As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] Episode IX: The Rise of the Speculation

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    On one hand you might hate to see the comedy version but on the other hand it was being done by the guys who did the Lego Movie, and Into the Spoderverse, and Cloudy with a chance of meatballs, and 21/22 jump street.

So i would have 100% been willing to give them a chance to do something whacky

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya after seeing Spider-verse I am dying to know what the Lord/Miller Solo movie was.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ketar wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »
    The arcadey flight portion of battlefront isnt even good. Rogue squadron did the leagues better. Give us a new rogue game.

The arcadey flight portion of Battlefront is great. I'd take it over Rogue Squadron any day.

tenor.gif?itemid=5009969

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    This is super weird to see (but neat obviously)—a student trailer for Star Wars if the movie was closer to the original concept art:

https://youtu.be/6AWgzNfzRCk

Really makes you wonder if Star Wars would have been equally iconic this way, and we’d all have fond memories of an alien Han Solo and girl Luke, or if this version wouldn’t have been the same lightning in a bottle as the movie ended up being.

A New Hope is not at all far off from being typical 70s scifi B-movie schlock. In comparison to its contemporaries, it had better special effects, a few better actors, and was intended to be part of a larger story instead of a one-off. I'd say about the only part of it that is far and away better than other scifi films of the time was the music score.

Ultimately, though, the changes which came from the people Lucas was working with are what made ANH, and the whole OT, work. If it had been just Lucas working with that original concept material, I think we would definitely have ended up with another dud of a cheesy 70s scifi film. But if the same people worked on the "true to concept" version instead of the OT we got? Yeah, I think that could still have been just as big and just as memorable.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    This is super weird to see (but neat obviously)—a student trailer for Star Wars if the movie was closer to the original concept art:

https://youtu.be/6AWgzNfzRCk

Really makes you wonder if Star Wars would have been equally iconic this way, and we’d all have fond memories of an alien Han Solo and girl Luke, or if this version wouldn’t have been the same lightning in a bottle as the movie ended up being.

A New Hope is not at all far off from being typical 70s scifi B-movie schlock. In comparison to its contemporaries, it had better special effects, a few better actors, and was intended to be part of a larger story instead of a one-off. I'd say about the only part of it that is far and away better than other scifi films of the time was the music score.

Ultimately, though, the changes which came from the people Lucas was working with are what made ANH, and the whole OT, work. If it had been just Lucas working with that original concept material, I think we would definitely have ended up with another dud of a cheesy 70s scifi film. But if the same people worked on the "true to concept" version instead of the OT we got? Yeah, I think that could still have been just as big and just as memorable.

You're not exactly wrong, but what Star Wars became was nothing like it was originally intended to be. Lucas had vague ideas of continuing to make serial narratives set in the same universe, but that was a practical decision: the ability to reuse physical sets and the background of the universe he'd created. If you guys want to see some wacky shit check out Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which was written during the editing of A New Hope and meant, potentially, to be one of these low-budget sequels.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Very few movies end up the way they are planned. And they are all collaborative.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    On one hand you might hate to see the comedy version but on the other hand it was being done by the guys who did the Lego Movie, and Into the Spoderverse, and Cloudy with a chance of meatballs, and 21/22 jump street.

So i would have 100% been willing to give them a chance to do something whacky

Look at Into the Spiderverse. Look at Solo.

Disney done fucked up.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    X-post

Oh shit folks. My kid asked to watch Star Wars today. We are doing it. Original cut film is playing right now and she’s fully entranced.

I’m so excited. Ahhhhhhhh!

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I wouldn't expect anything until 5/4, trailer wise.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Star Wars Celebration is April 11-15.

It’ll premiere there.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

It’ll premiere there.

I keep forgetting it's in April.

It'll be interesting to see what shows they have lined up for the Disney streaming service. So far we know about the return of The Clone Wars, The Mandalorian, and the Cassian show. I'm hoping for a Resistance replacement because it's just.... meh. I get that it's aimed at a younger audience, but that doesn't really excuse how plodding and boring and bland it's been. Not when DuckTails is sitting right there. There's only so much "Will Doza give the station to the First Order? Will Kaz stop bumbling and learn a life lesson?" I can stand.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

It’ll premiere there.

It'll be interesting to see what shows they have lined up for the Disney streaming service. So far we know about the return of The Clone Wars, The Mandalorian, and the Cassian show. I'm hoping for a Resistance replacement because it's just.... meh. I get that it's aimed at a younger audience, but that doesn't really excuse how plodding and boring and bland it's been. Not when DuckTails is sitting right there. There's only so much "Will Doza give the station to the First Order? Will Kaz stop bumbling and learn a life lesson?" I can stand.

The problem with taking Dave Filoni off a show to run something else, is that now you have a big hole. And I don't know who else they have that can fill that hole.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

It’ll premiere there.

The problem with taking Dave Filoni off a show to run something else, is that now you have a big hole. And I don't know who else they have that can fill that hole.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this... can you elaborate?

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

It’ll premiere there.

It's just my opinion but Dave Filoni is I think a significant factor in why Clone Wars and Rebels were so good. And while he was initially involved in Resistance, he hasn't been involved as a writer since the first episode.

So we are not getting the character growth we usually do.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    X-post

Oh shit folks. My kid asked to watch Star Wars today. We are doing it. Original cut film is playing right now and she’s fully entranced.

I am so jealous if I may ask, how old before you introduced the OT?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

It’ll premiere there.

It's just my opinion but Dave Filoni is I think a significant factor in why Clone Wars and Rebels were so good. And while he was initially involved in Resistance, he hasn't been involved as a writer since the first episode.

So we are not getting the character growth we usually do.

I think the issue is that we're getting just a really really slow burn to the actual plot kicking in.

Like, I'm guessing the story proper won't kick off until
    whatever the deal is from the second half of the season promo where we see Hux's speech being broadcast and such. Then shit hits the fan, First Order shifts from just being stationed on the rig/station to operating it themselves, etc.

Then Kaz, some of the aces and the mechanics he's with will fold back into a Resistance cell as the station is lost to the First Order

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    H
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    X-post

I am so jealous if I may ask, how old before you introduced the OT?

She just turned five. We probably aren’t going to do any others for a couple years at least. The trash compactor scene was just about too much peril for her to take so we will wait for the rest. But at least she was paying attention enough to notice the situation they were in as C3PO was freaking out.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf2tBFfMLMk

Hoo boy RLM kicking the beehive again.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

I feel vaguely the same way I did when I heard that Tarantino was going to be making R-rated Star Trek, except worse, because while Tarantino's ego would probably consume the project and it would feel nothing like Star Trek it would at least be well-made.

These guys are adequate when they working from someone else's material, hacks embodying the worst aspects of fanboys when writing their own.

I can't wait for two scenes of the main female character in a metal bikini while a male character exposits at length for no reason per movie.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have lost count of how many new Star Wars trilogies are supposedly in the works.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I have lost count of how many new Star Wars trilogies are supposedly in the works.

About this many
    tlj-rey-mirror-scene.jpg

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

I feel vaguely the same way I did when I heard that Tarantino was going to be making R-rated Star Trek, except worse, because while Tarantino's ego would probably consume the project and it would feel nothing like Star Trek it would at least be well-made.

These guys are adequate when they working from someone else's material, hacks embodying the worst aspects of fanboys when writing their own.

I can't wait for two scenes of the main female character in a metal bikini while a male character exposits at length for no reason per movie.

Tarantino Trek would at least be something new. A Star Wars from the GoT guys would be an rehash of stuff that would make TFA look original and unexpected in comparison.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    This doesn't mean anything to me because while they made the show, they didn't write the actual story for GoT, GRRM did. And I'm reasonably confident in saying with no research done that it won't be GRRM writing the story.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    This doesn't mean anything to me because while they made the show, they didn't write the actual story for GoT, GRRM did. And I'm reasonably confident in saying with no research done that it won't be GRRM writing the story.

GRRM only wrote part of the story. The series has been running off of his notes since season six or so, and I think there's a real change in quality between what was based on the finished books and what wasn't.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

GRRM only wrote part of the story. The series has been running off of his notes since season six or so, and I think there's a real change in quality between what was based on the finished books and what wasn't.

I think there absolutely was a drop in quality once they overcame the books. Most noticeable was the pacing went into hyperdrive to just get the series over.

I am not excited about all these new trilogies and honestly am more than ever convinced that while I'm a Star Wars fan, I'll just stick with the OT and catch other stuff whenever. Like, usually on streaming rental.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah the post books GoT was mostly crap

• Options
    You could see that long before they passed the books too. Most everything not lifted from the books was bad.

But you make that much money and people hand you opportunities, no matter how good you actually are.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    This proposed trilogy is probably going to have more depth than your typical JJ Abrams movie, though. I'd be OK with that.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Are we convinced B&W are scripting them?

In any event, Benioff is a perfectly good (at times great) writer - c.f. 25th Hour, City of Thieves...

• Options

In any event, Benioff is a perfectly good (at times great) writer - c.f. 25th Hour, City of Thieves...

I mean, he also wrote X-Men: Origins: Wolverine.

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Don't forget Troy!

• Options

Don't forget Troy!

Troy had a lot of good parts though.

X-Men: Origins: Wolverine on the other hand...

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Don't forget Troy!

Troy had a lot of good parts though.

X-Men: Origins: Wolverine on the other hand...

The good parts of Troy had little to do with the writing

• Options
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

The Falcon was Lando's ship originally, figured Solo just jacked his wardrobe when he took the ship. Guess he was kind enough to let Lando get his cape collection off the ship first.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    A SWTOR series feels like it would be a good playground for that creative team to play in.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I’d argue that Origins has a good story that is buried by moments of baffling stupidity.

Without knowing exactly how the writing breaks down, I don’t know if Benioff should get credit for the good stuff or blame for the bad.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Episode 9 has officially wrapped filming.

Jakku?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Episode 9 has officially wrapped filming.

Jakku?
    Five bucks says we're going back to Tatooine.

This discussion has been closed.