As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Original Acq. Incorporated recordings available? (or: Good introductory D&D podcast?)

GamingSnobGamingSnob Registered User regular
Are the recordings of the first sessions of Acquisitions Incorporated still available? They were made ages ago, and I can't remember if they were a PA download, WOTC download, or both.

I ask because my daughter has recently shown interest in playing D&D, and I'm looking for recordings of actual sessions for her to listen to so that she gets an idea of the game. I remember the very first sessions of AI being more light-hearted "pure" D&D sessions.

Failing that, does anyone have recommendations on alternatives? Light language is okay, but I'm more interested in helping her understand the game's mechanics than its social aspects right now: "D&D with friends" as opposed to "Friends playing D&D", so to speak.

Appreciate the help!

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    I *think* the acq inc site has the very earliest shows (they're pretty old at least)

http://www.acq-inc.com/portfolio?sort=asc

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    The first season of Acq. Inc. from 2008 would be perfect for someone learning to play because Mike is learning as he goes. You might want to listen to them due to language. Each podcast starts with "This podcast features adults using adult language. You have been warned."

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    All of AI is also available in pure audio form on any podcast service (Google music, iTunes, etc.) And on their website :)

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So the first AI series is on 4th edition of dnd, it won't teach your kid much about current rules. I would recommend LoadingReadyRun's campaign called Dice Friends, they start with Tomb of Annihilation and their DM sticks pretty close to the books. They're also pretty PG13, although your daughter will be watching a bunch of folks over 30 play a game, so not sure whether your daughter could stomach that.
    https://youtu.be/wvy-vBQ9ggc

Aldo on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Episode 1.5 (it’s episode one, they just edited out a bunch of cruft) of Adventure Zone takes care of a lot of the rules as they teach their dad how to play. Definitely has some salty language but it’s all within pg-13 standards, just fairly frequent.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Adventure Zone is absolutely the best intro one.

It also is incredibly deep and is being remade as a graphic novel. It also has animated videos of most of the early chapters available throughout the youtubes.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    From what I remember, AI started near the end of 4E; and I thought the original intent was to use the PA/PvP/guests crew to showcase the rules changes for 5e. It's been a while since I listened to those episodes (in fact I think I only just earlier this year finally chucked the CD that had those original episodes on it), so there's a chance they start off with those spell/ability "cards" that WOTC was touting for a while ("we've taken what you need from the sourcebook, so you don't have to go looking! (please pay $Alabama for every card set)").

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    From what I remember, AI started near the end of 4E; and I thought the original intent was to use the PA/PvP/guests crew to showcase the rules changes for 5e. It's been a while since I listened to those episodes (in fact I think I only just earlier this year finally chucked the CD that had those original episodes on it), so there's a chance they start off with those spell/ability "cards" that WOTC was touting for a while ("we've taken what you need from the sourcebook, so you don't have to go looking! (please pay $Alabama for every card set)").

The original AI stuff began with 4E. The group have literally been playing that long: WotC hired PA + Scott to play D&D with Chris to introduce 4E to people. The first AI podcast was before 4E was even released.

Yeah.

Yeah, we be ooooooold folks now.

• Options
    I may have to go back and relisten to the episode where they present their names. Jerry's reaction to Mike revealing Jim's name was so fantastic.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    How do the new episodes of AI compare to the original ones?

I listened to the first ones way back when, dropped off after a while, went through/am keeping up with The Adventure Zone, and haven't got back to AI since. With the new ones that show up every so often in newsposts etc, a:I don't recognise most (all? I forget) of the characters, and b:are they only videos these days? That's sort of a blocker, I'm after podcasts so I can listen to them walking around.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Go to http://www.acq-inc.com/portfolio and you can find everything they have published as either a video or podcast.

• Options
    Hijacking this thread. Since I read the thread, I started catching back up with all the AI episodes (I'm all the way up to 2018).

I will preface this by saying if someone wants to PM me information, that's fine. I'm curious if something happened between Scott Kurtz/PvP and PA that necessitated the resignation of Binwin from the party, or if it was just a matter of schedules not matching. I haven't kept track of the general developments of either side since roughly 2010 (thanks to kids). I know there was a vague tweet from Wil about he and Scott having a falling-out, but that's about as far as I know.

So like I said, if it'll bring up bad things, feel free to PM me. Also I can edit this if mods so desire.

It's also likely there is a post elsewhere on the forum with info; I just can't find it with some cursory checks.

• Options
    DraconiclastDraconiclast Registered User regular
    At the time I think the explanation was that Scott wanted to retain control of Binwin and knew that Acq Inc was spinning up into something bigger that he didn't want to be a part of. He launched Binwin's Minions shortly after leaving. I could be wrong, so grain of salt and all that.

twitch.tv/draconiclast
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    At the time I think the explanation was that Scott wanted to retain control of Binwin and knew that Acq Inc was spinning up into something bigger that he didn't want to be a part of. He launched Binwin's Minions shortly after leaving. I could be wrong, so grain of salt and all that.

This is it exactly as stated by Scott Kurtz on pvponline.com. He wanted to do his own thing, and creatively being a part of AI meant that Binwin's IP wasn't his.

• Options
    Awesome, thanks!

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    There was also a falling out between Wil Wheaton and Kurtz, but I don't think that lead to Scott leaving. I don't know the details, but Wil seems pretty clear on the subject: https://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/120140274049/ive-been-watching-some-older-acquisitions-inc

He also fell out with Kris: https://ask.fm/krisstraub/answers/130129504060

There's a reddit thread about Kurtz guesting on the C Team that lays out some of Scott's issues that he's now resolved with medication, etc. https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCTeam/comments/8wwm84/do_you_think_scott_kurtz_will_ever_guest/

Scott owns Binwin's IP, etc., AFAIK.

• Options
    Yeah I was able to read a bit more about that earlier. Thanks for the update guys. This answers a bunch of questions.

Also I agree with part of that C Team thread. I loved the snot out of Blamimations. Drunk KITT was my favorite.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I hope Kurtz is in a better place now. I always used to love sitting down and chatting with him at his booth when I went to PAX. It's kind of sad to see that there was so much negativity going around in the background.

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    I really loved those early AI podcasts. It's a shame things turned out that way. I felt a sight bit of tension start to show during Aofel's acid pit tribulation and Scott rubbing it in real hard.

I actually think the Dark Sun game was a really good self contained story. I always hoped they'd go back to it somehow but I guess that'll never happen.