As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Brianna Decker apparently posted a better time on the premier passing drill than anyone else, including all the NHL players who participated. Her time was deduced to be 1:06. And she's gettin' paid for it! But not by the NHL.

Aw yeah, Calgary Inferno, represent

NHL: why capitalize on the moment when we can perpetually backpedal to save face?

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Bad news for Vancouver fans: Quinn Hughes has kind of sucked this year. I mean he has a lot of points because he's still super talented, but he is a turnover machine because he tries to do way too much.

dang, you seen some college games?

reports from the juniors were ok and people seem high on him. i think benning wants to get him a look sooner rather than later, so he might pop up for 9 or whatever at the end of the season.

I'm a Michigan grad, and I watch their games as much as they're on. He was directly responsible for three Penn State goals yesterday by committing just absolutely terrible turnovers.

yikes. hopefully the coach gave him hell and he starts to reign himself in a bit

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    The penguins just traded a 4th round pick to dallas for Jamie oleksiak!

Wait, sorry, looking at last year's notes.

The penguins just traded jamie oleksiak to Dallas for a 4th round pick!

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Hmm, which team came out ahead here...

LD50 wrote: »

Hmm, which team came out ahead here...

It's funny, but there is probably a correct answer since the penguin's traded for (the remainder of) 1 year at 1 million dollars and then traded him back with the remainder of a three year 2 million dollar cap hit.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Holy shiiiiiit

That seems like a good deal for both teams? Two promising, but not guaranteed prospects and a late (25-31) pick for a year and a half of Muzzin

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So, is this a good deal for the Leafs? I'm only just getting back into hockey this year, so I don't know all the good folks. I do know the Leafs needed a good defense man.

It’s good. Muzzin isn’t quite as good as he used to be (on the back side of the aging curve) but he’s still very good. He’s left-handed, but he can play on the right side which will give them a solid top pair between him and Rielly.

That leaves Gardiner and Zaitsev as the second pair and (I assume) Hainsey joining Dermott on the third pair. That’s about where Hainsey should be. He’s not awful, but he was badly outmatched as a first-pair defenseman.

Zaitsev is still not great, but now he’ll have competition for his spot from Ozhiganov which might motivate him a bit.

The prospects going are promising, but they’re not among the top prospects or current roster players. So they’re better now, and only a little less deep going forward. Also Muzzin has another year on his contract after this, which gives the Leafs time to restock the shelves and mature existing prospects.

• JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Jesus Christ, Pierre...

Pretty sure you didn’t need to explain the bench layout to an Olympic gold medalist. Dude just cannot turn it off.

Jayricho on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, Pierre...

Pretty sure you didn’t need to explain the bench layout to an Olympic gold medalist. Dude just cannot turn it off.

Even cringier he told her he would be her cage later tonight or something to that effect.

I'm not telling anyone anything new but he didn't realize any of this cringe. I guarantee it.

Also I used to like his random trivia but now it's just tiring. I'm starting to like Brian Boucher a lot more.

Jesus Christ, Pierre...

Even cringier he told her he would be her cage later tonight or something to that effect.

He also called vasilevskiy a "enormous humanoid" near the end of the second period. So I'm going with Pierre is a lizard person.

The picks are a 2nd and two 4ths (including the 4th that they got back when they returned Jamie Oleksiak to Dallas)

this is cool - a chart of the average/expected value of each draft slot

it's wild how much things even out after the first 3/4ths of the first round. Makes me feel better about the 1st the Leafs gave up for Muzzin if it's not worth that much more than a second or later

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

McCann was a promising prospect in his year with Vancouver. Trading him for Erik (big but not tough) Gudbranson was one of Jim Benning's first dumb moves.

:so_raven:
    This trade is interesting, Rutherford is trading picks and older players on expiring contracts for younger players with some term. It’s all about right now and the next few years, to make the most out of what remains of the Crosby/Malkin window. It’s going to be dire when those two retire and they find themselves with a very thin prospect pipeline, but it makes sense to go for it while they can.

edited February 2019
    According to one of the penguins news guys on Twitter, McCann and Bjugstads also did their warmup stretching on the plane before the game.

Edit: I think my quickest time to gear into my hockey equipment when I was in high school was about 15min, so that's pretty good.

Burtletoy on

RIP Deryk Engelland’s ankles

Sebastian Aho is a bad, bad man

Did...... Did he just moonwalk on ice?

Someone needs to tell Aho that physics don't work that way.

5 years, $58.something million for Austin Matthews.

shorter term to fit him under the cap makes sense I guess, but that's a lot of money to only buy 1 UFA year. I haven't seen or checked yet how that compares as a % of cap to something like Stamkos' first RFA contract

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-toCI4-lQ

I mean ... a puppy would be nice.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i want that t-shirt in the preview image

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited February 2019
    Chanus wrote: »
    i want that t-shirt in the preview image

Here.

LD50 on
    I have grown rather fond of Jake Muzzin in his short time as a Leaf

I guess crushing Corey Perry, drawing a dumb retaliatory penalty from Nick "Cherry said the Leafs should have picked him over Nylander" Ritchie and then scoring seconds into the ensuing power play is the key to my heart. As Steve Dangle put it in his fan reaction video "it's like he smashed open a pinata filled with all my favourite things"

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Muzzin seems good so far but a bit slow? Maybe it's just adjusting to the new systems.
    He sure is a big boy though :)

Yeah, that's about right for the Pens. Though she should have made some sort of comment about how it's the second half of the season so Crosby and Malkin can finally start playing like the stars they are.

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-toCI4-lQ

I mean ... a puppy would be nice.

Her videos are always great. Blackhawks one nailed it this video

Not really hockey and obviously a red bull promoted ad, but this still looks fun as hell

Cool, the video part of the ad doesn't embed, and the edit button on the mobile forums has disappeared?

So now it's just an ad I can't delete.

Crashed ice is exciting to watch but I'm always waiting for the broken legs and ankles.

Oh yeah the video looked dangerous as hell. I'd never heard of it before it popped into my Twitter feed today

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    As always, the goalie races are especially fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNfGxjZwrE

chromdom wrote: »
    As always, the goalie races are especially fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNfGxjZwrE

Canada wins!

Man that has got to be so damn tiring.

I'm not playing the vid because I'm shutting off my work computer and going home. I'm assuming it's hockey players racing on ice courses and trying not to die.

So basically hockey without the goals and pucks and sticks.

• JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    In their 24 games since defeating Florida on Dec. 6, the Avalanche have allowed 96 goals, the most in the NHL over that span, on 718 shots, the second fewest in the League behind the Blues (669). Of the 47 goalies who have played in at least 10 games since Dec. 6, Varlamov is 46th in the NHL with a .876 save percentage, and Grubauer is 47th at .869.
    https://www.nhl.com/news/colorado-avalanche-looking-for-points-positive-attitude-amid-slump/c-304619432
    I knew it was bad, but ugh. I need a drink.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    In their 24 games since defeating Florida on Dec. 6, the Avalanche have allowed 96 goals, the most in the NHL over that span, on 718 shots, the second fewest in the League behind the Blues (669). Of the 47 goalies who have played in at least 10 games since Dec. 6, Varlamov is 46th in the NHL with a .876 save percentage, and Grubauer is 47th at .869.
    https://www.nhl.com/news/colorado-avalanche-looking-for-points-positive-attitude-amid-slump/c-304619432
    I knew it was bad, but ugh. I need a drink.

I’m always a bit suspicious of stats in hockey, because im never sure how well it accounts for the quality of the shots.

I wonder if they have a decent breakdown for teams for how many goals allowed for how much time in the defensive end.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I opted to buy in to the reduced price NHL TV subscription just to watch the Leafs, and just in time for this Leafs / Habs game. Honestly, worth it just to have the CBC feed...

This discussion has been closed.