As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dinos and Druids, A Tasty Romp through Table Top Games

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Tonight in the Marvel game I'm playing in, our team, who are trapped in an alternate universe where HYDRA won WWII, went full Wolfenstein, hijacked the HYDRA Hellicarrier, and superheroed our way through an army of Nazis on the Moon. Also I rolled to hack the planet and got to make a big speech that appeared on every TV and billboard across the globe telling people to rise up. It felt 100% great and I am still jazzed many hours later.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Clobbering nazi scum is always good.

That sounds like a great game!

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    "Lady... That the best you got? Then your best won't do. You among wolves now... and this is our forest.

EXCELSIOR! Seeya next time true believers!"

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    https://clips.twitch.tv/HorribleNaiveGullVoteYea

Cast announcement for the Rat Queens RPG that Hyper RPG will be airing. I believe they're using Dungeon World.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    This is fun, I really like this concept.

Lowen Willow, elf composer/songwriter/wizard/fighter on the keyboard. Left the elven lands after no one there appreciated his decidedly nontraditional, un-Enya-like compositions. Definitely has never used unfathomable arcane powers to plagiarize songs from other planes of existence. Why, are you an outsider? An outsider cop? You have to tell him if you're a outsider cop, that's like a rule or something. It's pure coincidence that these melodies sound a little bit like the ones in Phlegmaar the Pustulent, 117th Duke of Needle Hell's second album.

Red, human rogue on the bass guitar and vocals. Found naked and starving in the wilderness. Claims she's not a human, and is on a quest for revengeance (good song title) against the asshole wizard who super-polymorphed her into one and teleported away with all her stuff. But no one is falling for that shit. Oh, and the wizard cursed you so that no one would believe your dumb story? How convenient. Having a stuck up personality and being the stingiest hoarder who ever refused to help pay for drinks doesn't make you a dragon, Deborah. She does killer death metal screaming though.

The manager is an oath of redemption paladin, because they're the only ones who would have the patience to deal with the band's clashing egos.

• Options
    Man there is so many oddball settings I want to play in or run.

Like wouldn’t it be neat if super powered individuals were cheap TV wrestlers in a world where most people have super powers and the age of super heroes and villains was basically over?

What if Kabbalist sorcerers during WW2 were fighting against Nazi demonologists?

How about smugglers in a quarantined city in Spain who pose as “tulip peddlers”, and no one even knows why it’s quarantined?

Consider: Helping to build a cute Harvest Moon style farming community after the end of civilisation.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Further thoughts about my Robo-Paladin.

Switched from Oath of Devotion to Oath of the Crown. I think the former is stronger for general use, but the latter fits the character concept better, and offers tactical options that I find more interesting, especially all the aggro management stuff. A lot of my character concepts recently have had some element of law enforcement to them, which is weird contrasted with my RL attitudes (see: Police, Fuck The), but I think it's still about fantasy wish fulfillment. It's just that one of my strongest fantasies right now seems to be for a universe where I could actually trust and respect a cop. Also, I think his integrated tools will be a Calligraphy kit, because the DM is considering running this as an Acquisitions Incorporated franchise, and this character has Documancer written all over him. It was going to be Smith's Tools, because I liked the imagery of his torso filling with forge flames and him kneeling and using one of his thighs as an anvil, but then I went off on a backstory-bloat binge, and now that imagery belongs to his sibling the Forge Cleric.

The guy who's putting this game together is talking about streaming it, which makes me a little nervous because I've never actually played with this group before, and as far as I know none of them have played together either. But everyone involved so far seem like good folks, so I'm just going to go for it and if it turns out to be a mess, that's all right, it's still a learning experience. If I wasn't assembling equipment for another project with @Doobh though, I'd be a lot more nervous.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Damn, that robo got anvil thigh!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Consider: Helping to build a cute Harvest Moon style farming community after the end of civilisation.

Yes, it's called Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, what did you want to know?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    A World of Darkness campaign based on World War 2 would probably be ill. And basically Bloodrayne but hey.

Remember Bloodrayne? Damn I haven't thought about that game in years.

I'm always afraid to touch wartime settings in games, at least real world or real world adjacent settings. I don't know why, really, it just always felt weird to me?

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

Switched from Oath of Devotion to Oath of the Crown. I think the former is stronger for general use, but the latter fits the character concept better, and offers tactical options that I find more interesting, especially all the aggro management stuff. A lot of my character concepts recently have had some element of law enforcement to them, which is weird contrasted with my RL attitudes (see: Police, Fuck The), but I think it's still about fantasy wish fulfillment. It's just that one of my strongest fantasies right now seems to be for a universe where I could actually trust and respect a cop. Also, I think his integrated tools will be a Calligraphy kit, because the DM is considering running this as an Acquisitions Incorporated franchise, and this character has Documancer written all over him. It was going to be Smith's Tools, because I liked the imagery of his torso filling with forge flames and him kneeling and using one of his thighs as an anvil, but then I went off on a backstory-bloat binge, and now that imagery belongs to his sibling the Forge Cleric.

The guy who's putting this game together is talking about streaming it, which makes me a little nervous because I've never actually played with this group before, and as far as I know none of them have played together either. But everyone involved so far seem like good folks, so I'm just going to go for it and if it turns out to be a mess, that's all right, it's still a learning experience. If I wasn't assembling equipment for another project with Doobh though, I'd be a lot more nervous.

you'll get used to being broadcasted within a week, probably

like I'm a super big grumpus, hate my voice (for big dysphoric reasons), and generally like to spend a lot of alone time and I still managed to get a handle on things pretty quickly

you're a whole lot more gregarious than I am; I think you'll do great

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    it's that time of year again where i am thinking about a fantasy survival game set in a snowpocalypse

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    it's that time of year again where i am thinking about a fantasy survival game set in a snowpocalypse

What would be the framing of the adventure? Something out of Frostpunk? People native to that environment or caught out of their element?

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

What would be the framing of the adventure? Something out of Frostpunk? People native to that environment or caught out of their element?

iunno, the first thought is of course "what if winter came, and then never left?" and then eventually, supplies are running low and someone is like "alright, we need to figure out what happened, hire everyone you can, we gotta find out if like, the god of spring died, did the sun explode? what the hell?" and then roll from there.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Doobh wrote: »

The guy who's putting this game together is talking about streaming it, which makes me a little nervous because I've never actually played with this group before, and as far as I know none of them have played together either. But everyone involved so far seem like good folks, so I'm just going to go for it and if it turns out to be a mess, that's all right, it's still a learning experience. If I wasn't assembling equipment for another project with Doobh though, I'd be a lot more nervous.

you'll get used to being broadcasted within a week, probably

like I'm a super big grumpus, hate my voice (for big dysphoric reasons), and generally like to spend a lot of alone time and I still managed to get a handle on things pretty quickly

you're a whole lot more gregarious than I am; I think you'll do great

Oh yeah, I have no doubts about my ability to make my character do a bunch of stuff that I'll find entertaining (and that by extension other people will probably also find entertaining unless I get too far up my own butt), it's more a question of group chemistry that I'm worried about. I mean, I'm always nervous about that with any new group, but this time it's amplified by the possibility of the results being recorded and posted.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

My go-to concept for this is to take it to Ravenloft and run it in the cluster they made up of all their arctic domains.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    A World of Darkness campaign based on World War 2 would probably be ill. And basically Bloodrayne but hey.

Remember Bloodrayne? Damn I haven't thought about that game in years.

I'm always afraid to touch wartime settings in games, at least real world or real world adjacent settings. I don't know why, really, it just always felt weird to me?

i wanna be clear here and say that it's not weird to include warfare in a campaign, even ones that showcase the realities of war! i just never felt like i could do justice to the themes and nuances and stuff, i dunno.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    the magic items are getting Real in the late game

DyDWBq-XgAM08Cz.jpg%3Alarge

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Are you fighting a bunch of stuff with fire resist?

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

nnnnope. solidly cold-aspected void monsters

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Fuckin lol enjoy being a walking fireball every two rounds forever

• Options

Fuckin lol enjoy being a walking fireball every two rounds forever

well every one round for me I can detonate my spiritual weapon now

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    When do *I* get fancy shit

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Glazius wrote: »

Yes, it's called Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, what did you want to know?

Everything.
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

iunno, the first thought is of course "what if winter came, and then never left?" and then eventually, supplies are running low and someone is like "alright, we need to figure out what happened, hire everyone you can, we gotta find out if like, the god of spring died, did the sun explode? what the hell?" and then roll from there.

I never ran it, but the first ever setting I ever sat down and wrote was one where Winter murdered the other seasons. This is well before I learned to have a lighter touch and be a fan of the players.

I wish I still had the files on it, I bet it’s so awful!

• Options
    i am thinking if it did go the divine route either the god of winter is the villain, or the PCs show up and winter is like "oh fucking hell, what the hell kept you? i've been waiting for my shift to end fo months. I have to pee so bad, oh my god"

• Options
    What’s the story behind “Banner Saga”? That seems to have an eternal winter going on.

• Options
    When do *I* get fancy shit

Sorry, you just lose finger's

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    i am thinking if it did go the divine route either the god of winter is the villain, or the PCs show up and winter is like "oh fucking hell, what the hell kept you? i've been waiting for my shift to end fo months. I have to pee so bad, oh my god"

Second one sounds way more entertaining, and lets you cast summer as some laid-back surfer type who's in no hurry to pick it up, or similar.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    What’s the story behind “Banner Saga”? That seems to have an eternal winter going on.

I think it's just that they're in a wintery place. Technically their whole thing is that the sun has stopped moving through the sky and they are trapped in perpetual twilight. By the second game you end up travelling to less snowy locations.

• Options

The god of spring was kidnapped by another deity, but the two ended up hitting it off and hanging out for too long. The party will need to socially engineer a break up to end the winter.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    So the character creation session for my Genesys Cyberpunk game set in the Android setting is happening this weekend. I am planning on using @Albino Bunny’s idea of having the characters all have a massive debt / secret over their heads that is ‘acquired’ by a mysterious third party. The campaign is going to be about 50% episodic / player goal driven, but with the other 50% related to their nebulous benefactor’s goals.

On the remote chance one of my players comes into the thread, I’ll put my ideas behind spoilers (no Necos allowed!)
    The party’s benefactor has the goal of creating what they call a ‘Pure AI’—ie one whose intelligence is not derived from a digital map of a human brain. They believe that this new being will bring about a true technological Singularity.

(As an aside, APEX will be a failed prototype version of this pure AI in my game.)

In my version of the setting there was a smaller independent research lab trying to build one of these at the same time Haas-Bioroid was developing brain mapping tech. HB outmaneuvered the smaller group and ended up buying nearly all of the smaller companies assets once they were driven bankrupt. But someone found out that one server not connected to the network is out there somewhere, and there will be a race on between various groups to find this. HB because they want any potential competitor to brain mapping to not be developed, Jinteki because they figured it HB wants it, various .org crime because they know whatever it is is valuable, and the PCs.

The second act will work out the fallout from whoever recovers the server.

One of my players also wrote their characters background. That PC is an ex-corporate runner who apparently released an experimental AI onto the network. Which means I think I know who the benefactor is going to be...

The benefactor will also give them a business front as a base. I need to work out who the NPCs in the neighborhood that the base isn’t located are going to be, and probably need to have more than 2 plot-adjacent mission ideas down. GMing is a lot of work.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Diplomacy is probably one of my favorite games of all time but it is about a million times better when played online. If there's any interest I'd be happy to facilitate a game over in Critical Failures.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    the swordmage was pretty legit, from what I recall

i played swordmage is also good, it is a fairly good tank though isn't the best at punishing.

I forget what the official name of it was, but back in ye olde 4e days, WotC would provide oneshot modules for DMs to run at their FLGS once a week, to help get new people into the game and whatnot.

For one of them I made a fire genasi swordmage, who was meant to be played with my ex's wizard, who went all in on fire spells.

The whole deal was he'd plant himself in the middle of as many enemies as possible and then go "everybody hang out here for a few. We're gonna get toasty. "

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I saw a sword literally called THE SWORD OF TEMPORAL JUSTICE today in London. Probably one of the coolest names I've seen for a weapon and immediately made me think final boss artifact.

But nope, real sword. Used for coronations for the UK monarchy.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    gotta make some stuff for my players for tomorrow, hmm. They're in a Harbor town, fishmonsters, there we go.

some will attack, some will shoot acidic mucus, and there will be occasional Large ones.

and they gotta fight their way to Giddyink Biblefeather, the Sage who has studied the Ancient Texts, to find their next Materia

boy I am glad my Party isn't super demanding with backstory and stuff and I can just improv NPC encounters

• Options
    The leader of the fish people carries an emerald staff and can cast Aire Tam Storm

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    finally, a campaign where the trident of fish command is over powered.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    harbor town
    fish men
    treasure
    ... ghooooost piraaaates?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    What if you went all Legend of Zelda and the fishmen are the townsfolk. Then the bad guys are a paramilitary unit after the Materia to power their giant mecha!

The only thing that can stand against it is a haunted pirate ship!

Can they convince the dread captain to help them?!

Will they learn the secret water karate technique from old man Hammerhead?!

Also yeah, treasure!