As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Ok I'm doing something wrong. I admit I'm a newb. I got all the gear, not great stats, for my DH but I can't seem to push past GR 51 solo. I feel so damn squishy. My only difference is I'm doing the cold version vs the fire version. Halp? Oh and I'm missing Frostburn in my cube.

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Banzai5150-1859/hero/108048552

50433.png?1708759015
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I finally did my “Torment X rift in 2 minutes” conquest, solo. I had to put together a whole multi shot speed build and it still took me quite awhile. I got it much faster last season.

I have to find a good cursed chest bounty for the “kill 350 enemies during a cursed chest event” conquest. I just don’t want to do the Boss Mode again. I just can’t get the Act V bounty people are recommending to pop up.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I finally did my “Torment X rift in 2 minutes” conquest, solo. I had to put together a whole multi shot speed build and it still took me quite awhile. I got it much faster last season.

I have to find a good cursed chest bounty for the “kill 350 enemies during a cursed chest event” conquest. I just don’t want to do the Boss Mode again. I just can’t get the Act V bounty people are recommending to pop up.

If you want, one of these nights Zero and I can run you through Boss Mode. It is really easy with DHs and UE. Plus I really love running that conquest for some sick reason. The curses one is also annoying (and easier in a group to fish for the event).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    I'm getting close to the point where all I need is two Conquests to get my stash slot. I'm hoping a ringer or two in the guild will help me as well.

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Ok I'm doing something wrong. I admit I'm a newb. I got all the gear, not great stats, for my DH but I can't seem to push past GR 51 solo. I feel so damn squishy. My only difference is I'm doing the cold version vs the fire version. Halp? Oh and I'm missing Frostburn in my cube.

You need a crit gem in your weapon, biggest thing by far. You should be pretty squishy, lose the all resist and get dex gems and maybe roll vitality on your pants, shoulders and chest. Your goal is to never be hit and frostburn will help a lot so spend blood shards on gloves till you get it.

Seal on
  • zerospace195zerospace195 stuck in an infinite loop Registered User regular

I play N6M4 a lot, so lemme see if I can help =).

Your gear isn't bad, and even missing frostburn should definitely not keep you from being able to clear T13 difficulty with ease. For now, I'd cube a leoric's crown and use that for your cube armor slot. Most of your damage at T13 and lower is coming from the Nats and Marauder set bonuses anyways (anything above this is pretty much overkill. this build is very, very OP - your crit numbers should show this). If you feel too squish, are you remembering to pop RoV as often as possible? It's a huge source of damage mitigation thanks to the nats 6pc bonus. You need it. Use RoV to your advantage against elites and bosses, too. It freezes them. You also might want to swap that topaz in your helm for amethyst. The bigger health pool will help keep you from being one-shot.

Your gear has a lot of all-res rather than vit. You might roll that extra sentry damage off your chest piece and get some vit there instead. When you get better rolled chest armor, then try to get dex, vit, sentry %. Enchant those nats pants! You have dex, all-res and grenade dmg. You can pick up some vit there, too.

I don't recall exactly what the meta is, but I don't use ballistics with the cold build (I also buck the meta by not using steady aim. I always find the mobs are too thick and trying to stay clear of monsters to keep the steady aim buff active is worthless. I use ambush instead). Try thrill of the hunt rather than ballistics.

You have a TON of RCR. Yeah it's important, but this build will absolutely crush resource no matter how much RCR you have. Probably the hardest thing to learn is to manage resource with the cold build -- I pretty much am always alternating generator shots with cluster arrow shots, and only pop your companion when you're low on resource (since the bat companion restores resource, and you get the effect of all of them with the marauder set bonus).

Check out my seasonal DH "foofi": (sorry, her jewelry is in my stash, since I swap gems between my DH and wiz -- but her jewelry is pledge/compass rose and nats ring)
    https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/zerospace-1802/hero/71074214

And if I'm online, feel free to join me. I've played this build for the past 3 seasons, I'm sure I can help you learn to play it.

edited January 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »

If you want, one of these nights Zero and I can run you through Boss Mode. It is really easy with DHs and UE. Plus I really love running that conquest for some sick reason. The curses one is also annoying (and easier in a group to fish for the event).

That would be great! Are you guys playing on the Switch?

Drez on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular

I don't recall exactly what the meta is, but I don't use ballistics with the cold build (I also buck the meta by not using steady aim. I always find the mobs are too thick and trying to stay clear of monsters to keep the steady aim buff active is worthless. I use ambush instead). Try thrill of the hunt rather than ballistics.

I don't follow your reasoning here. I'm pretty sure maelstrom still has the main damage component plus rockets ( 650+450x3, or 650+900x3 w/ ballistics ). The difference wouldn't be as noticeable in a crowd, but that's a pretty big difference against the guardian.

Either way, Thrill of the Hunt is redundant because you should already be keeping enemies covered by polar stations.

The biggest thing that immediately stands out is that Banzai's DH only has 320k hp. That's very low. Worry about area damage later and get Vit on gloves and quiver instead. Vit on pants in place of grenades as Zero suggested. Swap armor on belt to % life.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular

I'm not sure how well this will translate at higher GRs but I've done OK up to GR72 with similar gear. I think the biggest thing to get used to was that most of the mobs should die before you see them - throw the sentry at the edge of the screen and fire off a few CA's, then advance.

>_< Unfortunately not. I have not bought the Switch version yet.

oosik_betsuni.png

>_< Unfortunately not. I have not bought the Switch version yet.

Got it! Thanks for the offer all the same!

• JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Everyone else had good points, but this is the priority list, imo:
    1 - Socket on Weapon -> Emerald in Weapon
    ---> 1.a. Run bounties in TX+ and keep re-rolling until you get an ancient weapon. Also, you can probably roll the +RoV damage into a socket for now if you don't have a gift to spare for this weapon. RoV is not a big part of your damage, so there's not really any reason to try to buff it.

Those two things are enough to bump you into the 70s GR, and it makes all the lower GRs easier as well. Things die too fast to hurt you.

2 - Socket on your Compass Rose -> Legendary Gem. You can use something like Esoteric Alteration if you're still feeling squishy, but ideally you'll use Enforcer. Unlike +Sentry%, this is a multiplicative damage amp for your sentries and will be a much bigger jump in damage than adding more +Sentry%. Your quiver already is giving +81%, so having another +30% on your chest/shoulders isn't worth it (yet).

Those are the biggest upgrades to damage you'll see. The next ones are all going to be small increases in either damage, efficiency, or toughness. Do them at your convenience:

Shoulders:
    These are typically one of your 3 big toughness slots. You want Dex, Vit, All res here. The last stat can be Sentry % or RCR. Right now your shoulders provide virtually no mitigation, and that's bad (armor on DEX class is bad because your Dex already = Armor). Later on, you can switch to Dex/Sentry%/RCR/Area Damage, but early season it's helpful to have toughness stats here. So, keep the shoulders you have now in the stash and try to get a set with toughness stats on it while you're building out your set.

Chest:
    Roll the Sentry % to Vit, and change the gems to Emeralds.

Belt:
    This is another big toughness slot. Roll the armor to Life % and you have an almost perfect belt. Alternatively, you could wear any belt you want here (basically, the first ancient you get with decent stats), and cube the Zoey's so you can get 9% toughness until you find your frostburn.

Legs:
    Grenade damage -> Vit

Helm:
    Life per hit -> Crit %. Eventually you'd like Dex/Crit/Cluster %. But for early season, I actually don't mind the Dex/Vit/Crit helms for a bit.

Quiver:
    I'd probably roll the socket to RCR or Vit (for now).

As for game play tips:
    Keep placing sentries as you vault, making sure things stay frozen. Try to stay a screen away from things as you kill them. RoV on cooldown, and ideally, try to land it on elite packs. Generally, I vault->sentry->cluster->move on for trash (when it's big enough to warrant killing), and when I get to elites, I use generator for a bit, and dump hatred on the Fire rotation of CoE.

Realistically, I think if you get an emerald in your weapon, and Enforcer in your compass rose, you're going to start popping things so fast you'll stop even worrying about survivability into the GR90 range. At which point it mostly becomes a case of "don't get hit or you die no matter what" kind of thing, so you mostly just try to keep things at the edge of the screen and murder them from afar.

Edit: Also, just to add. That Compass Rose is junk now, basically. For future reference, you almost always want to roll the movement speed % into a socket (as you can max movement speed from Paragon Points). Compass Roses are one of the worst items to try to find a good one. I usually have to settle for Dex + 1 Crit Stat and that's the best I ever end up with. But ideally, you want Crit %, Crit Damage, Area damage. Good luck.

JustTee on
    Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
    edited January 2019
    Thank you all for the help and advice. I've rerolled your suggestions and gemmed as you suggested where I can. I'm out of Emeralds so I got one in my chest for now, and finally have enforcer in my compass rose. As for rerolling things with the cube I'm low on mats from gambling to get some of this gear and upgrading, etc. I'll be asking more help type questions after I give this a run on GR50 to see how it does for me. I do try to keep sentries out in front on the edge of the screen as much as possible, and do use my RoV all the time. The only thing I tend to forget is my Pets but I'm getting in the habit of using them finally.

Again, much thanks!

edit: Did a GR60 in 7:42 without too much problem. just gotta not jump to deep into a mass of monsters that leave shit on the ground.

edit2: 65 - 8:02

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I was starting to slow down around GR84 with my Natalya/Marauder DH, going with Elemental Arrow to make use of a nice ancient Augustine's Panacea and a cubed Kridershot. Then I finally found a Manticore to cube, switched to Cluster, and now I'm blasting through GRs with plenty of time to spare.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Got a few legendaries with a +dmg to Hammer of the Ancients, so now I'm just playing whack-a-mole.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I've got enough pieces to do n6m4 now, but it doesn't feel great to me... I've gone back to my previous build for now. It's natalya, my bow and quiver legendary abilities boost multishot, my bow has -50% resource cost, so I basically just keep RoV up and spam multishot everywhere. It feels much more powerful than n6m4's style of drop a sentry, hit RoV, fire elemental arrow.

By the way, is there an equivalent of this for switch users?

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Hooooly shit that Nat 6-piece is crazy bonkers tho. I'm a dumbass and didn't realise I had completed the 6-piece Haedrig's, so I went from 0 to 6-piece in one go. I bumped up the difficulty 6 torment levels and didn't even one-shot my first rift guardian, he 'sploded from my sentries before I could even get a Cluster arrow off.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Got the basic stuff to make a Tal-Rasha set and beat GR70. Got a primal Bul-Kathos's Wedding Band for my follower. Now to work on upgrading equipment.

steam_sig.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So it's the crusader armor I do want so do I want to suffer though that slog fest again? It is the same old build shown here?

I know I really want those wings as well but it's like watching paint dry with a crusader

I've got enough pieces to do n6m4 now, but it doesn't feel great to me... I've gone back to my previous build for now. It's natalya, my bow and quiver legendary abilities boost multishot, my bow has -50% resource cost, so I basically just keep RoV up and spam multishot everywhere. It feels much more powerful than n6m4's style of drop a sentry, hit RoV, fire elemental arrow.

By the way, is there an equivalent of this for switch users?

Sadly no.

I think you must be doing something fundamentally wrong here. I've only got 6Nat 2Marauder, nothing at all in the cube, none of the survivability items (Zoey's Belt, Wraps of Clarity, Endless Walk Set), 300 paragons less than you, and I just cleared GR48 in under 4 minutes.

This may be a dumb question, but are you forgetting to cast RoV before engaging? Survivability doesn't matter to me at this point because everything's dead before I can even see it, but if I don't have the Nat6 RoV buff up I can't kill shit.

Spaffy wrote: »

I think you must be doing something fundamentally wrong here. I've only got 6Nat 2Marauder, nothing at all in the cube, none of the survivability items (Zoey's Belt, Wraps of Clarity, Endless Walk Set), 300 paragons less than you, and I just cleared GR48 in under 4 minutes.

This may be a dumb question, but are you forgetting to cast RoV before engaging? Survivability doesn't matter to me at this point because everything's dead before I can even see it, but if I don't have the Nat6 RoV buff up I can't kill shit.

I’m doing fine now. Just pushed past GR70 yesterday.

50433.png?1708759015
    Ooh, an ancient helm that's better than my current one! I should switch to that... as soon as I enchant it. Oh, I need more forgotten souls, I'll just grab some junk from my stash, salvage it all... and where did that new helm go?

Bugger.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Happens to all of us man. :(

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    I found a really sweet ancient Yangs, I reroll the stamina into something better. Right after I hit the button I realized it didn't have discipline (the multishot build gets an absurd % dmg boost from each point of disc). Whoopsie, an enormous upgrade reduced to a slight upgrade.

Unrelated to my farming build I managed to make it onto the DH leaderboard via the power of turrets.

Seal wrote: »
    I found a really sweet ancient Yangs, I reroll the stamina into something better. Right after I hit the button I realized it didn't have discipline (the multishot build gets an absurd % dmg boost from each point of disc). Whoopsie, an enormous upgrade reduced to a slight upgrade.

Unrelated to my farming build I managed to make it onto the DH leaderboard via the power of turrets.

I just got the last set piece I needed to run this build.

Holy shit. I bumped the difficulty up to torment 13 and cleared a rift in under 3 minutes. This is so much more fun than a sentry-based build.

Holy shit. I bumped the difficulty up to torment 13 and cleared a rift in under 3 minutes. This is so much more fun than a sentry-based build.

Wait till you try Shadow.

Although it seems I'm the only one who loves Shadow these days. Everyone else runs Nats/Marauder or UE.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular

Although it seems I'm the only one who loves Shadow these days. Everyone else runs Nats/Marauder or UE.

Hey guys, check out the hipster over here still liking shadow DH.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed Nats FoK.
    It was way more sturdy than I expected and having a delete elite button is nice, even if you are waiting on CoE in high grifts.

I had good drops, made it to 80 solo before I petered out. And that was before I finished levelling gems really.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    I actually have basic builds for all four DH sets, and I’m not a huge fan of Shadow of Marauder.

I love RoV as my high powered pushing build, but my absolute favorite is my less-powered Multishot speed build. Holy shit this thing is fast. Avarice Band + Boon of the Hoarder keeps me at light speed. Then add in Goldwrap which keeps me pretty much invincible. It’s terible for high greater rifts since no gold is dropping and that’s a prerequisite for the build but within T13 normal rifts, it’s a turbo jet. Almost as fun as WoL Sunwuko monk was last season.

I’m working on a Wizard now. I have like 2 pieces from most of the Wizard sets but that’s not enough.

I’ve been farming bloodshards, death’s breath, and rift keys with my DH since I can usually clear a T13 rift in 2-4 minutes unless I get a really bad map, and then I switch to my Wizard and gamble and upgrade to try to get set pieces. Is there a faster way to think him (solo) that I’m missing?

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I’ve been farming bloodshards, death’s breath, and rift keys with my DH since I can usually clear a T13 rift in 2-4 minutes unless I get a really bad map, and then I switch to my Wizard and gamble and upgrade to try to get set pieces. Is there a faster way to think him (solo) that I’m missing?

The only faster way would be to get in a group with 1-3 other wizards who are already geared up and pass you the stuff they don't need.

steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I actually have basic builds for all four DH sets, and I’m not a huge fan of Shadow of Marauder.

I love RoV as my high powered pushing build, but my absolute favorite is my less-powered Multishot speed build. Holy shit this thing is fast. Avarice Band + Boon of the Hoarder keeps me at light speed. Then add in Goldwrap which keeps me pretty much invincible. It’s terible for high greater rifts since no gold is dropping and that’s a prerequisite for the build but within T13 normal rifts, it’s a turbo jet. Almost as fun as WoL Sunwuko monk was last season.

I’m working on a Wizard now. I have like 2 pieces from most of the Wizard sets but that’s not enough.

It sounds like you're doing things right. Cubing any dupe set pieces for pieces you're missing I assume?
    Only faster thing I can think of would be to rift with the Wizard (or, duo with a wizard and beg for their drops) so you gain the benefits of the drops there as well, rather than just gambling for them.

• RussadRussad MARegistered User regular

Fist bump, Shadow buddy!

I like Maruader and UE, but I prefer Shadow to either. I've never liked Nats. I've tried it 2 or 3 times, and I just hate it.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I prefer Impale even though it wasn't quite as powerful as multishot. It is just so tanky that I don't have to worry about dodging every little effect or killing stuff offscreen to make any progress. The one small downside is you need to be facing fairly high level enemies to get the most out of it since the power refund only kicks in if you hit something with impale more than once, so at low levels I run out of power due to one shotting everything.

steam_sig.png
    edited January 2019
    Klatu wrote: »

Hey guys, check out the hipster over here still liking shadow DH.

I know you know you are jealous of my ability to stay alive in all of the GRs we run.

There is the Meteor build that runs with Aether Walker that allows you to teleport faster. It isn't nearly as fast as UE DH, but still is pretty fast. I used to also run a build that utilized the Explosive Blast and Orb of Infinite Depth where you just run around popping like a kid with bubble wrap as well. Forgot the exact builds for both now since I am terrible at remembering things in D3 for some reason.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    see317 wrote: »

It sounds like you're doing things right. Cubing any dupe set pieces for pieces you're missing I assume?
    Only faster thing I can think of would be to rift with the Wizard (or, duo with a wizard and beg for their drops) so you gain the benefits of the drops there as well, rather than just gambling for them.

Correct on cubing dupe set items to convert to another item but I don’t have any dupes yet.

Re: Wizard rifts: I played with this a bit but I can only handle around GR15 and T4 normal (problematically). And it takes me forever. I think I need to close the power level gap a bit between my Wizard and my DH. I can clear a T13 normal rift pretty fast with my DH. I can get 25-40 DBs per 2-4 minutes (I use nemesis bracers too). So I think until I can get at least one 4- or 6-set Wizard bonus it’s just so much slower even while the Wizard is getting Wizard drops. But I dunno. I’ll play around some more.

Daimar wrote: »
    I prefer Impale even though it wasn't quite as powerful as multishot. It is just so tanky that I don't have to worry about dodging every little effect or killing stuff offscreen to make any progress. The one small downside is you need to be facing fairly high level enemies to get the most out of it since the power refund only kicks in if you hit something with impale more than once, so at low levels I run out of power due to one shotting everything.

Yeah one bad thing about Impale with Shadow is this. Which is why I run everything sub GR70 with Multishot UE and once I hit 70s I run Shadow.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    For the first time ever, I completed the Guardian journey and completely "finished" a season. It was in part thanks to Bets and Zero's DHs dragging me through two of the speed achievements. So then all it came down to was grinding my last two gems to 70 in GR70 rifts and spamming 60% upgrades.

I now have 3 extra stash slots, so I just need one more season to max that out. Hopefully next season, because I'd like to try WoL monk, and monk is the only class I have left to master all the set dungeons on.

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    For the first time ever, I completed the Guardian journey and completely "finished" a season. It was in part thanks to Bets and Zero's DHs dragging me through two of the speed achievements. So then all it came down to was grinding my last two gems to 70 in GR70 rifts and spamming 60% upgrades.

I now have 3 extra stash slots, so I just need one more season to max that out. Hopefully next season, because I'd like to try WoL monk, and monk is the only class I have left to master all the set dungeons on.

Bets and Zero are pretty awesome.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

What are some good replacements for The Endless Walk set for a 6N4M DH? I don't like the stop-start nature of the set at all.

This discussion has been closed.