As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tales of] Your Mom - Best Dog Is Back

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I can already spam artes though, the time it takes to do the movement means I don't get to use many before overlimit runs out.

If controlling Rita with her cast times, then yes. Very yes.

But with Yuri I have found it much more effective to stunlock them with regular combo hits for the duration of overlimit.

But I'm not at endgame or anything.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I can already spam artes though, the time it takes to do the movement means I don't get to use many before overlimit runs out.

If controlling Rita with her cast times, then yes. Very yes.

But with Yuri I have found it much more effective to stunlock them with regular combo hits for the duration of overlimit.

But I'm not at endgame or anything.

Depends somewhat on the arte. Azure storm just goes out fast that way.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    If I has one major criticism of Vesperia's story, it'd be that it's weak and underdeveloped.

I don't think it's bad, far from it. I like pretty much every single plot point. I like the characters and their places in the world. I like the world itself and the lore around it.

For example, there's contrast between how Yuri and Flynn go about trying to improve the world. Flynn wants to improve things from within but Yuri is more independent and willing to break the rules. That's a great story element and is generally well-executed. We also see it from Yuri's perspective when Flynn is the more archetypical, do-gooder protagonist. Then that contrast between those characters has parallels in setting itself, between the independent unions and the empire.

It's just sometimes story beats are not sufficiently fleshed out so some scenes come across as goofy or unearned.

The worst thing is that story beats are not fleshed out so that absolutely mundane conversations can go on for far too long instead. They have all this time and space they could fill with more detail and developments and they choose to spend it on

"here's where I part with you guys"
    "I bet you don't want to have to cross the desert alone again tho"
    "oh shoot that's right, well I guess I better keep traveling with you for now"
    "and me too, I want to get to the bottom of this"
    "ok we will all continue traveling together then"

thanks guys, good talk

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    The worst thing is that story beats are not fleshed out so that absolutely mundane conversations can go on for far too long instead. They have all this time and space they could fill with more detail and developments and they choose to spend it on

"here's where I part with you guys"
    "I bet you don't want to have to cross the desert alone again tho"
    "oh shoot that's right, well I guess I better keep traveling with you for now"
    "and me too, I want to get to the bottom of this"
    "ok we will all continue traveling together then"

thanks guys, good talk

Well, a lot of those scenes are Patty scenes and so were added with the PS3 rerelease back when. Which... there were better options there for sure, but...

This specific one was Rita saying that and Raven talking her out of it.

On one hand, I appreciate that the game justifies why the party sticks together despite their own individual goals.

But my goodness do those conversations go on too long and happen too often.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Combat in Vesperia was Rita - Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball.

There were other things to do?!

Xeddicus wrote: »
    Combat in Vesperia was Rita - Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball.

There were other things to do?!

Blah blah blah tidal wave

blah blah blah VIOLENT PAIN

edited January 2019
    Patty is pretty terrible, I don't know why they bothered. I mean I read that she is apparently really cool to play as, or OP or something, which is fine. But as a character? Her lines are written in an interesting way but recited with zero emotion, and her face/body language conveys no emotion either. Like if you programmed a robot to read some lines of pirate dialogue with no inflection or personality. She should've been played a lot sassier.

I'm gonna guess that her voice actress had a tough enough time contorting her voice into a stereotypical anime little girl without trying to emote.

If you can imagine her lines voiced with a slightly older inflection and passion like Rita, it immediately becomes so much better.

On another note, Estelle just got a spell called Angel Ring and it's the first ability I've seen in the game that makes me say "wow!" Not for graphics but it is just a very useful effect that really impacts the battle for a moment. It's great.

UncleSporky on
    Angel Ring is really good, yeah. Clumping up enemies makes battles go a lot faster, especially if it's right as Rita unloads something.

Oh cool, I'm #14 on the Xbox leaderboards for course 1 of the Repede Snowboarding minigame!

edited January 2019
    I need to do that minigame still...

In other news, I got Brionac. This is the first playthrough I haven't mucked it up. (For those who don't know: It's an easily missed weapon that requires seeing many scenes over the course of the game, it's almost as bad as something like FFXII's Zodiac Spear)

Polaritie on
    People will think this is madness but I am actually following a guide on my first playthrough and I don't even care, I do this pretty often. It's fine. It's actually not spoilery and I'd rather not miss things.

And yeah, boy is it necessary. "By the way at this point you need to backtrack through a minor dungeon/hostile area, so that you can travel several towns back and talk to some kids standing under a tree. You must do this immediately, and then cross through the hostile area again, see another scene, and then go back yet again to the town where you started the game, when you really should be on an entirely different continent at this point."

And all of that is, ultimately... only going to get you like two outfits and a couple weapons. And a decent amount of cutscenes.

I don't think they're essential, but yes they should be harder to miss.

Hmm, actually the bit with Halure's tree is a good one to look up, if only because Force Field is stupid (10 sec invulnerability buff, and its AoE)

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I played Vesperia with the sub event guide open pretty much the entire time and I still managed to miss stuff the first time around. Like some stuff is like "Revisit this town you have no reason to revisit during this specific time frame" level of specific so I don't care.

I'm glad they really toned missable stuff down in the later games.

Also goodness I forgot how often bosses pop overlimit on hard(because of their inflated HP pool) trying to beat this before KH3 comes out so I don't care if I pop a level up here or there just so I don't need to grind.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Playing through the game again I never noticed how Yuri contradicts himself when talking to someone late game.
    Specifically the conversation with Phaeroh

Phaeroh(talking about Estelle and her power): "Sometimes you have to cut off a part to save the whole."

Yuri: "Hey...what gives you that right!?"

Yuri...that's literally been your character arc up until this point.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    Playing through the game again I never noticed how Yuri contradicts himself when talking to someone late game.

Phaeroh(talking about Estelle and her power): "Sometimes you have to cut off a part to save the whole."

Eh, I think there's a difference between that and vigilante justice.

How so?

edited January 2019
    Because Yuri is killing people who are clearly guilty but protected by the system. Both Ragou and Cumore are monsters, and they chose to be that way.

Phaeroh wants to kill Estelle because she born with a particular trait, which is an important distinction - Estelle didn't choose to have that power.

Edit: You can also just view this as simply Yuri's sense of justice - killing the guilty is okay, killing the innocent is not. It's entirely consistent.

Polaritie on
    Polaritie wrote: »

I literally just saw this scene
    EToM5zZ.png

I literally just saw this scene
    EToM5zZ.png
    And at what point does he ever classify Estelle that way? He doesn't consider her guilty of anything, ergo no reason to kill her.

Because Yuri is killing people who are clearly guilty but protected by the system. Both Ragou and Cumore are monsters, and they chose to be that way.

Phaeroh wants to kill Estelle because she born with a particular trait, which is an important distinction - Estelle didn't choose to have that power.

Edit: You can also just view this as simply Yuri's sense of justice - killing the guilty is okay, killing the innocent is not. It's entirely consistent.

This is true. That said I do think its funny cause
    earlier in the game Flynn gets on him about how that kind of reasoning can easily become a slippery slope.

So the fact that he is so adamantly against Phaeroh's viewpoint without seeing how they're alike until Karol points it out was pretty amusing to me.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So, I'm finally playing Tales of Berseria. I'm working on wrapping my head around the combat system, and for the most part I understand things. But I have a question about Weak Point Combos. Namely, how do I actually perform them?

The game says I need to hit all of an enemies weaknesses in a combo to trigger the weak point combo state. But I can never seem to get that working right. Say, for example, I'm fighting an enemy whose only category is Winged. I try opening a combo with Swallow Dance, and the combo does not trigger anything for me. Or I'm fighting a Gibbon, which is a Beast with a Water weakness. I open with Velvet's Twin Whip (water element), followed by Water Snake's Wake (Water element), and then Searing Edge (has a special effect against Beasts). That doesn't work either. I know what the confirmation of the combo is supposed to look like (screen gets blue vignetting and announces WEAK POINT COMBO). What am I not undestanding about this mechanic? Because clearly I'm doing something entirely wrong.

Enlong on
  • glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    Sheesh my introduction to Tales was Berseria. Vesperia is kinda garbage in comparison.

Everyone is a moron!

edited January 2019
    Enlong wrote: »
    So, I'm finally playing Tales of Berseria. I'm working on wrapping my head around the combat system, and for the most part I understand things. But I have a question about Weak Point Combos. Namely, how do I actually perform them?

The game says I need to hit all of an enemies weaknesses in a combo to trigger the weak point combo state. But I can never seem to get that working right. Say, for example, I'm fighting an enemy whose only category is Winged. I try opening a combo with Swallow Dance, and the combo does not trigger anything for me. Or I'm fighting a Gibbon, which is a Beast with a Water weakness. I open with Velvet's Twin Whip (water element), followed by Water Snake's Wake (Water element), and then Searing Edge (has a special effect against Beasts). That doesn't work either. I know what the confirmation of the combo is supposed to look like (screen gets blue vignetting and announces WEAK POINT COMBO). What am I not undestanding about this mechanic? Because clearly I'm doing something entirely wrong.

Sometimes something that is strong to say beasts also has an element that they are resistant to. I remember making different combos for every critter in an area. Often there were more than four in a biome and it would annoy me.

glimmung on
    edited January 2019
    Yeah...you have to keep track of not only the element but the monster type. Some moves may be effective against the type but the enemy may be resistant to the moves element.

What I usually did was simply map combo strings by element and adjust them to the monsters I was fighting every now and then.

Velvet generally have a very balanced ability spread so don't be afraid to swap abilities in and out at times.

Dragkonias on
    edited January 2019
    I’m hearing you, but I’m also not seeing that work. I mentioned fighting a Gibbon (Beast with Water weakness) and hitting it with 2 Water Artes and one that has a high chance of inflicting a Burn on Beasts, but it didn’t do anything. Did the anti-beast Arte have to actually inflict Burn to count, or something? Or did the combo fail because Searing Edge ended the 3-hit combo?

Enlong on
    Its been a while since I played but I think you had to alternate between element and category.

Instead of Water-Water-Beast.

Maybe try Water-Beast-Water.

Not sure cause its been a year though.

Woo...I forgot how much money Synth'ing could take up.

Even with the bonus 300k the DLC gave me I've burned a hole in my pocket.

Gonna need to start grinding those Blue Sephiras soon.

edited January 2019
    I funded the hot springs stuff off of poker and delicious exponential growth, havent run into lany money issues since.

But yeah, gald is really tight until around the end of act II if you go synth crazy.

Polaritie on
    edited January 2019
    OK, here's another example.

I'm fighting a Delusionary Rodent. The creature is a Crustacean and Armored foe, and it has a weakness to Earth and Water. It also specifically says it's weak to Hidden artes.

So I hit it with Gouging Spin (Stuns Crustaceans), Shell Splitter (Hidden Arte, Water, poisons Crustaceans), and then Mega Sonic Thrust (Hidden Arte, Earth Slows Armored).

That should be all the things to hit: Crustacean, Water, Armored, Earth, Hidden Artes, with at least one new weakness hit for each attack. But nothing triggers. What am I missing? Is it that my combo is only those 3 hits? I really feel like I'm missing something fundamental here.

EDIT:

I watched some footage of the weak point combo tutorial again. Looks like I was wrong about the blue vignetting and all that. I guess I must actually be doing it correctly.

Enlong on

psssst you can claim the 300k three times!

I did...

Enlong wrote: »
    OK, here's another example.

I'm fighting a Delusionary Rodent. The creature is a Crustacean and Armored foe, and it has a weakness to Earth and Water. It also specifically says it's weak to Hidden artes.

So I hit it with Gouging Spin (Stuns Crustaceans), Shell Splitter (Hidden Arte, Water, poisons Crustaceans), and then Mega Sonic Thrust (Hidden Arte, Earth Slows Armored).

That should be all the things to hit: Crustacean, Water, Armored, Earth, Hidden Artes, with at least one new weakness hit for each attack. But nothing triggers. What am I missing? Is it that my combo is only those 3 hits? I really feel like I'm missing something fundamental here.

EDIT:

I watched some footage of the weak point combo tutorial again. Looks like I was wrong about the blue vignetting and all that. I guess I must actually be doing it correctly.

If you are building charge, knocking free their souls, it is working.

psssst you can claim the 300k three times!

There's about.... 1.4m of gald needed for a couple sidequests. Though 900k of that has no time limit (and is just for comedy and outfits).

I'd use two of the 300k for the 500k you need midway through act III (not sure if that one has a time limit, though). The normal way to get stupid cash fast is the minigame area that opens when the final dungeon becomes available.
    If you go to the NW corner of the map you'll find an island with a school on it, it's flooded until the end of the game. There's a poker minigame that you can easily get shitloads of tokens out of, then trade those for stacks of Holy Avenger+1s to sell.

Also, the accessories you can get are all really good. Final Symbol is nice all around, Mystic Bangle is a godsend for the coliseum (10% HP/TP healed on kill), and Risky Ring is the ultimate in blah blah blah (all artes and spells cost 1 TP at the cost of halving your defenses. Half defense does not matter when you have permanent tidal wave going)

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Hearing people complain about going back to Vesperia after Berseria is very exciting, because I haven't played Berseria yet but I am hoping to sometime this year and I am getting amazingly hyped. Better than Vesperia???!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    Honestly I just like the TP-less battle system more.

TP management was just really a pain especially on hard where enemy HP values are doubled.

I think people just have different things that they want from a Tales game.

Other than missing out on modern conveniences like save-anywhere, I'd take Vesperia over Berseria any day. The game is gorgeous, the world is handcrafted and detailed, and I love the characters and setting. I find the battle system to be engaging and a ton of fun, even though it's apparently slow and archaic for others. I'm loving this replay of Vesperia way more than any new Tales game since Vesperia's original launch.

Berseria is fine, but didn't hook me like it did for others. All the recent Tales games (Xillia, Xillia 2, Zesteria, Berseria) suffer similar problems for me. While the character models are great, the worlds themselves are bland to look at and boring to explore. The games are all so similar to each other that they come across as formulaic, cookie-cutter, and unambitious. I can't say anything about the combat because I genuinely don't remember anything about it.

YMMV