As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] 2B for Xmas

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    i dont think ive ever played sf5 single player stuff

Well I don't have plus, so it's all I can play.

That's why I went Galaxy Brain and got it on PC, so I could deal drivers and rootkits instead of paying for multiplayer.

I'm fine with the f2p model, since it's entirely optional. If you pay real money, that's about the price for extra characters in other games anyway.

I just wish they would have gone all the way. SFV in the LoL model.

I got it for dirt cheap on black friday, so it seemed the happiest medium. I'm sure I'd get wrecked online, anyway. I mostly just wanted to get a feel for nu-Sakura and see story mode.

If you ever get online, jump into the PA fighting Discord. There are plenty of peeps at a variety of skill levels to learn with.

Is there a link? Just got a 3 monther.

https://discord.gg/MWEWGC

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    i dont think ive ever played sf5 single player stuff

Well I don't have plus, so it's all I can play.

That's why I went Galaxy Brain and got it on PC, so I could deal drivers and rootkits instead of paying for multiplayer.

I'm fine with the f2p model, since it's entirely optional. If you pay real money, that's about the price for extra characters in other games anyway.

I just wish they would have gone all the way. SFV in the LoL model.

I got it for dirt cheap on black friday, so it seemed the happiest medium. I'm sure I'd get wrecked online, anyway. I mostly just wanted to get a feel for nu-Sakura and see story mode.

If you ever get online, jump into the PA fighting Discord. There are plenty of peeps at a variety of skill levels to learn with.

Is there a link? Just got a 3 monther.

https://discord.gg/MWEWGC

Ha, I just copied one too. I should refresh faster!

@cj iwakura I usually play on PC, but I'll be happy to hop on PS4 if you give me an @ on Discord. I've got SFV, SC6, and T7 on console.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I heard Zangief was ass in SFV, so along with being PS4 only and not xbox, it's always been a pass for me. I loved 4 though.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I heard Zangief was ass in SFV, so along with being PS4 only and not xbox, it's always been a pass for me. I loved 4 though.

Not this season. He just got some significant buffs in the most recent patch.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    He was low tier to start off in Season 1, got relatively good again in Season 2, nerfed enough in Season 3 that most of the pro Zangief mains switched to Abigail instead, and now with Season 4 he seems to be back somewhat.

• Options

It works great on PC. I even got me laptop to play it in low spec mode.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely getting the Sakura groove back. She's different, but I'm acclimating.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

It works great on PC. I even got me laptop to play it in low spec mode.

I just recently got a nice laptop so it's been back on my radar. Unfortunately my stick is in storage.

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    the nrs games have some really boneheaded design decisions outside of even the wonky animations. There's a reason they are known as "rps fighters." Everything is a canned combo, but the buffering is so weird that it's impossible to hit-confirm. So it's all high/low mixups that nobody can react to, they just guess. Since everything does block damage, you spend half the round getting your health chewed on by what is essentially filler strings--what should be block strings designed to open you up in any other 2d fighter--yet the frame data is stingy and things are way too safe. You take turns flinging these canned combos at each other till someone guesses wrong. It's like they took the worst aspects of 2d fighters and married them to the worst of 3d fighters. It's unique, but that's the best I can say about it.

Don't even get me started on how projectiles work in nrs games. awful.

play ki instead if you need a western fg

Not even remotely true that NRS games don't have hit confirms, they do. They just generally work off of strings and not individual buttons. You have time to wait to finish the rest of the string, or the special cancel, just like you do eg: in Tekken for mishima 112.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Cinematic story mode reminds me a lot of the animated movie. A ton of random irrelevant vignettes with Bison drama being the forefront.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoFKPhE5s0o

Jiren, Videl, DBS Broly and Gogeta are on the way. First 2 next Thursday.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    the nrs games have some really boneheaded design decisions outside of even the wonky animations. There's a reason they are known as "rps fighters." Everything is a canned combo, but the buffering is so weird that it's impossible to hit-confirm. So it's all high/low mixups that nobody can react to, they just guess. Since everything does block damage, you spend half the round getting your health chewed on by what is essentially filler strings--what should be block strings designed to open you up in any other 2d fighter--yet the frame data is stingy and things are way too safe. You take turns flinging these canned combos at each other till someone guesses wrong. It's like they took the worst aspects of 2d fighters and married them to the worst of 3d fighters. It's unique, but that's the best I can say about it.

Don't even get me started on how projectiles work in nrs games. awful.

play ki instead if you need a western fg

Not even remotely true that NRS games don't have hit confirms, they do. They just generally work off of strings and not individual buttons. You have time to wait to finish the rest of the string, or the special cancel, just like you do eg: in Tekken for mishima 112.

No reason to waste time explaining. People in this thread hate on Nether realm games no matter how good they are. The graphics in this game look amazing but people like to talk about how bad they are. It's the Internet. Because it's fun and for caduals it sucks.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Jiren and Videl look fun. It’ll be great to never be allowed to ever see them played professionally.

• Options
    wut?

Anyway, Videl looks like she has rekkas. Reminds me a little of Guilty Gear's Jam.

Or maybe it's just the auto-combo.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Just got Tekken 7, Julia is perfection.

D0qnpQTWoAECTSU.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I met the developers for Fantasy Strike at PAX, and after playing it, I picked up a key.

And then I lost it before I could apply it to my Steam. So they gave me another the next day. They are incredibly nice folks. And Fantasy Strike seems to solve my bitchings about fighting games. FS is all about footsies, and I've never seen a combo higher than 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGwG8om99P4&t=4s

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    For all of Tekken 7's gameplay improvements, the online functionality seems very bare bones. All you can do is practice while you're waiting for a match, nothing else. Cant even view move lists, it's just straight practice.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I really like fantasy strike

their grappler is straight BS tho

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I havent played it in a while, but i always hated playing against gieger much more than rook

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    We've gotten Regular Goku, Super Goku, Blue Goku, Evil Goku, Son of Goku, Vegeta Goku, now get ready for... Mini Goku!

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019/mar/15/dragon-ball-fighterz-appears-be-getting-kid-goku-dragon-ball-gt-dlc-character-season-2/

• Options
    T-Danger wrote: »
    We've gotten Regular Goku, Super Goku, Blue Goku, Evil Goku, Son of Goku, Vegeta Goku, now get ready for... Mini Goku!

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019/mar/15/dragon-ball-fighterz-appears-be-getting-kid-goku-dragon-ball-gt-dlc-character-season-2/

Did you miss Dad of Goku?

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    One Punch Man is actually getting a fighting game, and it has a pretty clever workaround for making Saitama a somewhat fair character.

If you select him for your team, he won't be immediately playable. Instead you have to keep your remaining characters alive until a timer counts down, at which point Saitama will appear and you can one hit kill your opponents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Co6-oryLFY

• Options
    One Punch Man is actually getting a fighting game, and it has a pretty clever workaround for making Saitama a somewhat fair character.

If you select him for your team, he won't be immediately playable. Instead you have to keep your remaining characters alive until a timer counts down, at which point Saitama will appear and you can one hit kill your opponents.

Wow, play lame for a hundred and twenty seconds, then auto win? Was this game made specifically for Justin Wong?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Wow, play lame for a hundred and twenty seconds, then auto win? Was this game made specifically for Justin Wong?

I immediately thought of Phoenix.

Yeah, I'll pass.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    What happens when Saitama vs. Saitama? Also, probably banned from tournaments.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    New trailer for the new Guilty Gear, giving us a quick glimspe of May.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJki_1XHbX0

Besides the incredible visuals, what really strikes me is that everyone so far is wearing regular clothing, instead of the overly complicated, multi-layered outfits no one would ever realistically wear, even in Guilty Gear's weird world.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    And Kazunoko helped showcase Gogeta. (Comes on the 26 of the month.)

He has a level 5 and a level 1 that can spend an extra bar to extend it into the Stardust Punisher. Kinda like Beerus' fireball.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    And Kazunoko helped showcase Gogeta. (Comes on the 26 of the month.)

He has a level 5 and a level 1 that can spend an extra bar to extend it into the Stardust Punisher. Kinda like Beerus' fireball.

Oh! Is there a trailer or video available? I should probably take advantage of this week's sale and pick up a bunch of DBFZ characters. I'm kinda bored with the main roster. Any recommendations? I just want to branch out from SSJ Goku.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    https://youtu.be/KFT7JZT4bRQ

Check the half section of the video. Only caught a glimpse cuz I'm at work.

More info here: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019/sep/13/super-saiyan-blue-gogeta-releases-september-26-first-gameplay-shown-kazunoko-dragon-ball-fighterz-tokyo-game-show-2019/

Can't say much of the dlc cuz I suck at fighting games. But from tournaments Bardock and GT Goku are top tier picks (could get nerfs in the Gogeta patch).

Most of the dlc characters seem fun but a good deal of them lack the low 2L to open opponent's defense (say old Broly).

Base Vegeta and Base Goku are nice if you like doing long combos.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Soul caliber 6 is on game pass. Can someone explain the story mode? I created a character, did a little of that, then went to story mode. Saw yhere was main story abd little snippets from the created character?

Does it tie together? Is there no classic arcade mode with a boss anf a story at the end?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Soul Chronicle has a main path that mostly follows Kilik and friends to their victory over Nightmare, as well as smaller side story segments for most characters in the game. Rather than being alternate takes as in the original arcade, all of the stories are part of a single canon continuity. Which means quite a few characters have filler stories where not much of importance happens. But as someone who was confused by some of the arcade endings in the original, this does give you a ton more context on each character and their motivations.

Libra of Soul is an alternate telling that revolves around your created character. So its separate from the canon continuity in Soul Chronicle. I haven't played it yet so can't say much beyond that.

There is an arcade mode under battle but it has zero story elements.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Soul Chronicle has a main path that mostly follows Kilik and friends to their victory over Nightmare, as well as smaller side story segments for most characters in the game. Rather than being alternate takes as in the original arcade, all of the stories are part of a single canon continuity. Which means quite a few characters have filler stories where not much of importance happens. But as someone who was confused by some of the arcade endings in the original, this does give you a ton more context on each character and their motivations.

Libra of Soul is an alternate telling that revolves around your created character. So its separate from the canon continuity in Soul Chronicle. I haven't played it yet so can't say much beyond that.

There is an arcade mode under battle but it has zero story elements.

Libra is fine if you liked silly modifiers from other SC games, but the AI doesn't get any more engaging. The storytelling is better than I expected, but it's all delivered in PS1-style walls of text with an occasional voice clip interjection.

Honestly, the multiplayer is the main draw, and the netcode is better than I expected. Not as good as, for example, KI, but very serviceable.

• Options
    So it's not mk in terms of story or even stupid fun like tekken?

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/05/street-fighter-v-summer-update-new-characters-esports-news-and-more/
    I absolutely love the fact that Dan's forward-throw is actually a failed back-throw where he just basically gives up halfway through lol

SabreMau on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I always hate seeing Dan get into the roster. That's just a spot that could have been filled by a better, non-joke character.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Dan Hibiki is real, strong, and my friend.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Don’t hate on Dan.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I have no concern one way or another, my fighting game days are long gone. Just sucks seeing Dan in the final 5 characters when characters like Fei Long, T.Hawk, Sean, C, Viper, Guy, Eagle, Adon, Rolento, Dee Jay, Gen, Maki, Makoto, Q, Remy, Twelve, Elena, Dudley, Sodom, Necro, Yun, and Yang are all missing. Sure, you may not like or agree with those characters, but certainly there's at least 1-2 that deserve a spot over Dan.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page