As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    So I bought the Arcane spell card set last night because I want to use some more spellcasting enemies in my campaign, but man, trying to come up with tactics for spellcasters is kinda tough! I feel like I'm taking too much time trying to figure it out.

Does anybody have general advice for effectively running spellcasting enemies?

I think the quickest advice I could give is that your enemy spellcasters can try focusing their spells with saves against enemies they presume will fail them.

So spells with intelligence, wisdom & charisma saves get thrown at the muscle, while the spells with physical saving throws are targeted at the mages.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I'm looking at the Control Water spell. It seems like this should be a good one to use tactically if water is present, but I wish there was more guidance as to how a character is affected. The whirlpool option is pretty clear, but if the party is next to a pool whose water level rises 20 feet is the flooding water moving with enough force to push them at all, or do they stay where they are?

For context I'm planning a dungeon with lots of water, both in terms of pools and flowing channels as well as water-filled chambers. I see the Kuo-toa Archpriest has Control Water, but most of the party has ways to avoid drowning (some sections will have poisoned, diseased, or necrotically-charged water, though) so I'm trying to figure out what else it's good for.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Yeah like with any npc tactics it depends on the intelligence and experience of the caster. Animals that can cast spells will cast whatever vs target that hit them last, or will pick random in range. Goblin shaman well try to buff his village compatriots first, and save a spell slot to flee with. Demon will open up with the nastiest stuff it has. Pompous wizard will start out with cantrips, assuming the party is a bunch of goobers, then panic on the next round when they don't fold over. Someone like Strahd will polymorph your best damage dealer into a whale and teleport across traps as he chucks lighting bolts at the rest of the group, laughing all the while because he's having a great time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So I bought the Arcane spell card set last night because I want to use some more spellcasting enemies in my campaign, but man, trying to come up with tactics for spellcasters is kinda tough! I feel like I'm taking too much time trying to figure it out.

I think the quickest advice I could give is that your enemy spellcasters can try focusing their spells with saves against enemies they presume will fail them.

So spells with intelligence, wisdom & charisma saves get thrown at the muscle, while the spells with physical saving throws are targeted at the mages.

This sounds nice, but you've got one round to make an impact because spellcasters tend to have low HP and low defenses.

You need to throw the biggest, baddest AoE out there or you're going to get focused down and do nothing.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Also what do the NPCs know? Would the enemy spellcaster immediately realize how powerful the NPCs are? (Are they decked in jewelry, magic armour and weapons.) A wizard would probably not blow his high level spels if he thinks they are just a low-level threat.

What do the NPCs want? Do they want to kill or is their priority something else? (Fleeing, capturing, information, distraction?). Would high level spells attract guards/army/a third party that the NPC wants to stay hidden from?

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

This sounds nice, but you've got one round to make an impact because spellcasters tend to have low HP and low defenses.

You need to throw the biggest, baddest AoE out there or you're going to get focused down and do nothing.

I don't think that negates my advice.

For example, a wizard would target the following 1st-level spells at martials:
    -- Cause Fear
    -- Charm Person
    -- Tasha's Hideous Laughter

While targeting these 1st-level at spellcasters:
    -- Burning Hands
    -- Catapult
    -- Earth Tremor
    -- Ice Knife
    -- Thunderwave

We shouldn't presume all spellcasters have a Fireball spell ready to go. They can still prioritize their targets based on the success rate of the spells cast.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Eh, I generally try to figure out what the gimmick of the fight is, like look at the spells available and figure out how those abilities can change the fight and not just roast yhe most players the quickest. For instance a grung wildling has plant growth, this actually makes them accidentally devastating, you plant growth the region you're standing in and immediately put the whole fight at range cause you as a grung can standing leap around, while the characters have to move at a crawl or engage the climbing and jumping challenge to move around via the trees you put in the battlefield.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I just ran some mock battles to more familiarize myself with the monsters I'm thinking of using next session, that being a group of kuo-toas serving a spirit naga master.

The battle takes place within a water-filled chamber with a relatively low-ceiling, where long-distance ranged attacks miss and fiery spells like fireball will be less effective.

The spirit naga, which has cast water breathing on itself, stays at a distance. It casts charm person on a likely-ranged attacker to keep them from attacking, followed by dominate person on a melee attacker; if successful the dominated character signals to the kuo-toas it is an ally and they shouldn't attack it before turning on the PCs. If the spell ends the spirit naga targets the same character with Hold Person to render them paralyzed.

The whips arrange themselves in a zig-zag pattern and ready actions. Those in the front row ready a multiattack against anyone who enters within 5 ft, while those in the back ready a pincer staff attack at those who enter within 10 ft. Pincer staves are used to keep opponents from moving. The archpriest stands in the back row and uses spirit guardians in the first round, then spiritual weapon, and once he and his allies are hurting drops spirit guardians, casts control water: whirlpool to pull the PCs away, and casts mass cure wounds.

Once the attackers have been worn down the spirit naga attempts to incapacitate as many as it can with sleep. If the PCs have the upper hand, however, it casts Dimension Door to escape to its treasure chamber and seal itself inside.

How does this strategy look?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    What is the goal?

Kill the characters?
    Protect the naga leaders while they finish casting a spell?
    Precent the naga leaders so they don't die to the party?
    Protect a treasure?
    Something else?

Are all the combatants willing to die for these ideals, and if not, under what circumstances would they surrender or flee?

Is pre-combat parlay expected, or is one side hoping to ambush the other?

Will they chase the characters sold the characters attempt to flee the encounter?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    What is the goal?

Kill the characters?
    Protect the naga leaders while they finish casting a spell?
    Precent the naga leaders so they don't die to the party?
    Protect a treasure?
    Something else?

Are all the combatants willing to die for these ideals, and if not, under what circumstances would they surrender or flee?

Is pre-combat parlay expected, or is one side hoping to ambush the other?

Will they chase the characters sold the characters attempt to flee the encounter?

The spirit naga is willing to parlay and waits for the party outside the pool leading down into the flooded chamber. It guards the entrance to the next level of the dungeon and wants treasures from below, but its kuo-toa worshipers are just barely able to repel the undead coming up from the depths and their numbers are dwindling. If the party agrees to let the naga choose one treasure from their haul everytime they emerge from below it will let them pass, and its kuo-toa allies will help keep undead at bay.

Unfortunately, a couple of my players are essentially murderhobos, so that offer probably won't be accepted. However, I am also planning to have the party's first encounter with the kuo-toas take place just as the worn-down kuo-toas are finishing-off a pack of zombies, so maybe they'll have more sympathy for the kuo-toas in that context.

If the deal is not accepted, the spirit naga then swims down into the chamber to its waiting kuo-toa allies. The archpriest and whips all consider the spirit naga to be their deity and are willing to fight to the death, though the spirit naga will likely try to take the archpriest with it if it casts dimension door (the archpriest is useful in securing kuo-toa worshipers, afterall).

If the PCs flee, the naga will let them leave and try to convince them to take its offer if they return. If the PCs lose, the naga will attempt to capture and restrain the strongest melee attacker to dominate them later, sending them to fight an adversary in the lower level alongside a number of kuo-toa.

Though the spirit naga is supposed to be able to rejuvenate after being destroyed it is paranoid that it will instead become a bone naga. Its lair is the upper level of a demilich's stronghold, and it fears that the necrotic influence of the demilich might interfere with rejuvenation as several of its former spirit naga allies in the lower levels have become bone nagas.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Depends on a lot of factors, but I'll try and break it down.

Generally, casters are support units in combat, there to provide a hard edge to the front liners to offset the players composition and broadly come into broadly three categories from my perspective.
    • Defensive are all about shutting down player offense. This is usually more of a cleric thing, but Mages have enough spells for buffing their partners and making them tankier and deadlier so this is still quite viable. Further, their is nothing like the look in a player's eye when he realizes that the enemy wizard has stockpiled counter spells to shut down the opposition in short order.
    • Controllers are also pretty strong. For this, mages focus on directly inhibiting the players (I.e sleep, dominate, confuse, maze, flesh to stone) and altering the battlefield (web, wall of force, phantasmal terrain) all in an effort to control the flow of battle by dividing them into smaller, more controllable segments. Critically, you want to have minions for this in order to keep this going as long as possible and to give the players something they can actually confront.
    • Devestators are focused on damage. Usually this is going to come in the form of direct damage like fireball, acid arrows, melfs meteors, finger of death or other chunking spells, but this can also come in the form of the mage spamming out summons so that the players have to fight a plethora of monsters that devour their various resources (spells, HD, HP ammo, potions) or lots of forced movement to push players into various traps.

Universal rules of thumb for players fighting spellcasters imho:
    1. Make sure that they have back up. Without minions the mage isn't going to last very long while the players melee the shit out of them. Further, it gives you an opportunity to say a lot about the villain; Lots of demons suggest that the mage is a power hungry loon who doesn't care about the consequences of his actions as they relate to others, Wierd abberations could suggest that the mage has been studying the far realms and other cosmic horrors, the Undead are classic horde minions of the necromancer, Devils suggest that the mage is an authoritarian etc.
    2. Have defensive spells. Misty step, invisibility, fly, globe of invulnerability are all good at keeping the mage alive and able to reposition out of harms way so that he isn't merely a hp pinata.
    3. Pick the battlefield. This is critical since it allows you to prioritize how your spell caster works and prepare it for a proper fight; Fighting in an open field may give a mage with a veritable horde the edge on a half dozen heroes but inside of a tower it's almost worthless. Meanwhile a narrow tunnel can be a powerful tool for funneling players into a lightning bolt conga line.

• Options
    I actually can't wait for the new artificer article, I'm hoping this one comes with more good ideas to steal. I've always been a fan of the magical engineer vibe they bring with them.

I still think I could find some way to cram an artificer concept into rogue. Just a dude that knows a shit load about magic and can make items and concoctions that cheat at magic rather than a full wizard like magician, more a magical tinkerer than a magical researcher.

3rd level you get training and expertise in arcana and an artisans tool kit, and the second 3rd level archetype feature is more an option of what type of artificer you're gonna be (investitures, alchemy, gunsmithing, etc)

investitures is running around buffing folks and handing out single use magic items kindof a distributed spell casting of mostly transmutation and evocation literally you could hand the fighter an alter self device so they can walk around super disguised for a plan and stuff like that or give the barbarian a bears endurance charm they can use to get themselves even more health.

alchemist is tossing bombs, using poison, handing out potions, I'd probably pin effectiveness of bombs and potions and the like to sneak attack damage in some way, possibly that you can change damage type on your sneak attack/produce a potion that heals for your sneak attack/throw a bomb that deals sneak damage in a burst int mod times per short rest, maybe you gotta choose some options kinda like choosing maneuvers for battle master.

Gunsmith, obviously you get a dope gun, also given time you'd be able to make guns for party members that want one.

All of these 3rd level options would have an internal progression to them. Investitures progressing like arcane trickster spell casting just for transmutation and evocation, with a few extra bits of flexibility no other caster gets. Alchemist should expand the options of what they can do with alchemy like battlemaster maneuvers, and the gunsmith would be continually adding new magical capabilities to their weapon a little like arcane archer.

9th level you get some magic item use/ building related ability. Possibly just that you get a free magic item, but it would seem more appropriate that you can just produce magic items more reliably in some sense, possibly engaging the downtime system with quicker build times and the ability to use arcana checks to circumvent casting and ingredient requirements in the crafting process (screw up the checks for a day and it doesn't count for the build time but does not restart the build time). Definitely starting off with a couple of schematics of your own design 1 common and 1 uncommon item that you can keep making given the time and resources.

13th level just straight up steal the use magic device feature from thief.

17th level should engage with the alchemist type you chose at 3rd level. Kinda cap stone that little progression. Something like Investitures become longer lasting (you can hand out single use spell cast items that can last till used instead of till the next day or something like that), you get more uses of your alchemical feature, or can max the effectiveness for one use a day or something, the gun smith's gun does more damage/gains a save or die ability that takes time to set up or something like that

honestly the gun smith idea is only there so there's a third option that isn't alchemy or investitures I could probably go with 3rd level the two archetype abilities you get are investitures and the alchemy progression, but it feels like they should definitely have tool proficiencies to leverage for crafting later.

It's a little weird flavor wise because of some of the underpinnings of rogue (thieves cant and sneak attack) but it hits a lot of mechanical beats that make sense for an artificer. It makes sense that the guy doing magical experimentation is good at dodging explosions and attacks, and knows a thing or two about mind control spells and how to foil them or noticing things they've accidentally made invisible. It's definitely not a perfect answer for artificer but it seems like a fun way to work the concept.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Anybody have a oneshot adventure for a level 2 party that they really like?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I'm DMing madness of the rat king very soon. So I haven't played it yet but I think it sounds fun.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/4l08fe/free_adventures_heres_madness_of_the_rat_king_and/

• Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Wolves of Welton is real good if you ask me. Group gets asked to investigate strangely coordinated wolf attacks on their village, but a couple of them can talk! (And have magic storm powers but you know.)

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    So one of my players is playing a Paladin of Athena, and we did a substantial amount of work-shopping on the character's background, personality traits, ideals/bonds/flaws etc. but I'm finding his aggressively mercantile personality really off-putting and not at all supported by the background we came up with. I'm sure it's a trait of the player rather than the character. To be clear it's not that I'm against mercantile personalities in general, I just find it really weird coming from this character who, on the one hand, asks in-game for advice from his temple and the clergy that supports it on how he can be a better person and help his chosen people (Oath of the Crown) but on the other hand is happy to leave quests half-finished in hopes that they'll get sent out (and paid) a second time to complete them, or is considering selling the ceremonial/hereditary armor he was gifted because he bought an upgrade and no longer has a use for it. I think that in particular gives me a good opportunity to apply in-character feedback/consequences by having any honest merchants refuse to buy it and even be scandalized that someone of his station would attempt to do such a thing. Or would you guys just go straight into OOC feedback with the player directly and see what/why he's decided to act in such a way?

This player in particular is very well versed in D&D and RPGs in general so it's not a new player sort of scenario. And honestly I'm a little surprised that I'd be having this sort of problem with him in particular considering the previous characters he's played in my games. Lastly, he is both in and out of character a defacto leader for the group, so if he's slipping into full on murder-hobo in this narrative game I'm crafting then the rest of the party will quickly fall suite.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    What kind of deity is Athena? If she is like Waukeen, there is no issue.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Athena in game is the same as her historical counterpart the Greek Goddess of Wisdom and Warfare; her patronage includes wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice, strategic warfare, mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill. This paladin in particular believes himself to be destined to reunite the Dragonborn populace under a single banner and lead them to independence and sovereign rule of their surrounding area. A sort of second coming of Alexander the Great. I mean, sure he could justify the mercantile practices as being necessary to raise his eventual army, but that's a really inefficient (and potentially harmful) way of going about it.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Sounds to me like it would be a good time for some of his pally powers to start to waver; when he goes to speak with the priests/oracles/holy person they can point out to him that he is wavering on the four key components of his oath (By failing to finish the jobs to their fullest he betrays courage, law, loyalty and responibility) and if he can not take steps to correct himself then Athena may choose to disasociate herself from him (I.E. Fallen).

Also: if he's looking to raise an army and organize his people then he should do so by setting an example to live by.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    Yeah that's an option, but if I'm going to go there it's going to be with plenty of warning. I personally really hate fucking with class abilities, especially when it's only a select few of the classes (the divine spellcasters) that are usually affected by such mechanics. I'll start with more interpersonal consequences like a loss of face in the community and less support from his temple/background features.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Yeah that's an option, but if I'm going to go there it's going to be with plenty of warning. I personally really hate fucking with class abilities, especially when it's only a select few of the classes (the divine spellcasters) that are usually affected by such mechanics. I'll start with more interpersonal consequences like a loss of face in the community and less support from his temple/background features.

Part of playing a paladin is The oath, and the dedication to the oath is what gives them their power. If they're wavering on it then their power is going to begin to erode. As such this would be a case of powers not always being as effective as they should be (maybe the enemy resists his smite or trying to cure someones hangover doesn't work or he misses an undead when he senses) rather then just "LOL YOU HAVE 3 LEVELS IN A CLASS YOU CAN'T USE PROPERLY A LOSER IS YOU KEKEKEKEKEEKEKEKEKEK!!!1!!"

The other thing you can do though (especially if your party has a fiscal focus) is to find way for the player to gain wealth in ways that don't undermine the tennets of his oath (Law, courage, loyalty and responsibility) which shouldn't be that hard.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Hmmmmmmm I would definitely not apply in game consequences for this

He's not doing anything too terrible and it's primarily an out of game problem

Either let him do it and don't penalize it and just let him play the way he wants and have it be fine, or talk to him about it outside the game and express your concerns

sig.gif
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    The group I DM for is close to finishing Waterdeep: Dragon Heist now. Has anyone DM or played with a group that moved from Dragon Heist to Dungeon of the Mad Mage and have any pointers or tips?

• Options
    The 4E solution for misbehaving divine casters was that you'd keep your powers, but other agents of the religion who invested the powers within you would come after you.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I'd say just talk to the guy OOC. Let him know that you don't think his actions are within the purview of his Oath and see what he says. Maybe he has different intentions than you think. If he doesn't have a good reason and he refuses to change, then you might consider affecting his class features. Alternatively, you could provide him with a vision from an angel or lesser divine informing him in-character that his greed is angering Athena.

If I had one of my smites get resisted, I would assume the DM has modified a creature to make it resist radiant damage, or divine magic or something. Therefore I encourage you to not just start doing that kind of thing, lest he completely miss the point.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    I'd start by sending him signs from Athena, maybe subtle at first. She's in charge of arts, crafts, and skill, so he starts seeing the art in town frown at him from the corner of his eye. Finely crafted goods tend to break when he picks them up. He starts losing (rolls with disadvantage) at games of skill.

Then start ramping it up from there.

• Options
    I would certainly go with a quick OOC talk. Just discuss the play style isn't working with the character you two worked out. Maybe he wants to fall and have a redemption arc.

No matter what it's best to discuss. Then you two can get on exactly the same page on what the oath means and potential consequences of not following it.

Then nobody is surprised. That is the worst outcome right there.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Agreed. Have a talk and say something like, "Hey, listen. You not exactly playing your Paladin like we discussed and not really following the tenets of the temple. Is that on purpose? If you want to keep going this way, there might be some in-story consequences then as the Athena and her Temple are not quite digging your behaviour lately..."

And then, if he doesn't change or doesn't want to change, slowly drop in frowning statues, disgruntled acolytes, aghast merchants and eventually failed smites/withdrawn spells as proof of Athena's displeasure.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Agreed. Have a talk and say something like, "Hey, listen. You not exactly playing your Paladin like we discussed and not really following the tenets of the temple. Is that on purpose? If you want to keep going this way, there might be some in-story consequences then as the Athena and her Temple are not quite digging your behaviour lately..."

And then, if he doesn't change or doesn't want to change, slowly drop in frowning statues, disgruntled acolytes, aghast merchants and eventually failed smites/withdrawn spells as proof of Athena's displeasure.

Yea if it keeps going, before you drop the failing character powers have one final conversation. "I just want you to be clear, ive been dropping hints *explain hints* that your god you've sworn an oath to is displeased. Just so you know that the next steps is that you are going to fall as a Paladin. If this isn't cool we need to do a course correction. "

If the fall is already in the plans then this is the perfect time to work with the player on making it super cool in game.

If not, well then nobody could say you didn't make it super clear ahead of time.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Man this shifter barbarian monk build can get up to 25 AC (5 from dex, 5 from con, 2 from shield, 2 from kensai feature, 1 from shifting). I'll probably end up at 23 so I can grab a feat along the way.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Different AC calculations don't stack, so you have either the barb or the monk Unarmored Defense. Also, you can't get the monk version or use monk's Martial Arts abilities if you wield a shield.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Different AC calculations don't stack, so you have either the barb or the monk Unarmored Defense. Also, you can't get the monk version or use monk's Martial Arts abilities if you wield a shield.

Hmm an oversight on my part is that material arts calls out the shield. I'd obviously be using the barbarian unarmored defenses (hence dex and con). Eschewing martial arts for an attack with a kensai weapon and an unmodified unarmed attack (headbuts and kicking mostly) to get the +2 to ac is possibly not worth it too often, but still an option.

Heck I can still rage flurry in that setup but I'm only doing 7 damage per unarmed attack so its 1 kensai weapon attack d6+6 and 3 unarmed attacks for 7 each so still like 28 to 33 damage possible while maintaining that 23 AC.

Sleep on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    So my cousin and I are co DMing a game, tonight we were improvising a deserted (read as: totally annihilated by an illithid) kobold village, splitting the team up to smaller tasks searching different structures and locations in the cave chamber, we're having fun making up challenges and traps for the party, with nothing of great worth behind any of the traps but a whole bunch of kobold corpses to discover, all murdered by brain extraction (except for one guy that starved to death in a hidey hole the illithid couldn't fit into and got pretty grievously injured trying to, the halfling barbarian took the twelve silver he had on him).

In the process of yes anding our way through the cave setting the party is exploring, my cousin hands the party a clutch of kobold eggs to deal with as they choose. the party decides in the face of the fact that all the people that were here are seemingly dead now they can't leave these eggs here and take them along. I rolled to see how far along the eggs are. They will be hatching at the end of the first long rest the party takes... so like I know at 6 years they are adults, but how long till they are adolescent?

Sleep on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    So my cousin and I are co DMing a game, tonight we were improvising a deserted (read as: totally annihilated by an illithid) kobold village, splitting the team up to smaller tasks searching different structures and locations in the cave chamber, we're having fun making up challenges and traps for the party, with nothing of great worth behind any of the traps but a whole bunch of kobold corpses to discover, all murdered by brain extraction (except for one guy that starved to death in a hidey hole the illithid couldn't fit into and got pretty grievously injured trying to, the halfling barbarian took the twelve silver he had on him).

In the process of yes anding our way through the cave setting the party is exploring, my cousin hands the party a clutch of kobold eggs to deal with as they choose. the party decides in the face of the fact that all the people that were here are seemingly dead now they can't leave these eggs here and take them along. I rolled to see how far along the eggs are. They will be hatching at the end of the first long rest the party takes... so like I know at 6 years they are adults, but how long till they are adolescent?
    4, I'd say. But they'll be toddlers in 9 months.

• Options
    Are there any living monsters throughout D&D history that eat undead?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    As someone who is ethically opposed to the whole higher beings thing dragons can hew to and think they should be put in their place.
    Baby dragon-type things are adorable.

The Unexpectables DnD podcast has a baby dragon being raised by the cast and the sounds the GM makes for it are so cute.

• Options
    Are there any living monsters throughout D&D history that eat undead?

I'm guessing any sort of scavenger would be a threat to lesser forms of the undead since they'd smell like food to vultures, hyena's and flies.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Man we have a circle of the moon druid and damn is shape changing powerful. Oh look im a giant bear, let me maul you and soak up a ton of hits. Oh wait now I'm a wolf and am going to get pack tacyics and also have you save against prone? The player is still pretty new to DnD and is absolutely loving it.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Man we have a circle of the moon druid and damn is shape changing powerful. Oh look im a giant bear, let me maul you and soak up a ton of hits. Oh wait now I'm a wolf and am going to get pack tacyics and also have you save against prone? The player is still pretty new to DnD and is absolutely loving it.

Sounds like this player understands how the class is intended to work; it's a blackhole of HPs that takes forever to put down.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

Sounds like this player understands how the class is intended to work; it's a blackhole of HPs that takes forever to put down.

In our last campaign (his first d&d) he was a champion fighter. Circle of Moon druid seems like a solid transition into more complex classes. You get some awesome abilities, aren't too squishy and you get to dabble in spell casting but it is not a primary focus of the class.

This discussion has been closed.