As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Listening to the OST on Youtube, I think this might take over as my favorite. They did an amazing job.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey folks, so I got this and have been enjoying it greatly. However I just got introduced into lightning strikes and hey, not cool, game.

Also it was very kind of them to put the F-14D so early in the tech tree so I can have the best plane basically immediately.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The Tomcat is a personal favorite of mine. Probably due to Top Gun and GI Joe if I had to hazard a guess. I suppose SWAT Cats also contributed.

Those variable wings though, lewd as all get out.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I was always partial to the Rafale thanks to Zero, the king of dogfighting(and the round table).

wVEsyIc.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The F-14D was my first purchase in the game, though I like the F-16C.

Man the explosions in this game are awesome! I was playing around with the cruise missiles and you can see the dirt fly up around the ground next to the explosion or pieces of burning debris falling from destroyed drones.

One of the other things that bothered me a bit was that the CG scene art looked amazing but the CG characters looked almost last gen. I'd rather they skimp on that then somewhere else, but still.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    This final mission, I just can't.

wVEsyIc.png
    Phew. That final mission is white knuckle. Not as 'epic' as the likes of other games, maybe, but it sure had me sweating.

I'd say it's somewhere around 4 and 6 for me, but the game doesn't top 0 or 5. The highs are something else though, and damn is this game beautiful.

wVEsyIc.png
    I cannot see that pilots name and not see "Knockers" and laugh a little.

So, my Hori HOTAS is coming in today (by UPS no less, so it should be at my door when I get back from work). I'll report my findings, and whether or not I'm keeping it, then.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking that my flightstick is going to be very handy for the Complete Campaign With Machine Guns Only playthrough.

Do we know if it needs to be a single campaign playthrough or if you can free-mission it?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I have to say, I really dig the weather.

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

So, my Hori HOTAS is coming in today (by UPS no less, so it should be at my door when I get back from work). I'll report my findings, and whether or not I'm keeping it, then.

Personally I can answer that question for you now, you're going to keep it. :)

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I ended up standing really close to my TV while doing the Canyon Run because I lost my bearings and slammed into the wall a few times

3basnids3lf9.jpg

So you know if it functions well as a legacy USB HOTAS? :winky:

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I ended up standing really close to my TV while doing the Canyon Run because I lost my bearings and slammed into the wall a few times

I manage to S rank that mission on my first try without dying and I was pretty happy with myself. I didn't get the ace though (and I think I saw it).

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular

IMO... yeah I do.

IMO... yeah I do.

Why haven't you done a write-up?! And extensive tests in different versions of TIE Fighter?

Seriously, though, there's still not a lot of information on any version of it (though I'm guessing the differences between Xbox and Playstation versus are pretty minimal, excluding the "haptic feedback" thing). Hori is known for good build quality, but considering I own a (superior) X-56, it could be hard to justify keeping it.

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular

IMO... yeah I do.

Why haven't you done a write-up?! And extensive tests in different versions of TIE Fighter?

Seriously, though, there's still not a lot of information on any version of it (though I'm guessing the differences between Xbox and Playstation versus are pretty minimal, excluding the "haptic feedback" thing). Hori is known for good build quality, but considering I own a (superior) X-56, it could be hard to justify keeping it.

Am I the only one who kind of half wants to outfit a real-life F-35 with a repurposed XBone controller and see how it works?

riker_ins_joystick.jpg

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Now I'm curious about how well AC 7 is gonna play with my HOTAS setup on PC. I know it'll be overkill as fuck but damnit, I want to make it work.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Soooo...aside from not having stick twist, which for a US$200 HOTAS is rather perplexing....it does not appear to be fully recognized as a game controller in Windows 10. Partially, in that it is detected, but not fully, in that nothing else.

That does not bode well.

It does at least work on Xbox One, though admittedly you'd have to sort of re-learn Ace Combat with it.

Just hooked up the PSVR. Wow this is pretty crazy! lol. I love being able to look all around, it makes following your target sooooo much easier. However the graphic's look like they've been downgraded to PS2/3 level. Is that what other people are getting? I really hope they release more missions as DLC and I can't imagine how awesome it would be on the PC sets with graphic's equal to non-VR PS4 Pro.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

IMO... yeah I do.

Am I the only one who kind of half wants to outfit a real-life F-35 with a repurposed XBone controller and see how it works?

riker_ins_joystick.jpg

I don't know about the rest of the planes but the stick in an F-16 barely moves. It works on pressure. The only reason it moves at all is because pilots got confused easily otherwise.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Game is beat. I'm gonna go back through again and s everything on ace difficulty.

I want to platinum the game, but I won't do the MP stuff, so that's right out.

LD50 wrote: »
    Game is beat. I'm gonna go back through again and s everything on ace difficulty.

I want to platinum the game, but I won't do the MP stuff, so that's right out.

It's not hard to do. Play all eight stages, win a team battle, win a battle royale, play a bunch of both, done.

wVEsyIc.png
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    My new mousepad arrived in time for the PC release.

au306hblbf9b.jpg

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Boogdud wrote: »
    The multi in this game is complete unadulterated bullshit. The power difference between even the higher end planes and the uber ones is so vast that shouldn't even be allowed in a normal match. You are so outgunned it's not even worth trying, you literally can't hit them. It's awful.

AC6's MP was pretty trash too. If you spent the money on an Idolmaster F-117a you could just lazily do circles dodging everything while vomiting QAAMs at everyone thanks to having a huge payload of them.

In AC6 MP, I cleaned up by just taking the fastest jet I had with multi-target SP AAMs, and climbing to high altitude to do diving attacks against virtually everyone on the map. Two-dimensional thinking was clearly rampant.

There may have been Idolmaster F-117s in the matches, also cleaning house with their QAAMs. But there was apparently room in this town for the both of us, because we never butted heads.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    While I didn't like the Aircraft tree at first, it does give me a bit more motivation to play through again to get the SU line of fighters.

*pushes up nerd glasses*

It’s actually Su, pronounced “sue.” It’s not an acronym.

5gsowHm.png
    edited January 2019
    Man, server browser public MP should have disappeared forever early last generation. Waiting around for the last AFKers to “Ready Up”, is something no one should ever have had to deal with after 2005, apart from private matches. Matchmaking needs to be “the bus is leaving NOW, get on it or catch the next one,” with competent bots filling in for players who bail.

Between this antiquated MP system (on PS4), with its delays in launching sorties, and the lack of any substantial rewards for winning or finishing as MVP, I’m probably not sticking with MP longer than it takes to unlock the aircraft tree.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I disagree with that, server browsing means I get to play the game in Australia for a longer period of time.

Matchmaking killed Titanfall 2 here less than a month after launch.

Syngyne wrote: »
    While I didn't like the Aircraft tree at first, it does give me a bit more motivation to play through again to get the SU line of fighters.

*pushes up nerd glasses*

I think "Sukhoi" is honestly less awkward to say.

Su-su-sudio.

*pushes up nerd glasses*

Su-su-sudio.

Oh-oh.

The SU-33 is pretty awesome, so I can see myself using it for most of the path to Laser Flanker.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I've been stuck on mission 7 for about two weeks. I don't know what to do aside from maybe grinding funbucks to get better planes and parts.

What part is tripping you up? I think i was still using the F-14 for it. Maybe the F/A-18.

I find it funny that both this and RE2 have a similarly named antagonist.

wVEsyIc.png
    I've been stuck on mission 7 for about two weeks. I don't know what to do aside from maybe grinding funbucks to get better planes and parts.

Try using a plane with the long range air to air missiles. The AI is surprisingly bad at dealing with long range attacks.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The multi in this game is complete unadulterated bullshit. The power difference between even the higher end planes and the uber ones is so vast that shouldn't even be allowed in a normal match. You are so outgunned it's not even worth trying, you literally can't hit them. It's awful.

AC6's MP was pretty trash too. If you spent the money on an Idolmaster F-117a you could just lazily do circles dodging everything while vomiting QAAMs at everyone thanks to having a huge payload of them.

In AC6 MP, I cleaned up by just taking the fastest jet I had with multi-target SP AAMs, and climbing to high altitude to do diving attacks against virtually everyone on the map. Two-dimensional thinking was clearly rampant.

There may have been Idolmaster F-117s in the matches, also cleaning house with their QAAMs. But there was apparently room in this town for the both of us, because we never butted heads.

Yeah, the F-117a meta made a point of flying low to make diving attacks come with the risk of lawn darting and so that they'd be generally less noticeable. A boom and zoomer and an Idolmaster would end up creating a no fun allowed zone between them.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

*pushes up nerd glasses*

Su-su-sudio.

It also lets you yell sukhoi blyat at Slavic pilots.

5gsowHm.png

*pushes up nerd glasses*

Su-su-sudio.

It also lets you yell sukhoi blyat at Slavic pilots.

You're yelling things? Clearly you don't play DCS where we are all perfect gentlemen (or just really, really shy). "Uh, hello to the Flanker pilot at 4000. Can you hear me? Do you have your headset on? Please flash your landing lights twice if you can hear me, thank you!"

I have to say, I was actually really jazzed to see a TU-PO-LEV Tu-160 so early on in the game. After years of blowing up B-52s it's nice to see other bombers represented. :biggrin:

edited January 2019
    Duplicate. Mobile browsers suck.

Zoku Gojira on

Yeah, the F-117a meta made a point of flying low to make diving attacks come with the risk of lawn darting and so that they'd be generally less noticeable. A boom and zoomer and an Idolmaster would end up creating a no fun allowed zone between them.

Ah. So I was in on creating the no-fun zone, then. At least, for as long as I stuck with the MP. As a wise man once said, it’s a fair cop, but society is to blame.

MP in this game is alright, but desperately needs some Infinity style co-op missions. With all the co-op raiding in games these days, it’s like we got the most recent two AC games in reverse order.