm Tucker, "This list is an epic f***-up. It’s so dense that light bends around it."

The Thick Of It was not a massively popular show. It had a dedicated following but Colin Baker being on a celebrity reality show probably reached more viewers.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Regardless of the phrasing of the question... its nice to see my Doctor up top. :)

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Regardless of the phrasing of the question... its nice to see my Doctor up top. :)

nice.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Eccleston was also the first of the new Doctors, so for a lot of people he'll be their first Doctor unless they watched the old shows. A friend of mine feels this way. He recognizes Tennant's seasons were better, but he always loved Eccleston a tad bit more.

American perspective, admittedly.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    Matt Smith should be way higher. The guy had so much fun playing the Doctor it was contagious.

sig.gif
    Eccleston is in a billion shows and much more familiar to people than most.

Eccleston is in a billion shows and much more familiar to people than most.

The only thing I've seen Eccleston in aside from Doctor Who is a GIJoe movie trailer.

sig.gif
    He's on UK TV all the time and has been for decades.

He was the (unrecognisable) bad guy in Thor 2, the bad guy in Gone in 60 Seconds, tons of stuff.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Yeah, once you realize it's actor and not Doctor, I find myself agreeing with the list a lot.

Even Whittaker, because I knew her from Broadchurch and a Black Mirror episode, things that both someone in the UK and America would be familiar with, and the reasons I fell in love with her before she came to Who.

I think maybe the one I'd take the most issue with is Hartnell, because I seriously doubt anyone's seen him do anything but be the inaugural Doctor. I don't think he should have the bottom spot, but not #8.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Yeah, once you realize it's actor and not Doctor, I find myself agreeing with the list a lot.

Even Whittaker, because I knew her from Broadchurch and a Black Mirror episode, things that both someone in the UK and America would be familiar with, and the reasons I fell in love with her before she came to Who.

I think maybe the one I'd take the most issue with is Hartnell, because I seriously doubt anyone's seen him do anything but be the inaugural Doctor. I don't think he should have the bottom spot, but not #8.

Maybe they're conflating him and David Bradley?

Honestly, he was seemingly the perfect choice for the role.

He's so good, could we do another First Doctor season with him?

I mean, David Bradley can do anything and I'll watch him do it.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Oooh. I like this a lot. Capaldi reading the Zygon Inversion script live, it's somewhat different and still powerful as heck.

https://youtu.be/6sMgwIUECSs

Oh brilliant
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular

He's so good, could we do another First Doctor season with him?

Big Finish have.

wUcS4a6.png
    cIbZDof.png
    VTaLogo.jpg

I picked up the first volume on sale last year, I really must get around to trying it out.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    What the... what?

Jazz wrote: »
    What the... what?

That's What Happens When Copy Writers Insist On Capitalizing Each Word In A Headline.

Or, are you more confused by the method of murder? Cause yeah, that seems pretty insane.

Jazz wrote: »
    What the... what?

That's What Happens When Copy Writers Insist On Capitalizing Each Word In A Headline.

Or, are you more confused by the method of murder? Cause yeah, that seems pretty insane.

Okay, Jesus, I was not picking up on this at all. I was just annoyed at the grammar and decided I had fallen into a cultural divide I didn't previously know about.

But nope, I'm just dumb!

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Someone explain this to me. Was that posted somewhere other than that tweet?

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    If you track down the article sources, it is from the German Doctor Who, which makes so much more sense. They should never have greenlit that spinoff.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6644439/German-doctor-killed-lover-sprinkling-cocaine-penis-oral-sex-jailed-nine-years.html

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Just wait until you hear what the German companions get up to!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Oooh. I like this a lot. Capaldi reading the Zygon Inversion script live, it's somewhat different and still powerful as heck.

https://youtu.be/6sMgwIUECSs
    I feel like that speech could be legitimately given to Brexiteers with only minimal alterations.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    That button thing with the Zygons was silly.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Someone, I think it was @evilbob , linked an installment of this Who documentary series by a Youtuber named Richard Carrier and it really is wonderful work. I've had an awful flu this weekend and watching all eight (so far) installments has been a big help to my mood. The most recent installment just came out in December and a quick look in this thread seems to suggest nobody linked it, so I'll do that now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3SRhIn4W4

This series is the only work this Youtuber has done to date, but holy gosh is it what I wish Youtube had a lot more of. It's real criticism, rich and information-dense, full of actual biographical and historical research, and discusses the show in a really comprehensive, holistic way: he talks about the various creative highs and lows but instead of stopping there (as nearly all Youtube criticism tends to do) he looks at how what ended up on screen was shaped by what was going on behind the camera, by contemporary current events, and trends the television medium at the time. And it's all presented in a calm, clear voice without shtick or gimmick; he makes the information the star, rather than himself. But the presentation is also slick enough to not be distracting, it's not eight intolerable hours of a sweaty man railing at you from his echoey bomb shelter basement.

I would watch a lot more Youtube content if it were up to this level of snuff and was this rich a diet of information. I've been a Doctor Who fan longer than a lot of posters here have even been alive and I still learned quite a bit. It's absolutely a worthwhile use of one's time.

rRwz9.gif