As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    To me, Fox has always been like Justin if Justin had the execution.

This is going to sound kinda crazy but: Fox is better than that. Justin is closer to what Transporter is describing, coasting on fundamentals in most games before dropping off as people get crazy. Fox is legitimately top class in every aspect at almost every game he plays simultaneously, Justin isn't that. It's not just execution, Fox has pocket characters, has tech, has multiple playstyles he is comfortable with, and does that in multiple games. Justin doesn't. Arguably Justin doesn't even have that in his MAIN game.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Reading my original post I came off way harsher than I meant to, and made assumptions that I thought people just knew about his various playstyles, and jank and busted shit were hyperbolic statements.

When he played a game he picks a top tier and runs you into the ground 95% of the time, though given the choice he picks for love.

I meant it as NOT a criticism of him, but of Capcom’s blind desire to create a genius like him that loves their games and plays every character

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Guy has played

Skullgirls
    DoA
    MK9
    Injustice
    MKX
    MvCI
    Injustice 2
    DBZF

at the absolute highest level. While still being better than average at random games he's playing on the side while maintaining champion status in other games.

I don't think anyone needs to rig anything in his favor. I think dude has proven he can just win whatever he likes, and you can't really asterisk that by pointing at things he doesn't really like.

And keep in mind he doesn't even like playing IJ2. Not to imply he never did, but he said himself that he's just dropping in to pick up "free money".

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Anything that slows down the pace of a fighting game is generally welcomed by me. I am absolutely unable to memorize combo strings and “pre-program” them in.

Something that lets me just act and react in real time without having to wait until a juggle has wrapped up sounds great. If that’s what this means, of course. I’m no expert.

Guy has played

Skullgirls
    DoA
    MK9
    Injustice
    MKX
    MvCI
    Injustice 2
    DBZF

at the absolute highest level. While still being better than average at random games he's playing on the side while maintaining champion status in other games.

I don't think anyone needs to rig anything in his favor. I think dude has proven he can just win whatever he likes, and you can't really asterisk that by pointing at things he doesn't really like.

Yeah, sorry, I didn’t mean to sound like I was putting an asterisk there.

What I meant by casual master wasn’t “omg casul master lmao), but moreso “ I don’t need to care about your game, to be great at your game” style of pro-player, of which Sonic Fox is possibly quite literally the only one of his kind.

As for Capcom’s intent in general and my assumptions on it, while it might not specifically pertain to Capcom testing the waters with picks and bans, it’s 100% the desire on whole for FGC as an E-Sports brand, and this test being a flirtation with that mentality.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I do think that having a character you are identified with is a part of SF's competitive scene that is good, but injecting some variety into the game or seeing something new from familiar players is also good. Lots of players have pocket characters that you just don't see that they enjoy playing, but wouldn't bet their tournament championship on. The biggest problem with character ban in this particular case is that it really doesn't actually do a lot for character variety. Let's say SnakeEyez is there and he's the best player on his team, and you'd rather not deal with his Zangief so you ban Zangief... the result is that he switches to his other well-practiced character, Akuma. If the desire is to see fewer common tournament characters, a single character ban doesn't really do a lot for that. You've got teams of 3, but the pool of strong and commonly-seen tournament characters is big enough that this ban is mostly going to wind up being "let's see player X play an alt", which isn't going far enough if they're goal is to really shake things up.

If anything, I think a more fun format for the tournament would be this:
    - all teams register a lineup and their preferred character, with the preferred character being whatever is the one on their CPT profile
    - for each tournament match, rather than banning characters, each team decides who will be the one person on the opposing team who gets to play their preferred character. Everybody else must play somebody else.

Some thoughts in Sonicfox
    The fact that Sonicfox can hang with GO1 in DBFZ in multiple sets even when GO1 has tech to counter his tech means that Sonicfox is a real-ass player in that game. I don't know what else there is to say. Sure Sonicfox got bodied in the first FT10 he played against GO1, but in the next set he played against him it got closer, and then in another he beat him, and then in EVO he beat him again. The number of players that have "beaten GO1 in GF at a stacked tournament" are only the biggest names in the tournament scene. The anchor of Sonicfox's team has always been Android 16, and that character everybody labs against in all regions. The team he's been using for the past few months is probably one of the least gimmick-based teams he's used in a while (Bardock/Hit/A16), and contains two characters that are also very prominent in the tournament scene.

Now, what is true is that Sonicfox was merely "alright" in SFV, and his "alright" is a level way higher than us, but is not "consistent top 8 finish" level. I think he could be great at that game if he decided to seriously focus on it, but he basically had fun with FANG and then decided not to make that game one of his competitive staples. Which is fine! Sonicfox is like what ChrisG was back in SF4 days or his MvC3 prime, able to play at a shockingly high level at seemingly any game he touches. I'd actually love to Sonicfox play Tekken and see his take on it.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    He hasn't devoted any serious real time to Tekken yet, but he's sat down and played fuckaround sets with pros and scared every one of them with how fast he picks things up and implements them.

I mean for real Sonicfox steamrolled DBZF with a BAD team, one he made out of love, and the only person who could touch him/take him down was GO1 hideously optimized team that revolved around his opponent NOT BEING ABLE TO PRESS BUTTONS.

And then he started trying...

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    templewulf wrote: »
    Guy has played

Skullgirls
    DoA
    MK9
    Injustice
    MKX
    MvCI
    Injustice 2
    DBZF

And keep in mind he doesn't even like playing IJ2. Not to imply he never did, but he said himself that he's just dropping in to pick up "free money".

Yeah, he seemed to like it fine in the early stages of the game, but then he said it was a combo of 1) the relevant top tier characters are boring to play (in his opinion), 2) they kept nerfing considerably lower tier characters that he did good with like Captain Cold and Joker, and 3) zoning became ridiculous and meaningless to try and pressure up close. I seriously doubt those nerfs were decided in a vacuum, but it kinda did seem like they were targeting him.

He's been playing a lot more MKX lately, probably in preparation for 11. Although there was a pretty big resurgence back to X even before 11 was announced, so maybe he wasn't the only one who wasn't feeling too keen on IJ2.

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzYkpiMNgZo&feature=youtu.be&a=
    Real good video, Ultradavid breaks down a ft5 online set between Kichipa-mu Gief vs Daigo Guile

WNF tonight going to be good

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
    https://clips.twitch.tv/SnappyAgileBeeAllenHuhu

someone's gonna have to explain how this sequence works to me

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    sophita caught nightmare with tech traps twice.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    I see that there are two Ukemi pop ups from Nightmare's side... but once she got him to the wall and no more Ukemi popups happened, was all that guaranteed, or was some of that escapable and he simply didn't escape?

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    he gets a wall splat and then does some re-stun stuff at the wall and its all guaranteed. I don't think the unblockable was guaranteed, but the nightmare was rolling and still got tagged so idk maybe because of the positioning at the wall he couldn't get clear (or he needed to roll later to throw off the tracking?)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    oh no

i think i like ed

J3qcnBP.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    oh no

i think i like ed

now you need a time machine to season 2 when he was solid and relevant FeelsBadMan

i partially jest, even though I think Ed is now firmly in the basement (in relative terms) he's still got a really solid core to stand on, especially if you're playing the game part time

He has good matchups against characters that are really frustrating to deal with (obliterates Laura and Abigail, very acceptable against Akuma)

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Dragonball FighterZ is free to play this weekend on Xbox if you have Gold.

At least I was able to discover the game was very much not for me for free.

Jasconius wrote: »
    oh no

i think i like ed

now you need a time machine to season 2 when he was solid and relevant FeelsBadMan

i partially jest, even though I think Ed is now firmly in the basement (in relative terms) he's still got a really solid core to stand on, especially if you're playing the game part time

He has good matchups against characters that are really frustrating to deal with (obliterates Laura and Abigail, very acceptable against Akuma)

he feels really good! his bnbs work with my hands and i like the whole not abel thing hes got

hes got sweet juggles and a mini aegis

unsafe dps and cool links

a bad falling sky for a v skill!

i think ill let him rock for a bit

J3qcnBP.png
    edited January 2019
    finally balrog gets a somewhat decent/creative skin

i never played Abel so I didn't know there were any parallels with Ed

his v-skill is pretty OP though in a lot of ways, and his st.MP is the most confirmable button ever, and makes me look almost competent

after I've finished my exploration of Birdie I may go back to Ed and revise him as a hobby. I think he has to be played totally different in S4 from how I was playing in 2 and 3

Jasconius on
    ive been using this

https://fightelement.com/sfv-ed-guide/

seems super comphrensive for current s4 combos

he doesnt seem to have much, but what he does have is pretty snazzy

J3qcnBP.png
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I made my rusty pad playing ass run some Tekken in arcades while I was in Tokyo. It was a real good time despite feeling stiff as hell on a stick

My favourite set was with a Kazuya who was tossing me around like a dumb doll filled with garbage and diapers. First time I've ever gotten hit with a ch df2 pewgf

he completely destroyed me except for the last set where I am sure he was losing interest and playing looser but hey I took that match and I rode high on it for the rest of the day. Hitting someone that good with my nonsense backturn 1+2 corpse hop backturn launch cheese was hilarious

4SMZq.jpg
    edited January 2019
    ive been using this

that's a pretty comprehensive list. they suggest cr.MK for flicker cancel, I think cr.MP might be better in footsie range since it's a wee bit faster and more active. reserve cr.MK xx flicker for when you're up close and trying to convince them to not walk back (the easiest way to diffuse Ed's autopilot is to just walk back)

Jasconius on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    That guts man costume is great

7yh4xczljsym.png
    Jasconius wrote: »
    ive been using this

that's a pretty comprehensive list. they suggest cr.MK for flicker cancel, I think cr.MP might be better in footsie range since it's a wee bit faster and more active. reserve cr.MK xx flicker for when you're up close and trying to convince them to not walk back (the easiest way to diffuse Ed's autopilot is to just walk back)

cr mk xx flicker looks 99% cooler than cr mp xx flicker

im sorry jasc

J3qcnBP.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    the DBZ stuff isn't gonna end tonight right, so the announcement of new stuff will probably not happen til tomorrow?

6F32U1X.png
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Mr. G wrote: »
    the DBZ stuff isn't gonna end tonight right, so the announcement of new stuff will probably not happen til tomorrow?

It will almost assuredly be right before or after Grand Finals.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Damn, poor Nakkiel. He was so close to making it into the top 8.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    In happier news, seems like Justin Wong is a father now.

wow! daddy wong himself

welcome to the real world

World Finals top 8 about to start

Fenrich just fought through four 200 player single elimination brackets, a double elim Top 8 means nothing to him.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Guess she whiffed the full parry.

Taramoor on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I wonder what changes they're gonna make to speed up the tempo of these matches.

Not saying they have to be MvC level but damn do these fights drag at times.

Kindevu, please.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited January 2019
    But Sonicfox manages to beat him.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Seeing SonicFox use 16 is always such a pleasure.

This discussion has been closed.