As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[3D Printing] A toy to build toys...New to the hobby....

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That's way better than what I did for a ghoul for the Fallout board game. Found a pair of ghouls on thingieverse, then cut the one on the ground out and patched the leg up of the one standing and done!

The above is much more impressive. What is your printer?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Finished printing the Purple Worm. Just need to clean up the support structure in the mouth, as expected that was a complex area to print.

DwZUJqUWoAELjFU.jpg:large

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    That's way better than what I did for a ghoul for the Fallout board game. Found a pair of ghouls on thingieverse, then cut the one on the ground out and patched the leg up of the one standing and done!

The above is much more impressive. What is your printer?

I'm working with the Monoprice maker select plus, (Wanhao I3 plus clone). I think super glue and kitbashing stuff is really cool. Glad to hear got a model to work.

I was looking at the model this morning in Cura and realized I still haven't got the hands where they will print.
    Maybe swap those out for balled fists?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Balled fists would be way easier, yeah.

• Options
    Heh. I'm already diving deep into accessories and considering getting a BLTouch for auto-leveling prints on the bed.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    echo can that printer do that metal PLA?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Maybe? This is supposed to be a filament with 35% copper in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evo3tnCTbIw

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I’m thinking about getting a bltouch cause I suck at leveling

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    One of these prints is not like the others.

rc7jbm25oufk.jpg

The custom mini project Looks alright at a distance but had some print issues at the top.
    I loved how the dress and body and hands printed, but unfortunately the face/ hair and elf ears all seemed to have melted together.
    Still got a ways to go!
    I tried printing at .06 mm layer height, which is kinda a weird number. I'm going to properly lookup and figure out my printer's magic number and make another attempt.
    Probably would have gotten a better result with a different orientation, or at .1 mm layer height as I had been doing before. Less melt from heat exposure with thicker layers.

I might also need to upgrade my fan to cool a proper 360 degrees, but I don't wanna buy smelly ABS filament.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Finished a new fan housing for the printer. Working on the fan funnel now, then I need to go buy some screws and then I'll replace the stock fan housing with this one that has better air flow.

UqryWdtl.jpg

• Options
    Got the new fan housing and blower mounted, and now I can actually see what is going on without needing to rest my chin on the desk to see in under the housing.

YX2l6tB.jpg

• Options
    Yeah, I definitely have a convex heat bed, which is apparently a common issue with the Creality Ender models. I've ordered a properly sized glass sheet to put on top of it.

For now I'm printing small stuff off-center so the first layer actually goes down properly.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Printing on glass is game changing.

• Options
    I couldn't find anywhere to buy M3 T-nuts. Then I remembered that I own a 3D printer now.

Z0qqj6pl.jpg

• Options
    What said nuts are for: this angled spool mount. Feels like it reduced noise due to vibrations from the spool being mounted on top of the frame in the stock config.

o11xj1n.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I just love that, upon getting a 3D printer, the first thing you apparently do is print all kinds of upgrades for your new 3D printer.

• Options
    It's 3D printers all the way down.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I did print Bob the Beholder, though. (Haven't glued on all the eyes yet)

ShhzK1T.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    Friend of mine backed a kickstarter for printable wargaming terrain.

Except he has no 3D printer, nor did he know that I'd end up buying one.

Long story short, I'm printing this.

fdRnDV8.jpg

• Options
    Alright, let's see how my printer handles an actual warmans. Tweaked some slicer settings, now let's print this and go to bed and see if I need to first select my pistol and then select my warmans when I wake up.

ze25sz2n9xo2.png

• Options
    Printed a set of these feet for the printer, and that actually helped a lot! It's a bit quieter in general, but mainly the entire sound signature changed now that most of the vibrations aren't going down into my desk.

Nje40Qg.jpg

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Does anyone else have the problem of antlers growing from their parts at a 45ish angle??

I think its a gcode error. I'm using a prusa i3 clone. Unfortunately I don't have a pic right now as I usually lean it off in the first minute of cleaning.

On faster speeds they disappear But I think that's just because it's too fast to succesfully build a .4mm antler as the antler wiggles a bit as it gets taller.. Being a thin structure.

But on slower speeds they can grow a good 2-3 cm.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    @Echo I don't know if it would help but I put a rubber mat between my CNC machine and the desk. I used tool box liner but I've seen people use old yoga mats as well.

To the antlers, is it still extruding plastic where it shouldn't?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    Echo I don't know if it would help but I put a rubber mat between my CNC machine and the desk. I used tool box liner but I've seen people use old yoga mats as well.

Yeah, been thinking about doing that.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    I did print Bob the Beholder, though. (Haven't glued on all the eyes yet)

ShhzK1T.jpg

Whoa that beholder looks great. Any particular model used?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Fuck yea hook a brother up. I need that printed as of yesterday!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    It's from this guy's Patreon. He releases a bunch of models each month, only available to Patreons that month, though it looks like they eventually end up on his webshop. It was in the January release, so you still have a few days to get it.

https://www.patreon.com/Duncan_shadow

• Options
    edited January 2019
    He has three models so far. He did some updates so all three are available for patrons until the end of the month.

jt8yBU3l.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    That's pretty friggin cool.
    I should learn sculpting for 3d modeling. I'm still mostly flailing about in Fusion360 making simple boxes.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    He has three models so far. He did some updates so all three are available for patrons until the end of the month.

jt8yBU3l.jpg

Fuck. Another patreon to sign up for. :)

Going to get those asap.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Make sure to check his recent posts to grab the download links for patreons.

• Options
  • Options
    Did a bed level print test, since I have a convex bed. Prints one circle in each corner and one in the center.

Center circle has a teeny weird spot, but is otherwise good. Top right is also good, but notably thinner than the center one - quality-wise it's actually better than the center one.

The rest are just crap. On the lower left in particular you can see that the nozzle is so close that it's scraping the bed and dragging the molten filament along with it.

Got a glass bed that should be delivered next week.

SCcdoZc.jpg

• Options
    I've been having a blast with my 3d printer recently. A friend asked me to print something for him and I found a file that was close but I needed to modify it. In the end he used araldite to bodge together what he needed from two other parts but I have enjoyed the print-test-modify cycle so much that im doing it anyway.

I've also enjoyed painting and sanding my parts. I usually leave the plastic bare because I like the 3d printed aesthetic. But a well sanded part is also a thing of beauty and can look just like a proper plastic part.

My sketchup free trial ran out so I've moved to blender. Which is something I have been meaning to do for a while and the expiration just forced to me to do it. I'd like to use something like Fusion360 but I don't really want to pay $200 a month for something i only do casually.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Fusion360 is free. It's hidden on the website but its free for hobby peoples.
    Also I highly recommend it. It's pretty great tool. Though that learning curve is fairly high.

On 3d printed related stuff directly, I may need to get one. I'm usually content using the makerspace one, but I've been working on mechanical keycap strategy so I can CNC it, and being able to modify a part then print out for test fit is pretty great. Certainly saves me a lot of potential machining time

Radiation on
  • Options
    Oh ho ho! That was well hidden. I've been watching Maker's Muse on youtube and it's got me very interested in Fusion360.

However, I have literally just started a project in blender so I am now faced with the delemma of choosing between struggling through blender or restarting from scratch in Fusion360. I think I will struggle through, at least to finish this project, as my blender skills are fairly non-existent and I ought to improve them anyway. But after that... I don't think I'll use anything but Fusion360.

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    Fusion360 is free. It's hidden on the website but its free for hobby peoples.

I heard "Fusion 360 is free" in some video this weekend and went "wait, what?" because they sure don't make that obvious on the site.

• Options
    It's free if you're a hobbyist or a company making less than $100,000 a year.

• Options
    I'm looking right now and can't find it free other than for students etc....

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I'm looking right now and can't find it free other than for students etc....

https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusion-360-for-hobbyists