As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Government Shutdown 2018/2019 - read mod post on pg 23

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Well I’m really hoping they get this thing up and running again today. That would give the most time for HR to come back and get all the paychecks out and would also give Trump less time to change his mind.

I found this, it seems to address most of the questions I have on the subject of how restarting will work. It looks like they're pretty on the ball and that it shouldn't take too long once the actual go-ahead is given.

https://wtop.com/government/2019/01/faq-with-shutdown-end-in-sight-when-do-feds-return-to-work-when-will-they-get-paid/

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Brutal J wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    H0b0man wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Right-wing media is not taking this well
    Red State wrote:
    This is not a good look if Trump is serious about getting the money for the wall. Already last evening he was showing flopsweat by floating a “down payment” idea. This is called “negotiating with yourself,” and it is what desperate people do.

I think it's safe to say Trump will be taking the government hostage again in 3 weeks

I'll be surprised if he actually signs the CR now.

He has to. He made a big public speech about opening the government back up. If he backtracks on this it's even more clear who is responsible for people not getting paid. It would literally be worse than if he just didn't do anything today and let the shutdown continue as it had.
    Also it would be prudent for it to pass with a veto proof majority.

They have to vote again to override the veto, and there is no guarantee the right will do that.
    It would provide the president coverage. Which means it is more likely to win. “I would have vetoed it but they had a veto proof majority.”

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Hirocon wrote: »
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    I would be stunned if he ever shuts down the government again. Bluff called and it only gets worse for him if he tries again.

I don't think he's going to shut the government down again but I do think he's going to try going the "emergency" route.

I suspect this is the case. He trots out emergency it gets immediately tied up in courts and he just get a talking point where he can rail against activist judges and then never bother to try to do anything serious with the wall ever again.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Trump's going to use the SOTU to try and create a narrative where it's the Democrats' fault if the government shuts down again on February 15th.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Trump's going to use the SOTU to try and create a narrative where it's the Democrats' fault if the government shuts down again on February 15th.

Which is why Pelosi will politely suggest a time after February 15th for the State of the Union.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Thankfully nobody bought it the first time.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Edit - Actually cheerleader posts are lame, sorry about that.

Henroid on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    After this I’ll probably go ahead and say that despite my personal preference on the SOTU issue, Pelosi knows very well what she’s doing and I’ll trust her judgment. She’s earned it.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I’m having a celebratory beer and steak. Excited to see half my coworkers next week!

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I’m having a celebratory beer and steak. Excited to see half my coworkers next week!

I don't want to bring everyone down, but we still don't have an open government yet. I'll celebrate when the bill is signed, and no one can say takesies backsies anymore.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    House floor activity:

http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.aspx

If anyone wants a page to feverishly refresh

(Still in recess at time of posting)

http://houselive.gov/

Its a video I have open in the background so I can hear when they come back.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

I don't want to bring everyone down, but we still don't have an open government yet. I'll celebrate when the bill is signed, and no one can say takesies backsies anymore.

Yeah, this whole thing started with him being called out by conservative pundits and changing his mind. It’s not done until it’s signed.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I have an international flight on 2/3, so I'm kind of relieved that this is at least temporarily over.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

Yeah, this whole thing started with him being called out by conservative pundits and changing his mind. It’s not done until it’s signed.

That’s true. I’m just glad we’re getting something. I’m super lucky: no dependents and my parents were willing and able to help me if needed. Not everybody can say that. I know some people who had to ask to delay their mortgage payment or tell their kids they had to skip doctor’s appointments.

I think my favorite moment was when they sent an email oh so casually reminding us that we better not go into debt or it could fuck up background checks. Or maybe when they pre-approved us to become Uber drivers.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I'm trying to get caught up on this and so far I've learned that yesterdays vote failure had Republicans at the Senate luncheon pointing directly at Mitch McConnell and that now hashtagTrumpCaved is trending on Twitter and both of those things make me happy.

Let them eat eachother.

Oh and also Pelosi is just hella burning Trump and has still postponed his SOTU until the government is opened back up proper. Tasty, man. Tasty.

Juggernut on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Artereis wrote: »
    I have an international flight on 2/3, so I'm kind of relieved that this is at least temporarily over.

My flight is the Monday after the extension expires. Should be OK, but still some uncertainty there. :(

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    McConnell told Trump he didn't know if GOP could keep holding the line
    From CNN's Manu Raju

MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images
    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell spoke with President Trump twice on Thursday — and Trump made the decision late Thursday that he wanted the shutdown to end, per a person familiar with their conversations

The first call came after a contentious Senate GOP lunch where Republican senators vented frustration at Vice President Mike Pence about the lack of strategy to get out of the shutdown. McConnell told Trump that it was unclear how much longer he could get GOP senators to hold the line — especially if there were another round of votes to end the shutdown.

A few hours later, Trump called McConnell back with a new perspective: Trump made clear he wanted the shutdown to end, which led to the deal that was approved by Congress Friday.

What's unclear, according to the source, is what exactly got Trump to change his mind in the intervening hours between their two phone calls.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/government-shutdown-month-2019/h_33ead7edc477096438fc273329ae0fb6

Undead Scottsman on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    House has passed it. It is up to Trump now.

Also in the I didn't notice but damn Nancy.

I didn't catch this before but the short-term spending bill (CR) includes a reauthorization/extension of the Violence Against Women Act per McConnell spox.

NPR Reporter

u7stthr17eud.png
    I'm fairly certain the House just passed the CR, but my boss was talking into my other ear, so it was hard to hear.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm going to call this a win for unionised labour. The ATC Union were kind of the pressure that broke the stalemate and even though the Dems can definitely be hailed for not caving they didn't exactly have to do much other than say no and not break ranks. The pressure wasn't even that high on them: broad public and critical support, a clear idealogical and policy position to take, the moral high ground...

The shutdown was a massive gift to the Dems. They wrapped it up in a bow and sent it to the House Majority Leader on a silver platter. I can't believe what an unbelievably unforced error this was for the GOP and I bet a lot of GOP Senators feel the same way. That's kind of a big deal.

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    hahahaha oh my god.. What Pelosi said to McConnell.
    “I know he is a professional,” Pelosi said of McConnell. “So it is particularly painful to see him kowtowing to the president of the United States. And I said to him, ‘Do you just want to abolish the Congress or maybe just the United States Senate? Because that is effectively what you’re doing.’”

Asked what McConnell said in response, Pelosi replied: “What does he ever say? Nothing.”

This 2019 Pelosi Burn Machine cannot be stopped.

The one thing I wished to see, that I knew would never happen, was for some reporters to ask some of the Republicans why we even have the Senate if they are just going to parrot Trump.

Thank you Nancy for bringing this dream to life!

steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I didn't catch this before but the short-term spending bill (CR) includes a reauthorization/extension of the Violence Against Women Act per McConnell spox.

NPR Reporter
    Last I heard about that particular act is that even Republicans want it around. Like they aren't actively trying to tank it. Then again, where I heard it from wasn't anyone particularly reliable. I just kinda hope in my heart it's true.

Mazzyx wrote: »

NPR Reporter

Man, that is 1000% better than what I could have hoped for. Nancy Pelosi bring home the bacon. Or something, I'm bad at idioms.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    McConnell told Trump he didn't know if GOP could keep holding the line
    What's unclear, according to the source, is what exactly got Trump to change his mind in the intervening hours between their two phone calls.

What was on TV during those two hours?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    “I know he is a professional,” Pelosi said of McConnell. “So it is particularly painful to see him kowtowing to the president of the United States. And I said to him, ‘Do you just want to abolish the Congress or maybe just the United States Senate? Because that is effectively what you’re doing.’”

Asked what McConnell said in response, Pelosi replied: “What does he ever say? Nothing.”

The one thing I wished to see, that I knew would never happen, was for some reporters to ask some of the Republicans why we even have the Senate if they are just going to parrot Trump.

Remember when this whole mess started after the Republican-controlled House said they were waiting on a tweet from Trump to tell them what to do? Perhaps the question to ask is why the Republican party even exists if they are just going to parrot Trump.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Remember when this whole mess started after the Republican-controlled House said they were waiting on a tweet from Trump to tell them what to do? Perhaps the question to ask is why the Republican party even exists if they are just going to parrot Trump.

... who (incoherently) parrots what he sees on FOX. We are being governed by a cable "news" channel.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

I think this is looking at it the wrong way. It is perfectly sensible: Trump is everything the Republican party has been striving and hoping for since Nixon (and especially obviously since the Gingrich years in congress). That they should be in accord is not hard to understand.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I think this is looking at it the wrong way. It is perfectly sensible: Trump is everything the Republican party has been striving and hoping for since Nixon (and especially obviously since the Gingrich years in congress). That they should be in accord is not hard to understand.

Sure, Trump is the Republican id made manifest, but I think there's a difference between the typical "our goals are X, therefore we will vote for them together" and the current "we have no idea what Trump might do next, but we have to go along with it regardless".

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited January 2019
    So going forward: the government opens up until the 15th, Trump knows he won't ever get his wall money and another shutdown over it would hurt him very badly, so he declares a state of emergency and uses the DoD to "build" the wall. He declares complete and total victory over the Democrats and then passes whatever spending bill lands on his desk. Much lauding of his masterful mastery of Deals commences. The SoE more than likely gets hit with some kind of lawsuit, gets tied up in courts or stuck in a development hell long enough for people to more or less forget about it. Maybe a few hundred feet of wall gets built. Maybe it doesn't.

Does that sound about right?

Juggernut on
    Honestly, trying to predict Trump's actions is a fool's errand. Hopefully, Senate Rep's decide they're done taking pain for Trump's shutdowns, and just make a bunch of noise while passing a year long budget, and Trump does w/e Trump will do.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    So going forward: the government opens up until the 15th, Trump knows he won't ever get his wall money and another shutdown over it would hurt him very badly, so he declares a state of emergency and uses the DoD to "build" the wall. He declares complete and total victory over the Democrats and then passes whatever spending bill lands on his desk. Much lauding of his masterful mastery of Deals commences. The SoE more than likely gets hit with some kind of lawsuit, gets tied up in courts or stuck in a development hell long enough for people to more or less forget about it. Maybe a few hundred feet of wall gets built. Maybe it doesn't.

Does that sound about right?

That's my theory as well

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting for Trump to sign the damn thing. Anything I'm missing indicating if he will or won't tonight, or is everything currently in a blind wait-and-see pattern?

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for Trump to sign the damn thing. Anything I'm missing indicating if he will or won't tonight, or is everything currently in a blind wait-and-see pattern?

He could always pull a “WILD CARD BITCHES! YEE HAW!” But I don’t think refusing to sign this is going to bring his popularity back up any, particularly among congressional Republicans.

So it's about taking care of the people hurt, then he immediately follows that with referring to that pain as "off to the races."

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

He was hoping we all had the political understanding of 3rd graders

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

He lost and he fucking knows it, and it must be eating him up inside.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    The shutdown

THAT YOU FUCKING STARTED YOU FHFHGJGKSN

This discussion has been closed.