As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Government Shutdown 2018/2019 - read mod post on pg 23

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

PBS news correspondent so complete denial from the Trump white house.

Zero is, technically speaking, a number. Right?

Kushner is, technically speaking, a WH official.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    hahahaha oh my god.. What Pelosi said to McConnell.
    “I know he is a professional,” Pelosi said of McConnell. “So it is particularly painful to see him kowtowing to the president of the United States. And I said to him, ‘Do you just want to abolish the Congress or maybe just the United States Senate? Because that is effectively what you’re doing.’”

Asked what McConnell said in response, Pelosi replied: “What does he ever say? Nothing.”

This 2019 Pelosi Burn Machine cannot be stopped.

God damn she is just out of fucks to give isn't she?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    “I know he is a professional,” Pelosi said of McConnell. “So it is particularly painful to see him kowtowing to the president of the United States. And I said to him, ‘Do you just want to abolish the Congress or maybe just the United States Senate? Because that is effectively what you’re doing.’”

Asked what McConnell said in response, Pelosi replied: “What does he ever say? Nothing.”

Pelosi's gonna be doing victory laps on this shutdown alone for years. Maybe she'll actually use some of the "political capital" she's earned from it.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

The power of the blue wave is coursing through her veins.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I have to imagine we're going to get some 'President Pelosi' headlines/covers out of this.

Good on the Dems for holding strong.

This is why I like Pelosi.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    What's the deets? Is this permanent or for three weeks? Did he concede anything? Is this for real or is it more bullshit with wall funding having to be included?

Senate still has to vote, but Trump agreed to sign a three week clean CR.

Do we A: know how quickly a vote can be taken/papers signed/etc etc and B: how quickly things will start back up once passed?

How pathetic. On Dec. 19, the Senate unanimously passed essentially the same legislation that we will vote on today. We are back to exactly where we started. Thank you, Mr. President, for shutting down the government and holding 800,000 federal employees hostage. All for nothing!

Bernie Sanders is a Senator

This just went out.

More democrats need go get on this messaging.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    What's the deets? Is this permanent or for three weeks? Did he concede anything? Is this for real or is it more bullshit with wall funding having to be included?

Senate still has to vote, but Trump agreed to sign a three week clean CR.

Do we A: know how quickly a vote can be taken/papers signed/etc etc and B: how quickly things will start back up once passed?

How pathetic. On Dec. 19, the Senate unanimously passed essentially the same legislation that we will vote on today. We are back to exactly where we started. Thank you, Mr. President, for shutting down the government and holding 800,000 federal employees hostage. All for nothing!

Bernie Sanders is a Senator

This just went out.

More democrats need go get on this messaging.

can we wait until after the president actually signs it

because someone might have told trump the new legislation is a big win for him

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Nancy Pelosi never really had time for the right wing.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Fuck y'all if Pelosi wasn't so old I'd wish she would run

God damn

• centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    Pelosi isn't the hero we wanted. She's the hero we need.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Senate just passed the CR bill.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited January 2019
    Oghulk wrote: »

God damn

I mean I like her in the house a shitton but going forward if we don't have a potus nom that supports single payer of some form, the party's going to fracture and we're going to hand republicans victories over and over

override367 on
    So how long until the workers actually get their back pay?

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    CNBC reporter:

So it is dunk on Trump day.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

God damn

I mean I like her in the house a shitton but going forward if we don't have a potus nom that supports single payer of some form, the party's going to fracture and we're going to hand republicans victories over and over

Not on topic

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The SOTU is going to be hilarious.

"The state of the union is strong. No. Really. Guys, stop laughing. Damnit, it's not that funny."

Scheduling it for the 16th feels good in a cathartic way, but I agree with ElJeffe; Pelosi said open the government if he wants his tv time. Fine, give the address as long as the government is still open at that time. That was the deal.

If he manages to fuck things up again, then the original deal stands; no government, no SOTU.

I can not and will not abide by the GOP in general, and Trump in particular, trampling over every norm and standard, only to shed crocodile tears the moment the game is turned about on them.

Want everyone to play nice? Then they can start. They don't get to break things intentionally and then expect the Democrats in Congress to be the adults in the room every time, fixing their fuckery with patience that would qualify them for sainthood.

I think we can safely say that SNL this weekend is going to be on fire, and if that ruins Trump's week, I'm entirely okay with that.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Yeah Trump is mega fucked now. The airline workers will probably start the slowdown on day 1 of any new shutdown, which will force Trump to cave in even faster. Then Ann Coulter and Fox New people are gonna be mean to him and there will be nothing he can do to fix it.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The proper course of action for the SOTU is to do whatever needs to be done to hold it on schedule, fast track shit as necessary, put in overtime as needed, and then point out "This is how much extra it cost us due to Trump's tantrum."

The messaging going forward, especially until we get some actual long term funding for the government, should be a statement of the economic and human costs of this shutdown, and with a reminder that it ended with Trump getting nothing. The only people who supported Trump during the shutdown did so because they thought they might get a wall out of it. (Yes, some people are just partisan assholes or just fundamentally hate the idea that government exists, but I'm pretending those people don't exist.) If Trump tries to shutdown again, those people will know they're not getting anything out of it but pain, and support for Trump will instantly collapse. The more people in Trump's orbit who understand this, the less likely we have another shutdown.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I would be stunned if he ever shuts down the government again. Bluff called and it only gets worse for him if he tries again.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    On the one hand, I like the message Senator Sanders is getting out there, that this was an utterly unnecessary shutdown that ended up exactly where we were before the shutdown. On the other hand, I'd like to refrain from taunting Trump until AFTER he signs the bill, thank you very much. Like it would be an utterly foolish move for Trump to veto the funding bill at this point, but it was also an utterly foolish move for him to torpedo the original one.

And I know it was a few pages back in the thread, but Ann Coulter calling George H. W. Bush a wimp disgusts me. Of course pretty much everything she puts out there disgusts me, so I am not really surprised. I am somewhat curious what her beef was with him, though, since on the face of it he seemed to more or less push her desired agenda?

steam_sig.png
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    I would be stunned if he ever shuts down the government again. Bluff called and it only gets worse for him if he tries again.

He thinks he actually came out ahead, I believe

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Yeah Trump is mega fucked now. The airline workers will probably start the slowdown on day 1 of any new shutdown, which will force Trump to cave in even faster. Then Ann Coulter and Fox New people are gonna be mean to him and there will be nothing he can do to fix it.

I don't think it will be that instantaneous, but because the fact there is no reasoning with Trump no matter the cost to the people all has now been proven, as soon as he digs his heels in, the consequences start.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    The SOTU is going to be hilarious.

"The state of the union is strong. No. Really. Guys, stop laughing. Damnit, it's not that funny."

Scheduling it for the 16th feels good in a cathartic way, but I agree with ElJeffe; Pelosi said open the government if he wants his tv time. Fine, give the address as long as the government is still open at that time. That was the deal.

If he manages to fuck things up again, then the original deal stands; no government, no SOTU.

I can not and will not abide by the GOP in general, and Trump in particular, trampling over every norm and standard, only to shed crocodile tears the moment the game is turned about on them.

Want everyone to play nice? Then they can start. They don't get to break things intentionally and then expect the Democrats in Congress to be the adults in the room every time, fixing their fuckery with patience that would qualify them for sainthood.

I think we can safely say that SNL this weekend is going to be on fire, and if that ruins Trump's week, I'm entirely okay with that.

They should just do SOTU themselves right now. I bet Pelosi would let them use the House chamber on Saturday night even.

edited January 2019
    chrisnl wrote: »
    On the one hand, I like the message Senator Sanders is getting out there, that this was an utterly unnecessary shutdown that ended up exactly where we were before the shutdown. On the other hand, I'd like to refrain from taunting Trump until AFTER he signs the bill, thank you very much. Like it would be an utterly foolish move for Trump to veto the funding bill at this point, but it was also an utterly foolish move for him to torpedo the original one.

And I know it was a few pages back in the thread, but Ann Coulter calling George H. W. Bush a wimp disgusts me. Of course pretty much everything she puts out there disgusts me, so I am not really surprised. I am somewhat curious what her beef was with him, though, since on the face of it he seemed to more or less push her desired agenda?

He raised taxes and lost the presidency to a Clinton. There can be no greater crimes amoung Republicans.

Undead Scottsman on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The Hill reports thusly on the SotU:
    Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said there are no plans to move forward with the State of the Union next Tuesday, despite President Trump's announcement that he would sign a short-term measure reopening the government.

"The State of the Union is not planned now," Pelosi told reporters at a press conference Friday.

"What I said to the president is, when the government is open we will discuss a mutually agreeable date and I'll look forward to doing that and welcoming the president to the House of Representatives when we mutually agree on that date."

https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/427037-pelosi-says-state-of-the-union-date-to-be-determined-after-shutdown

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know when the House is coming back from recess? And or how long they are required to kibbitz about the bill before they can pass it?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • HiroconHirocon Registered User regular

I don't think he's going to shut the government down again but I do think he's going to try going the "emergency" route.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

He thinks he actually came out ahead, I believe

i mean, he also is probably still bringing up his "historic 2016 election victory, the biggest landslide of all time" unprompted every chance he can

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    obviously I like the things Pelosi is saying, particularly about McConnell, but it seems necessary to point out that air traffic controllers and the flight attendants union probably had a lot to do with making this happen, too

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Does anyone know when the House is coming back from recess? And or how long they are required to kibbitz about the bill before they can pass it?

Last item on their page:
    The Speaker announced that the House do now recess. The next meeting is subject to the call of the Chair.

Not sure what that means

Edit:. Oh, ok, but that does mean they aren't done for the day; that would be adjournment. That was 1400 EST, so hopefully soon

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

He raised taxes and lost the presidency to a Clinton. There can be no greater crimes amoung Republicans.

Bush being called a wimp comes from a Newsweek cover in '87 and something that followed him into the White House.

A contemporary reference, to be sure.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    obviously I like the things Pelosi is saying, particularly about McConnell, but it seems necessary to point out that air traffic controllers and the flight attendants union probably had a lot to do with making this happen, too

Most definitely, but the consistency of message and the fire her and people like Mike Bennet (D-CO) were spewing the last few days I think probably buoyed things by showing that someone on the Hill would have their backs if they decided to start collective actions.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Last item on their page:
    The Speaker announced that the House do now recess. The next meeting is subject to the call of the Chair.

Not sure what that means

Basically whenever the Chair (in this case, Speaker Pelosi, I'm assuming) feels like it.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Yeah so I'm reading the comments here and it looks like I missed some pure concentrated dementia around 2 pm.

But hey! Good news, we're going to have a clean CR, the dems gave up nothing of value and trump's credibility with the base is maimed.

As to the state of the union: Nancy Pelosi can tell Donald* he gets it 2 days after he signs the CR.

*artist rendition of said conversation with the president*

• jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

Bush the elder thought immigrants were people

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Well I’m really hoping they get this thing up and running again today. That would give the most time for HR to come back and get all the paychecks out and would also give Trump less time to change his mind.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Please stop talking about Bush

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

I would bet my neighbor's spleen that if he doesn't have his wall by the 14th things he'll tell McConnell to shut things down again on the 15th, since that and his emergency declaration are the only things he has left that even have a slight possibility of getting the thing started.

(That said, I don't particularly like my neighbor, so I'm not terribly invested in being certain about this.)

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »

I don't think it will be that instantaneous, but because the fact there is no reasoning with Trump no matter the cost to the people all has now been proven, as soon as he digs his heels in, the consequences start.

No I think they found a weak spot for this White House's circle. Billionaires need airports too.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    The Hill reports thusly on the SotU:
    Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said there are no plans to move forward with the State of the Union next Tuesday, despite President Trump's announcement that he would sign a short-term measure reopening the government.

"The State of the Union is not planned now," Pelosi told reporters at a press conference Friday.

"What I said to the president is, when the government is open we will discuss a mutually agreeable date and I'll look forward to doing that and welcoming the president to the House of Representatives when we mutually agree on that date."

https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/427037-pelosi-says-state-of-the-union-date-to-be-determined-after-shutdown
    Well she's not denying it happening, she's just saying they haven't figured out when to do it yet. This could easily change. Right now the priority is getting the CR through, the SOTU can wait a few days.

This discussion has been closed.