As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Government Shutdown 2018/2019 - read mod post on pg 23

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    They said he was going to take questions, so he bailed.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    "Drugs coming across the border will be cut by a number that nobody will believe." So just like the rest of your numbers and "stats" then.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, Pelosi keeps sticking the shiv in:

Pelosi, asked how Trump will handle backdown on reopening government without wall money, gestures toward her office decorations: “we could plant these flowers along the border and he’d say, ‘I got my wall.’ “

John Harwood is a reporter for CNBC.

She's been waiting for this. I'm just reminded of the original World of Cardboard speech.

To use a phrase from Achewood, she's got the chessboard out but he's playing Whack-a-Mole.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Washington Post's General Story on the CR

I just want to point to the top line of this:
    The outcome was a win for Democrats and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who had insisted on no negotiations until the government was reopened.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    "If we don't get a fair deal, the government will shut down again, or I will use the laws and constitution to address this emergency."

There it is. He's pre-emptively declaring a national emergency.

Edit: I think the last thing I heard was someone yelling "Why did you cave!?"

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    oh my god he is saying he will shut it down again or do an emergency
    wow

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Wow he practically ran from the podium.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    He literally said that people coming to the border have a "glimmer of hope to get into (our country)" and that the wall will prevent that....so he basically said his wall will kill hope.

Good. Smart.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Wow we all already thought we knew every card in your hand you probably shouldn't have told us that was your hand

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sam Stein (news outlet contributor) has framed this in amazing fashion:
    Art of the Deal: hold out 35 days to end up where you could have been on Day 1. Only you’ve pissed off the opposition and let down your allies and killed your poll numbers
    Not included is that yeah, Trump is threatening to shut down the government again anyway and good LORD he loves shooting himself in the foot.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    End on a threat.

Nice.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    "Democrats have offered billions of dollars for the wall, whether it's steel or concrete or whatever it is" (paraphrasing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_aLESDql1U

I don't think that's an offer, I think it's the starting point of a negotiation, Donald, and they've made it clear they aren't letting you use it for anything resembling a wall.

• HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I hope the Democrats get to respond in kind to this campaign speech.

Just get the clean CR passed into law first. Save the response for after SOTU.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Marathon wrote: »
    wow, threatening to shut the government down again, or he’ll declare an emergency.

Wait, "or"? How is he going to decide?

Undead Scottsman on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Wow we all already thought we knew every card in your hand you probably shouldn't have told us that was your hand

Remember, this is the man who said we shouldn't broadcast our strategies in fighting terrorism.

He considers immigration across the southern border terrorism -- and now apparently Dems too.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    wow

And in his office, Mitch McConnell reaches for a fifth of Kentucky's finest. Because I can only imagine the shit storm that's about to descend on him.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    wow

He just can't stop taking credit for shutting the govt down on camera. So if he does it again basically the end result will be the same even the GOP does not really care a flying fig about the wall nobody wants to tie their careers to it so his support in the senate is at best sullen silence.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    What's the deets? Is this permanent or for three weeks? Did he concede anything? Is this for real or is it more bullshit with wall funding having to be included?

Nobeard on
    Hirocon wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    I hope the Democrats get to respond in kind to this campaign speech.

Just get the clean CR passed into law first. Save the response for after SOTU.

Oh, I agree. I was just being snarky, as this was like one of his rallies, trying to build up FUD about almost everyone coming into the country.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Trump totally ad libbed the entire thing about human trafficking, literally all of it.

Jordan Fabian is a correspondent for The Hill.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I really don't see how you can make an argument of a national emergency when you literally just said that you are thinking about declaring an emergency in 3 weeks if congress doesn't do what you want. You can't plan to have an emergency on specific future dates. That's why they're, you know, emergencies.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Nobeard wrote: »
    What's the deets? Is this permanent or for three weeks? Did he concede anything? Is this for real or is it more bullshit with wall funding having to be included?

He said that Congress would send him a deal to re-open the government for 3 weeks. Then 30 minutes of ranging about immigrants as terrorists.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I still have serious doubts Trump would actually veto anything. This shutdown hinged on Congress covering for him

• TuminTumin Registered User regular

3 week clean CR until Feb 15th

No other actionable details or new information, commitments. Just threats and bluster.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Temporary. He conceded nothing. Then threatened to do it again if he doesn't get wall.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

He said he would sign a 3 week clean CR.
    Then did his planned State of the Union address.
    Then threatened to shut it down again or declare a national emergency if he doesn't get his wall.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Senate still has to vote, but Trump agreed to sign a three week clean CR.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    "You've spent 35 days not giving me what I want despite mounting pressure. But if you don't give me what I want in 15 days then... then... then I'll show you!"

It's pathetic. He's got nothing, can't get what he wants, has no idea how to actually negotiate, and just keeps spouting the same manifesto over and over again thinking, I guess, people will somehow be convinced.

I really miss politicians saying things that were technically not lies. Merely misrepresenting the truth or cherry-picking numbers and statements. Rather than simply making shit up off the cuff and insisting over and over that it's true.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Also
    last two sentences are where reality finally came out of his mouth. No wall. Ill do a state of emergency if no wall.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Trump agreeing gives the Senate Republicans cover to vote. They can do the voice vote and just let it through. Already had 6 swap anyway.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Pelosi should tell Trump no to a SOTU because of his stupid fucking threat of another shutdown.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    wow

He just can't stop taking credit for shutting the govt down on camera. So if he does it again basically the end result will be the same even the GOP does not really care a flying fig about the wall nobody wants to tie their careers to it so his support in the senate is at best sullen silence.

He is incapable of not trying to assert dominance in every situation.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Does Maggie need trafficking experts to say that his speech wasn’t grounded in reality? Most of the sentences were unfinished. At one point he said millions of years. Another point he said the opposite word that he meant.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Do we A: know how quickly a vote can be taken/papers signed/etc etc and B: how quickly things will start back up once passed?

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I have family currently surviving on charity meals and fried spam. And yeah, less than a month from even the spam drying up and loss of remaining assets (I'll help if they'll take it, we'll see).

And quitting to get another job isn't even an option, because Coast Guard. Trying that gets you a criminal prosecution. So it's starvation and loss of assets, enforced with a court-martial.

Plead Justification; they can't be expected to starve for their country.

Gaddez on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Trump totally ad libbed the entire thing about human trafficking, literally all of it.

Jordan Fabian is a correspondent for The Hill.

This is the best thing yet. Fucking high comedy.

He has the best speechwriters.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So, Trump caved, and spectacularly.

In a system with rational actors, I'd say the move for Congress here in the face of the utter defeat of Trump, would be to pass an actual full budget that doesn't fund the wall and prevents the POTUS from diverting emergency funds to the wall.

Both parties, absent Trump would come out looking far better publicly, neither has to actually give up anything (the wall, while Trump didn't originate the talking point, wasn't a point of budgetary contention between the parties) and they'd get to move the blame entirely to Trump for any future happenings.

Not a CR, an actual bill.

It won't happen, because it isn't the current reality we live in and if nothing else McConnell wouldn't play ball.

But man, think of the opportunity, if they took it. Get off any blame on Congress, look productive and functional, win public support, appear to be unified against Trump as he increasingly becomes unhinged, and investigations close in, lets Republicans who are "forced" to support him because of party and politics have a way out while still appearing to be protecting the country and supporting conservative values, and pushes the actual supporters in Congress to a substantially smaller group who can be then isolated and when the inevitable happens with the investigation and/or impeachment, the precedent will have already been established for support in both houses to vote to impeach.

They've been given a clean way out of this, but there's no way they're going to take it. EDIT: It would still force Trump to veto it, but this gives them a clean way to override the veto without compromising support for enough Republicans and give them a way to distance the shutdown and Trump in 2020. Overriding a Trump veto on this would just be all that much more of a win for Congress, for both parties.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Pelosi should tell Trump no to a SOTU because of his stupid fucking threat of another shutdown.

Just schedule it for the 16th.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

"We see no need for him to address Congress in-person, as he has already done so during his Rose Garden speech of 25 January. He may, at his option, submit a formal written report. In crayon."

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Just schedule it for the 16th.

The 16th, "assuming we have passed a funding bill to keep the US government open."

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
This discussion has been closed.