As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Don't get too excited about purported roster leaks. I'm seeing a lot of people say Reptile is in based on a comment by a NRS rep that you can activate Reptile's acid ball in one of the tower modes. Well the tower mode footage out there now shows there's a bunch of modifiers (or "konsumables") available that let you use special moves that don't belong to your fighter. "Saurian Acid Ball" is one of them. Reptile is not referenced by name and does not appear when the special is used. It just spawns an acid ball projectile out of thin air.

That said, no guarantee he's in. Or anyone who hasn't been officially announced, with the sole exception being Cassie Cage since she was briefly shown in game.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Liu Kang won Mortal Kombat 1 and 2. In MK3 Shao Kahn decided to pull some weird sorcery loophole by reincarnating Sindel on Earth which would give him...jurisdiction rights?...imminent domain? over the Earth, I guess.

Is that the original Cannon? I thought so but can't remember what Kung Lao was up to.

I always thought "He must win" refereed to Kung Lao in the remake. Raiden fucked everything up though so who knows really. I should do a brief re-read of the cannonical story line some time.
    The sindel thing, she sacraficed herself, or died putting a protective spell on earthrealm. Reviving her gets rid of it as it was done by her death or she just reverses it as she's all changed and stuff Ibelieve.

RickRude on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Don't get too excited about purported roster leaks. I'm seeing a lot of people say Reptile is in based on a comment by a NRS rep that you can activate Reptile's acid ball in one of the tower modes. Well the tower mode footage out there now shows there's a bunch of modifiers (or "konsumables") available that let you use special moves that don't belong to your fighter. "Saurian Acid Ball" is one of them. Reptile is not referenced by name and does not appear when the special is used. It just spawns an acid ball projectile out of thin air.

That said, no guarantee he's in. Or anyone who hasn't been officially announced, with the sole exception being Cassie Cage since she was briefly shown in game.

Reptile to me is almost as set to the brand as Scorpion and Sub Zero. They were the original ninjas, even if one was originally a secret that just combined their special moves.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    Liu Kang won Mortal Kombat 1 and 2. In MK3 Shao Kahn decided to pull some weird sorcery loophole by reincarnating Sindel on Earth which would give him...jurisdiction rights?...imminent domain? over the Earth, I guess.

Is that the original Cannon? I thought so but can't remember what Kung Lao was up to.

I always thought "He must win" refereed to Kung Lao in the remake. Raiden fucked everything up though so who knows really. I should do a brief re-read of the cannonical story line some time.
    The sindel thing, she sacraficed herself, or died putting a protective spell on earthrealm. Reviving her gets rid of it as it was done by her death or she just reverses it as she's all changed and stuff Ibelieve.

Raiden fucked everything up in MK9 yes, but he must win was referencing Shao Khan illegally invading the Earth in MK3. If he won that would allow the still alive Elder Gods to rip him a new one.

Raiden fucked up by being constantly wrong on who should win and when.

Also by telling his past self a cryptic as fuck message.

Transporter on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Raiden fucked everything up in MK9 yes, but he must win was referencing Shao Khan illegally invading the Earth in MK3. If he won that would allow the still alive Elder Gods to rip him a new one.

Raiden fucked up by being constantly wrong on who should win and when.

Also by telling his past self a cryptic as fuck message.

In his slight defense, I can completely understand the idea that a message sent to the past would need to be oblique/get affected by going back through time/seem super obvious to future self and less obvious to past self.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Also to be fair, there wasn’t much time to send the message. He couldn’t have been like “Alright so a dude named Lui Kang is gonna winnthe Mortal Kombat tournament but Shao Kahn is gonna get pissy and throw a tournament in Otherworld. It’s cool, Lui will win that as well. Then Shao Kahn is going to abuse some bullshit loophole and merge the realms together anyway. When that happens, HE MUST WIN. I know it sounds crazy but the Elder Gods will fuck him for cheating which will prevent the apocalypse of all realms.
    KNTHNX BAI-“ *Head smashes from Shao Kahn*

never die on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I don’t think Raiden screwed up at all. There were a whole lot of bad MK games in that original timeline.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I don't get the whole Shaggy thing. Is there a story there, or is he just the latest random meme?

Also, watching some of Max's old MKX videos. I really hope they bring back Jackie for MK 11. She's so great! Just whooping someone's ass like "Awwww damn!"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There's been a joke for a long time about shaggy being able to go Ultra Instinct (DBZ reference) and since then the internet has taken the joke too far as usual

edited January 2019
    The best part is, aside from the obvious reasons why they won't, Netherealm could very easily get that as a guest character.

Local H Jay on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    The best part is, aside from the obvious reasons why they won't, Netherealm could very easily get that as a guest character.

I kind of want to see this happen now.
    Why do I want to see this happen?

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

because it would be hilarious

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    There's been a joke for a long time about shaggy being able to go Ultra Instinct (DBZ reference) and since then the internet has taken the joke too far as usual

I thought my meme lore was pretty solid, but this is the first time I'm hearing of this. Which makes a pic I saw referencing shaggy doing something amazing this morning make sense.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    edited January 2019
    Klatu wrote: »

I thought my meme lore was pretty solid, but this is the first time I'm hearing of this. Which makes a pic I saw referencing shaggy doing something amazing this morning make sense.

If I recall my memes correctly (I'm so lame) this satirical bootleg toy kicked off the joke

p2njftm009ev.jpg

Local H Jay on
    Wow, I never thought someone would be able to outdo Toriyama in the "make Gohan awful" department...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I don't get the whole Shaggy thing. Is there a story there, or is he just the latest random meme?

Also, watching some of Max's old MKX videos. I really hope they bring back Jackie for MK 11. She's so great! Just whooping someone's ass like "Awwww damn!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqvocz2eCmQ

I still have a weird desire for Drahmin to come back. I guess Devorah way outdid him on the bug shtick, but it was cool having an actual demon as a playable character, and the oni mask/club arm combo was a good idea.

Of course, he did have a limited ceiling, storytelling-wise, living in a pit and eating people for Shang Tsung, but I think he was underrated.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

because it would be hilarious

So, it seems that we're not the only one that feel this way.
    https://www.shacknews.com/article/109582/mk11-fans-petition-to-add-scooby-doos-shaggy-to-roster

Would it really be so far fetched? I mean, the Turtles made it into MK and seemed to be pretty well received.
    And, as much as any developer can, NetherRealms seems to have a sense of humor about their properties.

Yes, I know that this is almost certainly a lot of people following the shiniest of new memes, backed up by a veritable army of bots and that Change.Org rarely, if ever Changes anything.
    But the idea of it makes for a good chuckle. And don't forget post apocalyptic Scooby Doo was a thing that happened. So whoever owns that franchise has a sense of humor as well.

The issue I think is that Shaggy is a kids cartoon character, and TMNT made it into the decidedly less gorey Injustice 2.

Shaggy being in MK means he'd have to die, and in brutal fashion, over and over. It works fine for horror characters and monsters but, Shaggy being decapitated is maybe a bridge too far. Though, I think some comics explored the more adult side of what Scooby Doo could be, so who knows.

The Turtles made it into Injustice, not MK. I don't think there's any conceivable way Shaggy makes it into a game like Mortal Kombat.

I guess it'd be interesting from a novelty standpoint, but Shaggy would feel like a waste of a guest spot to me. I guarantee that petition is 100% meme related, and no one really cares if Shaggy makes it in or not.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    They did the turtles so well I will be yelling for a new Netherrealm Turtles fighter for the foreseeable future

Ceno wrote: »
    They did the turtles so well I will be yelling for a new Netherrealm Turtles fighter for the foreseeable future

Krang looked pretty sweet in their arcade ladder ending too. I wouldn't say no to a NRS developed "Saturday Morning Cartoon" fighting game. I mean, I wouldn't say no to any NRS developed fighting game, but that'd be sweet. I'd want a horror movie mash-up fighting game from them first, though.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I find it interesting in that interview Ed Boon answered, without hesitation, that he would like to see Scorpion in Smash.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I was also intrigued by his specific choice of Ken as a Street Fighter cameo.

i'd love an NRS turtles fighting game. although i just wish there were more TMNT games in general fighting or otherwise. as for shaggy i can't imagine him showing up in MK. while it would be incredibly amusing to me there are too many things about it that would make it unfeasible.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So Kano was confirmed as a returning character.

Nice seeing Kano scaled back a little.

He was starting to toe the line into CyberNinja territory with how they were bulking up his gear in MKX.

Never really been all that big into Kano. People are absolutely certain Kabal is in too.

As long as he is basically movie Kano, that's cool.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Never really been all that big into Kano. People are absolutely certain Kabal is in too.

they showed him in one of the initial teasers.
    Nice seeing Kano scaled back a little.

He was starting to toe the line into CyberNinja territory with how they were bulking up his gear in MKX.

while i am not always a fan of the specific designs i do appreciate that MK changes everything up each time. even scorpion and subzero while recognizable have wildly different variations game to game. i think it's a cool way to keep things visually interesting

I know I think entirely too much about MK, but on review, Kano is kind of ‘Earth-Baraka’ for most purposes, just more likely to betray whoever he’s working for. In the original MK I thought he was supposed to be some kind of criminal mastermind, and maybe he was for a little while. I would be shocked/impressed if Netherrrealm found a way to elevate him into being more of a credible bad guy.

Think I might reinstall MKX this weekend and mess around. Youtube keeps recommending me MK related videos, and there was a neat MKX thing I saw about "flirty" dialogue lines. Couple of choice ones:

Erron Black: Chicks with guns, always sexy.

Sonya: How about I shove em up your ass and pull the trigger?

Erron Black: Almost always

and my favorite

Takeda: We don't have to do this...

Jackie: You don't want to wrestle me to the ground?

Takeda: Ok, let's do this!

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Think I might reinstall MKX this weekend and mess around. Youtube keeps recommending me MK related videos, and there was a neat MKX thing I saw about "flirty" dialogue lines. Couple of choice ones:

Erron Black: Chicks with guns, always sexy.

Sonya: How about I shove em up your ass and pull the trigger?

Erron Black: Almost always

and my favorite

Takeda: We don't have to do this...

Jackie: You don't want to wrestle me to the ground?

Takeda: Ok, let's do this!

These lines worked better in IJ2, if only because (almost) everyone was superhuman, and could handle being blasted into space, or shot down by the Batwing with gunfire and missiles, but no one actually dies.

Takeda wrestling Jackie into the ground includes using his whips to sever her limbs. That's true love.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

I feel like the kombat kids (as they are called) could TOTALLY end up as a separate character pack for MK11

99% sure Cassie was in the story trailer (doesn't necessarily mean she's playable, I suppose). I really Just want Jackie to come back.

They legitimately have so many characters they could include or rework/redesign. They redid Stryker, for god’s sake. At this point I almost wouldn’t be surprised if they resurrected Biped Motaro and made him awesome.

I'd be down with biped Motaro, but my preference would be the return of Kintaro. And Sheeva too! I just love those 4 armed dragon-cat people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76v81HA3fnA

Also, I've had this song stuck in my head all day... One of the better fights in the movie too! Liu Kang takes that brick to the face like a champ after Reptile kicks him through the wall :P